'Hatfields & McCoys' Tom Berenger: 'They are a bunch of hillbillies that went at each other'

May 28, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Zap2it.com

Deep in the woods outside of Bucharest, Romania, the sun sets early over bare trees.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of157
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Stan and Kyle

Madison, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Any opinions?
Cheif Sitinfullofit

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Judged:

Staying tuned ! watching that deep dark hillbilly justice . When men were men we don't forgive very easy .
Bored

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Judged:

Try to remember as time before TV, Radio, the internet...Recreation challenged area even back them. I mean really they really did not have much else to do but feud...

Then again if they had had topix the feud would have been worse.....lol
sad

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Judged:

....filmed in Romania to save money........promoted to death by the History Chanel. While the economy in Ky/Wv lags the HC profits.
Holler Mayhem

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Judged:

well has fer i can tell things ain't changed much around "cheer" . youan's steel my hog i burn you're house down and shoot yer dog .
Holler Mayhem

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Holler Mayhem wrote:
well has fer i can tell things ain't changed much around "cheer" . youan's steel my hog i burn you're house down and shoot yer dog .
heer that in a movie once prety good ain't it thunk it wus unfergiven
NicB

Plantersville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Judged:

Their reasoning for not using Appalachia was the power lines and buildings? Nonsense.

The idea that Kentucky and WV aren't quite rural enough is just laughable.

They simply needed to save a few dollars because they hired on the A-string actors(maybe in 1992, if you ask me) and couldn't justify expanding the budget.

It's embarrassing. That's no insult to Romania, I think it's a lovely place, but it isn't quite like Appalachia as far as the climate and geography, and I can tell that everything on the show feels slightly "off".

It's the principle of the matter. It's like filming a miniseries about the early settling of Australia and using the south of Spain for filming to save a few dollars. Ridiculous.
Devil Anse

Poca, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Judged:

Well I have to say the show was entertaining and kept my attention which is something most of the new shows can not do. I agree with Nic B that it deluted the film by not using Appalachia as the backdrop it would have gave it much more appeal, however the money probably guided the decision to film in another country since they used "A" List stars.
well

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

Judged:

devil ance was a deserter ?
Appalachia Mts

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

Judged:

sad wrote:
....filmed in Romania to save money........promoted to death by the History Chanel. While the economy in Ky/Wv lags the HC profits.
I noticed them mountains did not look like the ones that I look up to from my Holler. The area here could have used the economic boost, the local business as well as people with the natural language from that time or near it that could have been extra's. At least they did not portray us as the backward hillbilly's as most films on the area does..a little more true to the actual dress and speech of the time..
The Reason

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

Judged:

The reason they didn't use the actual region where the feud took place was Mountain Top Removal and Strip mining. The area is just a shell of it's former self because of the coal corporations.

At least the film did not refer to us as "a bunch of Hillbilly's" as the poster of this thread did in the title. You can't find anyone with enough sense in this area to do an accurate piece from that period. People here are to ignorant now and allow themselves to be called hillbilly's and I would not trust this bunch around a period correct film such as this either. It is a good thing they took it away from here so the politicians did not make a pro coal film out of it and have themselves as the leading characters...
The Moral of the Story

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

Judged:

the moral of the story is the same as it is today. A friggin lawyer will mess over you and they cause most of the countries problems. Devil Anse could have saved himself and the whole area a lot of grief if he had shot Perry Cline when he tried to steal his timber..the trouble was always spurred on by this shyster after he lost his bid for the ol mans timber. He is the one that kept draggin stuff into court and keeping the feud stirred up.

so the moral of the story is, "when in doubt" shoot the lawyer first. Most times that will end the problem right then and there!
McCoy Man

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

Judged:

I met Bill Paxton while he was here in Pikeville. He visited before going Romania and I showed him around town. He's a really nice guy. We went over and he wanted to see the old McCoy house and we ate at Chirico's and looked inside. He was pleasantly surprised that it was a busy little Italian restaurant and not a museum. I think they did a good job with the movie and script.
Took a Rebel Stand

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

Judged:

You have to remember that this generation was just one generation removed from old Virginia where a lot of them come in here from. Their extended family was in Virginia and so was their loyalty as Virgina was more thier country to them than the Federal Governement, states rights was a big issue then. A lot of people did not trust a Federal government controlling every aspect of their lives, still don't. As we were a border state and in between the North and the south it was particularly ugly in this region. We had people here that come in from the Ohio region and other parts north as well and there their sentiment layed with the North. Confederate raiders coming in an even forced subscription and the North doing the same thing..
I had a member of my family come back from the fight before the war was over. He fought for the south but was not soldier material for either side.
He was a logger and run timber down to Cattlesburg and was know to be a rough character on the riverboats ride back, always fighting and a real terror when he was drunk.
He hit an officer in the confederate army and in those days that was a firing squad offense. He ended up running back home and spent the rest of the war hiding out with both the Confederates and the Union looking for him. He was known to be a good fighter and brave enough in battle but undisciplined and did not take orders well.
Not Joe Backus

Harper Woods, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

Judged:

Eye thought this was a very entertaining storeyline. I will be watching the next two nights.
Sweet Lips

Whitesburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

Judged:

Watched it last night I enjoyed the show cant wait to see it next time it comes back on.
Wish they had actally filmed it here though.The actors they got also seem to be doing a good job.
Would have been good to see if they could have got a few locals to be in the show as well.Sometimes on their drawl I think its a bit lingering out.
wvsky

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

Judged:

Devil Anse wrote:
Well I have to say the show was entertaining and kept my attention which is something most of the new shows can not do. I agree with Nic B that it deluted the film by not using Appalachia as the backdrop it would have gave it much more appeal, however the money probably guided the decision to film in another country since they used "A" List stars.
I agree, I thought it was entertaining and I'm looking forward to the next 2.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

Judged:

I agree Sweet, it is hard to replicate a southern accent, especially to a southerner's ears. I am enjoying the miniseries, even with it's flaws it is showing both sides and the good and bad of each side.
Just the way it was

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

Judged:

Those people lived by the feud, much more clannish than people are today! It was a time when survival was hard and you depended on your family more than the government to make it in this tough environment. When you killed a member of a mans family his whole family would come after you. The survival of the individual had been dependent for centuries upon the survival of the clan and never more so than in this wilderness called southern Appalachia in those times.

It is a hard concept to understand in modern times but in those days you lived and died by it...Life was cheap on the Tug Fork in those days because it was not only the clans themselves but the friends of the feuding clans from other well known Pike County and Mingo County family names..No one knows how many actually died during that violent time in our history because it involved not only the Hatfield and McCoys but the intermarried clans they married into. Of course politics and alcohol added to the mix did not help..
Just so Glad

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

Judged:

They did not have the theme music from the movie Deliverance in this one, or the Banjo Picker for that matter. The stolen hog scene was OK as long as no one had to squeal like a pig!...lol

No more Dueling Banjo's in East Ky. Movies!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of157
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••