Real Talk: Only Black Person at Your Job? How to Get Ahead

Oct 24, 2012 Read more: Essence Magazine 16

Ever wondered why there aren't more faces of color in high corporate places? Yeah, me too.

Read more
Prophet

United States

#2 Oct 24, 2012
The game is a trap.
Ozzie Guillen

Chicago, IL

#4 Nov 1, 2012
fedupwiththemess wrote:
<quoted text>Only if you don't learn how to play it.
I'm not in Miami anymore. I'll let you know where to send my money and cigarettes in a few weeks.

“ News”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#5 Nov 1, 2012
fedupwiththemess wrote:
<quoted text>Only if you don't learn how to play it.
Can't play the game when they own the ball park.

“ News”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7 Nov 2, 2012
fedupwiththemess wrote:
<quoted text>That is why your azz will be left behind...always saying can't. You can and you must learn how to play white ball.
Stupid Azz, you don't know jack about me for real. You sound just like the typical Uncle Tom Buck Dancing Buckwheat who thinks he's better than most black people. You shouldn't talk to black people. I'm didnt play the game. As a result, I got a new home paid in full, and all dept wiped out, and I don't have to work another day in my life, meanwhile I've learned to live off of the grid just in case the dollar loses all of it's value. I let them drown in their own game of white ball, the same game you play, which will eventually make you a black ball. So keep playing their game.

“ News”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#9 Nov 7, 2012
fedupwiththemess wrote:
<quoted text>Jealous??? Obama is back in the white house!!!
?
Carol

Oak Park, MI

#10 Nov 7, 2012
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid Azz, you don't know jack about me for real. You sound just like the typical Uncle Tom Buck Dancing Buckwheat who thinks he's better than most black people. You shouldn't talk to black people. I'm didnt play the game. As a result, I got a new home paid in full, and all dept wiped out, and I don't have to work another day in my life, meanwhile I've learned to live off of the grid just in case the dollar loses all of it's value. I let them drown in their own game of white ball, the same game you play, which will eventually make you a black ball. So keep playing their game.
...interesting many have had their debts wiped out

“ News”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#11 Nov 7, 2012
Carol wrote:
<quoted text>
...interesting many have had their debts wiped out
I don't know many,.but how did they do it.
Carol

Oak Park, MI

#12 Nov 7, 2012
KPITRL wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know many,.but how did they do it.
They took bribes from corrupt feds in Michigan
Carol

Oak Park, MI

#13 Nov 7, 2012
But like Kwame Kilpatrick they will be charged
yep

Hamilton, Canada

#14 Nov 7, 2012
fedupwiththemess wrote:
Learn how to play "white ball". When you learn this life game you will beat whitey at his own game.
Chimps will never learn.
candella

Wichita, KS

#16 Nov 12, 2012
We just need to stop relying on whites to move up.We have black millionaires and bilionaires that could contribute to making our own businesses.We need to be more independent.Other races are doing this,they aren't relying on white people.We are like the only race that's using white folks as a crutch we need to start being independent thinkers and get off of this slave mentality bull shid.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#17 Nov 12, 2012
Number one...the worst thing you can do is be too demonstrative of TOO MUCH ambition while in the work place that has you around a predominantly white demographic. whites SMELL ambition, and in the event that you have skill sets that are more contributary or useful than THEIRS, this will make YOU more susceptible for sabotauge and usurption.

Secondly...if you're looking for promotion all while having an immediate white superior, chances are, you WON'T be getting a promotion any time soon. If your efforts are going to be acknowledged and up for consideration for advancement, it will have to come from your boss's boss. You have to realize that in MOST cases, not all, but MOST, YOUR BOSS does NOT want you promoted because you being promoted MAY mean that he gets demoted...in some way.

If you want to "get ahead" apply from within and DO NOT cc your resume' & application. Send YOUR info to each department one at a time.

When the tide begins to turn and you recieve responses for interviews, stay discreet, stop running your mouth to co-workers (white or Black) about your intents & endevors for advancement. This sometimes resonates resentments & petty jealousies from some. When going for the new job and you're competing in the white infilstructure, you have no time to be battling with both your superiors and your peers. Now, if folk want to HATE, they can hate all they want AFTER YOU GET HIRED, not a moment before.
candella

Wichita, KS

#18 Nov 12, 2012
vampiYAH stabB wrote:
Number one...the worst thing you can do is be too demonstrative of TOO MUCH ambition while in the work place that has you around a predominantly white demographic. whites SMELL ambition, and in the event that you have skill sets that are more contributary or useful than THEIRS, this will make YOU more susceptible for sabotauge and usurption.
Secondly...if you're looking for promotion all while having an immediate white superior, chances are, you WON'T be getting a promotion any time soon. If your efforts are going to be acknowledged and up for consideration for advancement, it will have to come from your boss's boss. You have to realize that in MOST cases, not all, but MOST, YOUR BOSS does NOT want you promoted because you being promoted MAY mean that he gets demoted...in some way.
If you want to "get ahead" apply from within and DO NOT cc your resume' & application. Send YOUR info to each department one at a time.
When the tide begins to turn and you recieve responses for interviews, stay discreet, stop running your mouth to co-workers (white or Black) about your intents & endevors for advancement. This sometimes resonates resentments & petty jealousies from some. When going for the new job and you're competing in the white infilstructure, you have no time to be battling with both your superiors and your peers. Now, if folk want to HATE, they can hate all they want AFTER YOU GET HIRED, not a moment before.
babe we need more black businesses.Hispanics and asiasn have their own they aren't relying on whites.We need to do our own thang ya kno.Stop going to these predominately white businesses.Let them have their own

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#19 Nov 12, 2012
candella wrote:
<quoted text>
babe we need more black businesses.Hispanics and asiasn have their own they aren't relying on whites.We need to do our own thang ya kno.Stop going to these predominately white businesses.Let them have their own
I understand all of that but not everyone is called to entrepreneurialship. The bulk of my advice was geared to those who aren't or who aren't currently.
candella

Wichita, KS

#20 Nov 12, 2012
vampiYAH stabB wrote:
<quoted text>I understand all of that but not everyone is called to entrepreneurialship. The bulk of my advice was geared to those who aren't or who aren't currently.
You and I should start our own business and hire black people.

“ News”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#21 Nov 12, 2012
We need to go back to biblical days where each man could work for himself on his own land. No one should have to pay for energy, water, or food, making him a slave working for some corporation, especially a corporation that don't want you there in the first place. That's insane.

All those needs I just listed, you can get it practically free on you own land, by growing your own food, having some live stock, using solar energy, and having a backyard well. This is what's meant when the bible says a man should work. But somehow we think that means getting up and working for Mr. Charlie.

A lot of us have land in the south. We need to regain our building and agriculture skills and get busy. No one should be homeless just because they didn't fit in with some white corporate mind set. Holding someone back from owning a jet or a yacht is one thing, but no one should be in position to hold back food and shelter to a person willing to make a living because they refuse to fear him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'American Idol': Is it over? Thu Schnooki 2
News The Greatest Evangelistic Tool of All Time Thu Dork Alert 1
News Www.CoryandTopanga.Com No Longer Exists, Consid... (Aug '07) Apr 15 katjerine 42
News Survivor contestant, Alabama native Caleb Banks... (Jun '14) Apr 15 songhyko88 3
News Terri Schiavo's Painful Deprivation of Food and... (Mar '09) Apr 14 hornback12 1,213
News Jon Bon Jovi Will Ponder Alternate Life in New ... Apr 13 lily 4
News 'Days of Our Lives' Is at Risk for Cancellation... Apr 13 Tammera Tattles 1
More from around the web