3,290 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Other (explain below)

Okieabroad

Groningen, Netherlands

#10985 Sep 4, 2012
No need to have English as an official language, there never was a need for it in the past. My American ancestors published newpapers and were buried with tombstones written in their native languages and it never hurt or bothered anyone. Today, as an American who lives abroad and knows what it's like to have doors shut in your face because your local language skills aren't as good as the natives... think about it folks before you start drawing such severe lines. I feel proud that I'm from a country where people can come from all over the world and be given a much more equal chance at a good life than in many other countries in the world.
AND, if you make English (American English) the official language for the state of Oklahoma, you are going to have to re-educate over half the population of native Okies who speak only dialect. And hey, maybe we should outlaw accents while we are at it?
Katmandu

United States

#10986 Sep 4, 2012
estilusti wrote:
<quoted text>
You should pick a better insult. The Beard will probably live longer than all of us. They have free health care and those goddamn cigars! We have deep fried Oreos and cool-aid.
But he's not from Cuba he's a texass. He came to Oklahoma for the beautiful ladies and to see how real COWBOYS act. You know texasses they have to keep up appearances.
Go back to your cow patty factories Tenderfoot!
Havana Cuba is his location so why wouldn't some think he was cuban decent or culture? So you don't care for Texans? You spew garbage heifer because cubans have fled in boat loads to escape all the wonders of Cuba.

Dumb broad.

Since: Aug 12

United States

#10987 Sep 4, 2012
Katmandu wrote:
<quoted text>
Havana Cuba is his location so why wouldn't some think he was cuban decent or culture? So you don't care for Texans? You spew garbage heifer because cubans have fled in boat loads to escape all the wonders of Cuba.
Dumb broad.
No need to go all high and mighty on me but I was referring to a person from a previous post not Fidel himself. Take the time to read something before you criticize.

Funny more Haitian and Jamacians have fled to the US in the last ten years than all the Cuban refugees combined in the last 50 years but they are almost always sent back. And this was before the earthquake. I wonder why this is considering their countries are capitalist, hum?

Yes you caught me I don't care for texass or texasses. Call me crazy. Call me exclusive. Call me a OKLAHOMAN but never call me a texass.

I gather your either a texass or a texass lover. If you had read my post you would have remembered what I said about texasses trying to keep up appearances. Especially the part on how texasses come to the MIGHTY STATE OF OKLAHOMA for the beautiful ladies and to see what real cowboys are like. Well texass why are you reading a post about OKLAHOMA?

Shouldn't you be tipping cows right now? Seceding from the Union? Dragging black folks by a pickup truck? Shooting Mexicans at the border? Making another corrupt, stupid and dumb president? I mean LBJ, Bush 1 and then Bush 2! How many times are you texasses going to crap on the world?

Have you noticed every texass president EVER has taken us to war? EVER SINGLE ONE! So do me and my fellow Okies a favor. Keep your texass nose out of OKLAHOMAN business! In other words grown folks are talking shut up!

And we will see you during the RED RIVER WARS.

Oh one more thing I'm man, Tenderfoot.

United States

#10988 Sep 4, 2012
MistyGirl wrote:
Maybe I should have asked about Juan first since he's taken over for big brother, so how is he?
It's Raul.
Katmandu

United States

#10989 Sep 4, 2012
estilusti wrote:
<quoted text>
No need to go all high and mighty on me but I was referring to a person from a previous post not Fidel himself. Take the time to read something before you criticize.
Funny more Haitian and Jamacians have fled to the US in the last ten years than all the Cuban refugees combined in the last 50 years but they are almost always sent back. And this was before the earthquake. I wonder why this is considering their countries are capitalist, hum?
Yes you caught me I don't care for texass or texasses. Call me crazy. Call me exclusive. Call me a OKLAHOMAN but never call me a texass.
I gather your either a texass or a texass lover. If you had read my post you would have remembered what I said about texasses trying to keep up appearances. Especially the part on how texasses come to the MIGHTY STATE OF OKLAHOMA for the beautiful ladies and to see what real cowboys are like. Well texass why are you reading a post about OKLAHOMA?
Shouldn't you be tipping cows right now? Seceding from the Union? Dragging black folks by a pickup truck? Shooting Mexicans at the border? Making another corrupt, stupid and dumb president? I mean LBJ, Bush 1 and then Bush 2! How many times are you texasses going to crap on the world?
Have you noticed every texass president EVER has taken us to war? EVER SINGLE ONE! So do me and my fellow Okies a favor. Keep your texass nose out of OKLAHOMAN business! In other words grown folks are talking shut up!
And we will see you during the RED RIVER WARS.
Oh one more thing I'm man, Tenderfoot.
Your dumb as a sack of potatoes. All refugees flee to america over other countries if you weren't so stupid you would know that. So you are a Obama Mama.

Well that explains just how STUPID and ditzy you are. Enough said,
Okies are smarter than you are so you must be a import from hmmm lets see California or maybe the east coast somewhere like New Jersey they are stupid people too.
Katmandu

United States

#10990 Sep 4, 2012
estilusti wrote:
<quoted text>
It's Raul.
Is it you Raul?...this ditzy girl is a medium...nah she's just a fake like her boobs..LOL
Katmandu

United States

#10991 Sep 4, 2012
Your a man LMFAO. Holy shit you really are a laugh a minute. So you,re a gay dude Okie and you support Obama.

No surprises there LOL

United States

#10992 Sep 4, 2012
Katmandu wrote:
Your a man LMFAO. Holy shit you really are a laugh a minute. So you,re a gay dude Okie and you support Obama.
No surprises there LOL
Does your mommy know your playing on the computer?
SayWhat

United States

#10993 Sep 4, 2012
estilusti wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your mommy know your playing on the computer?
I think he's calling your a girlie boy, heehehehehehe but it's ok don't leave with your feelings hurt. I know you probably get your feeling hurt pretty easy and we don't want you crying over your laptop and shorting it out.

Be a shame if you couldn't post gibberish anymore...NOT! Besides you really look good in pink and purple with that feather boa...lol
Katmandu

United States

#10994 Sep 4, 2012
So you've seen this shemale's picture have you?

Whatever floats your boat.

Since: Sep 12

Groningen, Netherlands

#10995 Sep 5, 2012
adaptordieDARWIN wrote:
<quoted text> in most foreign countries English is their second language like Germany Finland japan
Pffff, live and work in Germany for a month, and I promise you NO ONE will even be willing to help you find an orange in the grocery store unless you can ask for it in GERMAN. It's not that easy in Europe, Japan, I don't have any personal experience there but I tend to doubt that the Japenese would let you live there and not expect you to learn the language.

Oh, by the way, Americans living in Europe have a bad reputation as far as learning the language of the country in which they live. I as an American get all oohhhs and ahhhhhs because when they hear that I'm from the USA they automatically assumme I won't even try to speak their language. That's funny when Americans tend to be very strict inside their own country but when they leave they expect everyone to speak English to them.

Stockton, MO

#10996 Sep 5, 2012
OkieAbroad wrote:
<quoted text>
Pffff, live and work in Germany for a month, and I promise you NO ONE will even be willing to help you find an orange in the grocery store unless you can ask for it in GERMAN. It's not that easy in Europe, Japan, I don't have any personal experience there but I tend to doubt that the Japenese would let you live there and not expect you to learn the language.
Oh, by the way, Americans living in Europe have a bad reputation as far as learning the language of the country in which they live. I as an American get all oohhhs and ahhhhhs because when they hear that I'm from the USA they automatically assumme I won't even try to speak their language. That's funny when Americans tend to be very strict inside their own country but when they leave they expect everyone to speak English to them.
Strange I lived in Wiesbaden, Frankfurt and Meinz Kastel off and on for ten years and what I found surprising is most of the German people spoke English and French quite well and in many cases Turkish (Red-Light District) Polish, Armenian, Yiddish, Arabic, Farsi, Russian and Serbian. In fact Germans are very accommodating when it comes to non-German speakers.

As for having my feelings being hurt, well I'm not only a Okie but also a US ARMY VETERAN- 1st Div. 1st Brig. HHC 1/16 INFANTRY [MECH]. We vets are made of stronger stuff. But I digress what units have you folks served in? We can swap stories about serving our country and being deployed. From Europe and Africa to basic and that long duffle bag drag!
Silver7

United States

#10997 Sep 5, 2012
Every new poster has some angle. What a sad sad lot of arrogant ignorance.

Look farther than exclusivism and you will see the point of making English the official state language. All these tangent arguments (speaking English abroad?) don't have beaing on this question.

This is why America doesn't have an official language even symbolically.

Groningen, Netherlands

#10998 Sep 5, 2012
estilusti wrote:
<quoted text>
Strange I lived in Wiesbaden, Frankfurt and Meinz Kastel off and on for ten years and what I found surprising is most of the German people spoke English and French quite well and in many cases Turkish (Red-Light District) Polish, Armenian, Yiddish, Arabic, Farsi, Russian and Serbian. In fact Germans are very accommodating when it comes to non-German speakers.
As for having my feelings being hurt, well I'm not only a Okie but also a US ARMY VETERAN- 1st Div. 1st Brig. HHC 1/16 INFANTRY [MECH]. We vets are made of stronger stuff. But I digress what units have you folks served in? We can swap stories about serving our country and being deployed. From Europe and Africa to basic and that long duffle bag drag!
I'm not military, I live in The Netherlands (northeastern corner close to Germany) now for 14 years. I sometimes shop in Germany because it's a 10 minute drive for me to the border and I like the fact they have a lot more choice on the shelves than do the Dutch stores. I however do not speak a lot of German, only Nederlands and English. And I find it usually very difficult to shop there because of the language barrier. And what I gave you was my experience in dealing the Germans in the Northwest corner of the country. There are probably local differences and you lived in a completely different area than do I. Germans come across the border very often to Nederland and they speak only German here. I often need to give them directions, which I do in either Dutch or English, they get to choose haha.
Well, I didn't think you would get your feelings hurt, no reason to do so, I'm also not easily offended.

Groningen, Netherlands

#10999 Sep 5, 2012
Silver7 wrote:
Every new poster has some angle. What a sad sad lot of arrogant ignorance.
Look farther than exclusivism and you will see the point of making English the official state language. All these tangent arguments (speaking English abroad?) don't have beaing on this question.
This is why America doesn't have an official language even symbolically.
I'm assuming since you say "new poster" you mean me? Are you telling me that what I'm posting is arrogant and/or ignorant?
You aren't being very clear, maybe you don't want to address the person you are calling names directly?

I don't think we are going to far off topic really.

Give me the reasons why you think there should be an official language in the state? I'd like to hear from you specific details on how this would help immigrants and natives alike. I'm open to discussion and also YOUR opinions whether I agree with them or not.
Sunrise

Fort Worth, TX

#11000 Sep 5, 2012
OkieAbroad wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm assuming since you say "new poster" you mean me? Are you telling me that what I'm posting is arrogant and/or ignorant?
You aren't being very clear, maybe you don't want to address the person you are calling names directly?
Give me the reasons why you think there should be an official language in the state? I'd like to hear from you specific details on how this would help immigrants and natives alike. I'm open to discussion and also YOUR opinions whether I agree with them or not.
If you have a designated official language you only have to print voting ballots, postings at the court house, highway signs and other official printed matter in the official language. It might even extend to language used in public schools and other pubilc places.
SayWhat

United States

#11001 Sep 5, 2012
Guy claims he's a vet but is a total ass about people who are texans. What is that? Does the jerk realize how many vets hail from texas?

Groningen, Netherlands

#11002 Sep 5, 2012
Sunrise wrote:
<quoted text>If you have a designated official language you only have to print voting ballots, postings at the court house, highway signs and other official printed matter in the official language. It might even extend to language used in public schools and other pubilc places.
Sunrise, are you the one and same poster who made the statements I was replying to?

There are road signs printed in a language other than that of Native American or English? There is something to say for preserving history and traditions of the land.
Language on printed materials such as Ballots: I vote absentee, my ballots are always in English and I was never given a choice in the language actually. Which persons gets ballots in any other language? If you print everything in English, that wouldn't change the problem, new immigrants would still need some sort of translation.
Schools: I think all schools should be taught in the English language, I was also not aware of there being any schools in Oklahoma in which class is taught in what... Spanish? I also think more langauges should be taught in school. In that I believe they should be requirements, not electives. What language students or teachers use outside the classroom is their own buisness.
Public Places: Again, anyone working, serving in a public place should be able to speak English anyway, otherwise why and how could they be hired? That should be a given, if it's not, then the problem isn't at the state level.. Employers here would not hire someone for a public job that could not speak Dutch well enough to communicate with the customers.
Outside work, in public places such as shopping areas, whatever, that's an individuals choice as to what language they speak and I don't agree that this should ever be challenged. I speak Dutch to the lady at the store when I'm shopping, but I speak American English with my children who are with me in the store, just as I speak the same with them at home. Everyone should have that freedom. I'm wondering how far this will go in the end.
Sunrise

Fort Worth, TX

#11003 Sep 5, 2012
OkieAbroad wrote:
<quoted text>
Sunrise, are you the one and same poster who made the statements I was replying to?
There are road signs printed in a language other than that of Native American or English? There is something to say for preserving history and traditions of the land.
Language on printed materials such as Ballots: I vote absentee, my ballots are always in English and I was never given a choice in the language actually. Which persons gets ballots in any other language? If you print everything in English, that wouldn't change the problem, new immigrants would still need some sort of translation.
Schools: I think all schools should be taught in the English language, I was also not aware of there being any schools in Oklahoma in which class is taught in what... Spanish? I also think more langauges should be taught in school. In that I believe they should be requirements, not electives. What language students or teachers use outside the classroom is their own buisness.
Public Places: Again, anyone working, serving in a public place should be able to speak English anyway, otherwise why and how could they be hired? That should be a given, if it's not, then the problem isn't at the state level.. Employers here would not hire someone for a public job that could not speak Dutch well enough to communicate with the customers.
Outside work, in public places such as shopping areas, whatever, that's an individuals choice as to what language they speak and I don't agree that this should ever be challenged. I speak Dutch to the lady at the store when I'm shopping, but I speak American English with my children who are with me in the store, just as I speak the same with them at home. Everyone should have that freedom. I'm wondering how far this will go in the end.
I agree with preserving history. I don't live in McCurtain County but I observe items being posted and printed in Spanish most everywhere. I went to my local court house recently and waited in line while a Hispanic lady employee conversed with a Hispanic customer in Spanish. I don't know if the employee was hired for that purpose or just happened to work there. Schools are required to have bilinguel teachers for children that do not speak English at considerable expense to the schools.
Silver7

Oklahoma City, OK

#11005 Sep 5, 2012
OkieAbroad wrote:
<quoted text>
You would be assuming wrong. Estilusty is the one I am commenting about. It should be obvious to anyone that person's comments are snooty and ridiculous.
I won't go over everything again. Reread this thread and you can see my comments if you want.
This goes back and forth every week.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tulsa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Balls of Fire 6 hr Ryan Johnson 1
DHS Workers Speak Out On Agency (Jul '08) 17 hr lynn 1,491
Directv referral code (Aug '12) 17 hr Patti 70
Teenager Robs Tulsa QuikTrip At Knifepoint (Jun '10) Wed carly zane 67
ODOT Workers allowing INDIAN SIGNS to clutter R... Wed Steve Kouplin 2
Carl Michael Ruth, Jr. Tue Ron Johnson 70
Oklahoma Bureau Of Narcotics Holding Crime, Sub... (Jun '10) Dec 16 unknown 15
Tulsa Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web