big 3 bailout!
Troy

Mount Juliet, TN

#1 Dec 3, 2008
It seems to me with the election not that long ago and the goverment knowing about the big 3 issue at hand,the American tax payer should have had a chance to vote on this bailout.Everyone asumes Americans are standing in line to buy U.S.cars and if that were true,we wouldn't be talking about this today.
ray

Irving, TX

#2 Dec 4, 2008
It is not the governments place to determine who stays in business and who doesn't. Consumers decide. The taxpayer cannot continue to bail out failed businesses and their failed business plans. The American people have already voted when they chose to buy a Honda or a Toyota.
Hope

Atlanta, GA

#3 Dec 5, 2008
I am very upset that they are asking for tax payers money. During the same time frame that they were sitting in front of the panel asking for Billions of our dollars, they were sending
40 couples to Africa all expenses paid. Airfare, hotels, food, spending money, as well as the hunting escapades. This trip is one out of 10 to 12 trips that they send people on throughout the year. One of the trips was to Europe, where they were able to pick and choose expensive jewelry. I believe they bought Rolex watches for all, both spouses. If we could add that up year after year, they might not be in such a bind. If they get our money, I hope strick guidelines will be in place so it's not going to these lavish trips 10 times a year!!!!! I wish someone would investigate this, get all the facts correct, and get it out there so others would know how they are spending their money and soon to be ours.
derald louisville

Lexington, KY

#4 Dec 6, 2008
as long as they let the imports come in are jobs are going out every import that comes in the us is one less sale for the big 3
Jim

East Liverpool, OH

#5 Dec 12, 2008
This is an attempt to break the unions by the Republicans. They wish to bring back slave labor so loved by the rich in the south in the past.

The UAW and retirees are being asked to pay for the mistakes of management and lack of national transportation policy. If workers cannot have a contract all management contracts should be eliminated as well. No pensions, golden parachutes or stock options for management. All salaries at all levels to be public.

Bail outs are bad but retirees did not cause this and need to have their pensions protected. They cannot be expected to pay for their sucessors mistakes.

Company survival is not important but american worker livelihood is. Bad management decisions caused their problems. Nationalize the industry temporarily not bankruptcy. They need a plan that preserves all jobs and plants by innovating the industry.

Let them build a national super interstate and local high speed rail system to help people have an alternative to driving. If China Asia and Europe can do it we can. The interstate highway system brought on the boom we have had in cars and oil consumption. Oil is mostly used in vehicles and heating. Both can be dramatically reduced or eliminated. Elimination of the internal combustion engine should be a top national priority.

The government CAN cause this to happen and fund it in the interest of the people. A profit motive will not drive the changes we need. Profit is an excuse for greed. Reasonable profit is good but excess profit causes overly high prices driving greedy economic bubbles and resulting recession. The wealthy profit in both situations. Regulate regulate regulate for the majority of people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

CNN Newsroom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
full investigation on trump needed to see what ... (Nov '16) Nov '16 investigation on... 1
Weather (Mar '13) Mar '13 tmbr_wolf 1
smoking laws (Jun '11) Jun '11 canadian ex-smoker 1
Boycott CNN Advertisers (Jun '11) Jun '11 CNN just like MSNBC 1
Don Lemon Sucks Keep John Vaas (Feb '11) Feb '11 News 1
Volcano eruption in Alaska (Mar '09) May '10 Mark 2
Bonuses (Mar '09) Mar '09 JTJoy 1
More from around the web