State Senate Votes For 10 Commandment...

State Senate Votes For 10 Commandments Monument

There are 428 comments on the News on 6 Tulsa story from Apr 21, 2009, titled State Senate Votes For 10 Commandments Monument. In it, News on 6 Tulsa reports that:

The Oklahoma Senate has voted overwhelmingly for a bill to allow a Ten Commandments monument to be placed on the Capitol grounds.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News on 6 Tulsa.

Noms

Sulphur, LA

#41 Apr 21, 2009
Tulsa-Mom wrote:
Our country was based on CHRISIAN belief. Not Muslim, Buddhists, Hindus, or others. God, not Alah, or Buddah, or whatever else is what has been around forever.
Keep believing everything Pat Robertson tells you. The issue is not verifying information or getting information bolstered by propagandist websites.

If you do some, even minor, research into historical United States documents, you'd see that as Masons the majority of the founders were gearing the Nation as a secular one so as to not exclude any religion much like the Masons don't exclude based on what religion you believe in. So saying that the U.S. was "founded on Christianity" is in direct conflict of documents penned directly by the founders.
orly

Broken Arrow, OK

#42 Apr 21, 2009
why do people keep saying our country was founded on god every time one of these stories comes along? do they not teach history in this state??
Bonnie H Oakley

Claremore, OK

#43 Apr 21, 2009
Oh dear God we might as well take those giant praying hands from ORU and put them on the capitol lawn next to the oil well and then all start to pray that the price of oil starts to go back up.
Steven

Shawnee, OK

#44 Apr 21, 2009
Let me start off by saying that I am a Christian, a devout Christian. I love my God, I believe in Jesus. I recognize that other people do not believe in that, and that is ok.

The United States of America was founded upon three things: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Liberty is where we as a nation have opened ourselves up to alot of controversy. Freedom will allow gay marriage to happen, freedom will allow stem cell research, and freedom will allow a copy of the 10 commandments to be posted in our Capitol.

Freedom allows Christians and those of other religions to speak their mind freely. Freedom allows Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Wiccans, etc. to share their views without fear of being persecuted for that.

Do I believe that the 10 commandments should be posted in the Capitol? I'm not sure. Do I understand where you are coming from if you do not agree? Absolutely. At the same time, I know that I have the chance and responsibility to exercise my right to free speech, everybody in this country does.

The question is, is government the best place to do that? I don't think so. The government is based on freedom, which doesn't necessarily reconcile with Christianity. The freedom that America provides does so without much regard for moral restrictions found in the Christian faith.

Christians need to stand up independently from the government and show the love of Christ, the one we believe in, to others.
Mom

Tucson, AZ

#45 Apr 21, 2009
Wow, this is such a big priority....
Not.

It's how out of touch our leadership is with the world.
Joseph

Tucson, AZ

#46 Apr 21, 2009
Brogdon wants to be governor, why not start with a graven monument to himself?
Tulsa-Mom

Broken Arrow, OK

#47 Apr 21, 2009
Noms wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep believing everything Pat Robertson tells you. The issue is not verifying information or getting information bolstered by propagandist websites.
If you do some, even minor, research into historical United States documents, you'd see that as Masons the majority of the founders were gearing the Nation as a secular one so as to not exclude any religion much like the Masons don't exclude based on what religion you believe in. So saying that the U.S.

was "founded on Christianity" is in direct conflict of documents penned directly by the founders.
This has nothing to do with Pat Robertson! This is my own opinion.
Bill -- Broken Arrow

Jenks, OK

#48 Apr 21, 2009
The Ten Commandments are in the same historical categgory as Robin Hood, the Trojan Horse, King Auther, Santa Clause, and Jesus. Pandering to Christian fundamentalsits is an Oklahoma policical necessity. And only more science in the schools is going to change that.
anon

Tulsa, OK

#49 Apr 21, 2009
http://www.venganza.org/

As a believer of the flying spaghetti monster I demand we receive a statue of equal size.
Tulsa-Mom

Broken Arrow, OK

#50 Apr 21, 2009
Mikey wrote:
Tulsa-Mom
Where in the constitution does it state that this country is a "Christian" nation?
I didn't say it was in the constitution Mikey. It doesn't have to be in a document to be what it is. We were founded on God-fearing christian beliefs. Its on our money and its in our minds and hearts. I believe in freedom for everyone for all religions. I may not agree with that religion but I respect the freedom they have in America to choose who they serve and how they worship. That includes all christians which religiously makes up the most of us. And what I choose to follow.
Jed

Tucson, AZ

#51 Apr 21, 2009
If you really want a symbol of what this state was founded on, try a burning cross.

“PepĂ© & Titan”

Since: Jul 08

Tulsa-Jenks

#52 Apr 21, 2009
This is nothing new. He is only attempting to gain some publicity and use our tax dollars to do so...

Establishment Clause of the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion".(*)

Religious displays:

In 2001, Roy Moore, formerly the Chief Justice of Alabama, installed a monument to the Ten Commandments in the state judicial building. In 2003, he was ordered in the case of Glassroth v. Moore by a federal judge to remove the monument, but he refused to comply, ultimately leading to his removal from office. The Supreme Court refused to hear the case, allowing the lower court's decision to stand.(*)

McCreary County v. ACLU of Kentucky, decided on 27 June 2005, the Court ruled 5-4 that displays of the Ten Commandments in several Kentucky county courthouses were illegal because they were not clearly integrated with a secular display, and thus were considered to have a religious purpose.(*)

(*) Wikipedia--Establishment Clause of the First Amendment

Precedent is pretty clear on this issue.
Vickie Mitchener

Davenport, OK

#53 Apr 21, 2009
I will never understand why our so-called leaders insist on breaking the United States Constitutional Law which requires separation of church and state. It is a shame we will end up spending more tax dollars as this goes through the courts... I am not OK with Oklahoma!
Reasonable Legal Mind

Jenks, OK

#54 Apr 21, 2009
Sen. Tom D. Adelson;

Sir;

As a constituent of yours (33rd Dist.- I have lived in the "Brookside" neighborhood since 1972) I must say I am appalled at by your vote on the above mentioned matter and by the statements of your fellow State Senator Judy Eason McIntyre as reported by KJRH in Tulsa.

"Sen. Judy Eason McIntyre, however, charged that the measure was a political ploy aimed at getting Brogdon elected governor, playing to 'uneducated people' who 'do not understand anything other than wedge issues like this.
'If it's not God, if it's not gays, if it's not guns, they don't care,' she said.
And she further stated 'If we're not careful, we'll have another civil war,' McIntyre said."

She sir, IS playing a race card ... or can't you see the forest for the trees?

You were reported to have said "Sen. Tom Adelson, D-Tulsa, voted against the bill, saying it violated the Oklahoma Constitution.
Adelson said that as a Jewish person, he is offended by efforts to 'secularize' the Ten Commandments.
'It is clearly a religious symbol; I would not have it referred to any other way,' he said." Have you not read our founding documents? You are an attorney; I would have expected you to.

You sir, seem to be woefully ignorant of the manner in which this nation was founded!

I am an educated, degeed professional man, as well as a Historian. I do know how our nation was founded and for what purpose; appearantly you & your fellow State Senator DO NOT. How dare you and your fellow State Senator refer to me and MANY others in your district (if not her own) as "uneducated people' who 'do not understand anything other than wedge issues like this". I DO NOT appreciate your ignorant statements or those of your fellow caucus member Judy Eason McIntyre.

I intend to fight your re-election (if you are eligible), or that of any office you may choose to run for in the future and that of ANY person you endorse, based upon this and several other statements/votes you have cast.

You can kiss my vote good-bye!

Respectfully (although you & your fellow caucus member have not been to me & many others),

A U. S. Army Veteran, Citizen of these United States and Oklahoma 33rd Senate District
BOOMER SOONER!
Reasonable Legal Mind

Jenks, OK

#55 Apr 21, 2009
Jed wrote:
If you really want a symbol of what this state was founded on, try a burning cross.
Don't you mean Arrow?

Dullard.
Reasonable Legal Mind

Jenks, OK

#56 Apr 21, 2009
Bill -- Broken Arrow wrote:
The Ten Commandments are in the same historical categgory as Robin Hood, the Trojan Horse, King Auther, Santa Clause, and Jesus. Pandering to Christian fundamentalsits is an Oklahoma policical necessity. And only more science in the schools is going to change that.
Foolish post. You're naivete is showing; cover it up - children read these posts!
Reasonable Legal Mind

Jenks, OK

#57 Apr 21, 2009
Steven wrote:
Let me start off by saying that I am a Christian, a devout Christian. I love my God, I believe in Jesus. I recognize that other people do not believe in that, and that is ok.
The United States of America was founded upon three things: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Liberty is where we as a nation have opened ourselves up to alot of controversy. Freedom will allow gay marriage to happen, freedom will allow stem cell research, and freedom will allow a copy of the 10 commandments to be posted in our Capitol.
Freedom allows Christians and those of other religions to speak their mind freely. Freedom allows Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Wiccans, etc. to share their views without fear of being persecuted for that.
Do I believe that the 10 commandments should be posted in the Capitol? I'm not sure. Do I understand where you are coming from if you do not agree? Absolutely. At the same time, I know that I have the chance and responsibility to exercise my right to free speech, everybody in this country does.
The question is, is government the best place to do that? I don't think so. The government is based on freedom, which doesn't necessarily reconcile with Christianity. The freedom that America provides does so without much regard for moral restrictions found in the Christian faith.
Christians need to stand up independently from the government and show the love of Christ, the one we believe in, to others.
Your post makes several valid points.

However, you seem to be a little ignorant of our founding documents & founders.

The 1st book published by Congress for use as an educational tool in this nations schools was the Bible! Look it up! Read the founding documents again please!

Thomas Jefferson (& his misunderstood/misapplied "wall of separation" statement)had NOTHING to do with the writing of the Constitution!!!!
Reasonable Legal Mind

Jenks, OK

#58 Apr 21, 2009
Sam Jones wrote:
Thall shall not worship graven images.
You don't know what a graven image is ... do you!

LOL
Reasonable Legal Mind

Jenks, OK

#59 Apr 21, 2009
Muskogee Reader wrote:
Our Country was founded on God. Enough said. The rest of you can skip taking the day off on Christmas, Good Friday, ect...
Funny. All the "people" who don't agree with your statement are the 1st ones to whine about having to work on CHRISTmas!
Reasonable Legal Mind

Jenks, OK

#60 Apr 21, 2009
Vickie Mitchener wrote:
I will never understand why our so-called leaders insist on breaking the United States Constitutional Law which requires separation of church and state. It is a shame we will end up spending more tax dollars as this goes through the courts... I am not OK with Oklahoma!
Please ... just which "law" are you referring to?

If & when you find it (you won't BTW), please post a link here.

thanx!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tulsa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Woman Guilty 5 Counts Corpse Mutilation & Okeee... 14 hr Guest 4
1 Black Man in Chuck E Cheese Jordan Photo Op, ... 15 hr Guest 4
Patrick Gordon Thu Not sure 4
Alvin Boss eats poop Apr 25 Dina 11
Carl Michael Ruth, Jr. (Aug '14) Apr 25 Guest 310
News Public safety bill hits a snag in the Senate Apr 25 publicsaftymyazz 1
Joy Hofmeister: Oklahoma In The United States? ... Apr 23 GOP Comedy Central 1

Tulsa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance