Discounts fill Disney's parks, but ca...

Discounts fill Disney's parks, but can they boost earnings?

There are 41 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 3, 2009, titled Discounts fill Disney's parks, but can they boost earnings?. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

A little after lunch on a recent afternoon in Disney's Hollywood Studios, after the spring-break travel rush and amid the global recession, the line to ride Toy Story Mania! was still 80 minutes long, and every restaurant in the park was booked full for dinner.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
OneVoice3

Winter Springs, FL

#1 May 4, 2009
They should show a profit, not much, but a decent one by doing these promotions. As for buy 4 nights in a hotel get three free, how about just making each night cheaper? instead of $100.00 night make it $70?
ut oh

Windermere, FL

#2 May 4, 2009
Disney should just lower its prices. Word of mouth will take care of the rest.
luv it cant afford it

Lakeland, FL

#3 May 4, 2009
disney should offer senior discounts and then they'd be marketing to the largest demographic-baby boomers who'd be willing to bring their grands! also, better florida resident rates and an option to pay monthly like busch gardens and universal do!
Cameron

Richardson, TX

#4 May 4, 2009
DisneyLand is offering California residents a three day, park hopper pass for $99. We only get two days, any word if we are going to get the new deal?

Since: Mar 09

Windsor Locks, CT

#5 May 4, 2009
If you book your vacation and charge it to the Disney Visa card, you have six months to pay with no interest. Just so you know. Also, you get free photos with the Disney visa in the park. Plus you get a discount on purchases made at the Disney store in downtown Disney.
eastcoaster

Titusville, FL

#6 May 4, 2009
Buy 4 get 3 deals don't mean a great deal to the locals. The "discounts" on tickets (like through AAA) are a joke.
Cravin Moorehead

Mcdonough, GA

#7 May 4, 2009
Who wants to got to disney..you will catch swinw flu
DisneySk8tr

Clay, NY

#8 May 4, 2009
Unfortunately, when the park is so crowded, it will deter regular guests, as myself, from coming. A vacation is supposed to be fun and relaxing. To stand in a line for 2 hours for an attraction, or not being able to find a place to eat, is not a vacation. I have been to Disney 25 times in the past 20 years. As annual passholders, I will now think twice about spending my 17 day vacation at Disney when it is so crowded. This is not enjoyable in the least!!!
jobaduh

Davenport, FL

#9 May 4, 2009
Maybe Disney is just getting real. They've been overpriced forever. Of course, that's their way of keeping out the riff-raff. Now they need us riff-raff to keep Igor and Co. in their multiple Porsches. See you on the 2-hour waiting line for Toy Story Mania.

Since: Oct 08

Newport, NH

#10 May 4, 2009
you know, honestly....I've been to Disney and LOVE it. This year we had planned on taking both kids again, our daughter is graduating and our son hasn't been to disney yet (our daughter was prior to us having our son). The cost is astronomical....your talking huge bucks for one day.

Unfortunately we decided against Florida this year.

It's getting outrageously expensive to do anything like this. I remember 10 years ago paying over $300 for a day at Seaworld..for 4 of us, not including food etc....Disney was just as bad.
mimi

United States

#11 May 4, 2009
For Floridas residents it would be great to have the option at Disney that Seaworld offers, a monthly payment plan for annual passes.
TheTruth

Winter Park, FL

#12 May 4, 2009
mimi wrote:
For Floridas residents it would be great to have the option at Disney that Seaworld offers, a monthly payment plan for annual passes.
Here is an easy payment plan. If you cant afford the ticket prices up front, but want would do it monthly.

Put that amount of money aside each month for that specific purpose, when you saved up enough, buy passes. You wont get to go this year, but you will next year, and keep saving each month to renew the next year. Quite simple honestly.
MMM

Tallahassee, FL

#14 May 4, 2009
TheTruth wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is an easy payment plan. If you cant afford the ticket prices up front, but want would do it monthly.
Put that amount of money aside each month for that specific purpose, when you saved up enough, buy passes. You wont get to go this year, but you will next year, and keep saving each month to renew the next year. Quite simple honestly.
Isnt it funny how the idea is so simple, yet the "I want it now" culture we live in never does it that way.

Much better advice than the Disney Visa advice.
TOOO Much Still

United States

#15 May 4, 2009
They Are making money. In needs to be more reasonable
They increase too much anyway on their ticket prices & Food.
Its about time price come down to where they should be... Still too high
The Terminator

Orlando, FL

#16 May 4, 2009
Another piece by the slentinel to bash Disney.
When will you realize that Disney is a company that is here to make money?
If you can't afford to go to Disney then you just have to suck it up and repaint your trailer. It is not Disney's fault if you are one of those Obama losers who think they can get everything for free. Get a life.
Edwin Sotomayor

United States

#17 May 4, 2009
Discounts fill Disney's parks, but can they boost earnings? Yes, if they STOP giving their executives those BIG bonuses... of course they can...
What the

Maitland, FL

#18 May 4, 2009
I'm sure Disney has run the numbers. If they didn't think they would be making profit, they wouldn't have reduced the prices on certain things. That's a no brainer
Kim

Salt Lake City, UT

#19 May 4, 2009
Darwin wrote:
It would be nice if they offered dicounts on passes to DVC members as well. We made a long term committment to return repeatedly; why not a concession or two for us?
They DO offer DVC discounts on Annual Passes (pretty substantial one, actually) They used to offer them on the old length-of-stay as well. I believe you do still get a discount on the Magic Your Way if you buy them at the resort, but the rules are restrictive.
Jane Says

Winter Haven, FL

#20 May 4, 2009
OneVoice3 wrote:
They should show a profit, not much, but a decent one by doing these promotions. As for buy 4 nights in a hotel get three free, how about just making each night cheaper? instead of $100.00 night make it $70?
Because then you wouldn't be hanging out on their property for as many days eating, shopping, etc. That is where they make the big bucks!
Jane Says

Winter Haven, FL

#21 May 4, 2009
TheTruth wrote:
<quoted text>
I can just see that concept being run through their ad agency now... tee hee.

Of course you could look at it like this: why should I pay for it all when I haven't used it all?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Disneyland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Frank Armitage Dies: Disney Imagineer Who Contr... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Black Foo 1
News Spotted at Disneyland: See photos of celebs fro... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Miley Ray Cyrus 1
News White Rabbit is racist, So Cal family alleges i... (Feb '13) Jul '13 june 2
Why isnt this forum more active???. (Apr '12) Apr '12 MoonGlitter101 1
News Fess Parker, Disney star, dies (Mar '10) Mar '10 christopher cloutier 2
News Portrayer of frontier-era icons was also a deve... (Mar '10) Mar '10 old timer 2
News Roy Disney, nephew of Walt Disney, dies (Dec '09) Dec '09 melissa 18
More from around the web