LGBT Groups Slam Dr. Oz's 'Ex-Gay' Therapy Episode

Dec 1, 2012 Full story: EDGE 19

Several prominent LGBT rights groups have criticized the Nov. 28 episode of "The Dr.

Full Story

“MARY HARTMAN, MARY HARTMAN”

Since: Nov 12

Avon, Co

#1 Dec 1, 2012
I don't watch this or any other TV doctor but there are many sides of speech that I'm okay with here and everyone should be okay with. I did not read more than the headline so I don't know what went on this show but I can say what should take place in shows like this especially if a doctor is a member of the AMA or APA because if a member, a doctor must go with science or lose membership and the scientific fact is humans sexual orientation CANNOT be changed, is natural, develops in the 4th month pregnancy, both the two main sexual orientations homosexual and heterosexual have in fact worked together to ensure the survival of the human race. Had we lacked one of those two out of three sexual orientations, there would be no humans posting here today so says Evolution and if you do not know why, get a science book out and LEARN.

As for a "show" on TV or Radio or Net talking about these things let so called ex gays and that BS in to tell the stories of how they were gay and now are hetero. That is fine. Science knows these people either lie to self or are simply bi-sexual. A hetero male can have gay sex but never turn gay and a gay male can have hetero sex and never turn hetero and that is a fact too. A bi sexual can actually enjoy sex with either gender. A-sexuality is not a pre-birth orientation but it is out there too and is fine. Pedophilia, attraction to animals and other things are not even orientations and no one is born with those things. Those are sexual attractions formed post birth and at this time do not show on an MRI of a brain.

Let each side tell their stories then bring on the MRI's and prove all the so called ex gays that are NOT bi-sexual and simply going in closets be outed by scans of brain since an MRI does in fact tell if a person is homosexual or heterosexual at six months old or 100 years old.

So long as these shows remind viewers that one side is NUTS and going against science, let them have their idiotic brainwashed speech from getting mixed up in religious cults and be known for the idiots they are!
hi hi

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Dec 2, 2012
RU Bloggers 4 Real wrote:
I see, gays only want their voodoo science to be promoted. Gay groups offer no evidence that conversion therapy is harmful and does not work, they still oppose it, but why? These so-called professionals are gay and this is like a rapist defending rape and saying that rape treatment is harmful.
Pickup, who is part of a suit to overturn California’s ban on the therapy for minors, believes that homosexuality is caused by sexual abuse. On the episode, Pickup claimed that there is substantial evidence that gay people have turned straight but he only referenced an ex-gay website that only has testimonials
So logic should dictate that if they are all so goddamn *sure* this "therapy" works, then there is NO problem,*ZERO*, with them going into courts of law to defend it.

It's so strange how they're not just shutting their big mouths and leaving the issue to the courts, they're all *complaining* about it now and crying like snotty infants because people who find it harmful are speaking up and are *glad as hell* to meet them in court and give them a showdown. If you don't like it, one would imagine you don't have to pay attention.

I can't WAIT for this stuff to play out in courts because the antigay are going to get annihilated; maybe if they popped their heads out of their gaping anuses and were HONEST about the fact that they can suspect this is what'll happen, we'd get the real truth for *ONCE* instead of all their snot-stuffed crying and their own actions, which approximate *RAPE* more than anything I can think of in the *UNIVERSE*.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#5 Dec 2, 2012
RU Bloggers 4 Real wrote:
I see, gays only want their voodoo science to be promoted. Gay groups offer no evidence that conversion therapy is harmful and does not work, they still oppose it, but why? These so-called professionals are gay and this is like a rapist defending rape and saying that rape treatment is harmful.
Pickup, who is part of a suit to overturn California’s ban on the therapy for minors, believes that homosexuality is caused by sexual abuse. On the episode, Pickup claimed that there is substantial evidence that gay people have turned straight but he only referenced an ex-gay website that only has testimonials
You are quite crazy, aren't you?

There is plenty of evidence that conversion "therapy" is harmful. There is zero evidence that abuse turns someone gay.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#6 Dec 2, 2012
American Medical Association: "opposes, the use of "reparative" or "conversion" therapy that is based upon the assumption that homosexuality per se is a mental disorder or based upon the a priori assumption that the patient should change his/her homosexual orientation"
AMA Policy Regarding Sexual Orientation [AMA]

American Counseling Association Ethics Committee: Clients may ask for a specific treatment from a counseling professional because they have heard about it from either their religious community or from popular culture. A counselor, however, only provides treatment that is scientifically indicated to be effective or has a theoretical framework supported by the profession. Otherwise, counselors inform clients that the treatment is "unproven" or "developing" and provide an explanation of the "potential risks and ethical considerations of using such techniques/procedures and take steps to protect clients from possible harm" (Standard C.6.e., "Scientific Bases for Treatment Modalities").

Considering all the above deliberation, the ACA Ethics Committee strongly suggests that ethical professional counselors do not refer clients to someone who engages in conversion therapy or, if they do, to proceed cautiously only when they are certain that the referral counselor fully informs clients of the unproven nature of the treatment and the potential risks and takes steps to minimize harm to clients (also see Standard A.2.b., "Types of Information Needed"). This information also must be included in written informed consent material by those counselors who offer conversion therapy despite ACA's position and the Ethics Committee's statement in opposition to the treatment. To do otherwise violates the spirit and specifics of the ACA Code of Ethics.
Exploring ethical issues related to conversion or reparative therapy [ACA]

AOL

#7 Dec 2, 2012
American Academy of Pediatrics: The terms reparative therapy and sexual orientation conversion therapy refer to counseling and psychotherapy aimed at eliminating or suppressing homosexuality. The most important fact about these “therapies” is that they are based on a view of homosexuality that has been rejected by all the major mental health professions. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders,6 published by the American Psychiatric Association, which defines the standards of the field, does not include homosexuality. All other major health professional organizations have supported the American Psychiatric Association in its declassification of homosexuality as a mental disorder in 1973. Thus, the idea that homosexuality is a mental disorder or that the emergence of same-sex attraction and orientation
among some adolescents is in any way abnormal or mentally unhealthy has no support among any mainstream health and mental health professional organizations.

The idea that homosexuality is a mental disorder or that the emergence of same-sex attraction and orientation among some adolescents is in any way abnormal or mentally unhealthy has no support among any mainstream health and mental health professional organizations.

Despite the general consensus of major medical, health, and mental health professions that both heterosexuality and homosexuality are normal expressions of human sexuality, efforts to change sexual orientation through therapy have been adopted by some political and religious organizations and aggressively promoted to the public. However, such efforts have serious potential to harm young people because they present the view that the sexual orientation of lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth is a mental illness or disorder, and they often frame the inability to change one’s sexual orientation as a personal and moral failure.

Because of the aggressive promotion of efforts to change sexual orientation through therapy, a number of medical, health, and mental health professional organizations have issued public statements about the dangers of this approach. The American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Counseling Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the American School Counselor Association, the National Association of School Psychologists, and the National Association of Social Workers, together representing more than 480,000 mental health professionals, have all taken the position that homosexuality is not a mental disorder and thus is not something that needs to or can be “cured.”

The American Academy of Pediatrics advises youth that counseling may be helpful for you if you feel confused about your sexual identity. Avoid any treatments that claim to be able to change a person’s sexual orientation, or treatment ideas that see homosexuality as a sickness.
Just the Facts About Sexual Orientation and Youth [APP]

AOL

#10 Dec 2, 2012
NO peer reviewed study shows this "therapy" effective. The evidence is they are harmful. Because they rely on shame and guilt, they often lead to depresssion and self destructive behavior including high risk sex, drug abuse, and suicide.

"Contrary to claims of sexual orientation change advocates and practitioners, there is insufficient evidence to support the use of psychological interventions to change sexual orientation," said Judith M. Glassgold, PsyD, chair of the task force. "Scientifically rigorous older studies in this area found that sexual orientation was unlikely to change due to efforts designed for this purpose. Contrary to the claims of SOCE practitioners and advocates, recent research studies do not provide evidence of sexual orientation change as the research methods are inadequate to determine the effectiveness of these interventions." Glassgold added: "At most, certain studies suggested that some individuals learned how to ignore or not act on their homosexual attractions. Yet, these studies did not indicate for whom this was possible, how long it lasted or its long-term mental health effects. Also, this result was much less likely to be true for people who started out only attracted to people of the same sex."

Based on this review, the task force recommended that mental health professionals avoid misrepresenting the efficacy of sexual orientation change efforts when providing assistance to people distressed about their own or others' sexual orientation.
Insufficient Evidence that Sexual Orientation Change Efforts Work, Says [American Psychological Association]
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#11 Dec 2, 2012
Caleb wrote:
Every peer reviewed scientific study on the subject proves that the therapy is effective, and at least one study indicates that most who receive the therapy are very grateful for it.
Why not let people make up their own minds rather than trying to force a hate based political agenda on others?
A recent APA President advocates patient self determination in this matter despite the objections of that organization's politically active radical homosexual committee.
There are ZERO peer reviewed studies that show conversion therapy is effective. You are nothing but a pathetic LIAR and phony.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#12 Dec 3, 2012
Caleb wrote:
Every peer reviewed scientific study on the subject proves that the therapy is effective, and at least one study indicates that most who receive the therapy are very grateful for it.
Why not let people make up their own minds rather than trying to force a hate based political agenda on others?
A recent APA President advocates patient self determination in this matter despite the objections of that organization's politically active radical homosexual committee.
Every time you use a fake name, an angel weeps, DAVID MOORE of PEKIN, ILLINOIS.

Palm Springs, California

#13 Dec 3, 2012
Wally from Washington wrote:
<quoted text>Excellent post, thanks for sharing.
Oh, look, another unregistered false person making false nice nice to another liar. If it is not the same person praising his own nonsense.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

#14 Dec 3, 2012
Caleb wrote:
Every peer reviewed scientific study on the subject proves that the therapy is effective,.....
Now, David, you can't go back to this one - you know it's just not true. NO peer-reviewed study shows anything remotely beneficial about such "treatments".

Lying just makes you look sillier.
hi hi

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Dec 3, 2012
NoQ wrote:
Dr. Oz is a hero.
And your ilk wonder why the United States has become a "shithole" -- because you are literally PROUD to type something like this, on this basis, concerning this subject.

Yet you turn around, right on this board, and when people applaud what *you* hate in the same manner, you scream at them.

Hmmmm, wonder why they're not paying the sllllightest attention, and will continue to behave as they wish no matter what you say or do. Hmmmmmmm. That's a puzzler.
hi hi

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Dec 4, 2012
I skipped your response; I'm not reading it. I have no time for vomit.
TheTroll Stopper

Roanoke, VA

#19 Dec 4, 2012
Caleb aka David Moore the Closet Case Pekin Troll wrote:
Every peer reviewed scientific study on yap yap yap blah blah blah...
You keep saying that over and over and over again, David, but you've never -- not even once -- offered up so much as a smidgen of proof (and NARTH doesn't count as proof).

Just because you're still bitter that your ex-wife won't let you anywhere near your own kids doesn't mean you should take it out on the rest of us. No wonder you're divorced. LOLAY!
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#20 Dec 4, 2012
NoQ wrote:
Dr. Oz is a hero.
You didn't even read the article, did you?

Palm Springs, California

#22 Dec 4, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't even read the article, did you?
He never does, glances at the headline and if the word "gay" is anywhere in it, he is off and running, sometimes not even the least bit on point.

Gotta run. Driving up to Los Angeles this morning to attend the annual Auto Show at the Convention Center. I look forward to that like I do my birthday, or Disneyland! I've picked out my last 4 cars from ones I liked at the past Auto Shows.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#23 Dec 4, 2012
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>He never does, glances at the headline and if the word "gay" is anywhere in it, he is off and running, sometimes not even the least bit on point.
Gotta run. Driving up to Los Angeles this morning to attend the annual Auto Show at the Convention Center. I look forward to that like I do my birthday, or Disneyland! I've picked out my last 4 cars from ones I liked at the past Auto Shows.
Coolness! Enjoy.
SLIF

Scarborough, Canada

#24 Dec 4, 2012
Who wants to be portrayed like these stright people on tv talk shows?Pimp,rapist,wife-beater, child molester,unplanned pregnancy?

“MARY HARTMAN, MARY HARTMAN”

Since: Nov 12

Avon, Co

#28 Dec 6, 2012
I'm sure the doctor on TV didn't endorse this so called treatment. I really think he likely allowed different opinions to be stated. After all, it's not like those saying there is a cure for a given sexual orientation were using derogatory words such as hate speech and what ratings would it bring in if only one side showed up? Keep in mind TV and Radio deals in ratings.

I don't know if the doctor is a member of AMA and or APA but I do know, if a doctor is a member such as those in my own family and said a person could be "cured" of homosexuality or heterosexuality, they would lose membership. Real science proves sexual orientation forms in 4th month pregnancy, likely comes from our mother's side no matter which orientation we are and if she has an aunt, it has more to do with her aunt than her mother genetically.

Since there is no gene found out, they are going by tons of studies and research of people of both main sexual orientations, their parents, grandparents and aunts and uncles to come to this conclusion. The reason no gene is being announced from what we are told is it is likely three genes as well as hormonal factors in the woman at the time thus; it would be genetic for sure, natural, normal and unchangeable.

They also use Evolutionary research now and some studies, they blend the two because they have found if just one; homosexuality or heterosexuality had not existed, we would not have continued as a human race since each sexual orientation does or has done something important for the survival of the human race or continuation of it. The two sexual orientations work well together in Evolution and Evolution is not bigoted against one or the other like people might be. It's not uptight about it either like some people are.

There was also a very real study of men who said they were heterosexual. All were dating or married to the opposite sex and under 35, I think. They broke them down into two groups. One group of men had no problems with gay men and the other group did. The test was like a lie detector with a gadget attached to you know where and mild department store pics shown to eventually naked males and then males having sex. Those who had a problem with homosexuality got aroused more than those who had no problem with it yet no interest in it. They concluded deep seated homosexual tendency's through that test of homophobic males and then there are MRI's of brain which in fact proved the gay brain in one area is identical to hetero female brain while hetero male brain is different in that area and later, they did scans of six month old kids with same results to exclude environmental factors 100%.

Free speech we need, different opinions we need but we also need to live and let live imo and tend to our own problems before trying to tend to what we think are problems of others.

Most heterosexual males these days have no problems with gay males. They can even be great friends but there is not going to be sex of course between them. That would be bi-sexuality or if a man is young and gone without a woman a long time like in prison or something and then that doesn't make him homosexual. Sex itself doesn't make a person have a different sexual orientation as in having sex. Many straight guys experiment but means nothing at all other than they are human.
hi hi

Philadelphia, PA

#29 Dec 6, 2012
My "skipped your response" comment was made to a post of that antigay individual which was apparently removed from the board. It must have been bad, then.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Television Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dog the Bounty Hunter's Daughter Lyssa Chapman ... (Jan '12) 34 min Joe Balls 56
Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives 1 hr eJohn 2
We Need More Gay Sex on TV 3 hr Eaddae 79
Are ghosts real? (Dec '07) 3 hr Maxxx Payne 169
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr Pearl Jam 305,665
Response to Bill O'Reilly: Jesus Didn't Start a... 10 hr rabbee yehoshooah... 313
Morgan James Covers Demi Lovato's 'Really Don't... 11 hr DEMI Lovato 1
•••
•••

Television People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••