TPS Removes X-Wave After Wyandotte Pl...

TPS Removes X-Wave After Wyandotte Playground Death

There are 33 comments on the News on 6 Tulsa story from Aug 25, 2010, titled TPS Removes X-Wave After Wyandotte Playground Death. In it, News on 6 Tulsa reports that:

Tulsa Public Schools has removed the only X-Wave playground apparatus on district property.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News on 6 Tulsa.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Eric

New York, NY

#1 Aug 25, 2010
How the hell is that toy any more dangerous than a teeter totter?? It appears LESS dangerous than one. The death was likely an extremely unfortunate head injury, but I don't see how it has anything to do with the toy she was playing on unless it somehow massively sprung back down on her head after she slipped off. In which case if they made the action slower and more controlled somehow maybe that would be a safety improvement they could make.

<speculate speculate>
yoyo

Knoxville, TN

#3 Aug 25, 2010
nice to see a device that can crush someones head on a playground i hope the family gets millions.
yoyo

Knoxville, TN

#4 Aug 25, 2010
Eric wrote:
How the **** is that toy any more dangerous than a teeter totter?? It appears LESS dangerous than one. The death was likely an extremely unfortunate head injury, but I don't see how it has anything to do with the toy she was playing on unless it somehow massively sprung back down on her head after she slipped off. In which case if they made the action slower and more controlled somehow maybe that would be a safety improvement they could make.
<speculate speculate>
the original picture had it low to the ground so if you can imagine someone falling off and getting underneath to have another kids stomp on the low part....thus head injury.
kris

United States

#5 Aug 25, 2010
skiatook is tulsa public school and ours is still being used ......this story is a lie the only one haha
MMB

Edmond, OK

#6 Aug 25, 2010
My heart and prayers go out to this family.

“Veteran US Army/Vietnam War”

Since: May 09

Tulsa, Oklahoma

#7 Aug 25, 2010
kris wrote:
skiatook is tulsa public school and ours is still being used ......this story is a lie the only one haha
Skiatook, Oklahoma is NOT even connected with the Tulsa Public Schools.

Skiatook is in northern Tulsa County.

“Veteran US Army/Vietnam War”

Since: May 09

Tulsa, Oklahoma

#8 Aug 25, 2010
The design of the original X-Wave is a whole lot different from the X-Wave 2 that is shown in the online article picture taken at a Jenks city park.

I wonder why the one in Jenks is so high off the ground.

The original one doesn't look that safe. I did some research on the X-Wave not long after the accident was in the news.

The ol' fashioned teeter-totters at least had above-the-board handles for the child to hold onto while playing on them.

Xccent, the company that makes the equipment in the story, has some very odd looking playground equipment.
downthere

Inola, OK

#9 Aug 25, 2010
I wish we would of had play ground equipment like this when I was a child!

I need to find a playground that has this equipment and play with my grandchildren before the over protective lawyer lover parents mandate helmets and air bags for the play ground.
Disgusted

Tulsa, OK

#10 Aug 25, 2010
Life is not always safe, I guess we need to remove the swing, teeter totter, jungle bars, and we wont be able to drive to the park because Cars have got to go, people get killed in them....
Meh

Broken Arrow, OK

#11 Aug 25, 2010
People cry too much these days over "unsafe" playground equipment. Guess what folks? Life isnt safe. Know what I had back in my childhood days? Lets see steel teeter-totters, chain swings with steel poles as the base, giant jungle-gyms made entirely of steel, random height gymnastics bars, 10 -15 foot high slides, and the ever-so-loathed steel monkey bars with the jaggedy welding bits on the sides. If anyone got a minor injury on one of those it was "suck it up" or "your fine" and you just soldierd on. Nowadays people scream and cry over it and lawsuits get filed as well as equipment being removed, seriously, SUCK IT UP. Talk about creating a generation of weaker human beings ...
beezlbub

Tulsa, OK

#12 Aug 25, 2010
Disgusted wrote:
Life is not always safe, I guess we need to remove the swing, teeter totter, jungle bars, and we wont be able to drive to the park because Cars have got to go, people get killed in them....
careful now..common sense will not be tolerated here
azzwhole

Sand Springs, OK

#13 Aug 25, 2010
dang! were goin have to put kids in a rubber room for them to be safe. also have no playground equipment and only nerf footballs and baseballs.
Blue

Claremore, OK

#14 Aug 26, 2010
that just looked dangerous to me the first time I saw it on the news. For one thing, nothing to hold onto!
David

Tulsa, OK

#15 Aug 26, 2010
kris wrote:
skiatook is tulsa public school...
Umm, no it's not. Skiatook is its very own school district.
David

Tulsa, OK

#16 Aug 26, 2010
Joe Allen Doty in Tulsa wrote:
Skiatook is in northern Tulsa County.
Not all of Skiatook is in Tulsa county.
Comment

Tucson, AZ

#17 Aug 26, 2010
Meh wrote:
People cry too much these days over "unsafe" playground equipment. Guess what folks? Life isnt safe. Know what I had back in my childhood days? Lets see steel teeter-totters, chain swings with steel poles as the base, giant jungle-gyms made entirely of steel, random height gymnastics bars, 10 -15 foot high slides, and the ever-so-loathed steel monkey bars with the jaggedy welding bits on the sides. If anyone got a minor injury on one of those it was "suck it up" or "your fine" and you just soldierd on. Nowadays people scream and cry over it and lawsuits get filed as well as equipment being removed, seriously, SUCK IT UP. Talk about creating a generation of weaker human beings ...
OMG as you serious with a comment like that, what if this had been your child. a young girl died here and your comment is suck it up. I hope someday if you ever had a loss in your family like this you come back here so we can tell you to just suck it up...
David

Tulsa, OK

#18 Aug 26, 2010
Comment wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG as you serious with a comment like that, what if this had been your child. a young girl died here and your comment is suck it up. I hope someday if you ever had a loss in your family like this you come back here so we can tell you to just suck it up...
So you complain about MEH's "suck it up" comment, yet you would have no trouble making the same comment. Really?
kmn1975

Tulsa, OK

#19 Aug 26, 2010
Either way skiatook needs to check out their playground equipment look at all the other stuff they let slip through.

Since: Apr 10

Tulsa, OK

#20 Aug 26, 2010
So, let me see if I got this straight. They take out all of the x-waves before any report comes back that it was the cause of death? Maybe it was just one of those freak accidents. It's like that one actress that went skiing and she fell while on the slopes I believe and hit her head, then a couple of days later dies from the head trauma? Did they ban skiers from skiing over there after that happened since it was their slope?
I feel bad for the family though. I wonder if she had any other past head injuries or health problems that could have contributed?

Since: Apr 10

Tulsa, OK

#21 Aug 26, 2010
::edit on my above post::
The report did come back and it was ruled inconclusive. So they still don't know for sure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tulsa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joy Hofmeister: Oklahoma In The United States? ... Sun GOP Comedy Central 1
Woman Guilty 5 Counts Corpse Mutilation & Okeee... Sat Guest 2
Mayor Bynum Okays: White Man Murder Bond $400,0... Apr 20 Guest 15
Bill O’Reilly Fans Rally Amid Fox News Exit Rep... Apr 20 Liberal OReilly Fan 1
Mary FatFuckFaceFallin: More Prisons & More Tax... Apr 20 Guest 21
Carl Michael Ruth, Jr. (Aug '14) Apr 20 Alvin Boss 307
Need More: Wealthy Tax Cuts and Okee Prisons fo... Apr 18 Leann 20

Tulsa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tulsa Mortgages