Sadly, Johnny Depp To Play Three More Silly Characters

There are 20 comments on the Sep 26, 2008, Gawker story titled Sadly, Johnny Depp To Play Three More Silly Characters. In it, Gawker reports that:

No one's asking Johnny Depp to pursue a boring, traditional Hollywood acting career, but this is just getting ridiculous.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Gawker.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
stillafan

Richmond, CA

#1 Sep 26, 2008
OMG! I totally agree! I hated him in CACF. Now he's the MAD Hatter, Tonto...and hopefully NOT a slapstick Jack Sparrow (like in AWE)for a Pirates 4..Yuck!
I'm a huge Johnny fan, but now...I'm really starting to get bored with him and his character choices. When I heard he might play the Riddler in the next Batman, I gasped! Not out of enthusiasm...but out of DREAD! The only movies I'm looking forward to of his are the serious ones, and it doesn't look like there will be any of those for a while (well, besides Dillinger)
That's too bad.

“Today is a gift..have fun!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#2 Sep 26, 2008
MUMBLER!!!
Depputy JNads

UK

#3 Sep 27, 2008
for goodness sake don't come on here if you don't like him!! what is the f**king point!! there bloody isn't!!!!!! now pi*s off!!
Depputy JNads

UK

#4 Sep 27, 2008
yeah definately a mumbler! well said DeppHead!
scobec

Shingletown, CA

#6 Sep 27, 2008
I love the range of characters that Johnny Depp plays - its shows his versatility as an actor. Just watching his facial expressions as he develops a character is interesting.
Deppmazing

Damascus, AR

#7 Sep 27, 2008
I agree with DeppHead and scobec. I love all of the characters Johnny plays. I, for one, am extremly looking forward to his next roles. He does an amazing job with his characters and they are always memorable. I am a big fan of POTC also. He is a great actor.
stillafan

San Francisco, CA

#8 Sep 27, 2008
Hahahah...."DeppHeadKC " Well you're just lucky to be here, aren't you?

I guess you don't read the daily's. This is NOT only MY opinion, but there are some others that share that opinion. So sorry to burst your bubble. JOHNNY is a fan fav, and a great actor....It's HIS choices lately that seem to be ...really weird.

Location hidden

#9 Sep 29, 2008
stillafan wrote:
Hahahah...."DeppHeadKC " Well you're just lucky to be here, aren't you?
I guess you don't read the daily's. This is NOT only MY opinion, but there are some others that share that opinion. So sorry to burst your bubble. JOHNNY is a fan fav, and a great actor....It's HIS choices lately that seem to be ...really weird.
"You know you really should stop mumbling. I cannot understand a word you are saying"~Willy Wonka

"If there's any message to my work, it is ultimately that itís OK to be different, that itís good to be different, that we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color."~Johnny Depp
Depputy JNads

UK

#10 Sep 29, 2008
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! go DeppHead!, Johnny! and Willy Wonka! LOL!

DeppHead has many crew members in high places like on the Black Pearl for example! on the high seas! so you can quit being an arse**** and GO AWAY! AND Johnny prefers the word admirers NOT fan! GET IT RIGHT! Johnny can choose what characters he wants to play SAVVY?! he's done quite a few serious characters recently so he deserves to have some fun! not that he hasn't already! so stop dissing him! anyhoo! us Depputies don't let you're type get us high blood pressure or start shouting at our screens so you can leave! because your silly games won't work! bye! bye! now!

Since: Oct 08

Chicago, IL

#11 Oct 13, 2008
stillafan wrote:
OMG! I totally agree! I hated him in CACF. Now he's the MAD Hatter, Tonto...and hopefully NOT a slapstick Jack Sparrow (like in AWE)for a Pirates 4..Yuck!
I'm a huge Johnny fan, but now...I'm really starting to get bored with him and his character choices. When I heard he might play the Riddler in the next Batman, I gasped! Not out of enthusiasm...but out of DREAD! The only movies I'm looking forward to of his are the serious ones, and it doesn't look like there will be any of those for a while (well, besides Dillinger)
That's too bad.
OMG!! your an idiot!! How can you say your a huge Johnny fan than say that his Characters are silly I love all his characters I look forward to seeing him as the mad hatter not only because its Johnny but because Alice in wonderland is my favorite story book
John Baker

Elkton, MD

#12 Nov 16, 2008
The real point is as long as people go see the movies he makes or wants to pay to observe his work, then he can choose whatever project he wants.
I think if they stopped and he was no longer sought after Johnny would probably either make more movies with his own company or retire and do something else. Well, before he changes anyway.
He's got enough money and talent and certainly respect as an actor not to care what his detractors say. You gotta admire him doing what he likes not what others say he should do. I'm Waiting for Dark Sahadows and I'm sure being a fan himself he'll keep what makes it special in mind.
I believe he always goes into a project with a reverence for material with an established history, especially something like CATCF, though there are parts of it that are strange in the directorial choices and make me go oh, that's awful, it has nothing do due with Johnny's performance. So if he keeps makin 'em the way he has I'll keep going to see 'em.
MalocclusionTenF our

United States

#13 Dec 15, 2008
I frankly am a little depressed about the direction Johnny Depp's career is taking. Nobody deserves to be filthy rich more than he does. Nobody plays larger-than-life grotesques better than he does. But he's not exploring the full range of his talent. I miss the subtle, three-dimensional characters he played in What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Donnie Brasco. and somehow in Benny + Joon he managed to do both.
John

United States

#14 Dec 15, 2008

Since: Aug 07

Dawsonville, GA

#15 Dec 15, 2008
I like his work.....and I'm not taking off my Vans.
JDS

Ormond Beach, FL

#16 Dec 16, 2008
I think that is his niche perhaps that is what he wants to be known for doing weird characters-I mean he is good at it,21 jump st series bored him to death and now I believe he just went from one extreme to another.I do have to say I liked him in libertine and when at the end his character wqas dying and all disfigured Johnny was still handsome that is a feat in itsself-yes I know a little shallow.

Location hidden

#17 Dec 16, 2008
John Baker wrote:
The real point is as long as people go see the movies he makes or wants to pay to observe his work, then he can choose whatever project he wants.
I think if they stopped and he was no longer sought after Johnny would probably either make more movies with his own company or retire and do something else. Well, before he changes anyway.
He's got enough money and talent and certainly respect as an actor not to care what his detractors say. You gotta admire him doing what he likes not what others say he should do. I'm Waiting for Dark Sahadows and I'm sure being a fan himself he'll keep what makes it special in mind.
I believe he always goes into a project with a reverence for material with an established history, especially something like CATCF, though there are parts of it that are strange in the directorial choices and make me go oh, that's awful, it has nothing do due with Johnny's performance. So if he keeps makin 'em the way he has I'll keep going to see 'em.
BRAVO!!! Well said matey! I just read that Tim Burton and Johnny Depp will start shooting "Dark Shadows" next summer!!! WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!! Very good news indeed!
Nutso

Houston, TX

#18 Dec 19, 2008
For all me Depphead mates.....Merry Christmas! Yo ho ho ho *%hic@%

&fe ature=rec-HM-fresh+div
Depputy JNads

UK

#20 Dec 20, 2008
Nutso wrote:
For all me Depphead mates.....Merry Christmas! Yo ho ho ho *%hic@%
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =LsHDdawSjLUXX&feature=rec -HM-fresh+div
Merry Christmas to you too! thanks for the video!:D love it!
s_candy

Motherwell, UK

#21 Dec 29, 2008
personally i love him and i would love to see him play the riddler and any other characters! he is a gr8 actor and he should definately carry on the same way. also if you think that his choices are boring or just too weird well dont you get surprised when you see the final product SAVVY (lol)? he likes to surprise the audience and be known as someone different and thats definately NOT boring, not like the actors that always play the prettyboy roles again and again(even though he would play that brilliantly as well!)
to me he is an awesome, sexi, hot and brilliant actor- cant wait to see his next releases keep it up johnny!

“I miss you lil bro”

Since: Apr 09

Vegas baby

#22 Jun 6, 2009
CACF was a HORRIBLE movie but then again I loved the original...
I love 99.9% OF Johnnys other movies though...

A fan since Jump st.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dark Shadows Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dark Shadows: Episodes 471-475 (Feb '13) Sep '13 Kyle Blunt 2
How did Roxanne Drew become a vampire originally? (Sep '08) Jul '13 John Crews 8
News Dark Shadows: The Beginning Collection 1 (Aug '07) May '13 AustinSanford 2
News Dark Shadows: Episodes 476-480 (Feb '13) Feb '13 equalityboy81 1
Dark Shadows/Willy Wonka trivia (Feb '13) Feb '13 equalityboy81 1
News Japan nuclear power-free as last reactor shuts ... (May '12) May '12 DITMEMAYthangSUCV... 8
Barnabas Collins - the song! (Sep '11) Nov '11 Will Dockery 2
More from around the web