Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32007 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#20180 Feb 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is more likely to be true? His opinion that he saw God and angels? Many of the notable and not notable ones through out the centuries have claimed to have seen God and or angels. Soldiers on the battle fields have claimed to seen angels in the midst of fighting. Joan of Arc is said to have had her vision from the Lord. Paul had his vision of the Lord. People having life after death experiences have claimed to have seen God and angels and dead relatives.
I didn't see them go running to start a new church, and then use it to cheat on his wife, steal from the members, and screw the members wives.

Marysville, CA

#20181 Feb 15, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again proving you learned absolutely nothing in your 30 years as a Mormon about Mormons.
He was jailed for "riot". But he was essentially killed for his religious beliefs, not for having a printing press destroyed, fricking get real lol..
As usual, you believe whatever fairytale you want to make up. He was arrested for destroying a printing press. But violating Constitutional law was hardly the least of his crimes.

Marysville, CA

#20182 Feb 15, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
What was said was they practiced polygamy for 4,000.
Your 'ninja anti-key copy paste skills' then your responding to every post you disagree with... except the posts you can't come up with something to say about them.
You do have a problem with people posting the evidence to back what we are saying. That isn't making us wrong, it is only making you blind.
Stop whining.

Marysville, CA

#20183 Feb 15, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know what Egypt's agenda is?
Is he one of your atheist associates?
Are you posting under Egypt as a double?
I'm not atheist. And I don't know what beliefs Egypt holds.
Paranoia will destroy ya.

Marysville, CA

#20184 Feb 15, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text> You must have missed the Sunday when they taught Love one another a Jesus loves you.
When a person can't even get the sex of a person right, it's sad. I understand his anger, I'm challenging his core beliefs. So he isn't hurting my feelings. I use to be that angry as a member.

Marysville, CA

#20185 Feb 15, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Mary was a virgin before and after God "impregnated"/ overshadowed her and she became pregnant.(MORE of your 'ninja anti-key' word TWISTING games 'trying' to produce opinion as evidence')
Not according to the LDS church:
“And Christ was born into the world as the literal Son of this Holy Being; he was born in the same personal, real, and literal sense that any mortal son is born to a mortal father. There is nothing figurative about his paternity; he was begotten, conceived and born in the normal and natural course of events,...Christ is the Son of Man, meaning that his Father (the Eternal God!) is a Holy Man.” Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 1966, p. 742

"Now, we are told in scriptures that Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of God in the flesh. Well, now for the benefit of the older ones, how are children begotten? I answer just as Jesus Christ was begotten of his father ... Jesus is the only person who had our Heavenly Father as the father of his body." Prophet Joseph F. Smith, Family Home Evening Manual, 1972, pp.125,126

“as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood - was begotten of His Father, as we were of our fathers" (Ibid., vol. 8, p. 115) President Ezra Taft Benson

"The birth of the Savior was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action.(Adam) He partook of flesh and blood - was begotten of his Father, as we were of our fathers." Journal of Discourses, Brigham Young, 8:115
2) Adam and Eve were taught about 'commandments and all things' since the very beginning... thus, I am to come to understand the knowledge of the God, commandments, "the gospel",
- meaning "CHRISTIANITY" was here since then... the very beginning.
GET IT?
Your argument has no credibility.
If true, why did Jesus change so many of the laws when he came?

Marysville, CA

#20186 Feb 15, 2013
Care Enough To Google It wrote:
"Brigham Young, the second prophet of the Mormon Church, said that the birth of Jesus was "the result of natural action" (Journal of discourses, volume 8, page 115). He also said, "When the time came that His first-born, the Saviour, should come into the world and take a tabernacle, the Father came Himself and favoured that spirit with a tabernacle instead of letting any other man do it," (Journal of Discourses, vol. 4, p. 218). In light of this, how was Jesus born of the Virgin Mary?"
You still don't understand the FATHER made a woman PREGNANT and she gave birth to a SON who was the infant/boy/man JESUS, and that the FATHER did this causation of a pregnancy in a woman without sexual activity.
You're not in the 20th century where people have been creating natural children without sexual activity for more than a hundred years.
If you don't believe that FATHER could overshadow a WOMAN and caused a PREGNANCY creating a MAN then that's your problem. Everyone knows what the scriptural story is but you.
Brigham Young clearly stated "the result of natural action" not "natural children". Words mean something, and even today, there is only one "natural action" that creates children. That is why all the other ways are called "artificial."
Failed.
Care Enough To Google It

Yuba City, CA

#20187 Feb 15, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Brigham Young clearly stated "the result of natural action" not "natural children". Words mean something, and even today, there is only one "natural action" that creates children. That is why all the other ways are called "artificial."
Failed.
A frantic resort to semantics doesn't erase the definition of the words father, son, mother, pregnant, conceive, and virgin.

The Father made a woman pregnant and she remained a virgin.

You'll deal with it and nobody cares if you're a scoffing mocker like the people who would have told Joseph the same thing you're saying: there's no way a woman got pregnant without sex.
Care Enough To Google It

Yuba City, CA

#20188 Feb 15, 2013
She did, and it burns you up. LoLoLoLoL!

You're saying precisely what the people said who Joseph had to hide the pregnancy of Mary from!! What sport!

What a ignorant pervert & general purpose gospel story hillbilly. You and Egypt are a pair of pro-Sodomite scoffers matched in hell! LoL!
Care Enough To Google It

Yuba City, CA

#20189 Feb 15, 2013
From Scoffing Mocker University, Wikipedia:

"Natural cycle In-Vitro-Fertilization"

"IVF can be performed by collecting a naturally selected egg from woman’s natural menstrual cycle without the use of any drugs.

IT IS KNOWN as NATURAL cycle IVF.

The first test tube baby Louise Brown was born following NATURAL cycle IVF. "
==========

the NAME of the IN VITRO PROCESS most like that described in the Bible is *NATURAL IN VITRO*

==========
In Vitro Fertilization: The NATURAL Way
By Jacques Kadoch, MD
Fall 2005

There has long been a demand for an IVF technique that works on a woman’s natural cycle,

***without ovarian stimulation***.
----------
The answer is NATURAL cycle IVF.
----------

Increasing numbers of infertile couples are attracted to this alternative protocol, which seems to come closer to
the ideal IVF scenario:
to conceive an embryo with high implantation potential at the start of a single pregnancy – but with minimal medical intervention.

----------
History
Twenty-five years ago, Edwards and Steptoe achieved the first human pregnancy through IVF

*after transferring an embryo from a NATURAL cycle.*

*** In these early years, doctors had to depend entirely on the cycle’s NATURAL timing.

This meant that oocyte retrieval

***often took place in the middle of the night***

***under general anesthetic***

and required a laparoscopy.
----------
Note two of the above are mentioned SPECIFICALLY in the BIBLE DESCRIPTION of the CONCEPTION
of Jesus Christ
by his MOTHER
& FATHER.
----------
More ON WHY THIS IN VITRO is REFERRED TO as

"THE NATURAL WAY"

" With natural cycle IVF the treatment cycle relies on the spontaneous development of one follicle only and therefore the aspiration of only one egg from the follicle

(it is possible however that the cycle can have more than one egg or no eggs).

There is nothing new about natural cycle IVF, in fact Louise Brown, the world’s first ‘test-tube baby' was conceived using this method in 1978."
----------

So
of ALL the METHODS

of IN VITRO there is ONE type called

"THE NATURAL WAY"

That's often used for older fathers who have wives who are young, when the father already has children but wants one with the mother,

that involves the woman being in a deep sleep,

that involves doing the procedure late at night,

and involves fertilization of ONE egg produced.

Yeah words mean something.

The very method MOST LIKE that

described IN the BIBLE has a SPECIFIC
MEDICAL

NAME:

"NATURAL"

in vitro fertilization.

We told you it would be natural and it would be virgin.

You told us that's impossible.

Then again you also told us the Jews weren't polygamous for 4,000 years.

So yeah words mean something and it turns out the METHOD NAMED by MEDICAL SCIENCE as "THE NATURAL method"

is the one described near IDENTICALLY in the Bible.

But you insist that

God the FATHER
isn't the FATHER.

That Mary the MOTHER
didn't get IMPREGNATED
by the FATHER
of her SON
Jesus Christ.

By the NATURAL in vitro method.
Care Enough To Google It

Yuba City, CA

#20190 Feb 15, 2013
Theologians didn't name it "The NATURAL way."

MEDICAL SCIENCE named it "The NATURAL way."

So yeah stupid, words mean something.

This time as pretty much all the time they mean you're proven full of crap with the offhand ease of taking candy from one of Satan's many, perverted, retarded children.
Care Enough To Google It

Yuba City, CA

#20191 Feb 15, 2013
Egypt's still shaking his head after finding out Jews practiced polygamy for 4,000 years.
concerned in Eygpt

Aberdeen, UK

#20193 Feb 15, 2013
Egypt's still shaking his head after finding out Jews practiced polygamy for 4,000 years.
I am about to use a word in the way it was truly meant to be used.

YOU are and Idiot.

I never said Jews did not practice Polygamy.

I know they did
I know some stole
I know some set up astar poles and had false Idols and bowed down to graven images.

And like Polygamy God never instructed them to do these things, nor did any of his prophets not once INCLUDING polygamy. In fact God commands us to do the opposite.

So if we are to follow your LDS illogical irrational thought process because Jews did it we can do it then we can murder commit Idolatry, steal, cheat, lie

So again I post in the truest meaning of the words definition,

YOU are and Idiot.
Simply

United States

#20194 Feb 15, 2013
Polygamy was nothing more but disgusting lust....why can't mormons see that?

1 Tim.3:2 If a man desire an office of a bishop he MUST be the husband of ONE WIFE. There it is a command.

This is for mormons. If polygamy is to be practiced in the future, how would ur wives feel about it?
Simply

United States

#20195 Feb 15, 2013
by Loren Franck

The Bible predicts a dreadful fate for liars. For instance, while banished on the island of Patmos, the Apostle John saw that "all liars shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death" (Revelation 21:8). Similarly, the beloved disciple writes, liars are doomed to an eternity outside of God's presence (Revelation 22:15). Because Satan is the father of lies (John 8:44), lying is extremely serious sin.

As a full-time Mormon missionary from 1975 to 1977, I lied for the church countless times. Like my colleagues in the South Dakota-Rapid City Mission, which served the Dakotas and adjacent areas, I spoke truthfully about my background, but touted many Mormon teachings that contradict the Bible. After my mission ended, however, I examined these doctrines more closely. The harder I tried to reconcile the contradictions, the more evident they became. So, after extensive prayer and study, I resigned my church membership in 1984. Cheated and betrayed, I lacked spiritual life for the next 17 years. But God, knowing those who are His (John 10:14; 2 Timothy 2:19), drew me to Christ (John 6:44) and saved me in 2001. My spiritual emptiness was replaced by the abundant life only the Savior can give (John 10:10). And now, like millions of Christians worldwide, I have everlasting life through my faith in Him (John 3:36; 6:47).

I can't remember all of my missionary lies. Some were small, others grandiose, but all were false and misleading. Here are ten I'll never forget.

1. We're Not Trying to Convert You

Of all my lies, this was the most frequent. I learned it well while in Winnipeg, Manitoba, which was my first assignment. A standard door-to-door proselyting pitch began with, "We represent The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." Interrupting, many people said they had their own religion. "Oh, we're not trying to convert you," I responded. "We're sharing a message for all faiths."

But Mormon missionaries have one overriding goal, and that's to bring converts into the church. Clearly, this was the purpose of my mission. I didn't trade the Southern California sunshine for the Dakota snow merely to build interfaith relations. My calling was to teach the church-approved missionary lessons and then baptize the people I taught.

2. The Bible is Insufficient

According to their eighth Article of Faith, Mormons accept the Bible as the word of God only when it's translated correctly. How convenient for a missionary. When a non-Mormon's interpretation of scripture differed from mine, I frequently blamed faulty Bible translation. And since I believed the Bible was missing "many plain and precious things," as the Book of Mormon claims in 1 Nephi 13:28-29, I urged prospective converts not to trust it completely.

And yet, Mormon proof texts had few translation problems. Throughout my mission, I used only those Bible verses that steered prospects away from their church and toward Mormonism. But what kind of Christian believes that an all-knowing, all-powerful and all-loving God gave mankind an inadequate version of His word. Actually, the Bible is more than sufficient. With its 66 books, 1,189 chapters and nearly 740,000 words, it's the divine road map to eternal life through Jesus Christ.
Simply

United States

#20196 Feb 15, 2013
Cont'.

3. We're the Only True Christians

For decades, the Mormon Church has tried to blend with mainstream Christianity. Accordingly, during my mission a quarter-century ago, I worked hard to convince prospects that Mormons believe in the biblical Jesus. But Paul warned of deceivers who would lure Christians away from "the simplicity that is in Christ." These false teachers preached "another Jesus" and "another gospel" (2 Corinthians 11: 3-4) and were accursed (see Galatians 1:8-9). How interesting that Paul also cautions against false apostles, such as those in the Mormon Church (2 Corinthians 11:13-14).

So which Jesus and gospel do Mormons preach? While a missionary, I taught that Christ was the firstborn spirit child of the Father in a premortal life.(The remainder of humanity was born as spirits later in this "pre-existence.") But I didn't tell prospects this was a literal birth, the result of literal fathering, as Mormon prophets and apostles have claimed. If asked, I taught that the devil was born as one of God's noble spirit sons during the pre-existence, but had rebelled and started a war in heaven.

Consistent with Mormon doctrine, then, Christ and Satan are spirit brothers. But the Bible teaches that Christ is God (Isaiah 7:14; 9:6; John 1:1), that He has always been God (Psalm 90:2), and that He always will be God (Hebrews 13:8). Born into mortality some 2,000 years ago, Jesus is "God... manifest in the flesh" (1 Timothy 3:16). He is far grander and holier than "our Elder Brother," as Mormons dub Him. Jesus and Satan aren't spirit brothers, and true Christians don't believe such blasphemy.

Marysville, CA

#20197 Feb 15, 2013
Theologians didn't name it "The NATURAL way."
MEDICAL SCIENCE named it "The NATURAL way."
So yeah stupid, words mean something.
This time as pretty much all the time they mean you're proven full of crap with the offhand ease of taking candy from one of Satan's many, perverted, retarded children.
The Theologians call the birth of Jesus a "miracle." Brigham Young and the rest of the LDS leaders tried to turn it into a cheap Saturday night action. Mary could be defined as a "virgin" if she had to spread her legs for God.

Marysville, CA

#20198 Feb 15, 2013
could not*
Simply

Ballwin, MO

#20200 Feb 15, 2013
Cont'

5. We Have a Living Prophet

Whether in wintry Winnipeg or the balmy Black Hills of Rapid City, I criticized Christians because their church lacked a living prophet. Mormons claim the true church must have one. My favorite Bible proof text to back this claim was Amos 3:7, which reads, "Surely, the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets."

When prospective converts remained skeptical of living prophets, I quoted Ephesians 4:11-14, which apparently requires living apostles and prophets until believers unify in the faith and understand Christ completely. However, writing in the past tense, Paul is actually referring to apostles and prophets of Jesus' day. Otherwise, verse 11 would read that the Lord "is giving" or "will give" apostles and prophets. Of course, God did reveal His will through Old Testament prophets, as Amos 3:7 affirms. But for the last 2,000 years, He has spoken to believers through Christ (Hebrews 1:1-2).

The truth about Mormonism's living prophets is further illuminated in Deuteronomy 18:22. "When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord," the scripture reads, "if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him." Isaiah 8:20 contains a similar warning: "To the law and the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them."

False prophets who led ancient Israel astray received the death penalty (Deuteronomy 13:1-5; 18:20), and all who profess to be living prophets should consider the consequences. Mormon prophets might appear grandfatherly and sincere, but they're not God's living oracles. Since the Mormon Church was founded in 1830, its prophets have uttered a striking number of false prophecies.
Care Enough To Google It

Yuba City, CA

#20201 Feb 15, 2013
From Scoffing Mocker University, Wikipedia:

"Natural cycle In-Vitro-Fertilization"

"IVF can be performed by collecting a naturally selected egg from woman’s natural menstrual cycle without the use of any drugs.

IT IS KNOWN as NATURAL cycle IVF.

The first test tube baby Louise Brown was born following NATURAL cycle IVF. "
==========

the NAME of the IN VITRO PROCESS most like that described in the Bible is *NATURAL IN VITRO*

==========
In Vitro Fertilization: The NATURAL Way
By Jacques Kadoch, MD
Fall 2005

There has long been a demand for an IVF technique that works on a woman’s natural cycle,

***without ovarian stimulation***.
----------
The answer is NATURAL cycle IVF.
----------

Increasing numbers of infertile couples are attracted to this alternative protocol, which seems to come closer to
the ideal IVF scenario:
to conceive an embryo with high implantation potential at the start of a single pregnancy – but with minimal medical intervention.

----------
History
Twenty-five years ago, Edwards and Steptoe achieved the first human pregnancy through IVF

*after transferring an embryo from a NATURAL cycle.*

*** In these early years, doctors had to depend entirely on the cycle’s NATURAL timing.

This meant that oocyte retrieval

***often took place in the middle of the night***

***under general anesthetic***

and required a laparoscopy.
----------
Note two of the above are mentioned SPECIFICALLY in the BIBLE DESCRIPTION of the CONCEPTION
of Jesus Christ
by his MOTHER
& FATHER.
----------
More ON WHY THIS IN VITRO is REFERRED TO as

"THE NATURAL WAY"

" With natural cycle IVF the treatment cycle relies on the spontaneous development of one follicle only and therefore the aspiration of only one egg from the follicle

(it is possible however that the cycle can have more than one egg or no eggs).

There is nothing new about natural cycle IVF, in fact Louise Brown, the world’s first ‘test-tube baby' was conceived using this method in 1978."
----------

So
of ALL the METHODS

of IN VITRO there is ONE type called

"THE NATURAL WAY"

That's often used for older fathers who have wives who are young, when the father already has children but wants one with the mother,

that involves the woman being in a deep sleep,

that involves doing the procedure late at night,

and involves fertilization of ONE egg produced.

Yeah words mean something.

The very method MOST LIKE that

described IN the BIBLE has a SPECIFIC
MEDICAL

NAME:

"NATURAL"

in vitro fertilization.

We told you it would be natural and it would be virgin.

You told us that's impossible.

Then again you also told us the Jews weren't polygamous for 4,000 years.

So yeah words mean something and it turns out the METHOD NAMED by MEDICAL SCIENCE as "THE NATURAL method"

is the one described near IDENTICALLY in the Bible.

But you insist that

God the FATHER
isn't the FATHER.

That Mary the MOTHER
didn't get IMPREGNATED
by the FATHER
of her SON
Jesus Christ.

By the NATURAL in vitro method.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Television Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Wife Swap' brings new reality to King George f... (Apr '09) 20 min RRS14 155
News American Pickers Find Treasures in Little Falls... 1 hr I Like Mike 2
News Fear the Walking Dead's Police Brutality 2 hr Freebird USA 1
News Donald Trump appearing on Jimmy Fallon show 9 hr Asian Guy 1
News Bill Cosby: Consider his social message, not th... 11 hr Allie Baba 4
News Minnesotans advance on 'America's Got Talent,' ... 13 hr Retired Promoter 1
News News Anchor Calls Hamster Toy 'Insulting' 14 hr realitytv 1
More from around the web