People want Bill Maher fired, again

People want Bill Maher fired, again

There are 1315 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 21, 2008, titled People want Bill Maher fired, again. In it, Newsday reports that:

While most of the media attention focused on Pope Benedict XVI's trip to the United States was overwhelmingly positive, one television show host's choice words for the pope and the Catholic Church landed him in ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Curt in Homer Illinois

Champaign, IL

#23 Apr 21, 2008
sorry -- meant to say "Bill Maher is right in what he said."
Curt in Homer Illinois

Champaign, IL

#24 Apr 21, 2008
Bob Collier wrote:
Bill Maher is a disgusting individual. Why should Catholics vae to put up with insults like that? This is a man whose last girlfriend was a pole dancer.
Maybe because they are true?????
T-man

Chicago, IL

#25 Apr 21, 2008
Bill, why don't you speak "truth to power" and criticize an imam? See how that goes.

“E Pluribus F&P!”

Since: Jan 08

Floral Park

#26 Apr 21, 2008
Independent Thought wrote:
<quoted text> It's called(1) FREE SPEECH AND (2)HUMOR USED TO TELL TRUTH TO POWER---two activities critical to freedom and rational thought this pathetic crime- ridden and hypocritical church would wipe out if it could.
Your name is rather ironic as it denotes rather pat, unindependent thinking. As a Catholic I found Mr. Maher's comments incredibly offensive. But just as I didn't want Don Imus fired (I guess that's different in your mind because of the amorphous turth to power nonsense you are talking about) I don't want Bill Maher fired. I just won't watch his show, or buy HBO. If you don't like a show or are offended, don't watch it and boycott the sponsors.
Jack Lean

AOL

#27 Apr 21, 2008
Bill Donohue is a f*%^&* moron and he does not represent me at all. Who gave him permission to represent all Catholics? Maybe I'll start my own Catholic group and ask to go on Fox news so I can spout idiotically like the raving Donohue does. There's nothing stopping me, anymore than there was anything stopping Donohue.

And how many "members" does his organization have?
sally

AOL

#28 Apr 21, 2008
Bill Maher should be FIRED !!! His show stinks, and if you believe in God or any Family values at all. He makes in fun of you. FIRE him now, free speech if good but not on a paid HBO channel..
ROFL

Milford, CT

#29 Apr 21, 2008
Bob Collier wrote:
Bill Maher is a disgusting individual. Why should Catholics vae to put up with insults like that? This is a man whose last girlfriend was a pole dancer.
How about to prove that Catholics are bigger and more mature people worthy of respect by non-catholics.
No Bill Fan

Norwalk, CT

#30 Apr 21, 2008
Shawn wrote:
Why are the only two options in the poll "Yes he's wrong" or "No, it's an act"?! Why isn't there an option for "No, he's exactly right!!"????
For openers, the Pope was never a Nazi.
Robert

United States

#31 Apr 21, 2008
The American Life League should demand President Bush's firing for killing of our soldiers & innocent civilians & the torture of Iraqi prisoners. Check with the Pope if thats ok. See commandments

“E Pluribus F&P!”

Since: Jan 08

Floral Park

#32 Apr 21, 2008
Shawn wrote:
Why are the only two options in the poll "Yes he's wrong" or "No, it's an act"?! Why isn't there an option for "No, he's exactly right!!"????
This is the problem with free speech. Weak minded, anti-Catholic bigots like yourself then agree with a statement.
jim

Warren, NJ

#33 Apr 21, 2008
Hey I'm catholic but get a life, the catholic church is NO saint. every heard of 1st Amendment?

trivia question- what do they call the pope plane? Ans- Choir Boy 1
Renny Felson

Miami, FL

#34 Apr 21, 2008
I think Bill Maehr hit it right on the money.. good for you Bill .this is America and when truth comes out .. all the liars yelled for cover.. Actor /Comic Renny felson ..
Anthony

AOL

#35 Apr 21, 2008
Dave wrote:
Why call to fire him? He only told the truth.
If he told the "truth" as you call it about Jewish or Muslim people he would be Fired right away, So "David" maybe you should think about that, Happy Holiday's by the way.
john

Overland Park, KS

#36 Apr 21, 2008
Maher was born in New York City, the son of Julie (née Berman), a nurse, and William Maher, Sr., a network news editor and radio announcer.[3] Maher was raised in his Irish American father's Catholic religion, and did not find out that his mother was Jewish until his teenage years.[4] He grew up in River Vale, New Jersey and graduated from Pascack Hills High School in Montvale, New Jersey. He received his Bachelor of Arts in English and History from Cornell University in 1978.[5]
bob rocklin

Castle Rock, CO

#37 Apr 21, 2008
Maher is an egotistical idiot. He oversteps bounds of decency with remarks such as those against the Pope and all Catholics or any religion for that matter. Obviously, the very few fans he has such as Shawn and Ind Thinker here are of the same bigotted, uneducated and outright mean spirited ilk. Sad - the 90% of the rest of us have to put up with their garbage.
Frank Olste

Stamford, CT

#38 Apr 21, 2008
We must forgive Bill. He is a lost
sheep. The Holy Father would want
it that way. The man is searching
for the meaning of life - he will
find it one day.

“Political Correctness Sucks”

Since: Apr 07

Westbury

#39 Apr 21, 2008
Grow up and grow a pair people. It's called political commentary. It's also called humor. You may not agree with what Maher said but that doesn't mean he should be fired. People need to stop being so d@mn sensitive about things. We can't sit around a campfire holding hands and singing Kumbaya 24/7. I for one am tired of Big Brother watching & listening to everything I do and everything I say.
drive 1 foot from bikes

Zion, IL

#40 Apr 21, 2008
bemused wrote:
Bill is not ever very funny, his humor always mean spirited and snide. This type of humor does not require any true thought or creativity, too bad he has no real comic talent. Making fun is for bullies and low brows. I don't watch him and will continue to do so. He is free to be a jerk but I will not support him.
How do you know all this if you don't watch him?
TYPICAL

Bartlett, IL

#41 Apr 21, 2008
He has a right to free speech. Just turn off the TV.

Here's the bigger issue. The Pope speaks numerous languages, is extraordinarily well-educated and in comparison, Bill Maher shrinks to the size of a pin.

Bill Maher's comments make him look small. I feel sorry for him. He is a grotesquely odd looking person who is mean-spirited and base.
I Have His Wallet

United States

#42 Apr 21, 2008
Mary wrote:
If anyone said 1/2 of the hateful things that this man said against Jews, Blacks or Muslims they would have been fired after the first comment and not even afforded the opportunity to apologize. Why is it Roman Catholics are fair game for hateful attacks?
If he said it about Muslims they would issue a fatwah. Bill Maher would have to go into hiding, because in reality he is a coward. The Church and Catholics have a long history of "turning the other cheek". This is why many are so openly hateful. This 2,000 year old institution is far from perfect, but has done many great things for humanity.

In America we have a right to free speech. Let Maher say whatever he wants - if you don't like his show - don't watch it. No viewers=no ratings=no job - help him get off the air the right way!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Comedy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drunk Halloween Costume Tutorial Oct 15 zeenahabboub 1
News The Young and the Restless Might Finally Debut ... Oct 15 John 13
News Kimmel calls Louisiana senator 'inbred' during ... Oct 14 Putins Glock Holster 9
News Why Bila Left 'The View': CNN Tipped Her ABC Wa... Oct 13 mnc 12
News How Will & Grace Paved the Way for Gay Characte... Oct 13 JACK 4
News Meyers says nature of Weinstein allegations mak... Oct 11 Not Funny Now 1
Stephen Colbert sucks . seriously late night co... Oct 10 Greg 8
More from around the web