New Meningitis Case Raises Concerns, ...

New Meningitis Case Raises Concerns, Questions Among Parents

There are 18 comments on the News on 6 Tulsa story from Apr 21, 2010, titled New Meningitis Case Raises Concerns, Questions Among Parents. In it, News on 6 Tulsa reports that:

Damin Hampton is eastern Oklahoma's latest victim of bacterial meningitis. His mother says it happened fast.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News on 6 Tulsa.

1forshow

Tulsa, OK

#1 Apr 21, 2010
Good job channel 6, for giving us reliable information about this horrible infection and not just the sad stories. I have been wondering about these questions every since the first story broke.
NDNfemale

Tulsa, OK

#2 Apr 21, 2010
The pictures of the little baby are so heartbreaking. My heart goes out to the parents and the baby. My the Creator be with them. I can't imagine the pain they are going through. I have a 2 and a half month old and a 5 year old and want to know what I can do to make sure this doesn't happen to my children? Is a vaccine routinely given? How can I protect my 2 month old?
Meningitis Angels

AOL

#3 Apr 21, 2010
Meningitis Angels Will Celebrate World Meningitis Day, April 24.
Meningitis Angels (MA) a national organization based in the Houston Texas area will host a World Meningitis Day (WMD) event in Oolagah, Oklahoma, Saturday, April 24. at 5:PM. The event will bring Angel families from several other states, community leaders, state legislators and an estimated 1000 people together to celebrate life and educate on meningitis.
Frankie Miley, mother to an only child, Ryan who died with meningitis is the founder and national director of (MA) said,“We were here to assist the community and families in the outbreak. We believe this is the best place we could host this event. We pray it will give the community an opportunity to remember those whose lives were lost, pray for those who are still sick, heal and move forward with peace and prevention of meningococcal disease.“
The whole oologah community is invited to come to the event. There will be special music, free t-shirts for the first 1000 school students, For-Get-Me-Not flower seed packets and mini keychain lights, There will be a memorial light and prayer service for Moua, Thomas, Mitchell, the children who were affected and the community. Kids will get an opportunity to meet the MA bear mascot Beary Wise because he immunizes and the day will end with a huge environment friendly balloon launch.

What parents and students should know:
According to ACIP/CDC children ages (11) years through college freshmen age should be vaccinated against meningococcal meningitis.

Infants and toddlers should be immunized against HIB and pneumococcal meningitis. Those children in daycare and those of American Indian, Eskimo and African American heritage are at a higher risk for some forms of meningitis. Milley said,“There are new vaccines on the horizon. One which will prevent meningococcal disease in infants. According to experts they account for about 30% of the meningococcal cases In the US.”
For more information on meningitis or to contact Milley, visit: http://www.Parent2Parentonmeningitis.com

Please join our cause and feature on your face book profile page. http://apps.facebook.com/causes/103719/359418...
Boogsmom

Tulsa, OK

#4 Apr 22, 2010
I cannot imagine the pain and suffering for anyone in this family. It breaks my heart to see this baby helpless, and as a mom my heart goes out to you all. May God be with you.
Lynni

Atlanta, GA

#5 Apr 22, 2010
As a parent who lost a child to meningococcal meningitis, I'd really like to stress the importance of vaccinating your child. My 20 year old son died, because I didn't know about vaccination. My son had all four limbs amputated, and it still was not enough to save his life. This disease is horrible and is a killer. Please visit the National Meningitis Association web site at www.nmaus.org for more information.
tconnor

Tulsa, OK

#6 Apr 22, 2010
Why should the vaccine not be giving to children between the age 2 through 10? The age of these children that are getting meningitis are in this age group. My daughter is four and it is hard keeping her hands out of her mouth and making sure she washes her hand at her age. Also, for this age group when they do get sick it is almost to late by the time a doctor can diagnose the problem. Most doctors think it is just the flu. There should be a better way to diagnose meningitis than pulling spinal fuild so that doctors can identify it quickly.
Tulsa mom

Tulsa, OK

#7 Apr 22, 2010
what location of eastern ok is this at..And where does it keep coming from? And my prayers go out to this family and child!
so sorry

Tulsa, OK

#8 Apr 22, 2010
I wonder how "at risk" daycare centers are?
Just_wondering

Stillwater, OK

#9 Apr 22, 2010
I would like to know what the meningitis victims' serum level of vitamin D was when they came down with it....
Kathy

Tulsa, OK

#10 Apr 22, 2010
I've contacted my peditrician and the Tulsa County Health Department, they WILL NOT vaccinate kids under the age of 11. We have a 2 year old and am extremely concerned for his well being. Why won't they take precautionary measures? In the time this disease is diagnosed it seems to be late for these precious children.
AJs Mom

Tulsa, OK

#11 Apr 22, 2010
Kathy wrote:
I've contacted my peditrician and the Tulsa County Health Department, they WILL NOT vaccinate kids under the age of 11. We have a 2 year old and am extremely concerned for his well being. Why won't they take precautionary measures? In the time this disease is diagnosed it seems to be late for these precious children.
I've traded a few emails with the reporter of this story, and earlier I spoke with someone at the Oklahoma Immunization Service, a very nice, nice gentleman, that spent 30 minutes with me on the phone and listening to my concerns and such. I share the same concerns as do other parents of my 4 year old son, who will be starting pre-k this fall. The gentleman understood, and agreed with my concerns, and did not fault me for wanting my child to have it. What I was told is, the vaccination can be given to children at a parents request, IF the doctor is willing to do so, if a child receives the vaccination at a younger age, then they may have to have a booster later on. The health department will not give the vaccine unless they are instructed to do so because of an outbreak. I called one of the tribal hospitals, and was told that they do have the vaccine, but are not allowed to give it out either unless the child falls into the high risk category, because of their federal funding. But that a private doctor can provide the vaccination, but will most likely be at the parents' expense as most insurance companies will not cover the cost.

The gentleman also agreed that the two deaths, and the child that had to have the quad-amputation could've been saved if they had the vaccine. The infant unfortunately is too young to receive it. My thought and wonder is, if it could've been prevented if the people around the infant had been vaccinated.

The gentleman also described the history of the HiB vaccine, and how because it was so widespread is why it is now a routine vaccination, and how it's not seen in vaccinated children now.

So, to me, that says that the lives and suffering of a few children here and there are not enough of a good reason to make the vaccine available to save the lives of others, but when there are enough dead, then they'll let them get immunized.

Honestly, I will never understand how a dollar has more value than a life, especially the life of an innocent child.
Local microbiologist

United States

#12 Apr 22, 2010
AJs Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
I've traded a few emails with the reporter of this story, and earlier I spoke with someone at the Oklahoma Immunization Service, a very nice, nice gentleman, that spent 30 minutes with me on the phone and listening to my concerns and such. I share the same concerns as do other parents of my 4 year old son, who will be starting pre-k this fall. The gentleman understood, and agreed with my concerns, and did not fault me for wanting my child to have it. What I was told is, the vaccination can be given to children at a parents request, IF the doctor is willing to do so, if a child receives the vaccination at a younger age, then they may have to have a booster later on. The health department will not give the vaccine unless they are instructed to do so because of an outbreak. I called one of the tribal hospitals, and was told that they do have the vaccine, but are not allowed to give it out either unless the child falls into the high risk category, because of their federal funding. But that a private doctor can provide the vaccination, but will most likely be at the parents' expense as most insurance companies will not cover the cost.
The gentleman also agreed that the two deaths, and the child that had to have the quad-amputation could've been saved if they had the vaccine. The infant unfortunately is too young to receive it. My thought and wonder is, if it could've been prevented if the people around the infant had been vaccinated.
The gentleman also described the history of the HiB vaccine, and how because it was so widespread is why it is now a routine vaccination, and how it's not seen in vaccinated children now.
So, to me, that says that the lives and suffering of a few children here and there are not enough of a good reason to make the vaccine available to save the lives of others, but when there are enough dead, then they'll let them get immunized.
Honestly, I will never understand how a dollar has more value than a life, especially the life of an innocent child.
This is very well written statement of what is really happening. If it happens to enough young children, the recommendation will change. Or if we the parents of these children continue to request or petition that it be changed. I believe in Texas it already has.
Mad Mother Hummer

Broken Arrow, OK

#13 Apr 22, 2010
Oolagah started all this that whole town needs to be quarantined before they kill again.
Boogsmom

Tulsa, OK

#15 Apr 27, 2010
Hey Mad Mother Hummer...or should I just refer to you as HITLER....you really think the entire town of Oolagah is at fault? Please pull your brain out. As a mother you should know that if your child gave another child the flu, would you want them punished or "quarantined"? Seriously...moms like you that have NO compassion for others should NOT be mothers.
Eric

Nottingham, UK

#17 May 16, 2010
Just came across this site. We lost our wonderful grandson, Daniel, two years ago with meningitis. He came home from university for the Christmas break, took ill, and was dead within 36 hours. He was just eighteen years old, played rugby football for Peterborough RUFC and was an all-round sportsman. This tragedy has completely altered our lives. Our daughter and her husband will never fully recover from it. They cry every day. Daniel was a wonderful son and brother.
Hiss memorial website is at www.danielsibley.co.uk if anyone would care to visit.
Our deepest sympathy to all on here who have lost loved ones to this terrible scourge.
God bless you all.
Eric and Rachel Rowland.
Dawn

Tilton, NH

#18 May 26, 2010
While it is a heartbreaking story, I have to remind the public to ask the right questions.....was the baby vaccinated - for ANYTHING? I personally have never heard of an unvaccinated child contracting meningitis which tells me it is CAUSED by vaccines 100% of the time. My brother's life is ruined because he contracted meningitis from the meningitis vaccine. He will be on disability for the rest of his life. Don't be a fool. Do your homework.
philis

Tulsa, OK

#19 Jun 2, 2010
I met Alicia by chance the day she was told her son is now blind. I spent hours with her. She is devastated by her sons amputated legs and blindness. Damien is a beautiful baby with snowy white skin and blue eyes. We met at the Hillcrest hospital playground, she was caring for Alex, her 3 year old daughter. She has only herself, no real support system. Her burden is too severe.
philis

Tulsa, OK

#20 Jun 2, 2010
I also want to add that Alicia Hampton stated, that immediately after she, daughter Alex and Damien received the vaccine for swine flu, they all came down with menengitis and were hospitalized for ten days. But Damien did not recover fully, thus we are having a tragedy.

People:
do not take!!!!!!!!!!
shots unless they have been fully tested for future reference. THEY ARE NOT SAFE!!!!!!!!!
If in the future the government states a shot is mandatory, be skeptical, be very aware.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tulsa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News State attorney general announces crime fighting... 4 hr stipidtexans 9
Reporter Kelly Hines WTF (Oct '16) Fri Jamie Dundee 15
Prostitute Tiffany Friederich Fri Matt Metheny 46
News 'Pioneer Woman,' Pass The Pen (Nov '09) Thu Guest 5
Betty Shelby Having Sex Tonight, Crutcher 6 Fee... Sep 19 Pastor Sharpton 9
News Tulsans Gather At Maple Park For March Against ... Sep 17 indoctrination 1
News Tulsa Man Says Gas Grill Purchased At Lowe's Bu... (Jul '08) Sep 10 Writer of Words 10

Tulsa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Tulsa Mortgages