Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Oct 12, 2011 Full story: CNN 32,004

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Full Story

“Protest / support the marchers”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#26757 Jun 24, 2013
The Bible, and the true Christian church is founded on the writings of men inspired by God, and their Gospel is consistent with what Jesus taught.

The Book of Mormon is 'inspired' by only one man, is NOT consistent with what Jesus taught, is NOT consistent with the Bible, and when you read the ludicrous way in which Smith claims to be inspired, it's clear that nobody who wants to be a Christian would follow that insanity.

There are many warnings in Mormonism that something is horribly wrong, plus the work of the Holy Spirit in those who want the truth. The rest have chosen to be lost.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#26758 Jun 24, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Not Ashamed,
I apologize to you for saying that to you. I was having a bad day and it was inappropriate for me to take it out on you.
We as Latter-day Saints should be a better examples.
It is no more right for me to call you names as it is for you to taunt me.
apology accepted.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#26759 Jun 24, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
I ensure you... it is not true, and you are an idiot.
Says the nutjob.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#26760 Jun 24, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
...yes, the backlash. The LGBT and you/supporters have became what the opposition has been. The LGBT and you/supporters have become full of hate, rage, lies, filthy derogatory speech and bullying tactics accompanied with mental/physical violence on persons/property. And the LGBT and you/supporters think you're full of truth and justice by wearing a cloak of hate, anger, rage, lies, filthy derogatory speech and bullying tactics accompanied with mental/physical violence on persons/property. Like the opposition, YOU DEMAND that people agree with how you think OR ELSE suffer the consequences for having a differing opinion.
And your idea of what truth is has been muddied by all the negative hate and rage and negative feelings you expound.
And where is the backtracking this church has done that society hasn't been doing for the last 40 years strong and with other various Christian religions backtracking right along with society? And you find fault that this church is no longer fighting the civil aspect that other religions and society quit fighting against? fighting what society once fought?
You're damned right we demand it. Get over it, bigot.

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#26762 Jun 24, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't have to change..they can go down with the klan if they choose..what backtracking??? Allowing gay people to remain members as long as they are celibate..it used to be immediate ex-communication. Saying its not a choice?? Ask PaKKKer...Evergreen rebrands?? I heard someone at a splc event stand up and say they were physically tortured with electricity by them in 2006
What the bleach in your brain has hidden from you is the congregation of that cult is changing..if the lizards continue their evil hate, the members will leave, if they don't change. People are sick of those old bigots.
Continue their evil hate? lol...this church hasn't even dished out a 0000.00001/1000th of a 1/10,000th of the hate and rejection that society continues to dish out. Society could care less about what Mormons think or don't think in general. Society has been use to the LDS hard right conservative views for way past a century and expects nothing new or drastic in change from this church. What the members did with prop 8 was a small irritation to society in general and nothing more. It was actually found in voting stats afterwards that the LDS actually represented how most of voting society really felt.
This church is accepting the fact that society is changing concerning how it feels about homosexuality and is making small civil changes without changing it's actual stance against homosexuality.
The majority of Mormons (like many people) have found they can accommodate homosexuality in society positively while still maintaining a theistic stance/belief against it.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#26763 Jun 24, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text> apology accepted.
:)

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#26764 Jun 24, 2013
Protester wrote:
The Bible, and the true Christian church is founded on the writings of men inspired by God, and their Gospel is consistent with what Jesus taught.
The Book of Mormon is 'inspired' by only one man, is NOT consistent with what Jesus taught, is NOT consistent with the Bible, and when you read the ludicrous way in which Smith claims to be inspired, it's clear that nobody who wants to be a Christian would follow that insanity.
There are many warnings in Mormonism that something is horribly wrong, plus the work of the Holy Spirit in those who want the truth. The rest have chosen to be lost.
God speaks through whom he chooses... Joseph Smith did not write The Book of Mormon... it was the writings of the Men who left Jerusalem by God's command.

It is a Historic account of their journeys to America. Joseph Smith did not write The Book of Mormon, he translated The Book of Mormon.

Location hidden

#26765 Jun 24, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>Continue their evil hate? lol...this church hasn't even dished out a 0000.00001/1000th of a 1/10,000th of the hate and rejection that society continues to dish out. Society could care less about what Mormons think or don't think in general. Society has been use to the LDS hard right conservative views for way past a century and expects nothing new or drastic in change from this church. What the members did with prop 8 was a small irritation to society in general and nothing more. It was actually found in voting stats afterwards that the LDS actually represented how most of voting society really felt.
This church is accepting the fact that society is changing concerning how it feels about homosexuality and is making small civil changes without changing it's actual stance against homosexuality.
The majority of Mormons (like many people) have found they can accommodate homosexuality in society positively while still maintaining a theistic stance/belief against it.
Tell that to the suicides families..tell it to the families with gay kids, that the parents don't want to abandon..that the parents want to have a loving happy life..they either change or they become the klan.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#26766 Jun 25, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell that to the suicides families..tell it to the families with gay kids, that the parents don't want to abandon..that the parents want to have a loving happy life..they either change or they become the klan.
I'm just wondering if you blind?

The LDS Church is a CHURCH... it is a place for people to worship God. It is a place where people are very much family oriented.

I think you are too close to the suicide support group you support (and I endorse that). But, to blame God's Church for Corruption because someone committed suicide is not right.

I realize you feel responsible for that kid.
I realize you are a gay advocate.
I realize you can't separate rationality from your emotions.

IDK how long it has been since that kid died... but that was that kids decision. It was not the Churches fault and it was not your fault. He choose! He could have chosen differently.

Seriously, you need to get some counseling to help you through the grieving process.

Location hidden

#26767 Jun 25, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>I'm just wondering if you blind?

The LDS Church is a CHURCH... it is a place for people to worship God. It is a place where people are very much family oriented.

I think you are too close to the suicide support group you support (and I endorse that). But, to blame God's Church for Corruption because someone committed suicide is not right.

I realize you feel responsible for that kid.
I realize you are a gay advocate.
I realize you can't separate rationality from your emotions.

IDK how long it has been since that kid died... but that was that kids decision. It was not the Churches fault and it was not your fault. He choose! He could have chosen differently.

Seriously, you need to get some counseling to help you through the grieving process.
LD$, inc. is a pyramid scheme using religion as a tax shelter..get your facts straight

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#26768 Jun 25, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
LD$, inc. is a pyramid scheme using religion as a tax shelter..get your facts straight
Omgosh... you are so delusional...

Christ's Church is a pyramid scheme. Is that what you are going to tell him on judgement day?

Location hidden

#26769 Jun 25, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>Omgosh... you are so delusional...

Christ's Church is a pyramid scheme. Is that what you are going to tell him on judgement day?
Yes and the first presidency should all be in prison for numerous charges, including fraud.
YOU are the deluded one...."kids, always remember..Heavenly Father would not want you to be hypnotized"
...overheard at Wendy's in Midvale, Utah.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#26770 Jun 25, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and the first presidency should all be in prison for numerous charges, including fraud.
YOU are the deluded one...."kids, always remember..Heavenly Father would not want you to be hypnotized"
...overheard at Wendy's in Midvale, Utah.
You are crazy!

You think that God wants people in Church to go around and preach homosexuality is ok...

No...

You must separate the good (his commandments and teachings)
from the bad (peoples desires becoming more important than his commands).

You can spread your opinions or lies around but that's all it is... is your personal opinion, it's not God's command.

It amazes me that you think it's ok to preach and tell people the Church is wrong for following what God commands.

It's a good thing this isn't the dark ages you would be burned at the stake for heresy, or maybe they would just bury you alive... who knows what they would do to you.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#26771 Jun 25, 2013
I guess what I am saying is just because you don't understand it, or support it... doesn't make the Church wrong.

What is important is God's commands.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#26772 Jun 25, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>
You are crazy!
You think that God wants people in Church to go around and preach homosexuality is ok...
No...
You can spread your opinions or lies around but that's all it is... is your personal opinion, it's not God's command.
It amazes me that you think it's ok to preach and tell people the Church is wrong for following what God commands.
It's a good thing this isn't the dark ages you would be burned at the stake for heresy, or maybe they would just bury you alive... who knows what they would do to you.
what makes you think the church has God's approval anyway? They don't follow what the Bible says. For example: God expects true religion to stay politically neutral. Religion disobeys that. etc. How do you think God's feels about that?

Location hidden

#26773 Jun 25, 2013
sportxmouse wrote:
<quoted text>You are crazy!

No...

...and you would sustain the lizards who burned me. Your cult is not only wrong, it's evil and harmful.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#26774 Jun 25, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
...and you would sustain the lizards who burned me. Your cult is not only wrong, it's evil and harmful.
The Catholics are the ones that burned heretics in the dark ages. The Church of Jesus Christ had to be restored because it became corrupted.

No, I would NEVER sustain their actions.

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#26775 Jun 25, 2013
happypioneer wrote:
<quoted text>
what makes you think the church has God's approval anyway? They don't follow what the Bible says. For example: God expects true religion to stay politically neutral. Religion disobeys that. etc. How do you think God's feels about that?
Where does it say that in the Bible?

“Duty is a Privilege!”

Location hidden

#26776 Jun 25, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_ch...

"In English, the exact term is an offshoot of the phrase, "wall of separation between church and state", as written in Thomas Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1802. In that letter, referencing the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, Jefferson writes: "Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions,...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#26777 Jun 25, 2013
The Mark of Cain
The Mormon prophet Brigham Young on the appearence of Africans:
“Cain slew his brother....and the Lord put a mark upon him, which is the FLAT NOSE AND BLACK SKIN...”
(Journal of Discourses, Vol. 7, pages 290-291)
From a Mormon Publication:
“Their skin is quite black, their hair woolly and black, THEIR INTELLIGENCE STUNTED, and they appear never to have arisen from the most savage state of barbarism.” The Juvenile Instructor, Vol. 3, page 157)
Besides a black skin, Africans have a black heart, according to Mormon publication Times and Seasons, edited by future prophet John Taylor:
“The descendants of Ham, besides A BLACK SKIN which has ever been a curse that has followed an apostate of the holy priesthood, as well as a BLACK HEART, have been servants to both Shem and Japheth, and the ABOLITIONISTS ARE TRYING TO MAKE VOID THE CURSE OF GOD, BUT IT WILL REQUIRE MORE POWER THAN MAN POSSESSES TO COUNTERACT THE DECREES OF ETERNAL WISDOM.”
(Times and Seasons, Vol. 6, page 857)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Television Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Martha Plimpton: 'I don't want to be just famous' 4 min Mr anonomous proxy 1
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Cpecker1313 306,948
Bill Cosby's Daughter Says Her Dad Is a Real-Li... 2 hr Observation 1
What Would Our Forefathers Think of America Today? (Jul '09) 2 hr Carol Fox 2
Why Japan has bet its revival on humanoid robots 2 hr SHlTWORMDAEGUDEBD... 15
Catholic Charities refuses to place children wi... (Jun '11) 4 hr nOgOd 1,212
'The Young and the Restless': Michael Muhney's ... (Mar '14) 4 hr Ms Lily 6