Have we reached a post-gay America?

At first glance, the 2011 awards season for television and film would appear to be perhaps the most inclusive of queer faces and themes of any year in recent memory with shows like Glee and Modern Family, films like Kids Are All Right and the actors therein - both straight and gay, namely Chris Colfer, Jane Lynch, Eric Stonestreet and Annette ...

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“TMA&CRR One Love One Marriage ”

Since: Sep 09

port orange

#2 Mar 7, 2011
Have we reached a post-gay America?
not even close
bailout my duck

Watseka, IL

#3 Mar 7, 2011
when farts dont stink

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#4 Mar 7, 2011
The article is an interesting read, but it evades the issue of equality. Until we have equality for GLBT's, all the items in the article are mere stepping stones. All it proves is that we have gained in acceptance, but there is still a way to go.
bailout my duck

Watseka, IL

#5 Mar 7, 2011
who farted pu
RJP

United States

#6 Mar 7, 2011
How ignorant to even bring up "post gay". While it can be a sweet fairytale to tell around drinks, it is not something even close to being reality.

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#7 Mar 7, 2011
Wow, the irony. The first few words are "the 2011 awards season..."

I guess whoever wrote this article didn't watch the Oscar's because as soon as anything "gay" happened they made sure to cut-away from it and to censor it.

Since: Jan 07

Ann Arbor, MI

#8 Mar 7, 2011
"Have we reached a post-gay America?"

No. Get back to me when our marriages are provided full recognition in all 50 states and at the federal level, and when LGBTetc are covered by a comprehensive anti-discrimination law. At that point we will perhaps have finally entered a "post-gay America".

There's a danger here, as well: complacency. Those of us living in places like Michigan still face institutionalized discrimination and deeply entrenched anti-gay bigotry. We don't have even the most basic protections enjoyed by denizens of large urban areas with thriving gay populations.

What never ceases to amaze me is the assumption by many non-LGBTetc people that we already have protection from discrimination nationwide. Seriously - people who don't follow our issues or the news closely sometimes assume that increased visibility and growing societal acceptance mean that we're already there.

Meanwhile, we have a very well-organized and well-funded opposition who are actively trying to dismantle the few protections we have. We're actually in a very vulnerable position. There is a generation arising that does not know the depth of marginalization we older LGBTetc have faced. That lack of first-hand, face-to-face experience with anti-gay discrimination may translate into decreased funding for fighting our legal battles at a time when our fiercest opponents feel emboldened by the results of the 2010 elections and are making a push for widening their influence come the 2012 elections. If they succeed, we may be in deep you-know-what before we have the chance to react.

Post-gay my ass. The battle is just starting to heat up.
bailout my duck

Watseka, IL

#9 Mar 7, 2011
its a fart mandate

“Choose wisely!”

Since: Jul 07

Los Angeles

#10 Mar 7, 2011
To answer the question - not a snowball's chance in hell.

We have come far, that is certainly true. Certainly in my lifetime, I never expected us to have even one State have same-sex marriage, but we do in a few and likely a few more soon.

But the reality is that we do not have marriage equality in 50 States (and our territories) and we do have gay individuals and couples denied the right to adopt, we do have a majority of States where you can be fired from your job just for being LGBT, and so much more.

We still have a high level of fear (translated into anger, hate and violence) against LGBT citizens and even this limited world of Topix is proof of that.

We still do NOT have gay relationships and their dynamics REALISTICALLY and HONESTLY portrayed in all forms of media. I live in and work in Hollywood, the film and TV capital, and know Homosexual actors and actresses who will never publicly disclose they are gay. People who work with them know this, but the world at large? Never! It's still considered a very dangerous move to play gay in Film/TV as a career move. Why?

Well, it's certainly NOT because we live in a post-Gay America.

Eric
bailout my duck

Watseka, IL

#11 Mar 7, 2011
bad things happen when rewriting the bible.....but farting is farting
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#12 Mar 7, 2011
Inquisitarian wrote:
"Have we reached a post-gay America?"
No. Get back to me when our marriages are provided full recognition in all 50 states and at the federal level, and when LGBTetc are covered by a comprehensive anti-discrimination law. At that point we will perhaps have finally entered a "post-gay America".
There's a danger here, as well: complacency. Those of us living in places like Michigan still face institutionalized discrimination and deeply entrenched anti-gay bigotry. We don't have even the most basic protections enjoyed by denizens of large urban areas with thriving gay populations.
What never ceases to amaze me is the assumption by many non-LGBTetc people that we already have protection from discrimination nationwide. Seriously - people who don't follow our issues or the news closely sometimes assume that increased visibility and growing societal acceptance mean that we're already there.
Meanwhile, we have a very well-organized and well-funded opposition who are actively trying to dismantle the few protections we have. We're actually in a very vulnerable position. There is a generation arising that does not know the depth of marginalization we older LGBTetc have faced. That lack of first-hand, face-to-face experience with anti-gay discrimination may translate into decreased funding for fighting our legal battles at a time when our fiercest opponents feel emboldened by the results of the 2010 elections and are making a push for widening their influence come the 2012 elections. If they succeed, we may be in deep you-know-what before we have the chance to react.
Post-gay my ass. The battle is just starting to heat up.
I agree
Most of our 'advances' are still on paper and tied up in tail-dragging appeals
When does the equality kick in?
Frank Stanton

Omaha, NE

#13 Mar 7, 2011
bailout my duck wrote:
when farts dont stink
sums up everything for me. ameriKKKa hates gay people.

NO PEACE.

Frank

:)
TIRED of the BS

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Mar 7, 2011
GOD I sure hope so because I am sick of hearing about GAYS plights! Furthermore tired of hearing about what is due them!

And I do hope someone has the balls to stop the madness the world is not just about GAYS!

Straights still have a say!
Philliproy

Arlington, TN

#15 Mar 7, 2011
Are you kidding me?

We haven't reached even a post-racist or a post-antisemitic America in Hollywood and other entertainment centers, much less a post-gay America.

You have fashion designers like John Galliano proclaiming their love for Hitler.

You have Charlie Sheen referring to his manager as a "stoopid jew pig."

And, you have casting directors telling actors they are "too dark" to play a hobbit.

And maybe, just maybe, Hollywood's racism is the reason that blacks and Jews are featured in only about five percent (one out of twenty) of Hollywood movies that are greenlit.

"For every 20 black films presented to the studio only 1 will be greenlit (made)."
Source: www.vibe.com/posts/reagan-gomez-lack-black-fi...
Frank Stanton

Omaha, NE

#16 Mar 7, 2011
TIRED of the BS wrote:
GOD I sure hope so because I am sick of hearing about GAYS plights! Furthermore tired of hearing about what is due them!
And I do hope someone has the balls to stop the madness the world is not just about GAYS!
ALL U.S. CITIZENS HAVE A SAY!

NO PEACE.

Frank

Frank Stanton

Omaha, NE

#17 Mar 7, 2011
TIRED of the BS wrote:
BUT DON'T FORGET IF YOU'RE A FILTHY DIRTY IGNORANT AMERIKKAN christian, THEN YOUR RIGHTS ARE UP FOR ANY VOTE NEXT TIME.

NO PEACE.

Frank

Philliproy

Arlington, TN

#18 Mar 7, 2011
John Galliano probably regrets his secret "love" for Hitler, however.

"Designer John Galliano went from suspended to fired at fashion house Dior after a 2010 video in which he said "I love Hitler" went public Monday..."
Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/2011/0...

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#19 Mar 7, 2011
TIRED of the BS wrote:
Wow, do you realize how f'n stupid you are? So, supposedly, you're so sick of hearing about the plight of gays yet you're spending your free time on a thread about it.

Pathetic, just pathetic.
outtaPville

United States

#20 Mar 8, 2011
TIRED of the BS wrote:
Have you ever thought about how many are sick of hearing people like you continuely whine? Best to you.
Not

Dallas, TX

#21 Mar 16, 2011
There should be none of this on t.v. not that I am fully against gay people, but watching men kiss other men on t.v. bothers me, because children watch these shows and doing so could nurture curiosity towards gay behavior, and I strongly disagree with these networks showing these scenes soley for their ratings.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pastor Says Parents Should 'Alienate' Gay Kids,... Jun '14 Alienation 1
'Glee' News: Adam Lambert, Demi Lovato and Chri... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Miley 1
'Glee' Season 5 Spoilers: More New York, Less D... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Demi Lovato 2
Glee 100th Episode Spoiler: Expect a Huge Britt... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Lauren 1
'Glee' Gets To Work On Reunion Ep: See Heather ... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Michaela 1
Adam Lambert, Demi Lovato to Return for New GLE... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Naya Rivera 1
Khloe Kardashian and Bruce Jenner fight over vi... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
•••
•••

Glee People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••