'iCarly,' not Hannah Montana, is the real 'tween queen

Apr 27, 2009 Full story: CW2 Colorado KWGN-TV 29

Everyone knows who Hannah Montana is. But perhaps only kids know she's been unseated as TV's reigning 'tween queen by one Carly Shay.

Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Gordo

Tulsa, OK

#1 Apr 29, 2009
Icarly took the award for favorite tv show at the kid choice awards. HM won no awards although Cyrus did win for best musician. HM has jumped the shark. It is painful to watch and it is clear the direction of the show is all about how great Miley is. Meanwhile, Icarly is ensemble comedy where Cosgrove is just one of many who make the show funny. She doesn't hog the camera and is often the straightgirl to the comedy of the other 3 principle characters. And it doesn't have a creepy dad like Billy lurking around every episode. Small wonder kids like it better than HM.

Since: May 09

Halethorpe, MD

#2 May 4, 2009
how do you get to the hannah montana haters club? plz tell me someone!
coolestpersoneve r

Melrose, MA

#3 May 13, 2009
well i like both shows!!!!!
coolestpersoneve r

Melrose, MA

#4 May 13, 2009
Gordo wrote:
Icarly took the award for favorite tv show at the kid choice awards. HM won no awards although Cyrus did win for best musician. HM has jumped the shark. It is painful to watch and it is clear the direction of the show is all about how great Miley is. Meanwhile, Icarly is ensemble comedy where Cosgrove is just one of many who make the show funny. She doesn't hog the camera and is often the straightgirl to the comedy of the other 3 principle characters. And it doesn't have a creepy dad like Billy lurking around every episode. Small wonder kids like it better than HM.
HM could be for any one
Josh from Norristown

Norristown, PA

#5 Jun 24, 2009
I like icarly more Gordo was wright on HM its all about Miley

“twilight rulz”

Since: May 09

Flushing, NY

#6 Jun 24, 2009
i like HM but icarly is better many ways i can express my feelings by saying HM tells about a girl with a likely perfct life icarly is about regular teen that have friends who support their web show "icarly" However icarly is more of a comedy than HM, HM is more of a musical experience than comedy.I recommend both shows because they are both excellently produced!

this coming from a teen/kid
Erin

Tulsa, OK

#7 Jul 6, 2009
This coming from a teen/kid, if Miley were not such a slut, HM would be easier to take.

“twilight rulz”

Since: May 09

Flushing, NY

#8 Jul 12, 2009
Erin wrote:
This coming from a teen/kid, if Miley were not such a slut, HM would be easier to take.
icarly i would say to
Chris

Andover, MA

#9 Jul 13, 2009
Well I don't hate Hannah Montana. I can at least endure watching it without my eyes being lit aflame or collapsing to the ground in a spazam or slicing my throat. A while ago I watched a few episodes to get a taste of this now "former" craze ( because iCarly is now beating HM in ratings signifigantly while continuing to rise in popularity. HM is now decaying while soon entering its final season ) and it was very average. The acting and characters had no depth. The jokes were based around hillbillies and whatnot. Every actor I watched I found annoying and unfunny. The plots, subplots, and whole double life premise are weak. The overall show is bearable but a sign that the Disney Channel is dying. iCarly on the other hand has an excellent cast of both funny, fresh, and dynamic characters. The reuccuring ones like Gibby, Mr. Howard, and Mrs. Benson really add another dimension. Nearly every episode is of very high quality and originality ( save the horrific idream of dance episode ). I've been an avid fan of the series since its premeire and I love the show. If you like better acting and MUCH more comedy watch iCarly.--- iCarly = 10 stars -------Hannah Montana = 5 stars
miley cyrus number1 hater

Oklahoma City, OK

#10 Jul 13, 2009
hey chris whats up?
Phillip

Tulsa, OK

#11 Jul 13, 2009
You nailed it Chris but I think you gave HM too many stars. The shows in season 3 are painful to watch. The freshness of the show is long dead. It is clear Miley considers herself way too big for that show and the lack of chemestry between her and the other performers is gruesome. I like some of the other performers on the show and I just wsih they could get out of this graveyard of a TV program and get on to better work.

ICarly is fresh and while every episode isnt perfect, it is consistently funny and original. Wizards of Waverly Place seems to be able to sustain its fresh and funny appeal as well even though it has been on a while. Selena Gomez doesnt seem to think she is the center of the universe and the writing on the show stays strong from episode to episode.
---- Person ----

Andover, MA

#12 Jul 13, 2009
Well, I do hate it...:D
Chris wrote:
Well I don't hate Hannah Montana. I can at least endure watching it without my eyes being lit aflame or collapsing to the ground in a spazam or slicing my throat. A while ago I watched a few episodes to get a taste of this now "former" craze ( because iCarly is now beating HM in ratings signifigantly while continuing to rise in popularity. HM is now decaying while soon entering its final season ) and it was very average. The acting and characters had no depth. The jokes were based around hillbillies and whatnot. Every actor I watched I found annoying and unfunny. The plots, subplots, and whole double life premise are weak. The overall show is bearable but a sign that the Disney Channel is dying. iCarly on the other hand has an excellent cast of both funny, fresh, and dynamic characters. The reuccuring ones like Gibby, Mr. Howard, and Mrs. Benson really add another dimension. Nearly every episode is of very high quality and originality ( save the horrific idream of dance episode ). I've been an avid fan of the series since its premeire and I love the show. If you like better acting and MUCH more comedy watch iCarly.--- iCarly = 10 stars -------Hannah Montana = 5 stars
---- Person ----

Andover, MA

#13 Jul 13, 2009
Well, in my opinion, the comedy and plot and characters in Hannah Montana aren't very good. Unlike in iCarly, where Dan Scheinder has produced a lot of comical, intersting episodes. I've seen all of them, and I think all but one are great. Whereas in Hannah Montana, I've seen 2 episodes, and thought that they were both pretty lame. Nothing happened or was said that made me laugh, or even smile. I think Disney could do much better, like Nick.
SecretPopStar

Mary Esther, FL

#14 Jul 15, 2009
Me and my friend found this site with the entire Hannah Montana Movie. You have to fill out a survey but its free. We just used an old email adress if they asked for it and picked random answers. The movie is awesome! Sad, funny, and the music was awesome! http://hannah-montana-movies.blogspot.com/

“twilight rulz”

Since: May 09

Flushing, NY

#15 Jul 15, 2009
Chris wrote:
Well I don't hate Hannah Montana. I can at least endure watching it without my eyes being lit aflame or collapsing to the ground in a spazam or slicing my throat. A while ago I watched a few episodes to get a taste of this now "former" craze ( because iCarly is now beating HM in ratings signifigantly while continuing to rise in popularity. HM is now decaying while soon entering its final season ) and it was very average. The acting and characters had no depth. The jokes were based around hillbillies and whatnot. Every actor I watched I found annoying and unfunny. The plots, subplots, and whole double life premise are weak. The overall show is bearable but a sign that the Disney Channel is dying. iCarly on the other hand has an excellent cast of both funny, fresh, and dynamic characters. The reuccuring ones like Gibby, Mr. Howard, and Mrs. Benson really add another dimension. Nearly every episode is of very high quality and originality ( save the horrific idream of dance episode ). I've been an avid fan of the series since its premeire and I love the show. If you like better acting and MUCH more comedy watch iCarly.--- iCarly = 10 stars -------Hannah Montana = 5 stars
i would say hannah montana 3stars icarly 15stars
Anyonomous

Corona, CA

#16 Jul 16, 2009
HM=1 star iCarly=10stars on a scale from 1-10
Anyonomous

Corona, CA

#17 Jul 16, 2009
Hannah Montana has little development, every episode where something is learned its forgotten next episode. iCarly has more development. HM has almost no continuity except for a little, while iCarly has more.
Eliot

Tulsa, OK

#18 Jul 23, 2009
Anyonomous wrote:
Hannah Montana has little development, every episode where something is learned its forgotten next episode. iCarly has more development. HM has almost no continuity except for a little, while iCarly has more.
A big factor that is hard to measure is the amount of joy and fun the actors are having doing the show. In the first year or two of Hannah Montana, everyone was clearly having a great time. They were funny, perky, goofy and not full of themselves as they have become now. Watching Hannah Montana in the last season, you see performers that seem to be in some form of torture. There is no joy or fun in their performances and they seem to be just going through the motions at best. Miley clearly feels she is having to do time with people not as wonderful as she is and her distain for her fellow performers oozes out of her. I feel bad for the young performers that play Jackson, Lily and Oliver. They are all talented comics and actors. We can only hope we see a lot out of them once they shake the chains of Disney next year.
icarly all the way

Marcus Hook, PA

#19 Jul 31, 2009
Icarly is way better and hm got a lot to work on

“twilight rulz”

Since: May 09

Flushing, NY

#20 Aug 3, 2009
icarly all the way wrote:
Icarly is way better and hm got a lot to work on
mostly on the comedy

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Children TV Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Paul McCartney, left, will induct fellow Beatle... Mar 18 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News Nogales band to march in Macy's annual parade (Nov '08) Feb '15 Xavierromao 3
News Happy Birthday, Walt Disney, Creator of Mickey ... Feb '15 bob 1
News Nogales High band to march in Macy's Thanksgivi... (Oct '08) Feb '15 Xavierromao 9
News Kids should like nautical nonsense of - SpongeBob' Feb '15 freethinkradio do... 1
News Bill Nye Tells MSNBC To Say Climate Change, Not... Feb '15 Earthling-1 1
News Northwest African American Museum Celebrates 19... Feb '15 Kid_Tomorrow 1
More from around the web