TV show searching for home to fix up

There are 46 comments on the The Times story from Jun 22, 2008, titled TV show searching for home to fix up. In it, The Times reports that:

"Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," a television show on ABC that airs at 9 p.m. on Sundays, is searching for a home to renovate in central Indiana and a compelling story about the family chosen for the home ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Times.

Arlesha

Oklahoma City, OK

#23 Jul 11, 2010
My husbad was given this home by his father which was in desperate needs of repair. This home has been in his family for ove 25 years. We have 3 children who deserve a more livable home. The kitchen seems like it has somewhat shifted there ar cracks in the ceiling and there is no type of ventilation without raising windows, which most of them have been painted shut. he washroom has no ceiling due to my husband chasing squirrels out of the attic. Not to mention water leaks in when it rains. We are using window units which are useless on hot summer days. Our Hme has no heating source due to the floor furnace has recently gone out so we use our oven to heat our home. The carpet in the home is most disturbing! This are problems a coat of paint won't fix. My husband has worked so hard to do what he can but doesn't have the time, skills, or funds to reair and these things will only get worse. He gets so down that he is unable to provide a better home for us and constantly puts himself down. Did I mention the pool we have in the backyard that is no longer swimmable because of the weeds and things that grow there now? Our children are always saying when can we move but we would like to keep this home because of the sentimental value. We don't have any storage areas other than a partialy converted garage. Sinec we live around a bunch of elderly neighbors their houses are flouring while ours is disenagrating. Being that we are a younger family w/o funds to make repairs. Our porch has began to crumble soon I guess we will have to use a step stool to get into our front porch.Please help us in Oklahoma to give our children and family a chance of a more lively vivid home this would mean sooo much to my children and husband.
rick

Ashtabula, OH

#25 Aug 17, 2010
do u guys come to erie pa. i have a house iv been working on for it seems like ever well sense 2006 and it is 2010 im thinking im never going to get done i have no kitchen and my girl friend hates me because she has to do the dishes in the tub i men im trying i just dont have enuff money cant get a lone dont get enuff money no one can help so if u can please be vary gratefull u can email me back at [email protected]
lisa

United States

#26 Oct 6, 2010
I was wondering if you ever will come through to ohio, my mother and father are your everyday hard working couple. When I was about 7 I was struck by a car and almost passed away it was a very critical situation and we all passed that over the years, then my younger sister who is now 21 had heart problems, again my parents worked through that and are still trying hard to catch bills up. My father had found out a couple of years ago he had a brain anerism and I don't know much about that but it frightens me, they've been working on remodeling their house for several years and to me doesn't seem like they're getting very far. Bc when anyone in our family needs help their always there to lend a helping hand.... Out of all these hard times I'd like to see them smile and actually not be stressed constantly if you get this hopefully you will respond. Thank you and I love your show god bless you!!!
lisa

United States

#27 Oct 6, 2010
my email is [email protected]
Joselito Tablante Jr

Richmond, CA

#28 Jan 3, 2011
My family and my three children live with my mom at my father's house in Pacheco, CA. My income is only enough to support our extended family, specially now that my brother just moved in with us. His family (wife and 3 kids) will also be living with us soon. My dad's house is a small 3-bedroom and 2-bath house and lately, all my efforts to keep it in good shape is going nowhere. Since my father remarried, he never offered us any help in trying to fix the house. We're experiencing problems one after the other. When it rains, it pours in different corners of the house. We often get sick and it might be from different things that's wrong with the house. I hope we don't have any of that mold or termite problem we hear about. There has been couple of small fires in the kitchen because of faulty electrical wiring and such. As much as I wanted to move our family to safer place, we just can't afford how expensive bay area is. If you know of anyone looking for a repair project in houses in the bay area, please keep us in mind. We can definitely use miracles at this point. Thank you and God bless.
Joselito Tablante Jr

Richmond, CA

#29 Jan 3, 2011
My family and my three children live with my mom at my father's house in Pacheco, CA. My income is only enough to support our extended family, specially now that my brother just moved in with us. His family (wife and 3 kids) will also be living with us soon. My dad's house is a small 3-bedroom and 2-bath house and lately, all my efforts to keep it in good shape is going nowhere. Since my father remarried, he never offered us any help in trying to fix the house. We're experiencing problems one after the other. When it rains, it pours in different corners of the house. We often get sick and it might be from different things that's wrong with the house. I hope we don't have any of that mold or termite problem we hear about. There has been couple of small fires in the kitchen because of faulty electrical wiring and such. As much as I wanted to move our family to safer place, we just can't afford how expensive bay area is. If you know of anyone looking for a repair project in houses in the bay area, please keep us in mind. Here's our email: [email protected] We can definitely use miracles at this point. Thank you and God bless.
Travis Scott

Cedar Rapids, IA

#30 Mar 2, 2011
Are you going to be in Iowa at all? I have a good friend with seven children that there house burned down killing the mother.They are really in need of something good to happen to them there insurance lapsed due to the economy. lack of jobs couldnt pay. David and his seven kids are in a hotel now but dont know where to go after that. Please help them if you can.you can contact me at [email protected]
tasha davis

United States

#31 Mar 8, 2011
i live in warner robins ga. i have 4 kids. me and my husband bought our house excited about fixing it up.he got laid off his job and now we are stuck living in a wreck!our income is unemployment, my autistic son disability, and 189.00 child support, after we pay bills we have nothing left. my house has kept my family sick for 2 years.the bathroom floor is falling in, there is mold throughout the house,walls need to be painted,carpet needs to be ripped out and new flooring, there is holes in some of the room ceiling and mold, there is urine and feces in the attic from squirrls. please tell me how to get help
my e-mail is [email protected]
Friends of Katie

Rapid City, SD

#32 Apr 7, 2011
Katie is 27 and has many physical and developmental disabilities. She uses a power wheel chair and other equipment.She is unable to care for herself and needs someone on hand 24/7. Her father passed away when she was 5 and her mother has kept her healthy and as independent as possible. Katie is a very complex story as her mom has been a strong advocate for independent living and community inclusion for her and others, Her mom is 62 years old and is a full time student a Black Hills State University and close to getting her degree in Human Services with emphasis on Community Service. Katie has been a pioneer in many areas showing that a person who is disabled can indeed live the American Dream, "Home Ownership" There are programs and funds available but it takes a very strong person to jump through all the hoops. Even with a very low income she qualified for a low income home loan and has built a 950 sq ft house in a neighborhood on the city limits, with in walking distance to a wheelchair accessible park. She has lived in it only a few months. This house was designed for her by her mom to meet her wheelchair ability, it is a small one bedroom structure and not yet complete. There were many problems with the builder who took the job. This little house brought many problems unresolved as the contractor used substandard materials and labor. The problem is he did not do as promised to make it wheelchair accessible, he did not make it the right ground level for wheelchair access so there had to be additional expense of a porch lift and no space as promised for a future garage, the lift takes up a large part of the space where a garage needs to be so she may transfer from a car to her wheelchair in inclement weather to get into her house. The house is very simple but in order for her to stay in the home, she needs to have a finished basement and a garage so she may continue to live in the house and not have to be institutionalized. Mom is hoping that when she is no longer to be here for her, she will remain in her own home with caregivers, rather than being put in an institution. But to do so there needs to be a caregiver apartment and an attached garage for safe transfers and to put a roof over the wheelchair lift, this garage would also be used as a large enough space to use other strengthening equipment. This winter that mom shoveled out the wheelchair lift so many, many times. This mom needs help to finish the job for this young lady who is showing her ability to live and pay for her own mortgage rather than being a burden on our societies tax base. Can you help?
Chicago

Flat Rock, IL

#33 Apr 9, 2011
Please let us know if you come to Crawford County, Illinois.
Pam

Martinsburg, WV

#34 Apr 30, 2011
Brought a house, loaned out money to family members , they haven't payed me back yet, now I need to fix up my wv home helllllllllllp!
Marian Saunders

Scottsboro, AL

#35 Jul 15, 2011
I am writting on behalf of my sister Eva Whienant. She lives in Scottsboro Aladama. She is a recent widow. In the past 3 years she has lost 2 daughters a granddaughter and now her husband. Her husband was a very handy handiman. With his insurance money she bought a fixer upper house close to her only surviving daughter. The house is in need of a lot of work.There is abesto siding on the outside missing gutters, and both front and back porch in need of repair. The inside is in need of paint, windows, base boards and electrical work. My sister had always depended on her hisband to take care of all repairs.He is gone and she is lost.If there is any way Extreme Makeover can help, please contact me. She has been through so much she could use any help.
Thank You Marian Saunders
Awana Sumbootay

Houston, TX

#36 Jul 23, 2011
Your stories are so touching but you need to realize: the producers of this so-called "reality" show DON'T READ TOPIX...NOBODY IS READING YOUR APPEALS FOR HELP except other people in similiar situations.

As for Ty, he's about as fake and phony as a three-dollar bill in person. If the cameras aren't on he couldn't give a sh!t about your problems.

So keep waiting on Superman cuz HE AIN'T COMING !!
private

Voorhees, NJ

#37 Jul 23, 2011
Has anyone checked out the date here
By Aaron Blevins
[email protected]
June 22, 2008 ??????????
JUDY

Athens, TN

#38 Oct 23, 2011
WE RECENTLY HAD A HOUSE FIRE AND OUR INSURANCE COMPANY THROUGH OUR HOUSE PAYMENT SAID THEY HAD CANCELLED US SO WE HAVE NO MONEY TO FIX OUR HOUSE BACK IM THE ONLY ONE THAT WORKS MY HUSBAND HAS HAD CANCER AND A QUADRIPLE BY-PASS HE S IN REAL BAD HEALTH I WORK ALL I CAN TO PAY OUR BILLS PLUS THE MEDICAL BILLS STILL NOT ENOUGH PLEASE HELP
Chicago

Flat Rock, IL

#39 Oct 24, 2011
Beyond repair... But, cannot afford to go anywhere else. Buckets for rain, duck tape holding floors together. Plastic ceilings. Plz help. Email:bratbites@yahoo .com
Stephanie

Cincinnati, OH

#41 Jul 25, 2012
I really need some help to save my home it is falling apart the ceiling is leaking , the gutters are gone, I am a Bi amputee who relays on a wheelchair , my house isn't even made for a wheelchair , can't even get all the way onto my bathroom because it's to small please help me!!! HELP!!!
ericafe89611544

Chicago, IL

#42 Sep 2, 2012
Im a mother of 5 kids and I have but one income right now we have no heating at my home I really thought buying a home was the best thing I could ever do for my family but now I just dont know what to do my house needs so much work I really really need help thank you.
tjkltdc

Newburgh, IN

#43 Sep 6, 2012
WOW I see all kinda of heart warming and sad stories...but this one comes from Rockport Indiana..My brother in law was told he had cancer and if left untreated he had two months to live ...if he chose treatment they gave him two years...he started treatment and died three weeks later ..July 4th 2012...Now his wife found out that she all so has cancer and will lose her bladder. The house that my sister in law now lives in is falling apart and needs so much work...My husband is disabled with cluster migrains and takes care of his two parents and his brother dying wish was for my husband to look after my sister in law...My husband has so much on his shoulders looking after everyone it would be a true blessing if there is anything you can do to help us out. I watch your show when I can and always cry with you guys and see that there is still good left in the world trough all the hardships.
[email protected]
janette

United States

#44 Nov 6, 2012
I would like to know if you could help me out i don't know how to explain my situation but i watch your show all the time and the smiles and tears that comes to there faces is just great and i would love to be one of them i would love something like this because i have a son and other baby on the way and my place isn't the greatest or nicest please answer my prayers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Emmy Awards Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sources: KTVK drops 'Good Morning Arizona' pers... (Mar '09) Aug 21 digestguy1 800
News TCA Awards 2015: Empire, Jon Hamm, Amy Schumer,... Aug 10 nicova 1
News Ridgefield Playhouse to Welcome Jamie Lynn Spea... Aug 1 Victoria Dawn Jus... 1
News From nice Jewish girl to master of sex Jul '15 Jagdeesh 6
News 'Godfather' actor Alex Rocco dies Jul '15 Go Blue Forever 2
News Bill Martin (Oct '09) Jul '15 jdanko5 53
News The Young and the Restless Spoilers: Y&R Storyl... Jun '15 faithful viewer 1
More from around the web