Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32093 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#22916 Apr 1, 2013
Bigfoot wrote:
Hey Christians, Can't we all just get along.
No one christian believes exactly what another christian believes. In the end you can only answer for yourself. Preachers have to answer for any of thier misleading.
We're getting along. It's a discussion.
Jubmo

Draper, UT

#22917 Apr 1, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
I found this which seems to coincide with what you are trying to say, I believe, or hope rather.
Ben Witherington, a non-LDS biblical scholar, understands this exchange in a similar way: The case put forward by the Sadducees is particularly extreme. Not
There is no marriage in heaven. Mormon god is a man, that's why these morons argue so much for their pagan doctrine!

1) Joseph Smith said that "First God Himself, who sits enthroned in yonder heaven, is a man like unto one of yourselves, that is the great secret...I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined that God was God from all eternity... God himself; the Father of us all dwelt on an earth the same as Jesus Christ himself did,...You have to learn how to be gods yourselves; ...No man can learn you more than what I have told you."

2) Mormon Apostle Orson Pratt stated, "The Gods who dwell in Heaven...have been redeemed from the grave in a world which existed before the foundations of this earth were laid. They and the Heavenly body which they now inhabit were once in a fallen state .... they were exalted also, from Fallen men to Celestial Gods to inhabit their heaven forever and ever."

3) Pratt further stated that, "We (men on earth) were begotten by our father in heaven: the person of our Father in Heaven we begotten on a previous heavenly world by his father; and again, He was begotten by a still more ancient father; and so on."

4) Brigham Young stated the purpose of the LDS god, "The Lord created you and me for the purpose of becoming God like himself; We are created ... to become Gods like unto our Father in heaven."

5) Being true to his church's teaching, Milton Hunter concluded that, " ...we must accept the fact that there was a time when Deity was much less powerful than He is today."

6) The LDS Scriptures teach that God is a man of flesh and bones: "The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us."

From these statements, made by the founders and leaders of Mormonism, we can see that they believe in a plurality of gods in the Universe. Their god is only one of an innumerable number of gods in the Universe and is an exalted man of "flesh and bone" who was given charge of this world. However, they do not worship a plurality of gods, only worshiping or being responsible to the god of earth who is literally their "Heavenly Father" meaning they are his sexually produced off-spring. In fact all angels, Jesus, Lucifer and all men are the sexually produced children of their god in heaven.
Jubmo

Draper, UT

#22918 Apr 1, 2013
The Mormon god is literally a man who began his existence as something they call an "intelligence." This being they refer to as an "intelligence" did not have a body but existed as simply pure intelligence somewhere in the Universe. They do not speculate on where the "intelligence" came from believing that it like the universe had no beginning. However, on another planet (not the earth) out in the universe a god (not the god of earth) and one of his wives had a spirit child and this intelligence was given a spirit body and was born as a child. As a spirit child he lived in the heaven with his father and mother god in a heavenly family. Next, this spirit child allowed to come to his father god's planet and get a human body when a human couple on the planet had a child. This human child grew up on that planet and was born a sinner. However, in time he was redeemed by being faithful
to the gospel of his heavenly father god and lived a life doing good works. He afterwards died and was resurrected to what the Mormons call the "Celestial" heaven. In the Celestial heaven this man was declared to be "worthy" of becoming a god and was exalted to godhood. He then was appointed to be the god of earth by a counsel of gods that live at the center of the universe near a star or planet called Kolob. Kolob is mentioned in the LDS scripture in the Book of Abraham and is said to be the nearest heavenly body to the place where their god dwells. This now god, retained his physical body, becoming in his essence a god of "flesh and bones."

Their god proceeded to the earth and began to produce children with his many wives and thereby populates the earth. It is very interesting that the estimated number of people who have been born on earth is whopping 108,456,367,669.(7)(108.4 trillion) Each person on the earth pre-existed in heaven as a spirit child according to their doctrine. This means each person was conceived in a sexual union by heavenly father and one of his wives.(I will make no further comment)

These are why u argued unrelentlessly that there is marriage in heaven, because the Mormon god was a man, not eternal like the god in the bible, and he also had sex with billions of spirit women to have all of us as his literal spirit children. Stupid moron

Since: Sep 12

Ozark, MO

#22920 Apr 1, 2013
Jubmo wrote:
<quoted text>There is no marriage in heaven. Mormon god is a man, that's why these morons argue so much for their pagan doctrine!

(1) Joseph Smith said that "First God Himself, who sits enthroned in yonder heaven, is a man like unto one of yourselves, that is the great secret...I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined that God was God from all eternity... God himself; the Father of us all dwelt on an earth the same as Jesus Christ himself did,...You have to learn how to be gods yourselves; ...No man can learn you more than what I have told you."

(2) Mormon Apostle Orson Pratt stated, "The Gods who dwell in Heaven...have been redeemed from the grave in a world which existed before the foundations of this earth were laid. They and the Heavenly body which they now inhabit were once in a fallen state .... they were exalted also, from Fallen men to Celestial Gods to inhabit their heaven forever and ever."

(3) Pratt further stated that, "We (men on earth) were begotten by our father in heaven: the person of our Father in Heaven we begotten on a previous heavenly world by his father; and again, He was begotten by a still more ancient father; and so on."

(4) Brigham Young stated the purpose of the LDS god, "The Lord created you and me for the purpose of becoming God like himself; We are created ... to become Gods like unto our Father in heaven."

(5) Being true to his church's teaching, Milton Hunter concluded that, " ...we must accept the fact that there was a time when Deity was much less powerful than He is today."

(6) The LDS Scriptures teach that God is a man of flesh and bones: "The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us."

From these statements, made by the founders and leaders of Mormonism, we can see that they believe in a plurality of gods in the Universe. Their god is only one of an innumerable number of gods in the Universe and is an exalted man of "flesh and bone" who was given charge of this world. However, they do not worship a plurality of gods, only worshiping or being responsible to the god of earth who is literally their "Heavenly Father" meaning they are his sexually produced off-spring. In fact all angels, Jesus, Lucifer and all men are the sexually produced children of their god in heaven.
Zzzz...

Ozark, MO

#22921 Apr 1, 2013
Jubmo wrote:
The Mormon god is literally a man who began his existence as something they call an "intelligence." This being they refer to as an "intelligence" did not have a body but existed as simply pure intelligence somewhere in the Universe. They do not speculate on where the "intelligence" came from believing that it like the universe had no beginning. However, on another planet (not the earth) out in the universe a god (not the god of earth) and one of his wives had a spirit child and this intelligence was given a spirit body and was born as a child. As a spirit child he lived in the heaven with his father and mother god in a heavenly family. Next, this spirit child allowed to come to his father god's planet and get a human body when a human couple on the planet had a child. This human child grew up on that planet and was born a sinner. However, in time he was redeemed by being faithful
to the gospel of his heavenly father god and lived a life doing good works. He afterwards died and was resurrected to what the Mormons call the "Celestial" heaven. In the Celestial heaven this man was declared to be "worthy" of becoming a god and was exalted to godhood. He then was appointed to be the god of earth by a counsel of gods that live at the center of the universe near a star or planet called Kolob. Kolob is mentioned in the LDS scripture in the Book of Abraham and is said to be the nearest heavenly body to the place where their god dwells. This now god, retained his physical body, becoming in his essence a god of "flesh and bones."

Their god proceeded to the earth and began to produce children with his many wives and thereby populates the earth. It is very interesting that the estimated number of people who have been born on earth is whopping 108,456,367,669.(7)(108.4 trillion) Each person on the earth pre-existed in heaven as a spirit child according to their doctrine. This means each person was conceived in a sexual union by heavenly father and one of his wives.(I will make no further comment)

These are why u argued unrelentlessly that there is marriage in heaven, because the Mormon god was a man, not eternal like the god in the bible, and he also had sex with billions of spirit women to have all of us as his literal spirit children. Stupid moron
Hey Jubmo! Here's an idea since you have none of your own. When you ripoff other people's thoughts or ideas, GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE! CITE YOUR SOURCES!

http://bible-truth.org/whoisgod.htm

Since: Apr 13

Mind your manners

#22922 Apr 1, 2013
All the various religions are full of odd made-up nonsense.

“I will not keep calm”

Since: Mar 08

Raise hell...change the world

#22923 Apr 1, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
We're getting along. It's a discussion.
Did you have a nice Easter darlin'?

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

#22924 Apr 1, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
I found this which seems to coincide with what you are trying to say, I believe, or hope rather.
Ben Witherington, a non-LDS biblical scholar, understands this exchange in a similar way: The case put forward by the Sadducees is particularly extreme. Not only had six brothers attempted and failed to impregnate the woman in question, but she had also outlived them all and was single when she died. It is perhaps this last fact which prompts the question: Whose spouse will she be in the resurrection?...Jesus stresses that in the age to come people will neither marry nor be given in marriage. Notice what Jesus does not say. He does not say there will be no marriage in the age to come. The use of the terms "γαμου" (gamousin) and "γαμιζ" (gamizontai) is important, for these terms refer to the gender-specific roles played in early Jewish society by the man and the woman in the process of getting married. The men, being the initiators of the process in such a strongly patriarchal culture, "marry," while the women are "given in marriage" by their father or another older family member. Thus Mark has Jesus saying that no new marriages will be initiated in the eschatological [resurrection] state. This is surely not the same as claiming that all existing marriages will disappear in the eschatological state.
[note] Ben Witherington III, The Gospel of Mark: A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary (Grand Rapids, Eerdmans, 2001), 328. ISBN 0802845037.
Thanks. I'm sure Dana will find a way to disagree with this non-Mormon source you have pasted :)

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#22925 Apr 1, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason given for the one wife limit was so they "are blameless." So, according to you "apostles, prophets, bishops, deacons, pastors, teachers, evangelists and seventies" don't have to be blameless? They can do what they want and still keep their office? Because, according to your logic, he also required that Bishops be "vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous". So that means because he didn't say that about "apostles, prophets, bishops, deacons, pastors, teachers, evangelists and seventies" they don't. According to your logic.
Great reasoning, if you are 5 yrs old. I can also point out he didn't have to tell the Apostles, because none of them had more than one wife, and there was NO prophets in the church.
You can twist this all you want. You have proved yourself incorrect. So twist it back on me all you want and you will remain incorrect by doing so.
You pointed out bishops and deacons were required to be the husband of one wife. That is all the NT verifies of the disciples given offices that were required to be the husband of one wife, deacons and bishops. I even agreed.
What you don't appreciate is the fact that other disciples holding other offices weren't given any specifics for marital status to hold an office. So that leaves open the possibility of a disciple having polygamous marital status while being an apostle, prophet, etc.
And it's your logic that's established that possibility, not mine. And you can't stand that it's your reasoning behind it. lol...you can't win for winning or losing to your own reasoning...

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#22926 Apr 1, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure he did.
<quoted text>
Yes, he did, none of them.
No he didn't. Jesus never said in an answer..."She will belong to none of those husbands because a mortal marriage doesn't exist or continue on into the next life." And that is what you're trying to make it sound like that Jesus said for an answer.
Lie to yourself all you want. Jesus didn't answer their question.
Jesus didn't say their would be no marriages in the next life. Never said any such thing except to your twisted thinking.
Jesus said there would be NO MARRYING. Do you know what NO MARRYING means? If you walk past a church and a sign reads on the door "NO MARRYING HERE" would you understand it? If you went to Las Vegas and went to a very famous marriage chapel there and on the door it had a sign "NO MORE MARRYING HERE" would you be able to comprehend that message? Or would you need someone to explain to you that the sign meant that famous chapel doesn't preform marriages there any more hmm?
Jesus said there would be no giving in marriage. Do you know what it means to be given in marriage in just our time? I do. I have female relatives that were given in marriage by their fathers to the groom. It's a custom/tradition that shows the father of the daughter is in agreement to the marriage. He proves this by giving away his daughter in a symbolic manner. Sometimes when a father isn't there to do it, someone else will be asked to give the bride away.
Thus what Jesus said had absolutely not a thing to do with if marriages in this life would extend into the next life.
But you'll make up twisted lies to believe and why? Jesus never stated what you claim he did. All you give is an inaccurate opinion.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#22927 Apr 1, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, Jesus did make a claim, he said she wasn't going to be married, and neither was anybody else.
He never made any such claim. Maybe in your twisted thinking but not in his words.

Marysville, CA

#22928 Apr 2, 2013
not ashamed wrote:
<quoted text> Did you have a nice Easter darlin'?
Wonderful Easter, took the family out to dinner after church, then showed my daughter "Lincoln", a really good movie I recommend for everybody. Daniel Day-Lewis did a great job. But I always pictured Lincoln having a deeper voice. The weather here is wonderful, about ready to start grilling out again.

I hope yours was good.

Marysville, CA

#22929 Apr 2, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. I'm sure Dana will find a way to disagree with this non-Mormon source you have pasted :)
A non-Mormon source doesn't always equal being right either. The man gave his opinion, that is all.

Marysville, CA

#22930 Apr 2, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You can twist this all you want. You have proved yourself incorrect. So twist it back on me all you want and you will remain incorrect by doing so.
You pointed out bishops and deacons were required to be the husband of one wife. That is all the NT verifies of the disciples given offices that were required to be the husband of one wife, deacons and bishops. I even agreed.
What you don't appreciate is the fact that other disciples holding other offices weren't given any specifics for marital status to hold an office. So that leaves open the possibility of a disciple having polygamous marital status while being an apostle, prophet, etc.
And it's your logic that's established that possibility, not mine. And you can't stand that it's your reasoning behind it. lol...you can't win for winning or losing to your own reasoning...
And having any office that requires having only one wife to be known as blameless shows that God doesn't approve of polygamy, he may allow it, but he doesn't approve of it.

Marysville, CA

#22932 Apr 2, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
No he didn't. Jesus never said in an answer..."She will belong to none of those husbands because a mortal marriage doesn't exist or continue on into the next life." And that is what you're trying to make it sound like that Jesus said for an answer.
Lie to yourself all you want. Jesus didn't answer their question.
Jesus didn't say their would be no marriages in the next life. Never said any such thing except to your twisted thinking.
Jesus said there would be NO MARRYING. Do you know what NO MARRYING means? If you walk past a church and a sign reads on the door "NO MARRYING HERE" would you understand it? If you went to Las Vegas and went to a very famous marriage chapel there and on the door it had a sign "NO MORE MARRYING HERE" would you be able to comprehend that message? Or would you need someone to explain to you that the sign meant that famous chapel doesn't preform marriages there any more hmm?
Jesus said there would be no giving in marriage. Do you know what it means to be given in marriage in just our time? I do. I have female relatives that were given in marriage by their fathers to the groom. It's a custom/tradition that shows the father of the daughter is in agreement to the marriage. He proves this by giving away his daughter in a symbolic manner. Sometimes when a father isn't there to do it, someone else will be asked to give the bride away.
Thus what Jesus said had absolutely not a thing to do with if marriages in this life would extend into the next life.
But you'll make up twisted lies to believe and why? Jesus never stated what you claim he did. All you give is an inaccurate opinion.
There will be no marrying or given in marriage because there will be no people living in marriage. People in this life get married and live together married, in the next life they won't. That is why they will not be marrying. If God was going to keep people married in the next life, he would certainly also allow people to marry. Why would he have one without the other? Doesn't make sense. He clearly answered the question. Even some of the people there said so.

Marysville, CA

#22933 Apr 2, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
He never made any such claim. Maybe in your twisted thinking but not in his words.
A clear plain statement is twisted thinking. You silly claim he didn't answer them is. You make Jesus out to be an idiot.

They asked him a question about the resurrection and marriage, he gave them an answer about the resurrection and marriage.

Reeds Spring, MO

#22934 Apr 2, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>A non-Mormon source doesn't always equal being right either. The man gave his opinion, that is all.
I think in all fairness, that is what we are all doing. Giving our opinion.
Seriously

Hyattsville, MD

#22935 Apr 2, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy,

Nuff said! And, we didn't even need your monicer to notice either.
gommom

Pittsburgh, PA

#22936 Apr 2, 2013
youtube.com/watch...
Ugly got awesome

Ozark, MO

#22937 Apr 2, 2013
Seriously wrote:
Livinginthelandofcrazy,

Nuff said! And, we didn't even need your monicer to notice either.
You're telling me...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Television Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 48 min John-K 313,706
News Michael Jackson broke down racial barriers (Jun '09) 9 hr Spotted Wee 1,565
News So Long Teutuls! American Chopper Cancelled By ... (Nov '12) 14 hr Mikey wannabe 41
News sean_sullivan 19 hr Rev Cash Dollar 2
News Sources: KTVK drops 'Good Morning Arizona' pers... (Mar '09) 23 hr Augie 1,126
News President Trump asserts immunity against defama... Wed To Stupid 3
News Wayne Dawson (Oct '09) Wed Shemp 161
More from around the web