Former anchorman Bill Kurtis hasn't l...

Former anchorman Bill Kurtis hasn't lost his voice

There are 12 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 1, 2008, titled Former anchorman Bill Kurtis hasn't lost his voice. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

It is the winter of a long and celebrated career. The TV news anchor ought to be retired, golfing or some such, in DuPage County or Arizona, maybe hosting the occasional weekend public-affairs show on UHF, just ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Abbie

Naperville, IL

#1 Dec 1, 2008
Tallgrass rocks! We get it at Family Foods in Warrenville. Yummmm.
To Each His Age

Edmond, OK

#2 Dec 1, 2008
Congrats to Bill Kurtis. He escaped the clammy meat hooks of WBBM-TV when he couldn't do the impossible with the ratings -- then the same thing with the CBS Bloodshot Eye at the network level.

Why shouldn't he work if he wants to? I spent a career in commercial TV news and now co-anchor for a PBS organization, do voiceover commercials, industrial videos and out-of-state on-camera work. I'll be 70 next month.

Bully for Bill Kurtis. May he continue to give 'em hell.
Spector

Chicago, IL

#3 Dec 1, 2008
I'd much rather have him back in front of a camera delivering the news! Like many other newsmen, including Cronkite, he left the stage far, far too early.
Pondering

United States

#5 Dec 1, 2008
I love his voice and I am only 30 years old.
Billy Buoy

Chicago, IL

#8 Dec 1, 2008
Ah yes, Bill Kurtis---the man from Kansas made famous for reporting live through a Tornado while holed up at the radio station...learning live the power of pauses and real life inflections of the voice, from real fear and uncertainty---only to then bring those same "acting stunts" to television news reporting under the guise of genuineness.

Come on folks---its all scripted, right down to the pauses and "look downs and aways" Kurtis was infamous for.

I mean he's a great guy, but its all acting and there is no better actor at delivering news or doing voice overs than Kurtis. La Pietra was/is the brains of the whole operation thats why he linked up with her during her producing days at bbm.

Peace out or Knock out--you're choice.
BK Fan

Bartlesville, OK

#9 Dec 1, 2008
I think Bill Kurtis rocks! I have read all his books and love "Bill Kurtis: On Assignment" and his take on journalism. He has been able to move between on air work, documentaries, raising environmentally sustainable cattle and his charity work with great ease and is a great role model. If only the so-called journalists of today had half the work ethic, creativity and drive that Bill Kurtis does the profession would be better!

Congrats to you Bill, keep on working...the world still wants to watch you and the great programs that your company produces!
Steak

Chicago, IL

#10 Dec 1, 2008
I too think he's great.
J in KC

Jefferson City, MO

#11 Dec 2, 2008
Billy Buoy wrote:
...made famous for reporting live through a Tornado while holed up at the radio station...
It was a TV station, hammerhead, and he spent 24 hours on the air reporting on the aftermath. That's pretty doggoned genuine, and he brought the same work ethic to Chicago.

A role model then, a role model now.
Juan

Dousman, WI

#12 Dec 2, 2008
Bill Kurtis is one of the two news men or woman I trust to give accurate reporting. A good man and a true talent.
Stay around Bill, we need honest news people in a world of bias reporting.
Pete

Versailles, KY

#13 Dec 2, 2008
Bill Kurtis is a class act. He was blessed with having all the tools needed to be a superstar in his field. I don't believe that CBS used him properly, when he was with the network.

I thought of him often, as an example, when when CBS was floundering around for a new news anchor with gravitas. What CBS got was perky Katie, who should have stayed throwing biased softballs on Today. CBS's hopes dashed in the ratings and viewers flatlined.
Sully in Savannah

Jacksonville, FL

#14 Dec 2, 2008
Billy the K learned long ago that creating his own form was not a mortal sin. He linked with a top Chicago agent, pioneered a top flight investigative team, and was glib and edgy on the luncheon circuit. He was and is always himself. There was a time at BBM that each newsie had to live in Chicago itself and register as an independent voter. The Tiffany types there when he arrrived defined broadcast journalism as an endless series of official soundbites.His career has outlived sterotypes and pomposity. He actually has fun reporting on his passions as well as playing the comedic actor for what it is worth. I say lift your glass to Kurtis and know there is a future for all of us. What a darlin' storyteller.
Rock on.
BKB

Mount Prospect, IL

#15 Dec 5, 2008
Bill, make Donna an honest woman and get married--Ok??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

More from around the web