Saturday Readers' Forum

Saturday Readers' Forum

There are 16 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from Sep 11, 2010, titled Saturday Readers' Forum. In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

I've followed and participated in the affordable housing debate for more than a decade.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

Since: Sep 08

Novato, CA

#1 Sep 11, 2010
Great letter Bob Silvestri !!!
Workers

Vallejo, CA

#2 Sep 11, 2010
Go ask the local employers, schools and police forces why it is so hard to recruit for positions, stop and look at the main arteries leading into Marin that show all our imported workers sitting in traffic jams.

It doesn't take a genius to figure things out. Or maybe it does.
Smug letter writer

Vallejo, CA

#3 Sep 11, 2010
Concerning the Marin Clean Energy meeting:

I think if you dig a little deeper and visit their offices you will discover that they use tap water and glasses for water service and that at this one meeting they used glass bottled water more for the public's convenience than theirs.

If you look closely, there were many reusable stainless steel water bottles in use by those at the table.

It pays to know the details before being so smug yourself. Gotcha politics looks very unflattering on you.
Pot Smoking Moronite

Shingle Springs, CA

#4 Sep 11, 2010
Workers wrote:
Go ask the local employers, schools and police forces why it is so hard to recruit for positions, stop and look at the main arteries leading into Marin that show all our imported workers sitting in traffic jams.
I would say those commuters chose not to live in a county filled with lycra clad elitists, illegals, and Jane Fonda liberals.

As for me, I don't miss any of it.
Miss you not

Vallejo, CA

#5 Sep 11, 2010
Pot Smoking Moronite wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say those commuters chose not to live in a county filled with lycra clad elitists, illegals, and Jane Fonda liberals.
And we certainly don't miss you.
Pot Smoking Moronite

Shingle Springs, CA

#6 Sep 11, 2010
Miss you not wrote:
<quoted text>
And we certainly don't miss you.
I rest my case.

“Coffee Not Tea”

Since: Jan 10

Marin County

#7 Sep 11, 2010
Workers wrote:
Just because one to two thousand dollar salaries are extended does not mean that the worker is "qualified". That argument does not hold water here, expecially with the state the county is in and the ongoing further waste to the taxpayers monies by the regular contracting of consultants. It is quite obvious that Marin doesn't attract "qualified" workers and throwing a lot of money at them doesn't make them so.

Sometimes I feel like I am Alice at the Mad Tea Party...

“Coffee Not Tea”

Marin County

#8 Sep 11, 2010
oscar_mike wrote:
Great letter Bob Silvestri !!!
Yes, Silvestri's letter was a good one that addressed some very important points in the affordable housing issue. Those who this housing is supposedly being built for are not being heard. This ABAG model does not benefit anyone, not the workforce, not the communities where it is being built, and not the extremely low income residents who cannot afford that level of "affordability".

Common sense considerations also need to be taken into regard. What fireman with a family of four living in a four bedroom three bath home with large yard in Sonoma county, would want to move his family to a condo-box in Marin? Not many. The other consideration relating to the low income workers who commute, is that the overall cost of living is much lower outside of the county... their dollars go farther in their communities outside of Marin. It isn't just housing that is not affordable in this county. The cost of living in general is very high in Marin. The very low income seniors and disabled also are not being served by this ABAG housing model, either. The costs for these units are based on a percentage of the Area Median Income (AMI) which in Marin County is very high. This precludes extremely low residents,seniors and disabled on fixed incomes, from the housing opportunities.

The problems with selling or leasing these finished projects also needs to be taken into regard. The Fireside in Mill Valley, the Millworks in Novato, and now the 82 unit condo monstrosity "33 North" being finished in Santa Venetia right across from the civic center. And many more on the way. The Millworks in Novato couldn't sell and went into leasing. The Fireside also had too many "affordable" units out of range to the lowest income.

AND WHO WANTS TO LIVE NEAR THE FREEWAY?

This ABAG model is completely out of touch and doesn't fit in with Marin County. It needs to be "bagged". The sooner the better. We need to stop this course before we have more of these ugly, empty condo complexes trashing up our communities benifiting not the community but the developers and construction workers.

“Coffee Not Tea”

Marin County

#9 Sep 11, 2010
Pot Smoking Moronite wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't miss it here, then why are you constantly frequenting these threads? If you are happy where you are now, why waste the time and energy focusing on Marin County? Don't you have better things to do in your own community?
Pot Smoking Moronite

Shingle Springs, CA

#10 Sep 11, 2010
In Marin wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't miss it here, then why are you constantly frequenting these threads? If you are happy where you are now, why waste the time and energy focusing on Marin County? Don't you have better things to do in your own community?
I never said I don't live in Moron County.

Are you familiar with a little thing called the 1st ammendment? Grab a chai tea, put down the odwalla and tofu, and educate your self.
Find the truth

Los Gatos, CA

#11 Sep 11, 2010
Contact: [email protected] to work on protecting comunity from the "affordable housing" trap.
Not my taxes

San Francisco, CA

#12 Sep 11, 2010
I will be in favor of densor and worker housing in Marin when THEY START DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THE ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!!!!!!

Since: Sep 08

Novato, CA

#13 Sep 11, 2010
In Marin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Silvestri's letter was a good one that addressed some very important points in the affordable housing issue. Those who this housing is supposedly being built for are not being heard. This ABAG model does not benefit anyone, not the workforce, not the communities where it is being built, and not the extremely low income residents who cannot afford that level of "affordability".
Common sense considerations also need to be taken into regard. What fireman with a family of four living in a four bedroom three bath home with large yard in Sonoma county, would want to move his family to a condo-box in Marin? Not many. The other consideration relating to the low income workers who commute, is that the overall cost of living is much lower outside of the county... their dollars go farther in their communities outside of Marin. It isn't just housing that is not affordable in this county. The cost of living in general is very high in Marin. The very low income seniors and disabled also are not being served by this ABAG housing model, either. The costs for these units are based on a percentage of the Area Median Income (AMI) which in Marin County is very high. This precludes extremely low residents,seniors and disabled on fixed incomes, from the housing opportunities.
The problems with selling or leasing these finished projects also needs to be taken into regard. The Fireside in Mill Valley, the Millworks in Novato, and now the 82 unit condo monstrosity "33 North" being finished in Santa Venetia right across from the civic center. And many more on the way. The Millworks in Novato couldn't sell and went into leasing. The Fireside also had too many "affordable" units out of range to the lowest income.
AND WHO WANTS TO LIVE NEAR THE FREEWAY?
This ABAG model is completely out of touch and doesn't fit in with Marin County. It needs to be "bagged". The sooner the better. We need to stop this course before we have more of these ugly, empty condo complexes trashing up our communities benifiting not the community but the developers and construction workers.
Good analysis...

“Coffee Not Tea”

Marin County

#14 Sep 11, 2010
oscar_mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Good analysis...
Anyone who has been keeping up with all that has been going on in the county can look at the broader perspective and ask themselves why this is being done. Why so much development of workforce housing? Why not divorce Marin from ABAG as it isn't a good method or model in Marin. The answer is quite simple. With the deteriorating infrastructure, with the unfunded pension fund, with the aging population, lower property values bringing in less tax monies, and gross waste of millions on the software system, consultants, etc, THE COUNTY NEEDS TO GENERATE A LARGER TAX BASE so is working on all of the issues and problems by consolidating them... The more workforce condos, the more property tax revenue. They sugar-coat it by saying it is to our benefit, but as Silvestri pointed out: Who from the sector of those being "benefitted" by this type of development has expressed a need for it? Nobody, because that is just who will benefit from it. Nobody outside of the developers, the construction workers and the county for more money for their folly and waste.

It looks like this is backfiring, though, as there has been great difficulty in selling not just the condos, but the concept. ABAG is not popular with Marin County residents.
Hire me

Novato, CA

#15 Sep 12, 2010
Not my taxes wrote:
I will be in favor of densor and worker housing in Marin when THEY START DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THE ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!!!!!!
Oh is other city's doing something i don't know about. This is a state wide problem and will continue until stupid people just like you vote someone new in.
Say No

Richmond, CA

#16 Sep 12, 2010
Re: Are High Salaries Necessary?

The vast number of public employees everywhere, at every level of the government are over-compensated and under worked. Government employees are greedy and self-serving. We have FAR TOO MANY public employees and politicians in the country who are nothing more than a drag on our society and our economy. There's is nothing good about a big government and a big government getting bigger. Government costs us! It doesn't make money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Becker Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ted Danson returns in new ABC sitcom (Jul '06) Sep '13 Taylor Smith 3
News Bend it like 'Becker' (Mar '06) Jul '13 Larry Jared 2
News Future of 'Damages' is still up in the air (Oct '07) Jan '12 Marcellina 13
News Lifting hearts through volunteering (Nov '10) Nov '10 Pam 1
News Holding Its Own: 100 Years Of Brassieres (May '10) Jun '10 Simply_Red 22
News Holding Its Own: 100 Years Of Brassieres (May '10) May '10 utduiyt 1
News Garcia mulls life after 'Lost' (Jan '10) Jan '10 Blaine 3
More from around the web