Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CNN

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Comments
18,881 - 18,900 of 32,001 Comments Last updated Friday Jul 25

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

The Watcher wrote:
And I have read the historical trials of the mormons. In fact I have read the whole story including the parts omitted by your masters in Salt Lake City which helps explain why they were persecuted in the first place. Read it for yourself:
I'll call you a liar. You haven't "..read the historical trials of the Mormons". You may have read this or that but you haven't read them all as you just implied you did. And you claim you don't lie?
Well tell me this if you know so much you should have an answer without pasting anything from the web.
Smith was being held in jail in one particular instance. He was facing several charges. One of the non-Mormons who had been through all the previous events Smith was being accused of having done, he stated in writing after wards that Smith was innocent of all charges. Who was he and what did he do for Smith while Smith was in custody?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

Judged:

The Watcher wrote:
And talking about the constitution, why don't we discuss your master's teachings on a view held by Joseph Smith on a form of theocracy called theodemocracy?
Need more evidence of your vile insulting derogatory statements????
"why don't we discuss your master's teachings.."
In the above you have called the poster a slave. You implied mental stupidity that allowed themselves to become a slave. You disrespected them as much as you had disrespected a black African that was a slave, or a native American used for slavery. And you lie over and over claiming you don't make vile nasty remarks???? YOU'RE A LIAR.
allforjesus

Seymour, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2013

sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...
That is an extremely challenging argument you make there. How much of the Church do you know about? Where do you learn it from?
Did someone tell you?
its really not funny. I've studied many religions and my family member was an ex Mormon, they told me what happened to them after they left, and while they were still in lds and converting to christainity what he seen,

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

allforjesus wrote:
<quoted text> its really not funny. I've studied many religions and my family member was an ex Mormon, they told me what happened to them after they left, and while they were still in lds and converting to christainity what he seen,
IDK what happened for your family member to be an ex member... but my experiences are what I put into them. The members are not perfect, their purpose is to hopefully be working towards perfectness.
I know for myself... I studied world religions in college, I went to many different sects, and I seen plenty... However, I have a true testimony is Jesus Christ, the Bible, the Book of Mormon (which is about the experiences the Jews that left Jerusalem to come to America in ~600 B.C.), and in Joseph Smith who was a true prophet. I have a strong testimony that a a young boy with no education could translate this book without divine assistance from Father above (because it was not written in a language that no other had due to it being a mixture of Hebrew and Egyptian Hieroglyphs, the space the Nephites had to write on was limited so they had to compress the language-making it unique/and that language was a lost language by 1829). I have a true testimony that even though members may be wrong the Church is true, and always will be.

“Protest / support the marchers”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I understand, the only babies that are be adopted to gay men are the Aids infected ones. The last baby anybody wants. If true, I don't have a problem with that. Child molestation is a problem with all groups, not just homosexuals. More and more women are being caught molesting boys also. Look at the raise of female teachers being caught having sex with their students.
No, I know of healthy babies being adopted by gays, and in one case a parent had been molested. I think many people are gay because of molestation and abuse. I believe that often affects families for generations, and am vehemently against using children in social experiments, not only because children pay the price, but that most parents are too stupid to learn from mistakes and change their own behaviors.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>Why should gay men not be allowed to adopt children??? Are you kidding me? You make it sound as though just because you are a gay male you are a child molester. You are freaking sick.
See previous post.
First of all, I don't think gays should be adopting children of the opposite sex. Adopted kids have enough to deal with.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

What's sick is putting the desires of adults before the NEEDS of children.
YOU sound like an emotionally retarded over-grown child, saying 'me-me-me.
01imjustsayin@gm ail.com

Mobile, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

I used to think the Elders who would come out to our house were pretty cool. We'd sit there and talk about the Bible and all. Until one day they dropped the whole Joseph Smith bomb on us. Yeah. That was the last day the Elders came out to visit.
mormons hmmm

Bayonne, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

fedupwiththemess wrote:
Mormons believe in a prophet that claims to follow GOD. Why believe in a man when JESUS is all you need? This is the cult part of being a mormon...I have a problem with the book of mormon and the modern day prophet. That is NOT right. I have a problem with the horny men wanting more than one wife for his own sexual pleasures because he said GOD told him to.
true&#8679;

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Protester wrote:
<quoted text>
See previous post.
First of all, I don't think gays should be adopting children of the opposite sex. Adopted kids have enough to deal with.
So having loving parents that care for you financially, and emotionally changes if they are gay???? Im sorry , that makes no sense. I'm Mormon, so as a rule most would disagree with me. However, that doesn't change how I feel. A child can be loved and cared for no matter the sexual preference. As I said before you make it sound as though being gay makes someone a child molester. Let me be clear when I say, that sexual gender preference has NOTHING to do with sexual fetish. Children are molested everyday by their own birth parents, which is sad and sick. I would rather see that child being raised by a loving gay well adjusted male any day.

“I will not keep calm”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

The Watcher wrote:
<quoted text>
force it on others?
I'm not forcing you to reject your religion, so let's not try to force me to reject the historical evidence that accurately proves that your religion is not Christian. Topix is a debate forum. I am questioning the premise of the subject of the thread. Nobody forced you to read my posts. And nobody forced you to attack my posts with your ad hominem attacks.
How about the Mountain Meadows Massacre. I notice you offered no defense for this religious terrorism that shows your religion's lack of Christian values other than your ad hominem attack questioning my mental state.
and it isn't an opinion to site historical evidence that indicates that your religion is not Christian by any definition but your own.
And no, I'm not a Jehovah's Witness, another non-Christian religion very similar to your own.
I have presented historical evidence that can be documented that backs up my opposition of your claim to be Christian. That's all. You can form an opinion based on your appraisal of the accuracy of what I presented just as I can form an opinion based on your response but again, evidence is not an opinion.
peace.
What's up Papa. See you are still stuck on Mountain Meadow Massacre huh. Well, let's pretend for a moment shall we?
Even if the massacre happened exactly as you have described,
Jesus offers forgiveness. Where is yours?
How can you judge mine or anyone else's Christianity based on how you perceive the events to happen.
not to mention I am 36 years old, what part would I have played in something that happened so very long ago.
There is no doubt that there was a massacre. I just don't agree with your thoughts on the turn of events.
In all honesty the only ones who really know without a doubt what happened that day are long dead.

“Mystical Atheism for everyone!”

Since: Nov 08

El Cerrito California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>What's up Papa. See you are still stuck on Mountain Meadow Massacre huh. Well, let's pretend for a moment shall we?
Even if the massacre happened exactly as you have described,
Jesus offers forgiveness. Where is yours?
How can you judge mine or anyone else's Christianity based on how you perceive the events to happen.
not to mention I am 36 years old, what part would I have played in something that happened so very long ago.
There is no doubt that there was a massacre. I just don't agree with your thoughts on the turn of events.
In all honesty the only ones who really know without a doubt what happened that day are long dead.
I am not judging people I am pointing out doctrines that I feel are harmful. Your religion teaches much that opposes historical Christianity.

The Mountain Meadows Massacre is just one example of the fruit of the teachings of your leaders. You downplay it and claim there is no evidence to prove anything but I disagree and so do a lot of other people. As to evidence, it's there. You just refuse to see it as to admit that Brigham Young was a murderer would shatter your faith in the church.

You talk of forgiveness?

I can't extend the forgiveness that should come from those who were slaughtered. That is not my place.

And there will never be forgiveness until it's asked for. Denial of the crime prevents any true forgiveness from ever occurring.

All I can do is point out the dangers of accepting a religion that would practice the blood atonement doctrine which clearly led to the massacre.

Historical Christianity is based on LOVE and as you pointed out, Forgiveness.

Those slaughtered at Mountain Meadows were thought by Brigham Young and the church to be deserving of it due to what had happened to the Mormons in Missouri and the murder in Arkansas.

A revenge killing of over one hundred people and you have the audacity to talk to me about judgment and forgiveness?

try to wake up to the reality of our existence. You will find it much nicer than what you are attempting to defend.

have a nice evening.

“I will not keep calm”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not judging people I am pointing out doctrines that I feel are harmful. Your religion teaches much that opposes historical Christianity.
The Mountain Meadows Massacre is just one example of the fruit of the teachings of your leaders. You downplay it and claim there is no evidence to prove anything but I disagree and so do a lot of other people. As to evidence, it's there. You just refuse to see it as to admit that Brigham Young was a murderer would shatter your faith in the church.
You talk of forgiveness?
I can't extend the forgiveness that should come from those who were slaughtered. That is not my place.
And there will never be forgiveness until it's asked for. Denial of the crime prevents any true forgiveness from ever occurring.
All I can do is point out the dangers of accepting a religion that would practice the blood atonement doctrine which clearly led to the massacre.
Those slaughtered at Mountain Meadows were thought by Brigham Young and the church to be deserving of it due to what had happened to the Mormons in Missouri and the murder in Arkansas.
A revenge killing of over one hundred people and you have the audacity to talk to me about judgment and forgiveness?
try to wake up to the reality of our existence. You will find it much nicer than what you are attempting to defend.
have a nice evening.
I find my existence very delightful as it is. I am not defending anything. Just once again stating that you are still beating a dead horse.
We all know that the Mountain Meadows massacre was a very real event. The controversy comes in , in who gave the orders. None of us really know who did it, or for that matter why. The blood atonement we have discussed many times as well. You know my thoughts on it, and I know yours.
I can easily talk of forgiveness, even though you seem to find it in bad taste on my part. Forgiveness is something offered by our heavenly father, and you are right, to receive it, it must be asked for. However to deny it, is to place ourselves in a position superior to Christ.
My point is merely that , how are any of us to judge the heart of another, or deny someone forgiveness and still consider ourselves Christian.
I am Mormon, I am Christian. I am not defined by my faith but in ways my faith does define me. Because of my beliefs, and my love of Christ I automatically love others. You can not have one without the other.

“I will not keep calm”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Let me edit my above statement. You can have love for others regardless of your religious beliefs, but you can not have a love of Christ without a love of others.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

[QUOTE who="01imjustsayin@gmail. com"]I used to think the Elders who would come out to our house were pretty cool. We'd sit there and talk about the Bible and all. Until one day they dropped the whole Joseph Smith bomb on us. Yeah. That was the last day the Elders came out to visit.[/QUOTE]

lol...who'd you think they'd talk about? The pope? Fricking funny...lolol.
Father overtime

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

The Calvary nuts that keep posting that god and Jesus are the same deity need to read up on Saul / Paul when he testifies of seeing both god and Jesus side by side. Believing that god is all three of the godhead at the same time is not Christian. Go read your bible again.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Judged:

Grandpasmurf952 wrote:
<quoted text>
You talk of forgiveness?
have a nice evening.
You liar. Fricking pathetic liar. You claim you're not judging anyone? What do you call your holding living Mormons 150 years after a slaughter, as being the one's to "beg" forgiveness for an act they didn't do? And you have the audacity to crawl like a low bellied dog and blame living people for dead people's actions? How fricking insane are you?
And than you state this insanity from a mind infected with the disease of insanity... " I can't extend the forgiveness that should come from those who were slaughtered. That is not my place.
And there will never be forgiveness until it's asked for."
Who in the living *ell expects you to forgive anyone for anything concerning a 150 year old event? Have you set yourself as a god?
The dead will forgive or not forgive the dead. That is up to them to do or not to do in a different world where they exist.
You're a filthy piece of garbage that I have never met the likes of in these threads. You make it seem that you speak for the dead as if you're their god and you know their thoughts.
You're judgements of so many will come back to judge you when you're held accountable for your judgements of others. I feel so sickely sorrowful for your black wretched heart. How can someone so vile of spiritual filth be so convinced they are so good and wonderful, that they hold persons living responsible for the actions of dead people.
Fricking unbelievable...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

LDS Mormon cult part 1
This is a good explanation.
(next post)
Father overtime

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Protester wrote:
LDS Mormon cult part 1
This is a good explanation.
(next post)
Ahoy Internet preacher.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

No Surprise wrote:
[QUOTE who="01imjustsayin@gmail. com"]I used to think the Elders who would come out to our house were pretty cool. We'd sit there and talk about the Bible and all. Until one day they dropped the whole Joseph Smith bomb on us. Yeah. That was the last day the Elders came out to visit."

lol...who'd you think they'd talk about? The pope? Fricking funny...lolol.
Ha I didn't know anything about them at the time. They were coming out there to minister. It didn't take me long to catch on, though.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••