What each network brings to election ...

What each network brings to election night coverage

There are 12 comments on the Newsday story from Nov 3, 2008, titled What each network brings to election night coverage. In it, Newsday reports that:

Finally, the finale. But where to turn? As the networks wrap coverage of the longest, wildest campaign season since the last one, various truisms remain firmly in place.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Reality Check

West Nyack, NY

#1 Nov 3, 2008
Here's the Cliff Notes rundown on the boobtube coverage.

CNN/MSNBC+NBC/CBS/ABC=Obama Cheerleaders

FOX=Fair & Balance

Got it. Good.
Andrew Scot

United States

#2 Nov 4, 2008
Global attention

Numerous international perspectives on the election will also be available Tuesday night to U.S. TV viewers. The one not to miss: the BBC global broadcast, U.S. Election Night, which will air on the BBC America cable channel. Co-anchors David Dimbleby and Matt Frie will be joined in the studio by former ABC anchorman Ted Koppel for what the BBC calls "big-picture perspective and global analysis."

In addition to reaction to election results from the BBC's worldwide team of correspondents, the program will include commentary and analysis from comedy writer Ricky Gervais ( The Office) and authors Gore Vidal and Christopher Hitchens. Talk about commentators willing to go where few others dare.
Loyal Democrat

Wantagh, NY

#3 Nov 4, 2008
The only thing you will get from the networkds is evidence of their own bias.

The one thing this election has taught us is we do not have an independent, balanced media.

Watching the evening news is nothing more than subjecting yourself to a very long and obvious infomercial.
John - Willy Park

Holtsville, NY

#5 Nov 4, 2008
Reason to watch: Maddow, suddenly a hot property for this once-declared-dead, now-sizzling news network.

I thought this was a serious article until I came across that line. Where did this info come from anyway? Hot property? Sizzling news network? Isn't Maddow an NPR reject? MSNBC is the lowest rated cable station on TV. Maddow, Mathews and Olberman have a smaller audience than a grammar school Christmas play. Keep up the comedy it really great.
Southbound

Kansas City, MO

#6 Nov 4, 2008
I can't wait until they replace all of these biased left news networks with Obama's own national news service. These idiots have been helpful in advancing Obama's goals, but they will be sacrificed now that they are of no further use.
FOX and talk radio will be the first to go…. They express free thought. There’ll be no more of that allowed!
JVTrainor

Edison, NJ

#7 Nov 4, 2008
i think we all should watch Comedy Central. John Stewart, Steve Colbert. Perfect.......
Ed Burke

Coram, NY

#8 Nov 4, 2008
FOX = Radical Rightwing Propaganda and Lunatic Fringe Spin Only Channel, owned by (alien) Australian Rupert Murdock.

NBC, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, CNN provide Actual News, and commentary from Intelligent, knowledgable people who would consider working over at FOX a step below Prostitution.

To make it clear remember this, " Haliburtondick Cheney only watches FOX !" Nuf Said !

Got IT !

GOOD !
new yorker

Smithtown, NY

#9 Nov 4, 2008
It's BECAUSE of the network and newspapers' bias, we have Obama as a Presidential candidate....!!!!

The ONLY candidate in American history that was SELECTED NOT ELECTED by "WE THE PEOPLE" to be our choice.
Loyal Democrat

Wantagh, NY

#10 Nov 4, 2008
Ed Burke wrote:
FOX = Radical Rightwing Propaganda and Lunatic Fringe Spin Only Channel, owned by (alien) Australian Rupert Murdock.
NBC, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, CNN provide Actual News, and commentary from Intelligent, knowledgable people who would consider working over at FOX a step below Prostitution.
To make it clear remember this, " Haliburtondick Cheney only watches FOX !" Nuf Said !
Got IT !
GOOD !
Ed, I see a future for you teaching social justice in a liberal college.

They will grant you tenure immediately.
Just Saying

Laurel, MD

#11 Nov 4, 2008
Ed Burke wrote:
Got IT !
GOOD !
Except that an independent media watchdog group that surveyed election coverage found that the fairest NEWS coverage of this election campaign has come from FOX (whose stories about both Obama and McCain were negative towards the candidates about 40% of the time, a tie), while MSNBC stories about McCain were negative 73% of the time, compared to only about 23% negative for Obama. The other networks also favored Obama in their coverage by similar percentages. I'm sure that Brit Hume, Chris Wallace, Greta Van Susteren, and the other news anchors at FOX would object to having what they do called "a step below Prostitution". By the way, what does that make Keith Obermann, Larry King, Chris Matthews, Wolf Blitzer, Katie Couric, Brian Williams, and company?

You lump all FOX personalities together, but ignore the fact that while FOX features commentators like Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly, whose job it is to give their opinions of what's happening in the world, it also has newscasters who report the news fairly. Unlike the other networks, where there seems to be little or no distinction between reporting the news, and taking sides as a commentator.

Now calm down before you have a stroke!
Ed Burkes Mom

West Nyack, NY

#12 Nov 4, 2008
To think I gave birth to this moron. I'm sorry people. Really I am.
Newday is a Rag

Stamford, CT

#13 Nov 4, 2008
I can't seem to find the Black Panther Voter intimidation story in Newsday, on CNN, NBC, ABC, or CBS. Do you think they don't know about the story yet, or do you think they are willfully withholding the information?

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/black_pant...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chuck Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Dance Moms' Is Bigger Than Ever (Jan '13) May '14 amw 56
News NBC Picks Up 'Chuck,' 'Life' - Freshman series ... (Sep '09) Apr '14 Dawgz70476 7
News 'Bonanza' memorabilia going up for auction in Nev. (Jun '13) Jun '13 A Thought 2
News Chuck: The Complete Fifth and Final Season (May '12) May '12 JosephMendiola 1
News 'Chuck' series finale: The end is a new beginning (Jan '12) Jan '12 mmmmmmmmm 2
News Happy 90th birthday, Betty White (Jan '12) Jan '12 Otis B Driftwood 1
News 10 Reasons To Keep 'Chuck' On The Air (May '09) Nov '11 lilygraceheminsley 3
More from around the web