Gay and lesbian characters are poppin...

Gay and lesbian characters are popping up on shows for young people

There are 25 comments on the KSPR story from Jan 2, 2011, titled Gay and lesbian characters are popping up on shows for young people. In it, KSPR reports that:

As it becomes more common for teenagers to realize - and then tell others - that they are gay or lesbian, there is also a growing number of teen characters on TV programs geared toward teens going through the same thing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KSPR.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“You'll love me!”

Since: Sep 10

I promise.

#1 Jan 3, 2011
Instead of a token black, we now have a token gay. I'm so sick of seeing the same tired stories. It's like, gay characters are their sexuality and nothing else. If they're lucky, they might be the cheerleader's fashionable and snarky sidekick.

They can't ever be a really good football player or an artist who just happens to be gay, they have to be a struggling and tormented soul that faces discrimination at practically every turn. They are always either very stereotypical, or completely messed up. Everything is always so freaking tragic and depressing. A little optimism would be nice every now and then.

Some of the few gay characters that have ever broken the mold in my opinion are David and George from "The War Boys" and Zach and Shaun from "Shelter." I want to see a normal, everyday, gay character. I want to see a gay storyline where the character's sexuality isn't the biggest draw. I don't think I'm asking for too much.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#3 Jan 3, 2011
Coy91 wrote:
Instead of a token black, we now have a token gay. I'm so sick of seeing the same tired stories. It's like, gay characters are their sexuality and nothing else. If they're lucky, they might be the cheerleader's fashionable and snarky sidekick.
They can't ever be a really good football player or an artist who just happens to be gay, they have to be a struggling and tormented soul that faces discrimination at practically every turn. They are always either very stereotypical, or completely messed up. Everything is always so freaking tragic and depressing. A little optimism would be nice every now and then.
Some of the few gay characters that have ever broken the mold in my opinion are David and George from "The War Boys" and Zach and Shaun from "Shelter." I want to see a normal, everyday, gay character. I want to see a gay storyline where the character's sexuality isn't the biggest draw. I don't think I'm asking for too much.
It will come.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#4 Jan 3, 2011
Degrassi has 2 gay male characters, 18 years old, and both on the football team, and an f-t-m trans character who is 16 ears old. They're integreal characters and continuing storylines, not just one time appearances. Degrassi is a teen show that has had a number of gay characters over the years.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#5 Jan 3, 2011
And "The Simpsons" (The GREATEST show in tv history), has a number of gay and lesbian characters over the years including 2 regular characters.
fedupwiththemess

Ashburn, VA

#6 Jan 3, 2011
Of course they are. Trying to convince the young that homosexuality is normal. Its not.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#8 Jan 3, 2011
fedupwiththemess wrote:
Of course they are. Trying to convince the young that homosexuality is normal. Its not.
For a significant amount of people, it IS normal.

(DEMOCRATS are abnormal.)

“Ask God for his ID card.”

Secular Reality

#9 Jan 3, 2011
I've noticed that too. It's a good sign of hope that society is progressing and the focus on this issue, which should really be a non-issue, is coming to an end.
fedupwiththemess wrote:
You know, broken records are best thrown away, not reused and played again.

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#10 Jan 3, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
For a significant amount of people, it IS normal.
(DEMOCRATS are abnormal.)
The hypocrite speaks again on the very subject that proved him to be a liar!
fedupwiththemess

Ashburn, VA

#11 Jan 3, 2011
Trying to brainwash the young into thinking perverted behavior is normal...

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#12 Jan 3, 2011
fedupwiththemess wrote:
Just trying to teach them that they can BE who they are, they should be PROUD of who they are, and that they shouldn't listen to people that like to cry "pervert!" every time they see someone or something different from their own lives. Teaching them that real "brainwashing" comes from allowing their lives to be manipulated to OTHER people's standards.

Honestly, fedup, doesn't labeling everyone get boring? Your bizarre obsession with dehumanize others is the perversion. Eventually, it will be the young people who will educate you, when they tell you that their homosexuality came as a REALIZATION about themselves, rather than from any outside influence.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#13 Jan 3, 2011
And "FRASIER" had a lot of gay characters and gay actors over the years.

“You'll love me!”

I promise.

#14 Jan 3, 2011
fedupwiththemess wrote:
It's a realistic depiction of the population at large. There are gay kids in every high school in America. You can demonize people all you want, but it won't matter in the end. Your kids are growing up next to gay teenagers. Deal with it.

“You'll love me!”

I promise.

#15 Jan 3, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
Degrassi has 2 gay male characters, 18 years old, and both on the football team, and an f-t-m trans character who is 16 ears old. They're integral characters and continuing storylines, not just one time appearances. Degrassi is a teen show that has had a number of gay characters over the years.
More shows should take a hint from Degrassi in my opinion. I grew up watching it and their gay characters have always had depth.

Riley and Zane are great characters and I love them and I'm glad Adam is on the show, but I think Paige and Alex were the greatest characters that Degrassi has ever had. Paige was the overachieving bisexual cheerleader and I think her character was very unique. I want to see more like her.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#16 Jan 3, 2011
Coy91 wrote:
<quoted text>
More shows should take a hint from Degrassi in my opinion. I grew up watching it and their gay characters have always had depth.
Riley and Zane are great characters and I love them and I'm glad Adam is on the show, but I think Paige and Alex were the greatest characters that Degrassi has ever had. Paige was the overachieving bisexual cheerleader and I think her character was very unique. I want to see more like her.
The only reason I watch the show is for Argiris Karras (Riley Stavros). I was worried that they were going to drop his character after this season, but thank fully they're not dropping him. And I'm very interested in what they dow ith the character of Adam. It's a GRAT show.

Were you watching Degrassi when the Joey Jeremiah character was on the show ?

“You'll love me!”

I promise.

#17 Jan 3, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
The only reason I watch the show is for Argiris Karras (Riley Stavros). I was worried that they were going to drop his character after this season, but thank fully they're not dropping him. And I'm very interested in what they dow ith the character of Adam. It's a GRAT show.
Were you watching Degrassi when the Joey Jeremiah character was on the show ?
Joey was before my time. I wasn't even born when he first started at Degrassi. I started watching it at the very beginning of Degrassi: The Next Generation and I try to keep up with the new one but I get so busy with school and stuff I almost always miss it and then I'm scrambling to catch up.

I love Riley and I'm glad that him and Zane have become some of the most central characters, but I feel like his story has already been done. Jack McPhee from Dawson's Creek was the original gay football player and I think my heart will forever belong to Jack. I feel like Riley is kind of an imitation of him but that's just my opinion.

I agree that Adam's storyline is amazing. I think it's interesting and I think his story has been done flawlessly so far. I was afraid that Adam would end up leaving Degrassi after he was attacked in the bathroom but I'm glad that he found acceptance with Eli and Clare.

We're turning this into a Degrassi fan thread I think...
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#18 Jan 3, 2011
Coy91 wrote:
<quoted text>
Joey was before my time. I wasn't even born when he first started at Degrassi. I started watching it at the very beginning of Degrassi: The Next Generation and I try to keep up with the new one but I get so busy with school and stuff I almost always miss it and then I'm scrambling to catch up.
I love Riley and I'm glad that him and Zane have become some of the most central characters, but I feel like his story has already been done. Jack McPhee from Dawson's Creek was the original gay football player and I think my heart will forever belong to Jack. I feel like Riley is kind of an imitation of him but that's just my opinion.
I agree that Adam's storyline is amazing. I think it's interesting and I think his story has been done flawlessly so far. I was afraid that Adam would end up leaving Degrassi after he was attacked in the bathroom but I'm glad that he found acceptance with Eli and Clare.
We're turning this into a Degrassi fan thread I think...
I never heard of Dawson's Creek. If it wasn't for Agiris Karras, i wouldn't watch the show.

Pat Mastroianni played Joey Jeremiah and he was cute as can be !

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003958/

If you go to the above link there is an image of the actor in character as Joey Jeremiah. It's the lower left image with him wearing a hat. The charatcer ALWAYS wore that hat in the series, and there was an episode where he appeared nude in the cafeteria (CUTE butt !:)) wearing only his hat.

“You'll love me!”

I promise.

#19 Jan 3, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
I never heard of Dawson's Creek. If it wasn't for Agiris Karras, i wouldn't watch the show.
Pat Mastroianni played Joey Jeremiah and he was cute as can be !
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003958/
If you go to the above link there is an image of the actor in character as Joey Jeremiah. It's the lower left image with him wearing a hat. The charatcer ALWAYS wore that hat in the series, and there was an episode where he appeared nude in the cafeteria (CUTE butt !:)) wearing only his hat.
Oh my God, Frank. You've never heard of Dawson's Creek!? You're making me nostalgic for the 90's and my youth. I love Dawson's Creek even more than Degrassi. My friends always give me shit for it but I don't care. Dawson's Creek was a trail blazer. They were way ahead of their time.

Jack is my all time favorite. He was played by Kerr Smith and I've had a crush on him since like 2001. In my opinion, Jack's struggle and his coming out is without a doubt one of the most dramatic and touching scenes ever written. I think he's just a really relatable character and you unfortunately don't see many of those these days. I've always loved it because his friendship with Jen is so pure and and like, permanent. No matter what they're going to be together, they're soulmates. I know what that's like and I see a lot of myself in him.

Below is a link to one of his coming out scenes. Spoilers, obviously. I love it though. I think it will stick with me for the rest of my life. Skip to 5:20 if you just want to bypass the prelude to it.

Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#20 Jan 3, 2011
Coy91 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my God, Frank. You've never heard of Dawson's Creek!? You're making me nostalgic for the 90's and my youth. I love Dawson's Creek even more than Degrassi. My friends always give me shit for it but I don't care. Dawson's Creek was a trail blazer. They were way ahead of their time.
Jack is my all time favorite. He was played by Kerr Smith and I've had a crush on him since like 2001. In my opinion, Jack's struggle and his coming out is without a doubt one of the most dramatic and touching scenes ever written. I think he's just a really relatable character and you unfortunately don't see many of those these days. I've always loved it because his friendship with Jen is so pure and and like, permanent. No matter what they're going to be together, they're soulmates. I know what that's like and I see a lot of myself in him.
Below is a link to one of his coming out scenes. Spoilers, obviously. I love it though. I think it will stick with me for the rest of my life. Skip to 5:20 if you just want to bypass the prelude to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =bRNMgO3OCGgXX
I didn't have tv for 9 years in the 90's and the 00's,(by choice), so I may have missed some stuff.
Borrachone

Jonesboro, AR

#21 Jan 3, 2011
Gays?

Better than those stupid vampires. Wait...

Never mind. Most of the vampires are gay, too.

My bad.
Rose

Panorama City, CA

#22 Jan 3, 2011
fedupwiththemess wrote:
Rose's Law:
When morons have no real argument they scream, "But that about the children!?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

90210 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Icons Millions Of Dollars Chi Lites Stolen Trus... (Jun '16) Jun '16 News 4
News X Company (Feb '15) Feb '15 Mary townsend 1
News Jersey Shore: Vinny Guadagnino lands 90210 gues... (Sep '11) Nov '14 faith short 2
News TV Today (Apr '10) Jul '13 Just Me 3
News Prince Michael Jackson makes his acting debut d... (May '13) Jun '13 Truth be Told 10
News America's Next Top Model Cycle 19 Episode 2 Rec... (Sep '12) Sep '12 ANTM viwer 1
News Meet the 'Beverly Hills Nannies' for Cindy Marg... (Jul '12) Jul '12 duane 1
More from around the web