stripping old walls


#1 Feb 20, 2011
We have an old victorian era house and have embarked on stripping off old wallpaper which had been painted over in the 1970s
Underneath the wallpaper we found two layers of sticky painted plaster - which is very difficult to shift. It is a sort of pink colour with a dark red gungey glue underneath.
Can you recommend a way of removing this stuff? We have used a steam stripper before with good results but nothing is shifting this stuff.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ask This Old House Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'This Old House' brand gets new owner Apr '16 Project 1
News The This Old House Hour Apr '16 Gotan Project 1
News a TV show pays a "house call" to a Minneapolis ... Apr '16 LEONARD COHEN 1
News TV to the rescue: 'Ask This Old House' pays a h... Apr '16 LEONARD COHEN 1
Old heater identification (Nov '15) Nov '15 Weiand 1
aluminum siding repair (Apr '13) Apr '15 calebhart54 2
winter 2015 (Mar '15) Mar '15 Sue P 1
More from around the web