should I use xps or polyiso over plyw...

should I use xps or polyiso over plywood sheathing, under vinyl siding?

Posted in the Ask This Old House Forum

swede

Grafton, MA

#1 Jan 24, 2013
I have a 35 year old wood frame 78 foot ranch currently sheathed w/ half inch plywood and masonite siding covered with vinyl siding. I suspect that the masonite has gathered moisture over the years, as the south side of my house resembles a wash board in the summertime when the sun is on it all day long. In the summer, the house is very hot, in the winter, the house is cold. After I insure that I have no sheathing issues with rot or carpenter ants, I plan on installing either XPS or polyISO rigid exterior insulation under my new vinyl siding. My interior walls are insulated with paper faced fiberglass and covered with full plaster. Should I also install a vapor barrier to keep rain out? If I do this will I be causing a condensation problem under the siding?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ask This Old House Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Plaster repair Jul '17 SMC 1
Preventing mice from getting into house via the... (Jan '17) Jan '17 pamelasc1 1
Teal paint EVERYWHERE (Jan '17) Jan '17 Nfretwell85 1
News 'This Old House' brand gets new owner (Apr '16) Apr '16 Project 1
News The This Old House Hour (Apr '16) Apr '16 Gotan Project 1
News a TV show pays a "house call" to a Minneapolis ... (Apr '16) Apr '16 LEONARD COHEN 1
News TV to the rescue: 'Ask This Old House' pays a h... (Apr '16) Apr '16 LEONARD COHEN 1
More from around the web