Harvey Fierstein Pens 'Times' Op-Ed on Russian Anti-Gay Crackdown

Jul 22, 2013 Full story: BroadwayWorld.com 15

Playwright and actor Harvey Fierstein has written an op-ed piece in today's New York Times , in which he expresses his stern opposition to Russia's recent crackdown on homosexuals.

Full Story

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Jul 22, 2013
Right on, Harve!

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#2 Jul 23, 2013
Common sense decision......if you are a gay athlete, or anyone connected with the event, don't go to the Winter Games in Russia. You might just be stuck there for longer than you planned. And who in their right mind wants to go to Russia in the Winter in the first place?
Fogel

Courbevoie, France

#3 Jul 23, 2013
I love Russia!

Putin and the Russian people have my full support!

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#4 Jul 23, 2013
Fogel wrote:
I love Russia!
Morning, LITTLE liar, up and lying so soon? A day without lying is a day without sunshine for you, isn't it?

How many false names and false homelands are you going to use today, LITTLE liar?

Palm Springs, California

#5 Jul 23, 2013
RalphB wrote:
Common sense decision......if you are a gay athlete, or anyone connected with the event, don't go to the Winter Games in Russia. You might just be stuck there for longer than you planned. And who in their right mind wants to go to Russia in the Winter in the first place?
Thanks be to the Goddess that my grandparents moved heaven and earth to leave that hole back in like 1911 or so. I used to think it'd be fun to visit the old sod, but they can shove it now.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

#6 Jul 23, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks be to the Goddess that my grandparents moved heaven and earth to leave that hole back in like 1911 or so. I used to think it'd be fun to visit the old sod, but they can shove it now.
Well, if things change, I urge you to travel to your ancestors home. I did that in Germany, and I can't express the feelings that came over me when I walked into the houses where my great-great grandfather and grandmother lived before coming to St. Louis. It is a feeling that one must experience, because no one I have met can adequately express it.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#7 Jul 23, 2013
Fogel wrote:
I love Russia!
Obviously not your FULL support. You don't support the GAY people of Russia. You appear to be happy to strip freedom away from people who are too different from yourself.
SLIF

Georgetown, Canada

#8 Jul 23, 2013
Fogel wrote:
I love Russia!
Then go live there and stop trolling all gay forums.

Palm Springs, California

#9 Jul 23, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if things change, I urge you to travel to your ancestors home. I did that in Germany, and I can't express the feelings that came over me when I walked into the houses where my great-great grandfather and grandmother lived before coming to St. Louis. It is a feeling that one must experience, because no one I have met can adequately express it.
It would be fun but a pal of mine from my old work place was from that area of the Ukraine, and he told me that my grandparents' area was hideous and I would probably be in danger even showing up down there, them spotting me as soon as I got out of the car or train.

As he said, in his Boris Badanov voice..."Yooo vould NOT like eet!"

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

#10 Jul 24, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>It would be fun but a pal of mine from my old work place was from that area of the Ukraine, and he told me that my grandparents' area was hideous and I would probably be in danger even showing up down there, them spotting me as soon as I got out of the car or train.
As he said, in his Boris Badanov voice..."Yooo vould NOT like eet!"
Vell den, I vould not gu. Pick another limb off your family tree, and go visit there. Are, if you want, I can loan you my family tree, and you can go there instead. I'll make you an honorary member of the family if it helps.
bad for you

Knoxville, TN

#11 Jul 24, 2013
Fogel wrote:
I love Russia!
Amen!

Palm Springs, California

#12 Jul 24, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Vell den, I vould not gu. Pick another limb off your family tree, and go visit there. Are, if you want, I can loan you my family tree, and you can go there instead. I'll make you an honorary member of the family if it helps.
Aww, how nice. Thank you.

I did live in Munich for several months when I was quite a bit younger. An American woman I knew married a German guy and they invited me to live in their apartment's massive attic. It was bigger than their apartment. My dad's family was Bavarian and it was beyond interesting to see that lovely city. I felt like Ann Frank, without the stress, or crabby roommates. My German got so good that I was even dreaming auf Deustch. Since my poor dad's background was VERY sketchy, I was never quite sure exactly where his branch was from, but it was nice to trod the old sod.

Palm Springs, California

#13 Jul 24, 2013
bad for you wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen!
How nice for you, complimenting your own post. I guess since no one else will, why not YOU, LITTLE liar?

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

#14 Jul 24, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Aww, how nice. Thank you.
I did live in Munich for several months when I was quite a bit younger. An American woman I knew married a German guy and they invited me to live in their apartment's massive attic. It was bigger than their apartment. My dad's family was Bavarian and it was beyond interesting to see that lovely city. I felt like Ann Frank, without the stress, or crabby roommates. My German got so good that I was even dreaming auf Deustch. Since my poor dad's background was VERY sketchy, I was never quite sure exactly where his branch was from, but it was nice to trod the old sod.
One more comment on this, and then I guess we better let it go and get back on topic. My family was from Westphlia. The town was so small they had to have their kids christened in the next town over. But the homes are still there, albeit a little larger due to additions being built. And descendants of the original family still lives in them, and I visited. I'll never forget the experience and people. By the way, they have the impression at all Americans who can afford to visit are rich.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

#15 Jul 24, 2013
ooops. "Westphlia" should be "Westphalia"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Comedy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ellen DeGeneres Overnights The Black And Blue D... 13 hr Kelly 3
'SNL': Fake ISIS ad with Dakota Johnson divides... 19 hr Wake Up 1
Lights, camera, action for filming of pilot for... (Jan '09) Sun Justin Lewis 48
NBC 'Nightly News' holds ratings lead again wit... Feb 27 chanta 1
Ashton Kutcher is not playing Walter Isaacson's... (Apr '12) Feb 27 Frozen U Tube 123
'The Young and the Restless': Fan power changed... Feb 25 Gloria 1
New Cosby accuser: 'Do you remember me?' Feb 25 From the frigid N... 2
More from around the web