Who's the sexiest Mr Darcy?

Full story: New Zealand Herald

Forget the new Government, Air New Zealand layoffs, Saddam Hussein or bird flu - the big issue of the week may be who makes the sexier Mr Darcy: Colin Firth or Matthew Macfadyen? The new version of Jane ...
Comments
121 - 139 of 139 Comments Last updated Jan 6, 2014
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
JessSeamusMalcol m

Tucson, AZ

#122 Feb 27, 2011
may 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, i can understand why she and other people think so.Fact is that really in the miniserie the wiewers have a LOT of time of Colin. Not only that, the miniserie semms more a Pride and Prejudice as seen by Darcy side, that Pride and Prejudice as is in the book.Yes, the miniserie is more faithful to the book, but we have a lot of Darcy scene more than in the book. Darcy in wet shirt, Darcy that duels with sword,we see what Darcy see and does, all that seems built to "create" not the Darcy-caracther-sexsymbol but just Colin Firt-actor as sex symbol. I think that the miniserie had JUST the purpose to show the book, yes, but also ( if not especially) that, and very explicit, to make a sex Symbol of Colin Firth as Darcy.The Darcy of the movie is more subtle, and has soooo little time on screen that you have really to be attentive or maybe more sensisite ( like us :) to " catch him", and the movie is SURE more by Elizabeth( and Keira )eyes and feelings side. It is so much so, that you really feel that the MacFadyen part is quite...uncomplete, a bit lacking.To be clear, i liked a LOT more Matthhew than than Colin Firth, but i think the movie had not used"" well MacFadyen.If you add this to the fact that the movie is quite different from the book, thing that brought a lot of sacred-untouchable Austen fan(*)to kind of reject it ( and with it the two actors )...
(*)Believe me, i think that some Austen fan are really exagerated. Come on, Darcy and Elizabeth are fictional caracthers, is not like the movie changed real persons, or real events. Some changes are allowed. I mean, a lot had been done with Shakespeare, and there have not been all the complains made about the Austen books! I've read almost all rewiewes made on IMdb, and you couldn't believe some of the most bizzarre bias toward the movie. For example, the Pig. Oh, my God, they showed a PIG in a movie based on a Jane Austen book, HOW THEY DARED?
I know. The pig. God Forbid the Pig. The pig wasn't in the house. It was in a covered way probably going to the courtyard. And Mr. Bennet was simply following his dear pig, there was a farm worker leading it. Many gentleman farmers bred special breeds of animals. He was mumbling something about a famous pig from Gloucester - a Mother Goose poem, I think. Goodness, the uproar.

I think this movie could've covered another fifteen minutes given its popularity, but the producers didn't know that at the time. There are legitimate opportunities to include more Darcy (MD) without straying from the text. You don't have to include fencing, ponds, etc. Some scenes that the miniseries used as flashbacks could've been used like Wickham's memory vs. truth. Another visit at Rosings. A couple of scenes could've been used to lighten his character and perhaps show his charm, although the fumbling glove business cracks me up every time. I wish there had been more at Rosings. It was such a pivotal time for Darcy. More of Col. Fitzwilliam paying attention to Elizabeth (esp. I am a poor second/last son.) would've shown Lizzie's surprise more at the proposal. If there's a fault in the movie, it is a bit rushed.
may 2

Bari, Italy

#123 Feb 27, 2011
" A couple of scenes could've been used to lighten his character and perhaps show his charm, although the fumbling glove business cracks me up every time"

I ADORE that scene. And Matthew is soooo sweet in his akwardness...

" If there's a fault in the movie, it is a bit rushed. "

Yes, exactly. They could show a bit of the after marriage time. No cheesy scenes between the two of them ( like the american-version kiss scene, though i like it anyway ),but for example, some teasing of Elizabeth toward Darcy, or some witty conversation also between them. This way, they could show how Darcy NEEDED what Elizabeth did to him: " unbuilt him a bit ", make him reflect on himself. The 1940 version was quite different from the book, but i liked a LOT the talking between Elizabeth and Darcy there. And, since the after marriage time is in the book, too, they wouldn't have gone far from it.

“Matthew was a secret name...”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#124 Feb 28, 2011
JessSeamusMalcolm wrote:
<quoted text>
... although the fumbling glove business cracks me up every time
LOL, I am trying to learn this expression by heart now !

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#125 Mar 6, 2011
May wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes but Ellie, His Firthness is wonderful too, a striding, commanding, moody Darcy. And he has 9 hours of film to make his mark, MM had only 2!
I too like Colin Firth but please - not only did he have nine hours of P&P to make his mark, he had two Bridge Jones movies as "Mark Darcy" with another to come out.
fiona johannesburg

UK

#126 Aug 21, 2011
Hi there I'm new to this board.

For me definitely Matthew Macfadyen.

The intensity on how he played the role, wow!

His body language.

I saw the 2 proposal scenes that Colin Firth did on you tube and they both flat I doubt if I was Elizabeth I would have been wooed by them.

Sorry they were both so dispassionate.
Lizzie

Moscow, Russia

#127 Oct 13, 2011
Ellie the insomniac wrote:
My answer to this article - MATTHEW MACFADYEN!
Ladies....read this article. It is interesting to read some of other peoples opinions on this subject! I think MM wins hands down though!
Maybe MM is a good actor but definitely NOT as Mr Darcy. I'm for Colin Firth - he is real Mr Darcy))))
Lizzie

Moscow, Russia

#128 Oct 13, 2011
I was really disappointed when I saw "PP" 2005 version - both characters - Elisabeth and Darcy seemed so shallow, and as for Matthew McFayden as Mr Darcy - looked as a young calf who didn't understand what people wanted him to do - so immature and hesitant and weak! For me the BBC version is the best - deep, cute, true to life, with fine humour and much closer to the original/ And certainly Colin Firth - his eyes, his manner, his looks, so man-like and so sexy and attractive,- great actor and the unique Mr Darcy!!!!!
katherine

Bari, Italy

#129 Oct 14, 2011
jusy saw again the BBC miniserie. You won't believe it, but it was actually my husband, not me, that wanted to see it:)

Well, i have to disagree with Lizzie: the BBC version is sooooo boring! the mother is boring, Lady Catherine is boring, Collins seems a pedophile looking for some victim ( sorry, but is just too creep, i don't know why someone would think to give a daughter to THAT man, also if in need)the mother of Lizzie is very annoyng, sometime the serie tooks a quite vulgar path ( poor Lydia, seems a young girl just willing to hook, and the part of her with Wickam seems to show that the director or author don't know what " subtetlety" means)and other negative things that i don't want to add now. It's thrue that the serie is more faithful to the book, but this doesn't make it more intersting in my eyes, cause while i think that Austen is a very good writer, i find the arguments in his books VERY tedious.Anyway, yes, the movie is different from the book, but i find it more charming and intersting. About the actor, again: both Firt amd Ehle are more like in the book, BUT the more i see it, the less i like fIrth and Ehle. Firth seems, as someone sayd, costipated, and doesn't seems a yong man ( like in the book) but a spoiled man, while Ehle is quite irritanting, with all that biting her lips. I think that the best Lizzie has been Greer Garson ( or another tv version) but she didn't have the right age.

On the other hand, the movie is not that faithful to the book, but in it remain the most important things, AND if you take it as it is, different from the book, with a different Darcy ( more shy than superb) and a kind of " translated " for the modern age Lizzie, maybe you could appreciate it more.

P.S. Sure, my opinion may be influenced by the fact that i find Colin Firth charming like an old, charming, fine uncle:)

Since: Aug 11

Europe

#130 Oct 14, 2011
Ultimately pride and prejudice is a love story about a proud man who is brought down to earth by a woman.

There is no chemistry between cf and je.
JEANNIE HOFFMAN

United States

#132 Aug 10, 2012
COLIN FIRTH WAS THE PERFECT DARCY AND THE 1995 VERSION OF P AND P WAS PERFECT. I HAVE READ ALL O THE DARCY BOOKS, AND THE DIALOGUE WAS ALMOST WORD FOR WORD FROM JANE AUSTEN'S ORIGINAL BOOK ON THE TV VERSION. COLIN AND JENNIFER EHLE WERE PERFECT FOR THE PARTS AS WERE THE WHOLE CAST THE SENIOR BENNETS WERE SO MUCH BETTER THAN SUTHERLAND AND BLETHIN.
JEANNIE HOFFMAN

United States

#133 Aug 10, 2012
jULIA SAWALA AND SUSANNA HARKER WERE GREAT AS LYDIA AND JANE AND ANNA CHANCELLOR AS MISS BINGLEY WAS WONDERFUL. THEY COULDN'T HAVE PICKED A BETTER OVERALL CAST. COLIN FIRTH AND JENNIFER EHLE WERE ALSO MUCH BETTER THAN LAURENCE OLIVIER AND GREER GARSON IN THE ORIGINAL MOVIE OF P AND P. IN THE FIRST PLACE THOSE TWO WERE TOO OLD FOR THE PARTS. I SAW THE ORIGINAL IN THE '40'S WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL AND I NOW OWN ALL THREE VERSIONS ON DVD. I HAVE OVER 40 VERSIONS OF P AND P BY OTHER AUTHORS AND I FEEL LIKE THE CHARACTERS ARE ALL OLD FRIENDS.

May

“I met Matthew!”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#134 Aug 10, 2012
JEANNIE HOFFMAN wrote:
COLIN FIRTH WAS THE PERFECT DARCY AND THE 1995 VERSION OF P AND P WAS PERFECT. I HAVE READ ALL O THE DARCY BOOKS, AND THE DIALOGUE WAS ALMOST WORD FOR WORD FROM JANE AUSTEN'S ORIGINAL BOOK ON THE TV VERSION. COLIN AND JENNIFER EHLE WERE PERFECT FOR THE PARTS AS WERE THE WHOLE CAST THE SENIOR BENNETS WERE SO MUCH BETTER THAN SUTHERLAND AND BLETHIN.
I like the BBC miniseries and the movie, we can enjoy both surely?
EstrogenUnderCon trol

Sparks, NV

#135 Sep 30, 2012
Tak a relook at the 1995 Darcy. If you watch is face you will see his expresion remains almost the same in every scene. He does not project charm, concern, lov., enchantment, lust, or even being tired of Lady dB he barely manage a decent kiss at the end of the tv flick, when she has ended the "affair" with Firth long before the kiss took place. Probably the first time a woman kicked him to the curb.... he is too libido crazed for my taste. A good actor, not a GREAT actor. but a Box Office Draw, which is what wins awards.

May

“I met Matthew!”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#137 Oct 1, 2012
katherine wrote:
jusy saw again the BBC miniserie. You won't believe it, but it was actually my husband, not me, that wanted to see it:)
Well, i have to disagree with Lizzie: the BBC version is sooooo boring! the mother is boring, Lady Catherine is boring, Collins seems a pedophile looking for some victim ( sorry, but is just too creep, i don't know why someone would think to give a daughter to THAT man, also if in need)the mother of Lizzie is very annoyng, sometime the serie tooks a quite vulgar path ( poor Lydia, seems a young girl just willing to hook, and the part of her with Wickam seems to show that the director or author don't know what " subtetlety" means)and other negative things that i don't want to add now. It's thrue that the serie is more faithful to the book, but this doesn't make it more intersting in my eyes, cause while i think that Austen is a very good writer, i find the arguments in his books VERY tedious.Anyway, yes, the movie is different from the book, but i find it more charming and intersting. About the actor, again: both Firt amd Ehle are more like in the book, BUT the more i see it, the less i like fIrth and Ehle. Firth seems, as someone sayd, costipated, and doesn't seems a yong man ( like in the book) but a spoiled man, while Ehle is quite irritanting, with all that biting her lips. I think that the best Lizzie has been Greer Garson ( or another tv version) but she didn't have the right age.
On the other hand, the movie is not that faithful to the book, but in it remain the most important things, AND if you take it as it is, different from the book, with a different Darcy ( more shy than superb) and a kind of " translated " for the modern age Lizzie, maybe you could appreciate it more.
P.S. Sure, my opinion may be influenced by the fact that i find Colin Firth charming like an old, charming, fine uncle:)
Well the BBC series was made at least 10 years before the movie. I thought Mr Collins and Mrs Bennet were hilarious in it. I like Colin Firth's Darcy and sometimes watch it, in fact I am of the opinion that we can have 2 Mr Darcy's for our money! The movie is quite charming I do agree.
Marta

UK

#138 Feb 11, 2013
Have you Matthew McFadyen fans read the Pride and Prejudice novel?

Mr Darcy is meant to be arrogant in the beginning and that is how Colin Firth plays it. Colin Firth wipes the floor with Matthew in this role.
Violet

Lochgelly, UK

#139 Feb 11, 2013
Marta wrote:
Have you Matthew McFadyen fans read the Pride and Prejudice novel?
Mr Darcy is meant to be arrogant in the beginning and that is how Colin Firth plays it. Colin Firth wipes the floor with Matthew in this role.
His name is Matthew Macfadyen btw. Gee thanks for coming over to give us your opinion, we really wanted to hear that LOL!
SVWE

Dreieich, Germany

#140 Feb 11, 2013
Oh, yes, I read P&P several times. And as for the 2005 film version - Mr Macfadyen's Darcy was very arrogant at the Meryton dance. As cold as ice...

Since: Apr 07

San Francisco

#141 Dec 28, 2013
And the story continues with fan fiction this time, Death Comes to Pemberley, well the story will put you to sleep the the locations most certainly will NOT! Chatsworth, Stourhead, worth it for a look at those again!

Of course the cast can't hold a candle to the REAL DEAL, aka, Matthew and Keira!
maria

Ramalde, Portugal

#142 Jan 6, 2014
Matthew is the sexiest darcy of course and the best too, firth comparing to him is so expressive as a stone.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
La Toya Jackson shock interview on The Talk, Je... (May '13) 7 hr elijahovah 32
'The Young and the Restless': Some fans irked b... 14 hr Sunshine 2
Will and Sonny finally have sex on Days of Our ... (Feb '13) 18 hr amw 3
Ashton Kutcher tops Forbes 2014 best-paid TV ac... 18 hr firstlisten62 3
'Y&R' spoiler alert: Are Billy Abbott and Victo... (Jul '13) 18 hr amw 52
'General Hospital's' Kelly Monaco: 'We aren't j... (May '13) 20 hr Suziepugs 27
Actor Tony Shaloub joins cast of 'Nurse Jackie'... Thu Margaret 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000