"Sex and the City" screwed up my sex life

Jul 25, 2013 Full story: Salon 12

I finally got to watch my first episode of "Sex and the City" in 2002 on a family vacation in a hotel with premium cable.

Full Story

“Depravity abounds...”

Since: Mar 13

Orlando, FL

#1 Jul 25, 2013
I guess this is why all good parents teach their children that TV is not real... a shame hers did not.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#2 Jul 25, 2013
TwistedHubby wrote:
I guess this is why all good parents teach their children that TV is not real... a shame hers did not.
You mean Spongebob really doesn't live in a pineapple under the sea?!

This changes everything.

“Depravity abounds...”

Orlando, FL

#3 Jul 25, 2013
Yes sadly its true. I first figured it out when I tried acting like the people from The Office at work and got fired for it.

My lawsuit against the show's producer's for inaccurately portraying reality and causing me pain & suffering for it is still pending.

If the cognitive dissonance you are now experiencing because of that evil cartoon's misrepresentation is giving you grief, I know an opportunistic attorney that caters to retards like us that I could put you in touch with.

Location hidden

#4 Jul 25, 2013
TwistedHubby wrote:
I know an opportunistic attorney that caters to retards like us that I could put you in touch with.
I'm holding out to see if Matlock will take my case first but thanks.

“bcs her name is Pinky Pie!”

Hmm Twinkle Twinkle little...

#5 Jul 25, 2013
I never watched that yet.. My little pony is for the win :D

“Depravity abounds...”

Orlando, FL

#6 Jul 25, 2013
Apatheist wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm holding out to see if Matlock will take my case first but thanks.
Can't blame you, he was my first choice also. I thought I had sent him an offer he couldn't refuse, but he only responded with comments about me being a sick horse murderer.

I guess showbiz lied to me again !!
scott

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Jul 25, 2013
this will screw up your sex life too, haah

ERIC CARTMAN

United States

#8 Jul 25, 2013
Only a moron has a t v show giving them a outlook at life
achyfi

Arlington, MA

#10 Jul 25, 2013
Children and teenagers have three primary sources of learning about human behavior: their parents, their peers, and the media. Their parents and peers may not always be willing or able to communicate effectively about sex and romance, but unfortunately, TV and movies provide a ceaseless stream of such communication.

Perhaps if the author's parents, instead of merely insisting their daughter cover her eyes during the vibrator scenes, had talked with her about the show and how it glamorized many things compared to real life, she could have avoided some confusion and disappointment.

Television loves to show us wealthy, attractive single people who always seem to live in New York City or L.A.- probably because that's where screenwriters move to to pursue their careers. They glamorize life in the big city in order to validate their own journeys and illustrate the lifestyle they themselves hope to lead. To show the warts that really accompany life in NYC or LA is to call into question their own life choices, which they would really rather not do.

Similarly, TV and movies portray people as having lots of sex all the time, creating an unrealistic expectation for young people and making them think there's something wrong with them if they aren't.

“Depravity abounds...”

Orlando, FL

#11 Jul 26, 2013
Very good post achyfi, totally agree with all of it.
Dan

Chambersburg, PA

#12 Jul 26, 2013
Sarah Jessica Parker is fugly as sin.

Since: Dec 13

London, UK

#15 Dec 25, 2013
Im ranj51 divorce and from eastlondon do not have sex life , is there any female wants to be my friend and have sex sometimes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Television Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 20 min The world is waiting 306,971
'Duck Dynasty' wine: Will Bible Belt fans approve? (Nov '13) 1 hr David 297
Are ghosts real? (Dec '07) 2 hr Ste 180
Police: Fernley mother stabbed sleeping son (Nov '10) 3 hr truthmongerdotinfo 8
Comedian Margaret Cho to headline at San Jose I... 5 hr Donovan 15
Catholic Charities refuses to place children wi... (Jun '11) 5 hr nOgOd 1,229
Duck Dynasty's Al Robertson: Gay Marriage, Poly... 6 hr Deb Hart-Poindexter 1
More from around the web