Robin Williams Tunnel? Movement launc...

Robin Williams Tunnel? Movement launched to rename Waldo Tunnel in Marin

There are 14 comments on the Inside Bay Area story from Aug 19, 2014, titled Robin Williams Tunnel? Movement launched to rename Waldo Tunnel in Marin. In it, Inside Bay Area reports that:

There is a move afoot to rename the Waldo Tunnel -- the gateway into Marin on Highway 101 -- after Robin Williams.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inside Bay Area.

The Gist

Beverly, MA

#1 Aug 19, 2014
Like Robin and enjoyed his movies, but really, no, just no to naming a tunnel after him.

Let him rest. Tunnels are noisy, dark and just things that most people with good sense are not all that keen on going through.

If there is ever a bad accident in there, then Robin's family would have to endure that along with their difficult loss.

Just do a nice bronze statue and place it in one of his favorite locations. His family would probably be much more comforted by that.

Since: Nov 10

Blairsville, Ga

#2 Aug 19, 2014
The Gist wrote:
Just do a nice bronze statue and place it in one of his favorite locations. His family would probably be much more comforted by that.
I say we should compromise, and name the planet after him. I mean, "earth" really doesn't do a whole lot for me...

Blairsville, Ga

#3 Aug 20, 2014
RICKY RAT wrote:
<quoted text> I say we should compromise, and name the planet after him.
I'm just not sure how difficult a process that would be. We should look to the past, to try and get some idea. Now, when they were naming Montana in honor of 46ers great Joe Montana, what were the steps and whatnot they had to go through...

Blairsville, Ga

#5 Aug 20, 2014
Huh. I wonder why that ^^^ says "46ers" up there. NINERS, baby...

Blairsville, Ga

#6 Aug 20, 2014
RICKY RAT wrote:
<quoted text> I'm just not sure how difficult a process that would be. We should look to the past, to try and get some idea. Now, when they were naming Montana in honor of 46ers great Joe Montana, what were the steps and whatnot they had to go through...
You'll read anything I write, won't you? Amazing.

Blairsville, Ga

#7 Aug 20, 2014
Hiding in my room. Safe within my womb. I touch no one. And no one touches me.

Blairsville, Ga

#8 Aug 20, 2014
Huh. You get a gigantic whatchamacallit ^^^ nowadays. What'lltheythinkupnext...

“Taste great in milk!”

Since: Aug 08

#9 Aug 20, 2014
RICKY RAT wrote:
Huh..

“Taste great in milk!”

Since: Aug 08

#10 Aug 20, 2014
RICKY RAT wrote:
I already have a gigantic whatchamacallit, why would I want another?
A Thought

Vacaville, CA

#11 Aug 20, 2014
The Gist wrote:
Like Robin and enjoyed his movies, but really, no, just no to naming a tunnel after him.
Let him rest. Tunnels are noisy, dark and just things that most people with good sense are not all that keen on going through.
If there is ever a bad accident in there, then Robin's family would have to endure that along with their difficult loss.
Good Point.

“"The Vindictive Vampire"”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#14 Aug 23, 2014
Good Idea!
sceptic vox vocis

Norristown, PA

#15 Aug 24, 2014
they want to name a tunnel in San Francisco after Robin Williams...a suicidal drug addict...I think there are many other influential persons that could be mentioned on that tunnel...do we want our kids to look at roll models that give up on life and accept that as an option ?..yeah he was a depressive he had problems...who doesn't ?...there are many other people who have overcome that and who have made a greater impact on their communities and society in general...this man was merely fortunate in his occupation...his occupation was the causal factor in his celebrity status not his philanthropy or his great achievements...put somebodies name on there that has done something

“..A little kingdom...”

Since: Aug 14

Location hidden

#16 Aug 24, 2014
Magnolia

Beverly, MA

#17 Aug 24, 2014
sceptic vox vocis wrote:
they want to name a tunnel in San Francisco after Robin Williams...a suicidal drug addict...I think there are many other influential persons that could be mentioned on that tunnel...do we want our kids to look at roll models that give up on life and accept that as an option ?..yeah he was a depressive he had problems...who doesn't ?...there are many other people who have overcome that and who have made a greater impact on their communities and society in general...this man was merely fortunate in his occupation...his occupation was the causal factor in his celebrity status not his philanthropy or his great achievements...put somebodies name on there that has done something
Your viewpoint on how depression and suicide interact and result in death is not quite accurate and actually rather insensitive.

Robin will be remembered I am sure at a more appropriate location. To me the tunnel is just not a good fit.

Tunnels should be named for a feature in a particular location, never after people.

Celebrities in general should been seen as people and never role models.

Expecting a celebrity to be a role model is just setting the majority of kids up for depression. Pretty much the thing that Robin himself would agree.

Kids should be exposed to people in their community who do good works as role models and not some stodgy statue, landmark name or cold placard for a role model.

If Thomas Jefferson were alive today, we would not be impressed with his financial situation or his ideas about family or fairness and nothing would be named after him.

History and reality have a way of chipping away at that kind of hero worship. It should never be done in the first place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Comedy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Welcome to the partisan fury, Michelle Wolf 15 hr Spare me 4
Who has the bigger pen!s... May 20 Kovu 1
News Broadcast networks go for milk-and-cookies comf... May 19 A Waste of Time 1
News Kimmel apologizes for Melania Trump joke amid H... May 19 Jefferson 3
News Lights, camera, action for filming of pilot for... (Jan '09) May 18 IHadAFeeling 65
News House member seeks to stop turkey drop at Arkan... May 18 Fun Fantoo 7
News Heaton back on camera (Mar '07) May 18 Anonymous 3