Jackie Chan: Freedom may not work in China

There are 2 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Apr 19, 2009, titled Jackie Chan: Freedom may not work in China. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Action star Jackie Chan said today he's not sure if a free society is a good thing for China and that he's starting to think "we Chinese need to be controlled." Chan's comments drew applause from a predominantly Chinese audience of business leaders in China's southern island province of Hainan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

Bob

Paramount, CA

#1 Apr 19, 2009
What on earth does Jackie Chan know about government? Hey Mr. Chan - stick to making movies, you idiot, and let intelligent people handle issues of government..
TTIN

Bay City, MI

#2 May 4, 2009
I agree. Chan should stick to movie's.

Notice how all those business leaders applauded him. I thought business leaders were supposed to be all about capitalism and freedom. They're applauding because China isn't really communist anymore, it's capitalist and is only called communist because the only legal political party is called communist. People don't have any real freedom. The businesses love that. They can exploit the workers all they want, long hours with long wages, poor working conditions. They can neglect the environment and they can ignore consumer product safety. And they don't have to worry about being held accountable because the Chinese people can't vote a different party into power to make changes.

I have a feeling that if China ever did get real democracy the people would actually vote in a government that adds more economic restrictions, not less. Lenin was wrong about the whole "vanguard party" concept leading the masses to a classless society. You give a select group of people power they will use it for themselves. Real change will only come when the people have power, and are willing to use it. That is true in China, true in America, and true everywhere else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

America's Next Top Model Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Moroccoa s transgender dancer courts acceptance Dec '14 sarahomo 1
News Meet the 'True Beauty' Contestants - Six women,... (Dec '08) Apr '13 raj 14
Do you like the new forum of ANTM? (Apr '13) Apr '13 Marie60 1
Poll Who was the best winner of americas next top model (Mar '08) Dec '12 Clancy 172
News Tyra Banks announces 'America's Next Top Model'... (May '12) Oct '12 sunny0ne 2
News America's Next Top Model Cycle 19 Episode 2 Rec... (Sep '12) Sep '12 ANTM viwer 1
HOMOSEXUALITY Something really gone wrong! Ev... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Gay Lesbian 2
More from around the web