Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

Who says Mormons aren't Christians?

There are 32007 comments on the CNN story from Oct 12, 2011, titled Who says Mormons aren't Christians?. In it, CNN reports that:

Editor's note: Dean Obeidallah is an award-winning comedian who has appeared on TV shows such as Comedy Central's "Axis of Evil" special, ABC's "The View," CNN's "What the Week" and HLN's "The Joy Behar Show." He is executive producer of the annual New York Arab-American Comedy Festival and the Amman Stand Up Comedy Festival.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

“Too much LDS in the 60's”

Since: Sep 10

Marysville, CA

#22772 Mar 28, 2013
Livinginthelandofcrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Because she was married according to the Law of Moses, a lesser law, meaning her marriages were for this life only. So, at the death of her husband(s), her marriage(s) ended. She was no longer bound by the lesser law. That's why "she" would be "like an angel." Because she would not have the opportunity to be married again in the resurrection. Her opportunity was for this life only.
Why didn't he teach them the higher law then? And if a person who dies under the law of Moses are like the angels, why are Mormons doing works for the dead for them? Why doesn't he give one verse that tells us that eternal marriage is required for our salvation? In Mormonism you only receive the greatest gifts if you temple married. Wouldn't Jesus want us all to have his best?

When Joseph Smith created the LDS church, on of the first things he did was talk about building temples, and did build one beginning in Kirtland. Every time the Saints were forced to move after, one of the first things Smith did was pick a temple lot. This is showing how essential the LDS church thinks temple work is to the followers.

Yet you have not one record of the early church talking about the need to do temple work. You may say that is because they already had a temple in Jerusalem. But then you have a problem. The gentile members would not have been allowed in that temple. That would require that the early church would build their own to met the needs of all the members. Yet they made no effort to build one. They never talked about the need to have one. There is no talk of temple endowments or it's need.

Yet Mormonism is suppose to be a restoration of that church. What happened?

Since: Sep 12

Vanzant, MO

#22773 Mar 28, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>Why didn't he teach them the higher law then? And if a person who dies under the law of Moses are like the angels, why are Mormons doing works for the dead for them? Why doesn't he give one verse that tells us that eternal marriage is required for our salvation? In Mormonism you only receive the greatest gifts if you temple married. Wouldn't Jesus want us all to have his best?

When Joseph Smith created the LDS church, on of the first things he did was talk about building temples, and did build one beginning in Kirtland. Every time the Saints were forced to move after, one of the first things Smith did was pick a temple lot. This is showing how essential the LDS church thinks temple work is to the followers.

Yet you have not one record of the early church talking about the need to do temple work. You may say that is because they already had a temple in Jerusalem. But then you have a problem. The gentile members would not have been allowed in that temple. That would require that the early church would build their own to met the needs of all the members. Yet they made no effort to build one. They never talked about the need to have one. There is no talk of temple endowments or it's need.

Yet Mormonism is suppose to be a restoration of that church. What happened?
You need to remember, the Sadducees were trying to trick Jesus with their question. They did not believe in the resurrection and basing their question on that belief was the entrapment. Jesus didn't fall for it. So, Jesus answered their question according to the lower law. As if they ought to know it since they were living it.

I think you already know the answer to the temple work. Since there is no marrying in the resurrection, and none will be given in marriage, that work is done for those who have passed on without the opportunity here vicariously. Now, I'm not expecting you to believe me. I'm just explaining, and attempting to answer your question. The fact is, I believe as you. That since you were married according to man's law (a lower law), in death your marriage will end also. You too will "be like the angels" living singularly for all eternity.

Marysville, CA

#22774 Mar 28, 2013
<quoted text>
You need to remember, the Sadducees were trying to trick Jesus with their question. They did not believe in the resurrection and basing their question on that belief was the entrapment. Jesus didn't fall for it. So, Jesus answered their question according to the lower law. As if they ought to know it since they were living it.
I think you already know the answer to the temple work. Since there is no marrying in the resurrection, and none will be given in marriage, that work is done for those who have passed on without the opportunity here vicariously. Now, I'm not expecting you to believe me. I'm just explaining, and attempting to answer your question. The fact is, I believe as you. That since you were married according to man's law (a lower law), in death your marriage will end also. You too will "be like the angels" living singularly for all eternity.
But where did Jesus ever teach a higher law of marriage?

Vanzant, MO

#22775 Mar 28, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>But where did Jesus ever teach a higher law of marriage?
He certainly wasn't teaching it to the arrogant Sadducees. However, that's not to say he wasn't teaching it. For example, in verse 29, Christ says, "Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God." What scriptures did he have in mind? Where is it written in the Old Testament that marriages do not continue in heaven? And how is the power of God made manifest by ending the marriage between a man and a woman who have lived their lives together, and who loved each other. In fact, the New Testament says exactly the opposite. In 1 Corinthians 11:11, Paul says:

Nevertheless, neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, "in the Lord."
which certainly sounds like an eternal principle is being taught. Moreover, Jesus says, in Mark 10:8-9,

And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
The Bible teaches us that the power of God unites. There is no mention anywhere of death changing anything; no "till death do you part." It is man's interpretation who insists on separating married couples.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#22776 Mar 28, 2013
Seriously

Washington, DC

#22777 Mar 28, 2013
<quoted text> Now, I'm not expecting you to believe me...
I'm SO glad you clarified that because I would NEVER believe you or one of your prophets over God Himself. His Word is law - not man made as your church has so purposely done over the years. How often does it change anyway? I can count about 10 MAJOR doctrinal changes (and splits) in your church since it's founding. What happened? God NEVER changes. Please allow me ...

There is NO MARRIAGE in Heaven at all between male/female - lower law, higher law, temple or whatever. NO MARRIAGE. The only "marriage" is Christ and His Bride, the Church. All the rituals in the world will not cause your marriages to be eternal. When God says it, you can take it to the bank. There is no marriage in Heaven.
Seriously

Washington, DC

#22778 Mar 28, 2013
In 1 Corinthians 11:11 Paul is talking about man and woman's earthly union - not Heavenly. There is no marriage in Heaven.

Vanzant, MO

#22779 Mar 28, 2013
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>I'm SO glad you clarified that because I would NEVER believe you or one of your prophets over God Himself. His Word is law - not man made as your church has so purposely done over the years. How often does it change anyway? I can count about 10 MAJOR doctrinal changes (and splits) in your church since it's founding. What happened? God NEVER changes. Please allow me ...

There is NO MARRIAGE in Heaven at all between male/female - lower law, higher law, temple or whatever. NO MARRIAGE. The only "marriage" is Christ and His Bride, the Church. All the rituals in the world will not cause your marriages to be eternal. When God says it, you can take it to the bank. There is no marriage in Heaven.
You would have made a great Sadducee. You've stated your opinion, and you're welcome to it. As I said earlier, I am in agreement with you. You will be "like an angel," living singularly throughout all eternity. Enjoy it...

Vanzant, MO

#22780 Mar 28, 2013
Seriously wrote:
In 1 Corinthians 11:11 Paul is talking about man and woman's earthly union - not Heavenly. There is no marriage in Heaven.
What I find extremely funny is that most Christians, especially Protestants, believe they will be reunited with their spouses upon death. They don't even share your limited view.
Seriously

Washington, DC

#22781 Mar 28, 2013
<quoted text>What I find extremely funny is that most Christians, especially Protestants, believe they will be reunited with their spouses upon death. They don't even share your limited view.
What "most Christians" are you talking about? MOST Christians know there will be no marriage in Heaven - not for you, not for me, not for anyone married anywhere, by anyone, under any law. That is nothing more than made-up doctrine (not scriptural at all!) and lots of wishful thinking BY MAN! God's Word (the only one that matters) clearly states that the Church (made up only of those who believe in the real Jesus) will be His Bride. That's it, Buster, the only "marriage" of any type in Heaven. You cannot show me ONE verse in the Old or the New Testament that indicates marriage is eternal. Don't you think it would be an important enough issue that were it so, it would have deserved at least an "honorable mention" in the Bible? The BOM is MAN MADE - and not Holy Spirit inspired. Your original "prophet" was a lunatic. His past was very shady and his "revelations" are no longer even practiced in the very church he founded? Wow.
Seriously

Washington, DC

#22782 Mar 28, 2013
<quoted text>...You will be "like an angel," living singularly throughout all eternity. Enjoy it...
Oh, and by the way, SO WILL YOU!

Vanzant, MO

#22783 Mar 28, 2013
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>What "most Christians" are you talking about? MOST Christians know there will be no marriage in Heaven - not for you, not for me, not for anyone married anywhere, by anyone, under any law. That is nothing more than made-up doctrine (not scriptural at all!) and lots of wishful thinking BY MAN! God's Word (the only one that matters) clearly states that the Church (made up only of those who believe in the real Jesus) will be His Bride. That's it, Buster, the only "marriage" of any type in Heaven. You cannot show me ONE verse in the Old or the New Testament that indicates marriage is eternal. Don't you think it would be an important enough issue that were it so, it would have deserved at least an "honorable mention" in the Bible? The BOM is MAN MADE - and not Holy Spirit inspired. Your original "prophet" was a lunatic. His past was very shady and his "revelations" are no longer even practiced in the very church he founded? Wow.
I stated which most Christians, and how'd you know my name was Buster???

Vanzant, MO

#22784 Mar 28, 2013
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, and by the way, SO WILL YOU!
No I won't, and just because you say so doesn't make it true. I do not share your limited view, if you haven't noticed...

“Good day to you!”

Earth

#22786 Mar 28, 2013
NoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
"you can't get to first class heaven if you believe in equality" ask them about that, please.
Believing in equality today as the far left uses the terminology, it just means to them you no longer have a right to an opinion that goes against how the far left demands that you should be thinking as they command it or else they'll judge and brand a person with an opposing opinion as a discriminating prejudicial bigot.
You and Dana are prime examples of this force fed ideology.

Location hidden

#22787 Mar 28, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Believing in equality today as the far left uses the terminology, it just means to them you no longer have a right to an opinion that goes against how the far left demands that you should be thinking as they command it or else they'll judge and brand a person with an opposing opinion as a discriminating prejudicial bigot.
It means you get to sit in the closet with the Klan

Location hidden

#22788 Mar 28, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
Your "opinion is hateful, harmful and hurts humanity. People are sick of your "opinion. Go hide somewhere and keep condemning yourself.
http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2013/03/gays-cra...

“Truth Seeker ”

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#22789 Mar 28, 2013
Mormons should take a few minutes to check out this earth shattering revelation in Mormonism.

^^ Youtube video is about 3 minutes

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Real-Churc...

^^Interesting Facebook page to check out too

Marysville, CA

#22791 Mar 28, 2013
<quoted text>
He certainly wasn't teaching it to the arrogant Sadducees. However, that's not to say he wasn't teaching it. For example, in verse 29, Christ says, "Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God." What scriptures did he have in mind? Where is it written in the Old Testament that marriages do not continue in heaven? And how is the power of God made manifest by ending the marriage between a man and a woman who have lived their lives together, and who loved each other. In fact, the New Testament says exactly the opposite. In 1 Corinthians 11:11, Paul says:
Nevertheless, neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, "in the Lord."
which certainly sounds like an eternal principle is being taught. Moreover, Jesus says, in Mark 10:8-9,
And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
The Bible teaches us that the power of God unites. There is no mention anywhere of death changing anything; no "till death do you part." It is man's interpretation who insists on separating married couples.
Commandments on how we are to conduct ourselves in this life doesn't mean a marriage would be eternal. The fact that the early church didn't build temples show they didn't do sealings. Sealings can only be done in temples and endowment houses according to Mormonism. The early church had neither. Paul taught it is better to be single if you are capable to better serve the Lord just before the verses you quoted. If eternal marriage was part of God's plan, he would have made it more plain to the believer, the church would have done anything it could to make it available to the members, yet this was not the message that the Apostles were giving. You can not find the Plan of Salvation being taught in the New Testament.

West Plains, MO

#22792 Mar 28, 2013
Dana Robertson wrote:
<quoted text>Commandments on how we are to conduct ourselves in this life doesn't mean a marriage would be eternal. The fact that the early church didn't build temples show they didn't do sealings. Sealings can only be done in temples and endowment houses according to Mormonism. The early church had neither. Paul taught it is better to be single if you are capable to better serve the Lord just before the verses you quoted. If eternal marriage was part of God's plan, he would have made it more plain to the believer, the church would have done anything it could to make it available to the members, yet this was not the message that the Apostles were giving. You can not find the Plan of Salvation being taught in the New Testament.
I disagree. Commandments are given to us in this life in order to prepare us for the eternities. What would be the purpose of us to marry in this life only to spend the eternities singularly?
I've attempted to make it as plain as possible as I understand it. I will give another example.

Mark 10:2-9
"And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.
And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you?
And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.
And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.
But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.
For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;
And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."

The Pharisees were asking Jesus if it's okay to divorce and Jesus teaches them that marriage was, in fact, God's plan from the foundation of the world. Jesus teaches that divorce is man's creation, not God's. Jesus goes on and teaches that what God has joined together should not be split. So let me understand, those that believe in "till death do you part." God is completely anti-divorce on Earth, but He endorses universal divorce in Heaven? I didn't think God was so inconsistent. What happened to God's will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven?
I believe that God is not inconsistent, and He's not pro-heavenly divorce. When couples are married and sealed in God's temple by authority of God's priesthood then it is God that is joining the man and woman together; and what God has joined together will not be put asunder on Earth or in Heaven.
Father overtime

United States

#22793 Mar 28, 2013
If you feel that you need to limit your faith by a bible written by hundreds of men hundreds of years ago hundreds of years after Jesus lived with plenty of room for error, go for it.

I'll take a prophet that saw God and Jesus side by side with an actual history written on this continent, and translated recently than a bible that for all I know, was written by a pope that hungered for power and greed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Television Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 33 min Brian_G 310,329
News Man says he petted zoo cougars after calling 'H... 50 min middleman1 17
News Huckabee gets Fox facetime before debate rankings 12 hr Enter 3
News Emily Osment on Life After Hannah Montana and Y... (Jun '14) 14 hr diana 8
News Questions Follow Miracle Birth of Octuplets (Feb '09) Thu Litter farts 24
News Ex-NAACP leader: 'I identify as black' Wed private guy 20
News Doctor Who Star Says A Woman Should Definitely ... Wed Schade 1
More from around the web