Bill Nye the Science Guy says creatio...

Bill Nye the Science Guy says creationism not good for kids

There are 62 comments on the in.reuters.com story from Aug 29, 2012, titled Bill Nye the Science Guy says creationism not good for kids. In it, in.reuters.com reports that:

Scientist and children's television personality Bill Nye, in a newly released online video, panned biblical creationism and implored American parents who reject the scientific theory of evolution not to teach their beliefs to their youngsters.

"I say to the grownups, 'If you want to deny evolution and live in your world that's completely inconsistent with everything we've observed in the universe that's fine. But don't make your kids do it,'" said Nye, best known as host of the educational TV series "Bill Nye the Science Guy."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at in.reuters.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#64 Aug 29, 2012
bohart wrote:
I'll buy creation before I'd buy all existence coming into being from nothing, caused by nothing, for the purpose of nothing.
The Universe as we know it did not come from nothing, it just rearranged itself 15 billion years ago, and as far as what your pupose is, you haven't a clue. You'll not find an answer in Christianity.

The sun and the moon made it possible for a biosphere to form around this planet and for human beings to arise with in it. And you go off talking about some sky pixie who doesn't even exist.

Let's pretend God did exist!

Then these verses which give unlimited powers to those who pray and ask God for assistance would all be true.

(a) "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened"--Matt. 7:7-8, Luke 11:9-10;
(b) "Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you"--John 16:23;
(c) "And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive"Matt. 21:22.

Additional verses are: John 14:12-14, John 3:22, Mark 11:23-24, and James 5:15. In order to counteract the patent inaccuracy of these premises, apologists seek modification through James 4:3 and 1 John 5:14. The former says, "Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask remiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." In other words, the reason the prayers of the sick, the old, the infirm, the afflicted, etc. have not been answered is because they were based on lust, greed and other selfish motives. It's hard to believe even hardened apologists really believe this. On the other hand, 1 John 5:14 ("...if we ask anything according to his will, he heareth us") represents a more subtle ploy. Prayers are not answered because they do not comply with God's will. The problems with this explanation are:

(a) the earlier verses said nothing about God's will or the need to fulfill His desires, and
(b) judging from many prayers which people feel were answered, one can't help but question God's morality. Praying, for example, that one's relative will die in order to inherit his wealth and having your wish materialize, does not speak well for God.
frank

Oakland, CA

#70 Aug 30, 2012
Creationists and other liars and goofballs think quoting the statements of scientists counts as research.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of_quotes_o...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Children TV Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Melania Trump kicks off 139th annual Easter Egg... Apr 18 guest 2
News UPEI to highlight Anne author with new chair in... Apr 12 Kathy 1
News CBC's 'Anne' shows darker past of 'accidental f... Apr 3 sharon 2
News The Visitor Mar 25 binaries 1
News Meet 'Sesame Street's' muppet with autism Mar '17 Christaliban 9
News Hilary Duff (Feb '06) Mar '17 Gammy 4,108
News Remembering prolific actor Christopher Wiggins Mar '17 Wellington County... 1
More from around the web