Challenging Homophobia On "Big Love"

Challenging Homophobia On "Big Love"

There are 18 comments on the www.womanist-musings.com story from Dec 21, 2009, titled Challenging Homophobia On "Big Love". In it, www.womanist-musings.com reports that:

"Big Love" is a modern day sitcom based on the life of practicing fundamentalist Mormons in Utah.Alby Grant, played by Matt Ross, was beaten last season in a bathroom after seeking anonymous sex with a man. This interesting plot twist came to light after the Mormons vigorous opposition to same sex marriage.

Alby Grant has multiple wives and believes in the principal, yet he is drawn into dangerous positions in order to fulfill his sexual yearnings. Can one possibly be gay and Mormon, especially if you belong to the fundamentalist section of the Church?

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.womanist-musings.com.

CHAS

Breckenridge, CO

#1 Dec 21, 2009
Mormons deal with being gay, Mormon and married very well. They seem to be blind to the contradictions.
Lived in Utah too long.
Leftatalbuquerqu e

Toronto, Canada

#2 Dec 21, 2009
Oh, John Lennon, where are you now?

The contortions we humans force ourselves into, rather than embrace the reality and truth of who and what we are.

Imagine.
Hung

Salt Lake City, UT

#3 Dec 21, 2009
Utah sucks!
Disgusted American

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Dec 21, 2009
Hung wrote:
Utah sucks!
u couldn't pay me to go too,nor live there...ever!As far as Imm concerned the ONLY good thing to come from there is BIG LOVE.
Kog

Salt Lake City, UT

#5 Dec 21, 2009
Big Love sucks.

All of Utah sucks.
Short Left Index Finger

Toronto, Canada

#6 Dec 21, 2009
I hate soap operas.
Kog

Salt Lake City, UT

#7 Dec 21, 2009
I hate Utah!

Since: Feb 09

Grove City, PA

#8 Dec 21, 2009
For crying out loud. It is a SIT COM. It is FICTION. Yes, I know the article admitted these things, but to treat this like it is some sort of revelation about Mormons is arrogant and misleading. How low will homosexuals go to make a point against Christians of any stripe?
Beautiful

Chicago, IL

#9 Dec 21, 2009
DustyShadow wrote:
For crying out loud. It is a SIT COM. It is FICTION. Yes, I know the article admitted these things, but to treat this like it is some sort of revelation about Mormons is arrogant and misleading. How low will homosexuals go to make a point against Christians of any stripe?
OK, you've obviously not seen the show. It is NOT a SITuation COMedy. It is FICTION but is based on reality. And as much as you hate homosexuals - we can see the hate literally dripping from your post - it's not necessarily homosexuals who are behind the story lines on original dramas shown on HBO. Were homosexuals behind The Sopranos? Sex and the City? Dexter? Curb Your Enthusiasm? Gee, if we were we must be entertainment geniuses because we've successfully monopolized the premium channel entertainment market. But I don't necessarily think it's quite what you portray it to be.

Just enjoy the story and even if you don't subscribe to it, at least try to UNDERSTAND the point that the show's writers are trying to make... Or are you too brainwashed to even do that???
Duped since birth

Sterling Heights, MI

#10 Dec 22, 2009
Leftatalbuquerque wrote:
Oh, John Lennon, where are you now?
The contortions we humans force ourselves into, rather than embrace the reality and truth of who and what we are.
Imagine.
One of the truly great songs of all time in its expression of humanity. Wouldn't the whole world be so much better off?

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#11 Dec 22, 2009
Homophobia today is totally irrational.Medical research has shown that many people of a given physical sex have a brain wired for a opposite sex.There is nothing wrong with this.It is probably more common than most suspect.The terms lesbian and gay are irrelevant.When two same-sex individuals form a relationship,it is still based upon opposite attraction;one will have a male orientation,and the other a female orientation.Society is looking at a normal and wholesome attraction through "a very narrow perspective."There is a relationship that requires further explanation.The female-female relationship,where both have strong female orientation,are among the strongest relationships.Male-female relationships,where both have strong female orientation are the best heterosexual unions for longevity.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#12 Dec 22, 2009
chizmarlan wrote:
Homophobia today is totally irrational.Medical research has shown that many people of a given physical sex have a brain wired for a opposite sex.There is nothing wrong with this.It is probably more common than most suspect.The terms lesbian and gay are irrelevant.When two same-sex individuals form a relationship,it is still based upon opposite attraction;one will have a male orientation,and the other a female orientation.Society is looking at a normal and wholesome attraction through "a very narrow perspective."There is a relationship that requires further explanation.The female-female relationship,where both have strong female orientation,are among the strongest relationships.Male-female relationships,where both have strong female orientation are the best heterosexual unions for longevity.
You are dealing in stereotypes. Two men together does not require that one of them have a "female orientation". Nor or any of your other stereotypes correct. And just what is a "female orientation" or "male orientation"? What are they comprised of?
Beautiful

Chicago, IL

#13 Dec 22, 2009
chizmarlan wrote:
The results of more small-minded brainwashing here. It would be laughable if it weren't so pathetic and that so many well-meaning but ill-informed people actually BELIEVE this! If this were the case all gay men would be male to female transsexuals and all lesbians would be female to male transsexuals. If you look at the real stats, transsexuals make up but a tiny minority of those identifying as gay or lesbian.

Speaking solely for myself I will not look for a "male" or "female" counterpart of the same sex when I form relationships. That's complete and utter rubbish. If you go beyond the "femme" stereotypes you see on television and movies, you'll actually observe that most gay men are masculine and are looking for masculine partners, and likewise most lesbians are feminine looking for feminine partners. At least that's what I've found.

And before you even start in on it, because I can see the direction your prejudice and stereotypes are leading, there are NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES in the hideous crime of child molestation between those identifying as gay or lesbian and those identifying as straight. Child molesters, like rapists, are criminals who are all about power over their victims. That's why straight male child molesters will abuse boys and girls equally. It's not about the sex at all.
Kog

Salt Lake City, UT

#14 Dec 22, 2009
Don't think that for a minute some Elders somewhere in the world are not getting their groove on in that no-frills apartment of theirs while "serving the Lord".
Done with BL

United States

#15 Jan 26, 2010
The creators of Big Love are gay so it is not surprising they are ramping up that aspect of the storyline after a few seasons. Too bad those story arcs are so forced and predictable the show is no longer watchable. This seems to be a recurring problem with many HBO originals, great 1st and maybe 2nd season, then right into the can (Deadwood, Rome and now Big Love).

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#16 Jan 26, 2010
Disagree completely with you "Done". It's a great show. One of the creators is also x-Mormon, so what's your point?
lance

Englewood, CO

#17 Jan 26, 2010
CHAS wrote:
Mormons deal with being gay, Mormon and married very well. They seem to be blind to the contradictions.
Lived in Utah too long.
utah is the armpit of our nation so I feel for ya bro
BlahBlahBlah

Spring, TX

#18 Feb 20, 2010
Kog wrote:
Don't think that for a minute some Elders somewhere in the world are not getting their groove on in that no-frills apartment of theirs while "serving the Lord".
Wouldn't Alby and his love interest be considered bisexual since they have a wife or wives (in Alby's case) and children but also like the one-on-one time in the not so secret apt. Alby has a wife that has enough sense to follow him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Love Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moscow clubs capitalize on lonely women starved... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Anonymous 1
News 'Hatfields & McCoys' Tom Berenger: 'They are a ... (May '12) Jul '15 Jonathan Damon Ha... 158
News HBO, Mormons square off over airing of sacred r... (Mar '09) Jul '13 lifeisshort 988
Sister Wives (Jul '11) Jul '11 Sister Wives Blog 1
News Casting Casey Anthony murder trial: Who should ... (Jul '11) Jul '11 kitty 3
News Farewell to 'Big Love' (Mar '11) Mar '11 Anonymous 1
News Keck's Exclusives: Big Love Finale Shockers (Feb '11) Feb '11 Kill Bill 1
More from around the web