Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CNN

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Comments (Page 423)

Showing posts 8,441 - 8,460 of32,000
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jun 12

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

The following link provides a quote to where Joseph Smith claims that German is perfect and infallible, right at the same time he was translating the Pearl of Great Price and the Bible. The Seer stone was for the BoM, not for the temple doctrines and Pearl of Great Price. I am not an anti-Mormon, I am only concerned for your soul.

http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publications/...

Smith's claims of the German language are as follows:

"The influence of German and German people seems to have matured in the Prophet Joseph Smith before his death in 1844. He apparently had gained some understanding of the German language, for in his last public speech, given at the funeral of a man named King Follett, he remarked,"

""I have been reading the German, and find [the Lutheran Bible] to be the most (nearly) correct translation, and to correspond nearest to the revelations which God has given to me for the last fourteen years.""

Not to worry, Joseph Smith read German, but I'll just assume that this is new information to you rather than a silly little attack at my character. God bless!

"In the same sermon, the acknowledged climax of the Prophet's career, he translated into English while reading from the German Bible and added, "I know the text is true. I call upon all you Germans who know that it is true to say, Eye [sic].(Loud shouts of 'Aye.')"13 A few days later Joseph Smith made further reference to this subject: "The Germans are an exalted people. The old German translators are the most nearly correct—most honest of any of the translators.""

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

Judged:

Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahahahaha!!! Wow! Now that was totally hateful. How are you going to wash the smell of death off yourself when you die real soon and start to stink from decomposition??? Will your "hubby" still be frisky?
?? Did I do something wrong? If you feel left out, then I challenge you to do the same as your friend here. Listen, were all ladies, lets be honest with each other. Let's keep ourselves fresh and clean so that our husbands don't go looking for love at the neighbor's home! hehehe :) If you'd like, I could have my husband jump on to tell you his experiences with this; he will attest to the fact that our marriage was strong mostly impart due to my hygiene and care for his manly needs!
Livinginthelando fcrazy

Sparta, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

janicefeather wrote:
<quoted text>?? Did I do something wrong? If you feel left out, then I challenge you to do the same as your friend here. Listen, were all ladies, lets be honest with each other. Let's keep ourselves fresh and clean so that our husbands don't go looking for love at the neighbor's home! hehehe :) If you'd like, I could have my husband jump on to tell you his experiences with this; he will attest to the fact that our marriage was strong mostly impart due to my hygiene and care for his manly needs!
Make no mistake. You're no lady. Nor am I for that matter. But, your marriage "was" strong? So it's not any more. Has the pre death stink already set in? Or, are you too weak to wash and those sponge baths by hospice just not cutting it?

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

Silly Joseph Smith, always reading German. It so crazy how Mormons these days claim that he didn't know German, nevertheless he did. If he weren't in outer darkness right this very moment, then I am sure he'd be glad to tell us all about it at the resurrection.

"The author's declared purposes in this volume are (1) to help students make notes in their own scriptures as they study Isaiah, and (2) to demonstrate that Isaiah can be understood and even enjoyed. To achieve these goals Mr. Ridges reprints the text of the King James Version of Isaiah and the passages of Isaiah that appear in the Book of Mormon and parenthetically inserts in each verse explanations and comments taken from a number of sources. The sources for these notes include the footnotes in the Latter-day Saint edition of the King James Bible, the Joseph Smith Translation, passages from the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Victor Ludlow's Isaiah: Prophet, Seer and Poet, Monte Nyman's Great Are the Words of Isaiah, various unspecified Bible dictionaries, the Old Testament student manual published by the Church Educational System, and the Martin Luther edition of the German Bible. The choice of these sources is good; they all provide solid background and important commentary without delving too much into speculation. I assume that the inclusion of the latter of these sources is related to Joseph Smith's declaration that he preferred the German version to the King James Version in many instances.1 One does wonder about the value of including information from the footnotes of the Latter-day Saint version of the Bible, since most readers will be using that as their primary text anyway."

He preferred the German bible, but perhaps just for looks or maybe it looked more classy? I don't know, I'm just quoting the most renowned Mormon Apologist in history, and knowing the Apologists, then are usually wrong. If Hugh Nibley is wrong on this one, then I wonder how wrong he is over all. I guess it could be the case the Joseph Smith didn't read German, but then that makes Nibley a liar, but is it better than Joseph is a liar or Nibely? I am not sure, I think that's a personal observation that you have to make for yourself through the spirit. Isn't it fascinating that even the Mormon Apologist will agree with my assessment of the Hermetic text, its a true joy in the making; the truth about Joseph Smith will be heard and nothing can stop it.

PS

If you don't believe Joseph Smith spoke German, then I will review Nibley's FARMS articles and books to make sure we correct him on all his inaccurate information. We wouldn't want the Mormon members to be deceived now would we?

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

Janice wrote:
The hermetic texts were translated to German when Joseph Smith Sr. was ten years old; in the late 1700s.
As you may or may not know, Joseph Smith Jr.(the first Mormon Prophet) claimed that German was the most "perfect" language (circa 1840). He made this statement while delivering his well known "King Follett" discourse.
I have read the King follett discourse. I went to an anti-Mormon web site that has a complete version of it. After reading it again, I saw no where of Smith claiming what you claim he said, that German was the most "perfect" language.
So if you can't get correct what smith actually said, how many other "mistakes" have you made in what you claim is true? Hmm?

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

Judged:

"My point is that intelligence wins battles."

Look what I found, its a quote by a biography about Hugh Nibley's life. I guess when we read history or search for truths by our own diligent research, then we should rely not only on the spirit but also on intelligence.

I remember 30 years ago, I was writing an article for an Egyptian Linguistics journal. I was studying ancient pagan religions during the times of the Roman empire since they relied on many ancient Egyptian texts. Well, one day while reading about a satanist cult from Rome, I asked myself the following questions:

"Why do people believe in Satan and lean on occult traditions? I mean I've always been told that those things are bad."

Then it dawned on me, Satan can also make people feel good, otherwise, why would people accept Satan's teachings. That's right, Satan is very very good at deceiving those who are wiling to "trust in the spirit" alone. Remember, war propagande, media's lies and manipulations, seduction, manipulation, and satanism all rely in the same deceptive practices. What do I mean? Well, each one of those things I've listed requires that you shut off your brain, thereby letting the knowledge of a "might one in the flesh" guide you in your life. I remember doing that, I did it for 75 years and now I have three months to live. Its funny, now that I read the bible, I can't seem to find where it tells me that I can't access God and his desires for my life without a prophet at my side day and night, but I do remember that pressure while I was a believing Latter Day Saint, you know what I am talking about, and you know it terrifies you. I wish you only the best.
Haw Haw

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

Judged:

Janice wrote:
I understand that these words are harsh for the folks in the Mormon church who are of a tender heart and spirit; God bless your soul, I hope only the best for you and I know that God will save you because your minds are incapable of understanding the deeper truths of the Gospel. May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you on your journey's where ever they may be. I only do this out of the purest of love. One day in heaven we shall meet face to face and embrace each other as brothers and sisters under the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.
Janice Feathermoon:

You are truly a breath of fresh air in a thread that has had its share of noxious gases being spread here by Carly and Crazy. Thank you so much for coming over here and sharing your vast wealth of knowledge with us. Like Dana, I eagerly await more postings from you and will buy a copy of your book when it comes out.

Are you perchance Native American? If so, I'd really like to hear your thoughts on Mountain Meadows and how the perpetrators assumed the dress and customs of your people as they took part in the mass slaughter of over 120 men women and children on September 11. And now the Mormons own and maintain the monument to this devastating tragedy.

Kinda like giving Mohammad Atta's family the keys to the World Trade Center Site, eh?
MissJoanCrawford

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

Judged:

Haw Haw wrote:
<quoted text>
Mommie Dearest... you're in the same hick Mo-town as Crazy, you're a gay small businessman, and you're voting for the Mittens....
Normally I'd say that your story doesn't compute and was ghost written by Crazy, but I believe that miracles do occur... after all, Mitt's god turned water into wine, and then back into water again. So it would take nothing for this god to plant you into the same hick town as a regular troll on this thread (there must be at least 3 million people in that town, right?- there's quite a gay neighborhood there in Bum Fuck, MO - especially since Crazy just posted trash about how gays would be thrown out, together with a gay couple in Gilbert AZ.
In spite of all this evidence around me, I'm believing your real because I'm like all the Mos around here - I lack critical thinking skills. Happy voting for Mittens - be sure to enjoy the robbing of your rights as a result. Maybe you're like no prize and are so ashamed of yourself you're not only going to participate in electoshock and vomit aversion therapy yourself, but you'll get on here to promote it!
Yeah, I believe you... Yeah, right...
You, my friend, are the typical f@g that makes the rest of us look bad. You claim to be open-minded and you are, as long as the rest of us think the same way you do. And yes, I did call you a f@g. I am old enough to remember when the police would patrol f@g bars and arrest any men who were touching, or who they perceived were touching. I earned the right to use the word. It’s people like me that paved the way for ungrateful young gays like you. You don’t know how easy you have it. I remember parking my car across the street from a gay bar in Sacramento, California (the city in which I grew up) and having things thrown at me from passing cars while I was crossing the street to bar. I remember the early 1980’s when the AIDS Epidemic broke out and I lost about two-thirds of my friends. And now as a conservative gay man, my own community shuns me. So why don’t you just shut your liberal pie-hole.

Now, I will explain how Crazy and I ended up in the same town in the same office. We worked together in California and decided to purchase a business in Southern Missouri where my parents and family are from.

Here’s a new flash for you Dick Tracy, yes, Crazy is Mormon, I am gay and we are business partners. Hmmm, I guess all of your pre-conceived ideas about “all” Mormons are correct…NOT!

As far as your insane idea that Mitt Romney will take away my rights, I can’t quite figure out what you’re talking about. Oh, the marriage thing again, I am not really interested, I have never felt the need to marry any of the men I have had relationships with, and if I were straight I wouldn’t get married either.

Now, as far as me being no prize as you put it, I have never had a problem getting a date, even in “Bum Fuck, MO” and I am certainly not ashamed of myself. I am ashamed of gays like you! And you’re right, a lot of gay men lack critical thinking skills; they think like women and make decisions based on emotion rather than logical thought. So pull your dick out of your boyfriend’s ass and read up on some basic economics. If you are not going to vote for someone because you don’t agree with his choice of church then you are a complete fool. There are many more problems with our country than gay marriage. We need to fix the economy first and foremost and the current President does not have the ability to do it.
Livinginthelando fcrazy

Sparta, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

janicefeather wrote:
"My point is that intelligence wins battles."

Look what I found, its a quote by a biography about Hugh Nibley's life. I guess when we read history or search for truths by our own diligent research, then we should rely not only on the spirit but also on intelligence.

I remember 30 years ago, I was writing an article for an Egyptian Linguistics journal. I was studying ancient pagan religions during the times of the Roman empire since they relied on many ancient Egyptian texts. Well, one day while reading about a satanist cult from Rome, I asked myself the following questions:

"Why do people believe in Satan and lean on occult traditions? I mean I've always been told that those things are bad."

Then it dawned on me, Satan can also make people feel good, otherwise, why would people accept Satan's teachings. That's right, Satan is very very good at deceiving those who are wiling to "trust in the spirit" alone. Remember, war propagande, media's lies and manipulations, seduction, manipulation, and satanism all rely in the same deceptive practices. What do I mean? Well, each one of those things I've listed requires that you shut off your brain, thereby letting the knowledge of a "might one in the flesh" guide you in your life. I remember doing that, I did it for 75 years and now I have three months to live. Its funny, now that I read the bible, I can't seem to find where it tells me that I can't access God and his desires for my life without a prophet at my side day and night, but I do remember that pressure while I was a believing Latter Day Saint, you know what I am talking about, and you know it terrifies you. I wish you only the best.
Is intelligence winning your battle with cancer? Don't be hating. Just wondering. God bless you in your journey.

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Make no mistake. You're no lady. Nor am I for that matter. But, your marriage "was" strong? So it's not any more. Has the pre death stink already set in? Or, are you too weak to wash and those sponge baths by hospice just not cutting it?
Oh bless you my internet friend, no my husband and I divorced years ago after he resigned his membership from the church. Such a sad story, but I feel inclined to tell you.

My husband came home one day with a somber look on his face as if he'd seen Satan himself. He had be doing some volunteer cleaning work at the California, Los Angeles Temple and accidentally entered the Holy of Holies. He also researched Freemasonry with me and my colleagues, so he was well aware of temple ritual connections to the free masons. I remember him telling me that he saw an alter covered with red velvet and then a podium that was red as well. He also said that there was a circle of red chairs, and his is where the brethren would make their decisions while in their holy priesthood vestments. We knew at the time of the "red-charge" and "red-covered" Freemason Satanic cults, but I refused to believe if myself. Well, he couldn't handle living with me and knowing this information, so he when in active and we divorced. Now, years later, here I am figuring all this out for myself. Its been tough, but here I am, alive and trying to hang in there.

As for my posts, have you hear the story of the mouse and the snake in the forest? Well, here it is: One day a little forest mouse approached a, in the mouses opinion, a lazy old snake. The mouse started to laugh at that snake and they said, "Silly old snake, you can't even jump, look at me, I am so much tinier than you and even I can jump so high that I could ride on top an eagle. I am fast, and nimble, and quick. Watch, I'll show you; I'm going to jump so high that I'll bring you down a piece of that cloud hanging over our head, ready, set ..." then, right as the mouse was about to finish his sentence, the snake struck with a mighty force. It was too late for the little forest mouse to revise his opinion. The end.

You see, sometimes its a good idea to gather intelligence before calling someone conceited who is merely trying to report historical facts from historical books. Unfortunately, some people fail to do that and just as they are about to fly to new heights, they are struck down with a vengeance so great that they will never be nearly as high as they were before their unfortunate mistake. God bless you my child! Amen

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

Janice wrote:
That's all I can manage for now; have fun in your studies, and remember to think twice before you think its better to let a prophet think for you that for you to think for yourself.
You set Smith to have the genius of a literary genius for all he wrote and put together from all the sources you claim he accessed.
By what educational back grounds of his are you relying upon, to show/prove that Smith was the most literary genius of at least the 18th century may I ask?
No other book like the BOM has ever been written by a single man, especially with scribes that testified he spoke and they wrote what he said. No book like it has ever been written since that promoted a world wide religion as Smiths before him or after him.
I don't even give him the literary genius to have composed the BOM from his own mind. But neither do I give him the intellect to be able to read all you claim he did to construct the BOM from literal memorization of all you claim he read and then construct a story from it all as he pretended to read from a hat/plates.
I'm interested in your explaining your belief in his literary genius and where he acquired it from :)
Livinginthelando fcrazy

Sparta, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

Haw Haw wrote:
<quoted text>Janice Feathermoon:

You are truly a breath of fresh air in a thread that has had its share of noxious gases being spread here by Carly and Crazy. Thank you so much for coming over here and sharing your vast wealth of knowledge with us. Like Dana, I eagerly await more postings from you and will buy a copy of your book when it comes out.

Are you perchance Native American? If so, I'd really like to hear your thoughts on Mountain Meadows and how the perpetrators assumed the dress and customs of your people as they took part in the mass slaughter of over 120 men women and children on September 11. And now the Mormons own and maintain the monument to this devastating tragedy.

Kinda like giving Mohammad Atta's family the keys to the World Trade Center Site, eh?
I see your reading comprehension is in peak form. She said that Janice Feathermoon was not her real name. Oh yes, you are real good at comprehending what you read. Maybe she/he has some YouTube cartoons for you to watch too.

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read the King follett discourse. I went to an anti-Mormon web site that has a complete version of it. After reading it again, I saw no where of Smith claiming what you claim he said, that German was the most "perfect" language.
So if you can't get correct what smith actually said, how many other "mistakes" have you made in what you claim is true? Hmm?
I've now written two very lengthy posts wherein I've quoted multiple multiple resources from FARMs web site that quote and attest to Joseph saying the exact words I've already told you. If you can't see those post, then I am not sure what to do to help you. Also, this information is not on Anti-Mormon sites, and if it is, then perhaps I don't have just one internet account. If it is on an anti Mormon web site, you'll be happy to know that its only been posted within the last 7 days. I've told you this one, and now I'm telling you again, this information I am bring forward is new; therefore, you won't find many posts about this on the internet and the ones you do will be either by me, my colleagues, or other Mormons quoting myself or colleagues. God bless you!

As for my cancer, I should be upset, but I am past that phase in life. Its never really bothered me when another Mormon pokes fun at me and now I know why. You don't own your own thoughts, nor do you own your own soul, its been taken from you by your false priesthoods. I can blame your false priesthoods, but that would just be silly now wouldn't it, because that false priesthood will be running the United States soon and then we can all lose our souls, our opinions, our passions, our desires,and our humanity...

And they lived happily ever after, Amen. God bless you
Livinginthelando fcrazy

Sparta, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

MissJoanCrawford wrote:
<quoted text>You, my friend, are the typical f@g that makes the rest of us look bad. You claim to be open-minded and you are, as long as the rest of us think the same way you do. And yes, I did call you a f@g. I am old enough to remember when the police would patrol f@g bars and arrest any men who were touching, or who they perceived were touching. I earned the right to use the word. ItÂ’s people like me that paved the way for ungrateful young gays like you. You donÂ’t know how easy you have it. I remember parking my car across the street from a gay bar in Sacramento, California (the city in which I grew up) and having things thrown at me from passing cars while I was crossing the street to bar. I remember the early 1980Â’s when the AIDS Epidemic broke out and I lost about two-thirds of my friends. And now as a conservative gay man, my own community shuns me. So why donÂ’t you just shut your liberal pie-hole.

Now, I will explain how Crazy and I ended up in the same town in the same office. We worked together in California and decided to purchase a business in Southern Missouri where my parents and family are from.

Here’s a new flash for you Dick Tracy, yes, Crazy is Mormon, I am gay and we are business partners. Hmmm, I guess all of your pre-conceived ideas about “all” Mormons are correct…NOT!

As far as your insane idea that Mitt Romney will take away my rights, I canÂ’t quite figure out what youÂ’re talking about. Oh, the marriage thing again, I am not really interested, I have never felt the need to marry any of the men I have had relationships with, and if I were straight I wouldnÂ’t get married either.

Now, as far as me being no prize as you put it, I have never had a problem getting a date, even in “Bum Fuck, MO” and I am certainly not ashamed of myself. I am ashamed of gays like you! And you’re right, a lot of gay men lack critical thinking skills; they think like women and make decisions based on emotion rather than logical thought. So pull your dick out of your boyfriend’s ass and read up on some basic economics. If you are not going to vote for someone because you don’t agree with his choice of church then you are a complete fool. There are many more problems with our country than gay marriage. We need to fix the economy first and foremost and the current President does not have the ability to do it.
Hahahahahaha!!! You tell him Joan! Damn! Still the sharpest queen I know. Hahahahahaha!!! See ya Monday...

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You set Smith to have the genius of a literary genius for all he wrote and put together from all the sources you claim he accessed.
By what educational back grounds of his are you relying upon, to show/prove that Smith was the most literary genius of at least the 18th century may I ask?
No other book like the BOM has ever been written by a single man, especially with scribes that testified he spoke and they wrote what he said. No book like it has ever been written since that promoted a world wide religion as Smiths before him or after him.
I don't even give him the literary genius to have composed the BOM from his own mind. But neither do I give him the intellect to be able to read all you claim he did to construct the BOM from literal memorization of all you claim he read and then construct a story from it all as he pretended to read from a hat/plates.
I'm interested in your explaining your belief in his literary genius and where he acquired it from :)
I'm not sure I heard this story from the nice news ladies correctly, but let me tell you what I know about education vs. leadership and other social movements.

Lets see if I can remember, sometimes this frail brain doesn't work like it use to; oh yes, there it is:

Celebrities, Chefs, & Business Owners without college degrees that did quite a bit more writing and analyzing and acting and artist creations than Joseph Smith could have ever imagined:

Halle Berry, Abraham Lincoln, Amancio Ortega Gaona, John D. Rockefeller, Julie Andrews, Sean Connery, Simon Cowell, Walt Disney, Dave Thomas, Michael j. Fox, Rachael Ray, Wolfgang Puck

and...

S. Daniel Abraham, billionaire founder of Slim-Fast. Joined the Army at the age of 18 and fought in Europe during World War II. Did not attend college.

Roman Abramovich, richest man in Russia, billionaire. Dropped out of college. He studied at the Moscow State Auto Transport Institute before taking a leave of absence from academics to go into business. He later earned a correspondence degree from the Moscow State Law Academy.

Abigail Adams, U.S. first lady. Home schooled.

Ansel Adams, photographer. Dropped out of high school.

Bryan Adams, singer, songwriter. High school dropout.

Calpernia Adams, showgirl, transsexual. Never attended college. As she noted,“My parents thought that college leads you away from God, so they hadn't saved any money.”

Sandy Adams, U.S. congressperson. Dropped out of high school at the age of 17 to join the Air Force. Later got her GED and attended the police academy before being hired as a deputy sheriff.

Gautam Adani, commodities billionaire from India. Dropped out of college.

Adele, aka Adele Laurie Blue Adkins, singer and songwriter. Intended to go to college but got signed to a recording deal just after her high school graduation.

Sheldon Adelson, billionaire casino owner. Dropped out of City College of New York to become a court reporter. He made his first fortune doing trade shows.

Mortimer Adler, author, educator, editor. Left high school at the age of 15 to work. Later received his high school equivalency degree and attended Columbia University.

Ferran Adria, chef. Has been called the world's greatest chef. Did not finish high school.

Miguel Adrover, fashion designer. High school dropout.

Ben Affleck, actor, screenwriter. Left the University of Vermont after one semester; then dropped out of Occidental College to pursue acting.

Andre Agassi, tennis player, winner of 8 Grand Slam titles. Quit school in the ninth grade and turned tennis pro at the age of 16. His father would drive the kids to school but, instead, actually took them to local tennis courts to practice.

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

and ...

Dianna Agron, singer, dancer, actress. "I didn't take the typical path and go to college after high school. Instead, I saved up money from teaching dance classes and moved to L.A."

Christina Aguilera, singer, songwriter. Never finished high school.

Danny Aiello, actor. Dropped out of high school at the age of 16 to join the army. Later received a high school equivalency degree.

Troy Aikman, Superbowl-winning football quarterback, TV sports commentator. In 2009, he finally graduated from UCLA, 20 years after leaving college to play in the National Football League. Aikman had promised his mother, when he left school just two courses shy of a degree, that he would return and finish. In 2009, at the age of 42, he finally fulfilled that commitment, earning A's in his last two courses, thus earning a bachelor's degree in sociology.

Malin Akerman, model, actress. Enrolled in York University (Toronto) but left after about a year to see what else was out there. She moved to Los Angeles to become an actress.

Dennis Albaugh, billionaire founder of pesticide company Albaugh Inc. Earned a 2-year agriculture business degree from Des Moines Community College. Did not continue on to a 4-year degree.

Edward Albee, playwright. Dropped out of Trinity College after three semesters.

Jack Albertson, Oscar-winning actor. High school dropout.

Chuck Allen, banker, co-founder of the National Scholastic Surfing Association, and founder of the U.S. Amateur Snowboard Association. At the age of 19, he moved from Oklahoma to California and began working odd jobs until he was established enough to move on to a banking career.

Paul Allen, billionaire co-founder of Microsoft, founder of Xiant software, owner of Seattle Seahawks and Portland Trailblazers. Dropped out of the University of Washington to work for Honeywell. A year later he convinced Bill Gates to drop out of Harvard and move to Albuquerque, New Mexico to start up Microsoft.

Peter Allen, singer, songwriter, composer. High school dropout.

Rick Allen, rock star member of Def Leppard. High school dropout.

Woody Allen, screenwriter, actor, director, and producer. Was thrown out of New York University after one semester for poor grades. Also dropped out of City College of New York. As he admitted,“I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics final. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me.”

Steven-Elliot Altman, author. Left school at the beginning of the 10th grade and ran away from home. Entered college at the age of 16 and earned a degree at 19.

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

and ...

Dhirubhai Ambani, billionaire Indian businessman. High school dropout.

Wally “Famous” Amos, multimillionaire cookie entrepreneur, author, talent agent. Dropped out of high school at the age of 17 to join the U.S. Air Force.

Hans Christian Andersen, short story author, fairy tales. Left home at the age of 14 to find work. Later attended Copenhagen Univesity.

George "Sparky" Anderson, baseball player and manager. Did not attend college.

Paul Thomas Anderson, director of such movies as “Boogie Nights” and “Magnolia.” He attended film school at New York University but quit after two days because one professor dissed “Terminator 2” and another gave him a C for a writing assignment.

Tom Anderson, co-founder of MySpace. A high school dropout.

Walter Anderson, publisher, editor. High school dropout who later earned an equivalency degree.

André 3000, see André Benjamin.

Mario Andretti, race-car driver, author. High school dropout who later earned an equivalency degree.

Anthony Andrews, actor. High school dropout.

Julie Andrews, Oscar-winning actress, singer, author. Dropped out of high school.

Jennifer Aniston, actress. Never attended college.

“Jennifer Aniston says getting a nose job was the best thing she ever did. But keep in mind, she didn't go to college, her marriage failed, her mom hates her, and she was in that Kevin Costner movie.”— Danielle Fishel, The Dish

Shiri Appleby, actress. Went to the University of Southern California for a year and a half before acting in Roswell TV show. In 2010, she is working on her associate degree via the University of Phoenix and then intends to transfer to UCLA.

Christina Applegate, actress. High school dropout.

Edwin Apps, British artist. High school dropout.

Joan Armatrading, singer, songwriter. High school dropout.

Billie Joe Armstrong, front man for Green Day punk rock band. High school dropout. As he noted,“I finally realized that high school didn't make any sense for me then. So I quit.”

Louis Armstrong, jazz musician, singer. Dropped out of high school.

Peter Arnell, advertising executive. Never attended college. Talked his way into the advertising business after graduating from high school.

Eddy Arnold, country music singer and member of the Country Music Hall of Fame. He was 11 when his father died, so he turned to singing at church picnics and other venues to support his family. By the age of 17, he was singing in nearby honky-tonks and made his first radio appearance. He debuted at the Grand Ole Opry in 1943. Between 1945 and 1983, 145 of his songs made the country charts, with 28 of them at #1. He sold more than 85 million records.

Cliff Arquette, aka Charlie Weaver. Comedian, entertainer. High school dropout.

Mathangi Arulpragasam, aka M.I.A., rapper. Did not attend college.

Danni Ahse, multimillionaire businesswoman, adult entertainment website operator, model, producer, dancer. High school dropout who later earned an equivalency degree.

Julian Assange, Wikileaks founder, software programmer. Studied mathematics at the University of Melbourne but dropped out because other students were doing research for the Pentagon's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.

Brooke Astor, wealthy socialite, author, philanthropist. Dropped out of high school.

John Jacob Astor, multimillionaire businessman. America's first multimillionaire. High school dropout.

Chet Atkins, country singer, author. High school dropout.

Jane Austen, novelist. She and her sister attended schools in Oxford, Southampton, and Reading until the age of 11. After that time, their father taught them at home. Did not attend college.

“Stone Cold” Steve Austin, wrestler, actor. Dropped out of the University of North Texas a few credits shy of a physical education degree.

Gene Autry, singing cowboy, actor, songwriter, producer, businessman, author, baseball team owner. High school dropout.

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

and ...

Richard Avedon, photographer. High school dropout.

Willy Aybar, baseball player. High school dropout.

Dan Aykroyd, actor, comedian. Dropped out of Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada.

----------

You know, I just love that Dan Aykroyd character, he was very very funny in Ghost Busters, I remember seeing that with my little boy Jeremy. Oh the memories.

God, bless you everyone!

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

Judged:

MissJoanCrawford wrote:
<quoted text>
You, my friend, are the typical f@g that makes the rest of us look bad. You claim to be open-minded and you are, as long as the rest of us think the same way you do. And yes, I did call you a f@g. I am old enough to remember when the police would patrol f@g bars and arrest any men who were touching, or who they perceived were touching. I earned the right to use the word. It’s people like me that paved the way for ungrateful young gays like you. You don’t know how easy you have it. I remember parking my car across the street from a gay bar in Sacramento, California (the city in which I grew up) and having things thrown at me from passing cars while I was crossing the street to bar. I remember the early 1980’s when the AIDS Epidemic broke out and I lost about two-thirds of my friends. And now as a conservative gay man, my own community shuns me. So why don’t you just shut your liberal pie-hole.
As far as your insane idea that Mitt Romney will take away my rights, I can’t quite figure out what you’re talking about. Oh, the marriage thing again, I am not really interested, I have never felt the need to marry any of the men I have had relationships with, and if I were straight I wouldn’t get married either.
And rightfully so, go gettem' tiger! By the way, I'm not here for political reasons, the economy does need a good fixin' and if anyone can do it, and if I were to live long enough to be able to vote this coming election, I too would pick the Anti-Christ, I hear they are pretty good at making money through oppression and devastation; America will be so beautiful after all other nations resources are ours! This nation truly is a nation given to the Mormons through Joseph Smith, God bless the USA.

"One nation, under 'dark rites', divisible, with liberty and justice for the endowed white Mormons"

Each time I sing that, I get teary eyed, if you will please excuse me while I use the powder room.

God bless? Yes, always God bless.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

janicefeather wrote:
The following link provides a quote to where Joseph Smith claims that German is perfect and infallible, right at the same time he was translating the Pearl of Great Price and the Bible. The Seer stone was for the BoM, not for the temple doctrines and Pearl of Great Price. I am not an anti-Mormon, I am only concerned for your soul.
Smith's claims of the German language are as follows:
"The influence of German and German people seems to have matured in the Prophet Joseph Smith before his death in 1844. He apparently had gained some understanding of the German language, for in his last public speech, given at the funeral of a man named King Follett, he remarked,"
""I have been reading the German, and find [the Lutheran Bible] to be the most (nearly) correct translation, and to correspond nearest to the revelations which God has given to me for the last fourteen years.""
Not to worry, Joseph Smith read German, but I'll just assume that this is new information to you rather than a silly little attack at my character. God bless!
"In the same sermon, the acknowledged climax of the Prophet's career, he translated into English while reading from the German Bible and added, "I know the text is true. I call upon all you Germans who know that it is true to say, Eye [sic].(Loud shouts of 'Aye.')"13 A few days later Joseph Smith made further reference to this subject: "The Germans are an exalted people. The old German translators are the most nearly correct—most honest of any of the translators.""
Smith didn't actually read German as you wish to believe. That was a bait question and you went for it.
Smith claimed to have a "single volume of Bible" with the English and then the Latin, Greek and German translations in it. He did state in the Follett discourse that you can't quote correctly for some reason..."I have an old edition of the New Testament in the Latin, Hebrew, German and Greek languages." See, if he had a special NT version with Latin, Greek and German, the obvious question even to an anti-Mormon with common sense would be, so when did Smith take time to be tutored in Latin, Greek and German so he could read those languages without error? He didn't. They were obvious "English" translations of those languages with side bars. You can believe he had the genius of understanding languages if you wish. I don't believe it myself.
By the way, your bad. Smith didn't claim German was perfect and infallible. He said no such thing. That;s the second time you erred in what he actually said. You're blowing your credibility yourself you realize by these "mis-quotes"?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 8,441 - 8,460 of32,000
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••