Sean Hayes Opens Up About Coming Out to the Media

Oct 29, 2013 Full story: EDGE 22

Actor Sean Hayes, best known for his role as the flamboyant Jack McFarland from the groundbreaking NBC sitcom "Will & Grace," says he owes the LGBT community an apology for coming out too late in an interview with the Los Angeles Times.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

#1 Oct 29, 2013
I can't stand him.
Quentin

Anonymous Proxy

#2 Oct 29, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
I can't stand him.
Neither can I.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

#3 Oct 29, 2013
And all the time he was in the closet, NOBODY would've even guessed he was gay ! NOOOOOOOOO..........

Since: Sep 09

San Francisco, CA

#4 Oct 29, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
I can't stand him.
I'm sure the feeling is mutual.
Sean Hayes

San Francisco, CA

#5 Oct 29, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
I can't stand him.
What a coincidence. I can't stand you either.

Neither can Will.
Or Grace.
Or Karen.
Or 99% of Topix readers.

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#6 Oct 29, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
I can't stand him.
That's weird coming from such a secure "butch guy" who has a thing for drag queens!

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#7 Oct 29, 2013
I'm glad Mr. Hayes wants to apologize. But I don't think it's that big of a deal. Each person needs to decide on their own when they want to be open about their sexuality, be they gay or straight.

To condemn him for not coming out sooner serves no useful purpose IMO.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

#8 Oct 29, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>That's weird coming from such a secure "butch guy" who has a thing for drag queens!
It's not that. He was so hypocritical. He would prance around and deny the obvious, when being honest may have inspired some gay kids and given them courage to come out and be honest. Instead he made it look like being gay was something to hide and be ashamed about.

I admire Chris Colfer (who was on "The Queen Latifah Show" the other day) for being completely open and honest.(And Queen Latifah is another closet queen, but that's another story).

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#9 Oct 29, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not that. He was so hypocritical. He would prance around and deny the obvious, when being honest may have inspired some gay kids and given them courage to come out and be honest. Instead he made it look like being gay was something to hide and be ashamed about.
I admire Chris Colfer (who was on "The Queen Latifah Show" the other day) for being completely open and honest.(And Queen Latifah is another closet queen, but that's another story).
Have a little compassion.. "Will and Grace" came out in the late 90's. I just read a good article in the Sunday Times about him. He said they got death threats all the time when the show was new. He was just starting out in the biz and was petrified. He said he is NO way like Jack in the show. That was the way his character was written. Everyone comes out when he or she is ready.

He played Jerry Lewis in a bio movie, Jerry picked him to play him. He was incredible and a times I thought he WAS Jerry he was so good at the role.

Besides, for one who claims to NEVER watch TV you sure seem to know every show and every actor.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

#10 Oct 29, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Have a little compassion.. "Will and Grace" came out in the late 90's. I just read a good article in the Sunday Times about him. He said they got death threats all the time when the show was new. He was just starting out in the biz and was petrified. He said he is NO way like Jack in the show. That was the way his character was written. Everyone comes out when he or she is ready.
He played Jerry Lewis in a bio movie, Jerry picked him to play him. He was incredible and a times I thought he WAS Jerry he was so good at the role.
Besides, for one who claims to NEVER watch TV you sure seem to know every show and every actor.
While I'm certainly a big many fan, and a big fan of imdb, I'm certainly not an expert, and there are many "popular" shows that I've never seen at all. In fact, each year when the lists of the most popular shows are published, mine usually don't even make the top 30.

It's not that he was was closeted, and has nothing to do with the character. It was the fact that THE ACTOR Sean Hayes, would prance around OBVIOUSLY gay, yet deny it or refuse to address it. read his interview in "THE ADVOCATE" from that time. He's a hypocrite.

And are you saying that there were NO openly gay actors on tv before Sean Hayes came out ?!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#11 Oct 29, 2013
Count on the "EDGE" to choose a ramble of cliche over substantive reporting.

A "flamboyant" gay character is anything but "groundbreaking".

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

#12 Oct 29, 2013
snyper wrote:
Count on the "EDGE" to choose a ramble of cliche over substantive reporting.
A "flamboyant" gay character is anything but "groundbreaking".
Apparently he was "groundbreaking", because he embraced "don't ask, don't tell".

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#13 Oct 29, 2013
All I know is back in '97, I was kissing some cute, blue eyed guy, at the bar beside Hamburger Mary's in San Diego, and a week later saw the posters to "Billy's Hollywood Kiss", and and realized it was the main character in the movie. Oh, the innocent days, before Will/Grace.
Royce

France

#14 Oct 29, 2013
NE Jade wrote:
All I know is back in '97, I was kissing some cute, blue eyed guy, at the bar beside Hamburger Mary's in San Diego, and a week later saw the posters to "Billy's Hollywood Kiss", and and realized it was the main character in the movie. Oh, the innocent days, before Will/Grace.
That's disgusting. You are one sick nasty ass fagg@t.
Nelson

Amsterdam, Netherlands

#15 Oct 29, 2013
NE Jade wrote:
All I know is back in '97, I was kissing some cute, blue eyed guy, at the bar beside Hamburger Mary's in San Diego, and a week later saw the posters to "Billy's Hollywood Kiss", and and realized it was the main character in the movie. Oh, the innocent days, before Will/Grace.
Did he fist you later?

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#16 Oct 29, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not that. He was so hypocritical. He would prance around and deny the obvious, when being honest may have inspired some gay kids and given them courage to come out and be honest. Instead he made it look like being gay was something to hide and be ashamed about.
I admire Chris Colfer (who was on "The Queen Latifah Show" the other day) for being completely open and honest.(And Queen Latifah is another closet queen, but that's another story).
I don't recall him ever DENYING it. Care to site your sources?

But then you expect the whole world to dance to your standards.

So in these cases you see no right to privacy for these people? Some libertarian you are!

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#17 Oct 29, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently he was "groundbreaking", because he embraced "don't ask, don't tell".
And apparently libertarians of your nature don't believe a person has a right to privacy.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#18 Oct 30, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I don't recall him ever DENYING it. Care to site your sources?
But then you expect the whole world to dance to your standards.
So in these cases you see no right to privacy for these people? Some libertarian you are!
What are you thinking! There's no "right to privacy" in the Constitution!

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

#19 Oct 30, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you thinking! There's no "right to privacy" in the Constitution!
There's no "right to vote" either !

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#20 Oct 30, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no "right to vote" either !
That one is very debatable, but privacy isn't mentioned anywhere.

Don't you feel so secure?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Comedy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bill Maher Afraid Mohammeds, Islam Taking Over ... (Oct '10) 20 hr Go Blue Forever 15
Miller puts own spin on longtime 'GH' character Mon howardjhonson 1
Woody Harrelson didn't known Liam and Chris Hem... Mon howardjhonson 1
LazyTown: No One's Lazy In Lazy Town (Nov '07) Mon Joe 2
the Wind Rises Mon SHlTCHINAUKRAINED... 2
Janice Dickinson says Bill Cosby raped her in 1982 Nov 24 Mark Winshel 2
London city councillor wants Cosby's show cance... Nov 23 Harper Valley PTA 1

Comedy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE