State Senate Votes For 10 Commandments Monument

Full story: News on 6 Tulsa

The Oklahoma Senate has voted overwhelmingly for a bill to allow a Ten Commandments monument to be placed on the Capitol grounds.
Comments
81 - 100 of 428 Comments Last updated Sep 6, 2011
Tulsa-Mom

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

Judged:

Reasonable Legal Mind wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny. All the "people" who don't agree with your statement are the 1st ones to whine about having to work on CHRISTmas!
LOL Good one!!
Annie

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

Judged:

I wish there was this much interest around the vote to NOT STOP stem cell research in Oklahoma.
If we ban the research, the state looks even more backwards in it's thinking then we ALREADY do!!!
And for all of you who think it is a terrible idea- remember when you have a very sick or dying loved one, just say no, and go about making plans of what your life will be like WITHOUT your loved one.
PLEASE GOVENOR HENRY LET STEM CELL RESEARCH HAPPEN IN OKLAHOMA!!!! WE have some of the finest researcher in this nation- please be part of the solution to the cure of MANY diseases!!!
him

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

Judged:

Tulsa-Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
I would seriously be afraid to compare Jesus Christ to Santa Claus. I'm worried about you hon.
I don't know. They both seem like pretty good guys and are generous. Make people happy. I wouldn't knock either one. Fear will paralyze you.

“PepĂ© & Titan”

Since: Jul 08

Tulsa-Jenks

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

Judged:

<quoted text>
Nope.
Try Reynolds v. US which stated, when simply put, that the "wall of separation" is not to be considered as controlling because Jefferson was not a contributor to the Constitution & it is contained within a private letter - as opposed to an official one - by Jefferson while President. END OF STORY.
http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftri...
That "precedent" wasn't "established until 1947 in a case called Everson v. Board of Education (from an amicus curiae brief by "not-ACLUe") by Justice Hugo black ... an admitted member of the KLAN!!!
You claim to be a reasonable legal mind...if this is true, I do not know. However what I do know is that you are NOT a logical legal mind. You are comparing apples and oranges. Yet still I am compelled to correct you even in your "wrongness".

Reynolds v. United States, 98 U.S. 145 (1878), was a Supreme Court of the United States case that held that religious duty was not a suitable defense to a criminal indictment. George Reynolds was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, charged with bigamy after marrying Amelia Jane Schofield while still married to Mary Ann Tuddenham in Utah Territory.

Before the Supreme Court, Reynolds argued that his conviction for bigamy should be overturned on six issues. These included that his grand jury had not been legal, that challenges of certain jurors were improperly overruled, testimony by Amelia Jane Schofield was not permissible as it was under another indictment, and most importantly that it was his religious duty to marry multiple times.

Courtesy of Wikipedia; Reynolds v. United States

Now, back to the true subject..The 10 Commandments in a government setting. Do you or do you not have any cases to site that uphold your belief to which you can site, the way I did for the opposition?
Reasonable Legal Mind

Sioux Falls, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

Judged:

Annie wrote:
I wish there was this much interest around the vote to NOT STOP stem cell research in Oklahoma.
If we ban the research, the state looks even more backwards in it's thinking then we ALREADY do!!!
And for all of you who think it is a terrible idea- remember when you have a very sick or dying loved one, just say no, and go about making plans of what your life will be like WITHOUT your loved one.
PLEASE GOVENOR HENRY LET STEM CELL RESEARCH HAPPEN IN OKLAHOMA!!!! WE have some of the finest researcher in this nation- please be part of the solution to the cure of MANY diseases!!!
FYI: embryonic stem cells have been found to cause cancer (in many cases, not all); adult stem cells have been found to actually WORK.

Some people just keep looking for ways to rationalize the abortion of babies because they feel a need to justify.

Justify what you say? Ask them if you can't figure it out.

REAL science debunks embryonic stem cells ... wake up!

Smile!
Reasonable Legal Mind

Sioux Falls, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

him wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know. They both seem like pretty good guys and are generous. Make people happy. I wouldn't knock either one. Fear will paralyze you.
My Germanic forefathers came up with St. Nick. as a symbol of Christ during the "dark ages" imposed by the papacy.

Sorry, truth hurts!
Reasonable Legal Mind

Sioux Falls, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

Judged:

Curious Tulsa wrote:
<quoted text>
You claim to be a reasonable legal mind...if this is true, I do not know. However what I do know is that you are NOT a logical legal mind. You are comparing apples and oranges. Yet still I am compelled to correct you even in your "wrongness".
Reynolds v. United States, 98 U.S. 145 (1878), was a Supreme Court of the United States case that held that religious duty was not a suitable defense to a criminal indictment. George Reynolds was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, charged with bigamy after marrying Amelia Jane Schofield while still married to Mary Ann Tuddenham in Utah Territory.
Before the Supreme Court, Reynolds argued that his conviction for bigamy should be overturned on six issues. These included that his grand jury had not been legal, that challenges of certain jurors were improperly overruled, testimony by Amelia Jane Schofield was not permissible as it was under another indictment, and most importantly that it was his religious duty to marry multiple times.
Now, back to the true subject..The 10 Commandments in a government setting. Do you or do you not have any cases to site that uphold your belief to which you can site, the way I did for the opposition?
1) Wikipedia is NOT reliable,
2) Your Jealous,
3) If you read the ENTIRE opinion (as I CITED, not sited)you'll see what I said is true.

EDUCATE YOURSELF ... WIKIPEDIA is about as reliable as Bill Clinton is/was faithful! LOL LOL

You CAN read, I assume?
Tulsa-Mom

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

him wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know. They both seem like pretty good guys and are generous. Make people happy. I wouldn't knock either one. Fear will paralyze you.
LOL I undertand your concept but one is real one is fiction. I like Santa Clause and have many of then out at Christmas time but when its down to the wire, I'm going with Jesus!!
upstream

Broken Arrow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

Judged:

Regardless of religious beliefs, the Ten Commandments are good rules to live by. Why not just take it at that and leave the controversy at the door. What's wrong with good words to live by, regardless of where they may or may not have originated? Kslink is right on with his/her post!!
Tulsa-Mom

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

Judged:

Annie wrote:
Explain to me where stem cells come from. I know from an umbilical cord. Where else?
Reasonable Legal Mind

Sioux Falls, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

Eye on Justice wrote:
It amazes me to read the posts. It appears to me that on this chat board the constitution is nothing but a bunch of pretty writing on an old piece of paper. However, it is what our system of government, personal rights and system of laws are based upon. The courts have ruled repeatedly on the constitutionality of posting the 10 commandments. Our legislature just chooses to ignore those ruling in an effort to make the voters happy.
The constitution gives everyone the right to choose and exercise whatever religious belief they choose. Unfortunetly, so many say if it is not their belief then deny those who are not the same their rights. That is until it personally effect them, then they scream the loudest.
FYI: THE Court (U.S. Supreme Court) has ruled on BOTH sides; depending on the intent & placement.
American Veteran

Sioux Falls, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

Curious Tulsa wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you REALLY base your belief(s) on this issue from a Supreme Court opinion (Everson v Board of Education) written by an affirmed K.K.KLANSMAN (Hugo Black)???? SILLY!!

Seems to me "RLM" made sense. Your argument falls flat.
him

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

Judged:

<quoted text>
My Germanic forefathers came up with St. Nick. as a symbol of Christ during the "dark ages" imposed by the papacy.
Sorry, truth hurts!
Hurts me? or the others? Cuz it doesn't make a difference to me. All I said is that they were both ok guys. Now the Dark Ages well people will argue with you on that til they fall over dead. I do believe the destruction of the Library in Alexandria set us back a good 500 hundred years and I am pi ss ed that I don't have my flying car.
him

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

Tulsa-Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL I undertand your concept but one is real one is fiction. I like Santa Clause and have many of then out at Christmas time but when its down to the wire, I'm going with Jesus!!
Not to try and start something. Which one have you seen personally? I haven't actually seen either one but I believe in both.
Coasters

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

Judged:

Prayers in the school please and the ten commandments taught... and let the school children sing Silent Night... and other wonderful Christmas carols
Reasonable Legal Mind

Sioux Falls, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

him wrote:
<quoted text>Hurts me? or the others? Cuz it doesn't make a difference to me. All I said is that they were both ok guys. Now the Dark Ages well people will argue with you on that til they fall over dead. I do believe the destruction of the Library in Alexandria set us back a good 500 hundred years and I am pi ss ed that I don't have my flying car.
LOL

Funny!
Coasters

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

Tulsa-Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain to me where stem cells come from. I know from an umbilical cord. Where else?
I don't know... but I know they want to use things that shouldn't be allowed to be used... research it... and I s=ure will too
What_the_

Monett, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

Judged:

Find out who the 9 were that voted against it and VOTE THEM OUT OF OFFICE!!!
Page Cole

Owasso, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

Judged:

Senator Brogdon... Great job! People who don't understand that our entire judicial system and laws are founded on the 10 commandments are ignorant or uneducated. I believe an overwhelming majority of the country, and especially Oklahomans, would have no problem with this monument. It is NOT endorsing an religion in particular, but recognizing a valuable historical document, and our own history as a nation that has it's foundations rooted in this document. Kudos to Senator Brogdon!
postalit

Tecumseh, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2009

Judged:

Isn't intresting that the backers of this monument that talk about its historical importantce are talking about words that came from a burning
bush? HA HA . Santa Claus flies again.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Tulsa Forum right now

Search the Tulsa Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, State Questio... (Oct '10) 27 min DoesntMatter 71,284
Edmonton's Victory Christian Center in limbo (Aug '12) 1 hr Wreaking Ball GUY 60
Ebay Flawed DSR System Eliminating Small Sellers (Jul '13) 10 hr SellerBacklash 28
Judges Pervert The Constitution - REPENT JUDGES... 15 hr JASPER TUDOR 2
Breaking News - Theo Fleming Formally Charged (Apr '09) Wed DylanBilbyfag 31
Alorica In Need Of Filling Jobs (Feb '08) Wed Jane doe Tulsa 109
Bond Hearing Set For Manslaughter Suspect (Nov '08) Tue Lana ray 99
•••

Excessive Heat Watch for Tulsa County was issued at July 24 at 4:01PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Tulsa Jobs

•••