Kennedy Center honors celebrities

Dec 6, 2009 Full story: WNDY-TV Indianapolis 26

With a little help from Carol Burnett, a new star from the hit TV show "Glee" and other top entertainers, political Washington is saluting five of the nation's top artists with the Kennedy Center Honors this weekend.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Anthony NYR”

Since: Jun 07

New York

#27 Dec 8, 2009
Alto sax boss wrote:
<quoted text>WOW a little harsh, but I agree. Music has gone to a no talent level now a days. But I feel the real probelm is that kids now a days do not want to invest the time it takes to become a real musician. It is easier to pic up a microphone and rap, or buy some studio equipment, and tell your girlfriend that you are a music producer.
The funny thing is, I wasn't arguing with Dave about the music. I agree with you, it's become devoid of true musicianship, in many cases. I was never a big fan of someone rhyming obscenities over a loud bass beat. And I'll always have a ton of respect for the truly great artists of my generation, and the good ones that took the baton afterward. My gripe was when we go from admiration to glorification. Then it gets a little wacky to me.(And on a related side note, it's hard to believe that John Lennon was killed 29 years ago today!)
Dan USA

Waukesha, WI

#28 Dec 8, 2009
Most celebrities are drug addics, who have difficulty staying out of trouble. And when really "high," they want to be international activists over causes they don't really undestand.
And when they feel their press coverage is waning, they stop at nothing short of murder or suicide.
DAVE BRUBECK U IDIOTS

Kingston, PA

#30 Dec 9, 2009
Anthony wrote:
<quoted text>The funny thing is, I wasn't arguing with Dave about the music. I agree with you, it's become devoid of true musicianship, in many cases. I was never a big fan of someone rhyming obscenities over a loud bass beat. And I'll always have a ton of respect for the truly great artists of my generation, and the good ones that took the baton afterward. My gripe was when we go from admiration to glorification. Then it gets a little wacky to me.(And on a related side note, it's hard to believe that John Lennon was killed 29 years ago today!)
nobody is more worshiped than john lenin---with a part of central park for him, and a statue in commi cuba.

and then there's the eric clapton is god stuff from decades ago.

and gene simmons told a story of how a kiss groupie bowed in front of him and said she'd do anything he ordered---he told her to go and have sex with the roadies and she willingly obeyed.

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#31 Dec 9, 2009
Anthony wrote:
Enough of all this glorification of entertainers. Out of hand! Yes, they're all talented. Yes, they all have something to say. So let them be honored in their respective venues: The Oscar's, Grammy's, Emmy's, Tony's, etc. I'm starting to wish we separated art and state with the same conviction we reserve for church and state!
The full name of the Kennedy Center is "The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts." It's ALL ABOUT ARTS. That's why they are honoring entertainers -- actors, musicians, artists, dancers, etc. It is absolutely an appropriate venue in which they should be honored.

“Weak People Blame Others”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#32 Dec 9, 2009
Dan USA wrote:
Most celebrities are drug addics, who have difficulty staying out of trouble. And when really "high," they want to be international activists over causes they don't really undestand.
And when they feel their press coverage is waning, they stop at nothing short of murder or suicide.
Do broad generalizations facilitate your understanding of humanity? Everyone is different, and considering some of these "celebrities" has been appointed U.N. Goodwill Ambassadors, I'm certain their knowledge of their particular issue greatly exceeds your own.

P.S. Brubeck's piano playing is a delight.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#34 Dec 9, 2009
Anthony wrote:
<quoted text>The funny thing is, I wasn't arguing with Dave about the music. I agree with you, it's become devoid of true musicianship, in many cases. I was never a big fan of someone rhyming obscenities over a loud bass beat. And I'll always have a ton of respect for the truly great artists of my generation, and the good ones that took the baton afterward. My gripe was when we go from admiration to glorification. Then it gets a little wacky to me.(And on a related side note, it's hard to believe that John Lennon was killed 29 years ago today!)
I can agree with you there. And you are right about Lennon, it does seem like yesterday.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Fox TV chiefs look for showmen to rescue ne... Jan '15 Guido 1
'Looking' Star RaAol Castillo Reveals What It's... Jan '15 Belle Sexton 4
Aglow with Glee: Victoria's Corey Monteith can'... Dec '14 LELA 1
Glee is a xxxxx Name for a Television Show Dec '14 Badolfor 1
Jane Lynch & Wife Finalize Divorce Oct '14 Baddabing 1
Pastor Says Parents Should 'Alienate' Gay Kids,... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Alienation 1
'Glee' News: Adam Lambert, Demi Lovato and Chri... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Miley 1
More from around the web