created by: CitizenTopix | Oct 8, 2010

Arizona

1,362 votes

AZ Medical Marijuana Question, Proposition 203

Click on an option to vote

  • Yes
  • No
  • Other (explain below)
Comments
41 - 60 of 1,597 Comments Last updated Oct 7, 2013

Since: Sep 10

Cottonwood, AZ

#41 Dec 1, 2010
cashman57 wrote:
According to the 199 NIH study marijuana is not physically addictive and has medicinal qualities so we know that anyone who claims it is addictive is lying.
According to:
Web M.D. Dec 1st, 2010

Physiological Effects of Marijuana

The active ingredient in marijuana is THC. That's short for delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol.

THC is rapidly absorbed after smoking pot. Within minutes, THC and the other substances in marijuana smoke cause short-term medical effects.

Signs of using marijuana include:

* rapid heart rate
* increased blood pressure
* increased rate of breathing
* red eyes
* dry mouth
* increased appetite, or "the munchies"
* slowed reaction time

These effects are reduced after three or four hours. However, marijuana hangs around in your system for as long as 24 hours after smoking. The lingering effects mean you're impaired for several hours after the high wears off.
Psychological Effects of Marijuana

The main psychological effect of smoking pot is euphoria. Getting high or "stoned" is the reason most pot smokers use marijuana.

Other short-term psychological effects of pot include:

* distorted sense of time
* paranoia
* magical or "random" thinking
* short-term memory loss
* anxiety and depression

These psychological signs of using pot also generally ease after a few hours. But residual effects can last through the next day.
Risks of Marijuana Use

The risks of smoking marijuana go up with heavy use. Although the link has never been proven, many experts believe heavy pot smokers are at increased risk for lung cancer.

Heavy marijuana use lowers men's testosterone levels and sperm count and quality. Pot could decrease libido and fertility in some heavy-smoking men.

Contrary to what many pot smokers may tell you, marijuana is addictive, at least psychologically. Even among occasional users, one in 12 can feel withdrawal symptoms if they can't get high when they want to. Among heavy pot smokers, the rates of dependence are higher.

Many experts also believe that marijuana is physically addictive. Symptoms of withdrawal from pot might include:

* aggression
* anxiety
* depressed mood
* decreased appetite

Is pot a "gateway" drug? In other words, does smoking marijuana make someone more likely to try cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, and other "hard" drugs? The jury is still out on this one. It's true that pot smokers are more likely to use other drugs after trying marijuana.People who start smoking pot does causes further drug use, people who start smoking pot are just more likely to try drugs in general.

If you're wondering how long marijuana stays in your system after smoking, it depends on how often you smoke. Light users -- those who smoke pot once in a while -- will have a negative drug screen after a marijuana-free week. Heavy users -- sometimes called "stoners" -- may continue testing positive for a month after last smoking pot.
Jomama

Cottonwood, AZ

#42 Dec 1, 2010
Can marijuana cause cancer?
Marijuana smoke has been found to contain more cancer-causing agents than is found in tobacco smoke. Examination of human lung tissue that had been exposed to marijuana smoke over a long period of time in a laboratory showed cellular changes called metaplasia that are considered precancerous. In laboratory test, the tars from marijuana smoke have produced tumors when applied to animal skin. These studies suggest that it is likely that marijuana may cause cancer if used for a number of years

look here

http://www.well.com/user/woa/fspot.htm

Also if you don't believe marijuana effects your brain, look for a video on brain effects from weed... you'll be quite shocked.

Since: Mar 07

Atwood, KS

#43 Dec 1, 2010
The fact is marijuana is not poison, it is medicine.
The fact that nobody has been able to refute the fact that it is a safe and effective medicine means they know that the only way to fight this is to lie.
There is not now, nor has there ever been a medical marijuana patient who died from an overdose.
There is not now nor has there ever been a direct link between cannabis and any disease or disease syndrome.
10) MARIJUANA USE HAS NO EFFECT ON MORTALITY:
A massive study of California HMO members funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) found marijuana use caused no significant increase in mortality. Tobacco use was associated with increased risk of death. Sidney, S et al. Marijuana Use and Mortality. American Journal of Public Health. Vol. 87 No. 4, April 1997. p. 585-590. Sept. 2002.
9) HEAVY MARIJUANA USE AS A YOUNG ADULT WON’T RUIN YOUR LIFE:
Veterans Affairs scientists looked at whether heavy marijuana use as a young adult caused long-term problems later, studying identical twins in which one twin had been a heavy marijuana user for a year or longer but had stopped at least one month before the study, while the second twin had used marijuana no more than five times ever. Marijuana use had no significant impact on physical or mental health care utilization, health-related quality of life, or current socio-demographic characteristics. Eisen SE et al. Does Marijuana Use Have Residual Adverse Effects on Self-Reported Health Measures, Socio-Demographics or Quality of Life? A Monozygotic Co-Twin Control Study in Men. Addiction. Vol. 97 No. 9. p.1083-1086. Sept.
1997
8 THE “GATEWAY EFFECT” MAY BE A MIRAGE:
Marijuana is often called a “gateway drug” by supporters of prohibition, who point to statistical “associations” indicating that persons who use marijuana are more likely to eventually try hard drugs than those who never use marijuana – implying that marijuana use somehow causes hard drug use. But a model developed by RAND Corp. researcher Andrew Morral demonstrates that these associations can be explained “without requiring a gateway effect.” More likely, this federally funded study suggests, some people simply have an underlying propensity to try drugs, and start with what’s most readily available. Morral AR, McCaffrey D and Paddock S. Reassessing the Marijuana Gateway Effect. Addiction. December 2002. p. 1493-1504.
7) PROHIBITION DOESN’T WORK (PART I):
The White House had the National Research Council examine the data being gathered about drug use and the effects of U.S. drug policies. NRC concluded,“the nation possesses little information about the effectiveness of current drug policy, especially of drug law enforcement.” And what data exist show “little apparent relationship between severity of sanctions prescribed for drug use and prevalence or frequency of use.” In other words, there is no proof that prohibition – the cornerstone of U.S. drug policy for a century – reduces drug use. National Research Council. Informing America’s Policy on Illegal Drugs: What We Don’t Know Keeps Hurting Us. National Academy Press, 2001. p. 193.

Since: Mar 07

Atwood, KS

#44 Dec 1, 2010
6) PROHIBITION DOESN’T WORK (PART II):
DOES PROHIBITION CAUSE THE “GATEWAY EFFECT”?): U.S. and Dutch researchers, supported in part by NIDA, compared marijuana users in San Francisco, where non-medical use remains illegal, to Amsterdam, where adults may possess and purchase small amounts of marijuana from regulated businesses. Looking at such parameters as frequency and quantity of use and age at onset of use, they found no differences except one: Lifetime use of hard drugs was significantly lower in Amsterdam, with its “tolerant” marijuana policies. For example, lifetime crack cocaine use was 4.5 times higher in San Francisco than Amsterdam. Reinarman, C, Cohen, PDA, and Kaal, HL. The Limited Relevance of Drug Policy: Cannabis in Amsterdam and San Francisco. American Journal of Public Health. Vol. 94, No. 5. May 2004. p. 836-842.
5) OOPS, MARIJUANA MAY PREVENT CANCER (PART I):
Federal researchers implanted several types of cancer, including leukemia and lung cancers, in mice, then treated them with cannabinoids (unique, active components found in marijuana). THC and other cannabinoids shrank tumors and increased the mice’s lifespans. Munson, AE et al. Antineoplastic Activity of Cannabinoids. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. Sept. 1975. p. 597-602.
4) OOPS, MARIJUANA MAY PREVENT CANCER,(PART II):
In a 1994 study the government tried to suppress, federal researchers gave mice and rats massive doses of THC, looking for cancers or other signs of toxicity. The rodents given THC lived longer and had fewer cancers,“in a dose-dependent manner”(i.e. the more THC they got, the fewer tumors). NTP Technical Report On The Toxicology And Carcinogenesis Studies Of 1-Trans- Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol, CAS No. 1972-08-3, In F344/N Rats And B6C3F Mice, Gavage Studies. See also,“Medical Marijuana: Unpublished Federal Study Found THC-Treated Rats Lived Longer, Had Less Cancer,” AIDS Treatment News no. 263, Jan. 17, 1997.
3) OOPS, MARIJUANA MAY PREVENT CANCER (PART III):
Researchers at the Kaiser-Permanente HMO, funded by NIDA, followed 65,000 patients for nearly a decade, comparing cancer rates among non-smokers, tobacco smokers, and marijuana smokers. Tobacco smokers had massively higher rates of lung cancer and other cancers. Marijuana smokers who didn’t also use tobacco had no increase in risk of tobacco-related cancers or of cancer risk overall. In fact their rates of lung and most other cancers were slightly lower than non-smokers, though the difference did not reach statistical significance. Sidney, S. et al. Marijuana Use and Cancer Incidence (California, United States). Cancer Causes and Control. Vol. 8. Sept. 1997, p. 722-728.

Since: Mar 07

Atwood, KS

#45 Dec 1, 2010
2) OOPS, MARIJUANA MAY PREVENT CANCER (PART IV):
Donald Tashkin, a UCLA researcher whose work is funded by NIDA, did a case-control study comparing 1,200 patients with lung, head and neck cancers to a matched group with no cancer. Even the heaviest marijuana smokers had no increased risk of cancer, and had somewhat lower cancer risk than non-smokers (tobacco smokers had a 20-fold increased lung cancer risk). Tashkin D. Marijuana Use and Lung Cancer: Results of a Case-Control Study. American Thoracic Society International Conference. May 23, 2006.
1) MARIJUANA DOES HAVE MEDICAL VALUE:
In response to passage of California’s medical marijuana law, the White House had the Institute of Medicine (IOM) review the data on marijuana’s medical benefits and risks. The IOM concluded,“Nausea, appetite loss, pain and anxiety are all afflictions of wasting, and all can be mitigated by marijuana.” While noting potential risks of smoking, the report added,“we acknowledge that there is no clear alternative for people suffering from chronic conditions that might be relieved by smoking marijuana, such as pain or AIDS wasting.” The government’s refusal to acknowledge this finding caused co-author John A. Benson to tell the New York Times that the government “loves to ignore our report … they would rather it never happened.” Joy, JE, Watson, SJ, and Benson, JA. Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base. National Academy Press. 1999. p. 159. See also, Harris, G. FDA Dismisses Medical Benefit From Marijuana. New York Times. Apr. 21, 2006
So, if the time ever comes when you can refute these studies, bring it, otherwise you are just blowing smoke.

Since: Mar 07

Atwood, KS

#46 Dec 1, 2010
So, as we all can see these studies and more prove that marijuana is a safe and effective medicine and it has zero chance of overdose and there is no direct link between cannabis consumption and any disease or disease syndrome.
These studies and more are why the government of Canada approved Sativex as a safe and effective medicine.
Those studies and more are why the UK gov't run health care system has designated Sativex as a safe and effective medicine. Those studies and more are why 14 States now have compassionate use exceptions for marijuana and those studies plus more completely disprove the federal gov't claim that marijuana has no medicinal use.
If you like being lied to and played for a fool then oppose medical marijuana in Arizona.
If you are heartless and enjoy watching your fellow Americans suffer then oppose medical marijuana in Arizona.
The mere fact that the federal gov't has still listed cannabis as a substance without medicinal qualities shows you that the federal gov't is not interested in the truth, they are interested in control.
Wake up, grow a brain, and support medical marijuana in Arizona.

Since: Sep 10

Cottonwood, AZ

#47 Dec 1, 2010
Cashman you just keep living in your own realm of a dream world. It does not matter to you, what is or isn't! You think you know the real truth, and deny any health effects of a plant that has over 400 chemicals in it.

Every drug natural or man made has it's side effects! Marijuana is no exception!

People have had trouble using pot, you deny that, yet you want to believe all the "good uses" you believe it has. Your reality is off!

You just want to believe so go-ahead! Your life your health!

Other peoples truths to you are stupid if they are not good about their experience with pot, you say they are idiots or ignorant!

Why do you think there is a organization called "Marijuana Anonymous"? If no one has problems with it?

Must be some people out there that have had, and have trouble with this special weed you seem to love so very very much and defend!

You have the mentality of a typical druggie!

Since: Mar 07

Atwood, KS

#48 Dec 1, 2010
Tea Party Patriot wrote:
Cashman you just keep living
As you can clearly see from the studies you paid for, the claims you have made are nothing more than lies.
You can claim all of these compounds do this and that but in reality those compounds do not enter the bloodstream when cannabis is consumed orally or via vap[orizer.
Absolutely no health problems have resulted from the medicinal use of martijuana and you can't find one stae or nation that has allowed medical marijuana and has later repealed it.
It works.
It bis safe and effective medicine.
You can't argue the point so you claim I have a problem.
I am sorry that you are so stupid and lost, I am trying to educate you so you will not look like a fool but I guess if you are that determined to be a fool I can't stop you.
What I can do is present evidence your position is wrong and cruel.
How you live with that is beyond me.

Since: Mar 07

Atwood, KS

#49 Dec 1, 2010
The question is whether or not to allow patients with medical conditions diagnosed by a doctor in AZ and under the supervision of that doctor to use a plant which is proven safe and effective.
The prohiobitionists have argued about smoke. Medical marijuana is not about smoke. Since the only thing they can point to is smoke it is easy to see why 14 states have compassionate use exceptions and why cannabis is available by prescription in the UK and Canada.
I have posted the studies, where to find the info, and why the cries from the prohibitionists are bunk.
The prohibitionists have only one answer and it has been proved wrong in 14 States, dozens of studies, and clinical trials in at least two countries.
The prohibitionists pretend cannabis is poison despite ALL of the evidence which has led reasonable people across the country to conclude it is a safe and effective medicine.
Imagine how AZ would be the laughingstock of the free world for pretending cannabis isn't medicine.
Do the people of Arizona want to look stupid and cruel and defeat the measure or do they want reality and sanity to prevaiul and allow for the compassionate use of cannabis under the supervision of a doctor.
Please, you prohibitionists and pretenders of smaller gov't tea party members, please examine the facts and understand that the facts cannot be found in the position of the federal gov't.
If there were ever a more pressing need to erase the DEA than its position on medical cannabis, I have not seen it.
It is wasteful, contrary to freedom and liberty, and wrong.

Since: Sep 10

Cottonwood, AZ

#51 Dec 1, 2010
Okay we wont ask the people who used pot in any form, or rely on their personal experience. As you said this was made in to "medical Marijuana" so it could get passed. That is the entire scam from the beginning!

On top of using pot in whatever form you deem "safe"! You are a complete Narcissist, so no matter what I tell you you will always believe YOU are right!

Go convince someone else! You are totally brainwashed by the want of weed!
Jeeez Guys

Phoenix, AZ

#54 Dec 3, 2010
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you imagine if every prescription was labeled, "Use as needed"?
Well that seems to be the only way to administer MM without some determination of THC content-- and that would require not only extensive testing but strict production requirements.
If MM were really a drug to relieve discomfort, it should be administered by the FDA -- that's what they do.
I can already hear the MM proponents balking at any type of regulation... but if it's a drug, and drugs are regulated, shouldn't it be as well?
Im personally for prop 203, but it really bothers me that no one who actually knows anything about anything is on here debating against it.

Im quoting Mothra because he/she actually has a point. When they prescribe someone pain meds they dont say "you can have up to 1000 pills, either 10 25 or 100 mg's each, you can come back tomorrow if you run out, oh and heres how to make the drug at home and as long as we dont catch you making more than x amount at a time we wont bother you."

There are many flaws in whats going on but at least its progress. Rome wasn't built in a day.

The last thing any of us need are these fucktards like Tea party who don't argue any valid points, and continue to bitch about regulation of a substance they know nothing about. Did you see him get all excited when that fucktard said "oh i hope dey dont start letting people out of prison cuz of dis law"

What part of this law dont you understand? Without a medical card being available to those people WHEN THEY WERE ARRESTED.......nevermind im too lazy to even bother with TP's Dumbass

Since: Sep 10

Cottonwood, AZ

#55 Dec 3, 2010
Jeeez Guys wrote:
<quoted text>
Im personally for prop 203, but it really bothers me that no one who actually knows anything about anything is on here debating against it.
Im quoting Mothra because he/she actually has a point. When they prescribe someone pain meds they dont say "you can have up to 1000 pills, either 10 25 or 100 mg's each, you can come back tomorrow if you run out, oh and heres how to make the drug at home and as long as we dont catch you making more than x amount at a time we wont bother you."
There are many flaws in whats going on but at least its progress. Rome wasn't built in a day.
The last thing any of us need are these fucktards like Tea party who don't argue any valid points, and continue to bitch about regulation of a substance they know nothing about. Did you see him get all excited when that fucktard said "oh i hope dey dont start letting people out of prison cuz of dis law"
What part of this law dont you understand? Without a medical card being available to those people WHEN THEY WERE ARRESTED.......nevermind im too lazy to even bother with TP's Dumbass
So you don't believe prisoners could get a mm card in prison for what ails them? Ha! And you think I am the dumb a**???

Your probably too lazy from the cabanas in your system! Go take another drag and keep thinking, you are doing real good!
Nice language, you are a model citizen of the U.S.!!
Melanie

Huachuca City, AZ

#56 Dec 4, 2010
Teabaggerpatriot

"Cabana" Is that the cabana next to the swimming pool in your mind? What are you on? Maybe just drunk? Too many pills?

Since: Sep 10

Cottonwood, AZ

#57 Dec 4, 2010
Big deal, so I spelled it wrong! Go look at all the mistakes and errors, these supporters make..Be liberal and make fun of them also! At least my mistakes are done sober! Human error!

Guess that's how bad it is to be against the weed eaters...Got to make fun of any mistake at all because there is no legitimate argument for doing pot!

This entire "new law" is a real joke, and no one is convincing me any different!
Melanie

Huachuca City, AZ

#58 Dec 4, 2010
Perhaps the "bite me" Arizona flag detracts from your credibility.........

Since: Mar 07

Atwood, KS

#59 Dec 4, 2010
Once again for the freedom robbing losers.
14 Staes have compassionate use exceptions to their marijuana laws because cannabis is safe and effective. Trying to dose it is stupid because there is no dose which leads to death. In all of the drugs the gov't approves of you can die from taking too many.
To the absolute loony idiots who pretend to speak for the TEA party, you are clearlyu intentionally ignorant and all of your scary scenarios have been proven wrong in 14 States, Canada, and the UK.
How's it feel to be the dumbest commenter on the discussion?
If somehow common sense finds you, I am happy to show you the wonderful medicinal effects proven in double blind studies.
If you keep pretending it is poison I will keep laughing at you.
Perhaps you should change your nickname to foolsjester or something because you look pretty ignorant.
GREG

Phelan, CA

#60 Dec 5, 2010
sassy wrote:
How do u go about getting it? Do u see ur regular doc. or a special doctor?
Sassy, I 'm from CA and I can tell you some about how it will work. They will have lots of Doctors who advertise to , examine you, just tell them you suffer from headaches, tension, stress, any number of problems. You have had this condition for years and Marijuan helps these. that's all ther is to it, along with about $75 for a yearly prescription,, then just go to a dispensary, here in Ca very easy,

Since: Mar 07

Atwood, KS

#61 Dec 6, 2010
GREG- so far it has been quite a success in California. There has been none of the scary scenarios the prohibitionists said would occur when the question of allowing for the compassionate use of cannabis was being discussed.
The prohibitionists and other assorted idiots claimed that there would be a massive increase in traffic accidents due to people using cannabis as medicine and it did not happen.
There's plenty of proof that cannabis prohibition kills more people than cannabis ever could.
See
http://www.mpp.org/victims

Since: Mar 07

Atwood, KS

#62 Dec 6, 2010
Jomama wrote:
Can marijuana cause cancer?
Marijuana smoke has been found to contain more cancer-causing agents than is found in tobacco smoke. Examination of human lung tissue that had been exposed to marijuana smoke over a long period of time in a laboratory showed cellular changes called metaplasia that are considered precancerous. In laboratory test, the tars from marijuana smoke have produced tumors when applied to animal skin. These studies suggest that it is likely that marijuana may cause cancer if used for a number of years
look here
http://www.well.com/user/woa/fspot.htm
Also if you don't believe marijuana effects your brain, look for a video on brain effects from weed... you'll be quite shocked.
Once again for the slow learners, idiots, and other assorted prohibitionists. There's no permanent harm to using cannabis. There's permamnent harm from tobacco and booze.
There's no direct link between cannabis and any disease or disease syndrom and as the evidence I posted earlier proves, the evidence indicates that cannabinoids reduce the size of cancerous tumors.
So to the idiots who claim cannabis causes cancer I say, PROVE IT.
There are enough cancer free people who have used cannabis all of their adult lives to put to rest anyone's claim of harm from cannabis consumption.
I noticed that some weak minded individuals disagree with the proof I posted.
That's OK because all you did was prove how clueless and wrong you really are.
Info Junkie

Sedona, AZ

#63 Dec 7, 2010
And here I thought tea party-folk were for LESS gov't...one would think that meant no law keeping a sick person from having the freedom to ingest (smoke, eat, vaporize, THC tincture, whatever) a medicinal herb which helped them deal with their symptoms. Isn't the tea party about less restrictions on our freedoms? Put the responsibility into the hands of people to decide what is best for themselves, like health care? Isn't that the "party line"??

I keep posting this all over, not sure who really sees the extent of the research, but once again, Granny Crow's List of MMJ uses: http://www.medicalmarijuanaorangecounty.net/g...

One more thing for Cashman -*clapping*- thanks for your perseverance and logic.... too rarely witnessed qualities. Speaking for myself, I appreciate that!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tucson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Post you feature points referral code (Feb '14) 1 hr Bob 3,016
Feature points referral code 2 hr clem 55
Arizona AG Horne refuses to recognize the Gulen... Sat Anonymous 1
Review: A&L Transport Best Moving Company Freig... (Feb '14) Sat Cory Trevor 4
Quick feature points referral code Sat Bulb98 54
Feature point referral codes Fri rapaaa1234 7
FeaturePoints Referral Codes! Fri rapaaa1234 56
•••
•••
•••

Tucson Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Tucson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Tucson News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Tucson
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••