The President has failed us

The President has failed us

There are 409895 comments on the Times News story from Jun 9, 2012, titled The President has failed us. In it, Times News reports that:

This week, I decided to list the reasons I would not vote for Barack Obama in the next election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times News.

Since: Dec 11

#100843 Feb 8, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
Do your research.
I posted a link to an article a couple of days ago that went through these claims and disproved them and explained where this all started.
The idea that recent mass shooters are mostly registered Democrats is a myth
http://www.examiner.com/article/the-idea-that...
I know it's become a favorite theory of the far right, but it simply isn't true.
Fact is most mass shooters have had one thing in common. They share a far right ideology.
One stat for you: 0 have been N.R.A. Members.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#100844 Feb 8, 2013
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
The article is clear that these students are above average students that must have good grades to maintain the privilege.Those praying are leaving the classroom and the kids sitting in class are going about their studies, they're not being affected at all.
It's not lenience. It's affording them their right to practice their religion in a manor designated by the school and state. I think they should make the same arrangement for the Christian students that fit the grade requirements as well.
I do also think the particular and specific requirements of the muslim religion are part of this issue as well.
If the aim is to remove religion from schools then it has to be ALL religions, not just those you deem inappropriate. There's an abject fear in our school system that if Muslims aren't accommodated, bad things could happen. Since Christians don't pose a palpably physical threat to anyone, schools, and liberals in general, focus their public indignation on them, with cavalier regularity. From any reasonable perspective this has the appearance of favoritism on one side and bullying on the other, both familiar liberal characteristics.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#100845 Feb 8, 2013
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>
You really are out there! You consider "little boy" getting testy? LMAO!! My temper is IN check, but if it wasn't, who are you to tell me anything? King of the world again?????
You actually remind me of a little boy wanting to get your way.
I consider you calling me "little boy" as your best attempt to belittle and condescend me. I'm a grown man and I am getting my way, not because I am "king of the the world" or because I want to "get my way", but because your argument is weak, as usual. ;)

You actually remind me of a frustrated conservative who has trouble staying calm when the discussion does not go their way. ;)

Location hidden

#100846 Feb 8, 2013
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
If the aim is to remove religion from schools then it has to be ALL religions, not just those you deem inappropriate. There's an abject fear in our school system that if Muslims aren't accommodated, bad things could happen. Since Christians don't pose a palpably physical threat to anyone, schools, and liberals in general, focus their public indignation on them, with cavalier regularity. From any reasonable perspective this has the appearance of favoritism on one side and bullying on the other, both familiar liberal characteristics.
Per the 1st amendment students have a right to practice their religious practices individually but where and when this right can be exercised is regulated by the state and Government due to the Establishment clause of the First Amendment.

I disagree that any leniency is being given to Muslim students because Schools "fear" retribution. This is absurd. I think it has much more to do with the fact that it is a "requirement" in the Muslim religion for believers to pray 5 times a day. A REQUIREMENT.

Still, I'm sure if Christian students asked for the same deal and the fit the academic requirements they too would be given a similar privilege.

It only "appears" like favoritism because that's what you want to see. The same with the idea of Muslims being a threat. It's ideas like that, that make it all too easy to dismiss conservative ideology.
Pok Guy

Plymouth, MN

#100847 Feb 8, 2013
Libs suck wrote:
<quoted text>
YAWN!!
The typical libtard lie and deny...all the while avoiding FACTS.
A simple fact.... Manson is a libtard... same mindset as the rest of ya.
Gee, perhaps if you had someone read my post to you then you'd realize that facts are what it almost entirely consisted of. I can, however, understand your dismay when you discover that those facts run counter to your beliefs. For convenience, I'll repost my facts here for the benefit of your mental health clinician to read to you:

"The idea that most mass murders are liberals is based on the assertions of Roger Hedgecock, a right-wing radio show host. In fact, most mass murders express an ideology (racism, misogyny, entitlement, psychosis, etc) typically associated with the right-wing. All of these individuals expressed such a right-wing outlook: Nidal Hasan (the Ft. Hood shooter), Seung-Hui Cho, James Holmes, Adama Lanza, Klebold and Harris, Tim McVeigh, Mexican-hating James Oliver Huberty, White supremacist Buford O. Furrow, Jim David Atkinsson, who hated Democrats, liberals, African Americans and homosexuals, white supremacist Keith Luke, etc., etc, and etc.

Your reliance on an entertainer's gross misinformation is the cause of your Republicanism. It can be cured with an education."

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#100848 Feb 8, 2013
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
Per the 1st amendment students have a right to practice their religious practices individually but where and when this right can be exercised is regulated by the state and Government due to the Establishment clause of the First Amendment.
I disagree that any leniency is being given to Muslim students because Schools "fear" retribution. This is absurd. I think it has much more to do with the fact that it is a "requirement" in the Muslim religion for believers to pray 5 times a day. A REQUIREMENT.
Still, I'm sure if Christian students asked for the same deal and the fit the academic requirements they too would be given a similar privilege.
It only "appears" like favoritism because that's what you want to see. The same with the idea of Muslims being a threat. It's ideas like that, that make it all too easy to dismiss conservative ideology.
What is a "privilege" but leniency towards a specific entity? Had Muslims been afforded the same leniency Christians have, they wouldn't be taking advantage of prayer privileges, "required" or not.

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Since: Jan 08

Trump 2016 and beyond

#100849 Feb 8, 2013
What's a "rainbow warrior"?

“Peace”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#100850 Feb 8, 2013
-Dont Panic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Forcing ones values upon others is a Republican tradition. It's not good enough for a republican to value sobriety. No! A republican must force sobriety upon everyone by amending the constitution prohibiting alcohol. Republicans cannot just refuse to abort their fetuses. They want to force everyone to carry an unwanted pregnancy through to birth. That is the essence of the republican party. Their reason to exist depends upon forcing their values upon those who do not share them. They were founded on the principles of forcing their will upon others even if it means civil war. The republican party has not changed one little bit. They are still cramming their shit down the throats of the masses. It's time to tax the church and abolish the republican party once and for all.
Forcing ones values on others has been what our Politicians from both sides have done for generations. It isn't just a Republican thing. Nor is it a politician thing it seems that many people want to control what others say and/or think. Those that post on Topix that want to stuff radical views down everybodies throats come to mind.
This is just my opinion it isn't a Republican problem nor is it a Christian problem. It happens to be some politicians and some Christians that have a problem with the control issue. We don't condemn all for the sins of a few.
I'm Republican, a Christian and have been all my life. But I'm firmly against forcing others to conform to my beliefs. I find it against the Bible to do that. After all Jesus taught by his example and teachings. He didn't force anyone to follow him or believe his teachings...he just gave them the information and it was up to them to decide what they would do.
It's always been about free will in the Bible. It's supposed to be about free will in our legislation. Only barring those things that would cause physical or material harm to others. After all we are the land of freedom and personal rights.
Pok Guy

Plymouth, MN

#100851 Feb 8, 2013
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Baloney.

Only a relatively small group of liberals want religion removed entirely from schools. What most liberals want is neutrality and a separation of religion from the public institution. Religion would not be actively taught, but the school would make reasonable accommodations for it's practice by students/staff.

Conservatives and Republicans, on the other hand, want religion taught in schools and would include its practice into the daily school curriculum. And the favoritism you speak of actually resides with a radical group of conservatives/Republicans who would also place restrictions, if not ban, any other religion taught & practiced in schools other than Christianity.

There's still another group that sees the whole "invisible super powerful guy with magical powers who lives in the sky" thing as delusional and incomprehensible and has not business anywhere.

Location hidden

#100852 Feb 8, 2013
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
What is a "privilege" but leniency towards a specific entity? Had Muslims been afforded the same leniency Christians have, they wouldn't be taking advantage of prayer privileges, "required" or not.
What's your point? The point is that they are not imposting their religious practices on the entire school or class Those specific Muslims are being allowed to leave class for a few minutes because their grades are above average and their religion requires them to pray five times a day.
Pok Guy

Plymouth, MN

#100853 Feb 8, 2013
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>The point is they are being given special dispensations in the name of their religion, yet the Christians are not being given the same considerations. I am sure that there are students among them who have equally exemplar grades, yet they must sit in the class. Look, I have been around kids long enough to know that this could eventually build into resentment because one group is given the right to pray, while the other is not given the same circumstance. The school is not doing anybody any favors.
The special religious dispensations afforded to Muslim students you speak of are also available to Christian students. Both religions have their requirements, Muslims, however, take such requirements seriously and adhere to them (e.g. don't eat pork) Christian students do not (e.g., no meat on Friday, but who practices that?). Islam also has religious requirements that must be practiced during the course of the day (e.g., praying 5x/day), Christianity does not have such requirements.

“Peace”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#100854 Feb 8, 2013
-Dont Panic- wrote:
<quoted text>
If it weren't for right wing totalitarian republicans trying to wipe out the culture and traditions of the Latino/Hispanic community a group like La Raza wouldn't have a reason to exist.
The tea party movement started off as the party of the average Joe looking for a sounding board to have their voices heard. We've listened to that voice for four years now and we are simply trying to say..."Shut the Hell Up!" ... "You are an embarrassment!" ... "Learn to read and spell words!" ... "None of y'all earn enough to worry about Bush's tax break for the wealthy so quit defending the people who have been screwing you for all these years!"
Anyway, The tea party is irrelevant today. They went the way of Ross Perot and his looney followers. The republicans need a third party so that their candidate doesn't seem so strange and unelectable.
The Republican party needs to throw out the far right radicals that preach nothing but hate. Then they need to clear their heads of all the propaganda they've been taking in for several years now and then go to the middle where they belong.
No worries DP I'm working on it.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#100855 Feb 8, 2013
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
I consider you calling me "little boy" as your best attempt to belittle and condescend me. I'm a grown man and I am getting my way, not because I am "king of the the world" or because I want to "get my way", but because your argument is weak, as usual. ;)
You actually remind me of a frustrated conservative who has trouble staying calm when the discussion does not go their way. ;)
That would certainly NOT be my "best attempt to belittle and condescend" you. LMAO That was never my intent. If I wanted to belittle you, I could do much better than that.

You ARE NOT getting your way. You assume you are correct, but I do not agree. You think much more of your argument than I do.

LMAO! The only thing that I get frustrated with is your attempt to twist everything I say to make me an "ignorant" conservative. Your term, not mine. You believe I am to the extreme on every issue and that is not true so you twist a simple statement into the extreme to suit your assumptions.

Location hidden

#100856 Feb 8, 2013
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>
That would certainly NOT be my "best attempt to belittle and condescend" you. LMAO That was never my intent. If I wanted to belittle you, I could do much better than that.
You ARE NOT getting your way. You assume you are correct, but I do not agree. You think much more of your argument than I do.
LMAO! The only thing that I get frustrated with is your attempt to twist everything I say to make me an "ignorant" conservative. Your term, not mine. You believe I am to the extreme on every issue and that is not true so you twist a simple statement into the extreme to suit your assumptions.
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>That would certainly NOT be my "best attempt to belittle and condescend" you. LMAO That was never my intent. If I wanted to belittle you, I could do much better than that.
Oh brother.

Yawn.

Have a nice day.

Location hidden

#100857 Feb 8, 2013
_White American_ wrote:
<quoted text>The Republican party needs to throw out the far right radicals that preach nothing but hate.
Who are these people?

Could you give some examples of them preaching "nothing but hate"?

Location hidden

#100858 Feb 8, 2013
I wish...hope...pray his man some day runs for president.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/0...
higgans

Avon, IN

#100859 Feb 8, 2013
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
Republicans would be forcing everything they could on society but society won't allow it. Republicans have lost their impact on the people. People see the party for what it is therefore voting their(Republicans) ability to "force" anything on the people.
y'all got it backasswards...
years ago, our society operated under different, more restricted mores and guidelines for 'acceptable' behaviour.

as the bar was changed (lowered?) as to acceptable PUBLIC behaviour, some think our society has gone on a downward path.

folks on here constantly harp about ruthless, moral-less, greedy and self-centered 'capitalists'... aren't they both a memeber and reflection of our present society-at-large?

doesn't it make sense that if we want leaders (in pols and bus and mil and rel and edu and ???) to be of good character, that OUR society should ALSO reflect GOOD character? I mean, these 'leaders' aren't imported from some where else, are they?

republicans(?) want to impose the OLD STANDARDS... how about folks that want SOMETHING akin to 'old fashioned values' recognized and RESPECTED again... would those be the 'conservatives' folks like you rant about?

an ideology, like Progressive-ism, that says to hell with limitations on acceptable behaviour AS A MEANS TO GARNER APPROVAL and to win elections, is not the way to go. in the END, when such folks finally get their way, as History has shown REPEATEDLY, is not a society 90% of us DON'T want to live in. it WILL be far more selective and repressive than any thing in OUR past.

quit listening and paying attention to what pols SAY and start admitting and reacting to what THEY DO.

is not OUR Nation WORSE off today than it was 50 years ago?

has not almost EVERY FG program/policy either failed or had an ADVERSE effect on OUR Nation as a whole?

with ALL of our faults, both as a Nation and a Society, 50 years ago we did NOT have the wars, poverty, unemployment, decline in public ed, gridlock, failing infrastructure, illegals, gangs, fraud, mass shootings, fear-mongering, NATIONAL DEBT AND DOUBT that we have today.

during that same period, we have had BOTH Parties in charge at various times... IT'S THE GOVERNMENT, STUDPID!

LIMITED FG, GOOD...
BIG Govt, BAAAAAD!!

remember the 60's? POWER to the PEOPLE! remember?

id-E-ots....

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#100861 Feb 8, 2013
positronium wrote:
What's a "rainbow warrior"?
Actually a "rainbow warrior" is a member of the LGTB community that is willing to stand up and face the criticism, taunts and harassment that come from people like you in order to fight for our rights and equality.

In the context of topix and your post it was a way for some punk ass bitch of a troll to attack me over the fact that I'm gay and try to provoke me into a fight over on the mods thread.

Thanks for showing your lack of character by bringing it over here as bait just in case I had missed it over there.

I didn't miss it.
Snake Eyes

Anaheim, CA

#100862 Feb 8, 2013
Native American Prophecies

Many people feel the birth of the Rainbow Family was foretold many, many years ago by various Native American tribes. Unfortunately, all of these tales are Oral Histories, so the specifics vary from version to version. About all we can do is compare the versions, and try to get the basic "feel" of the prophecy.

Warriors of the Rainbow

This prophecy is the one that has become famous as it fortells the birth of the "Rainbow Warriors", who will save the earth from environmental destruction. Many people feel that we are these Rainbow Warriors.

Read more: http://www.welcomehome.org/rainbow/prophecy/p...
Liberals Own It

Riverside, CA

#100863 Feb 8, 2013
Twitter users declare murder suspect Christopher Dorner a ‘modern day,’‘real life’ Django

http://twitchy.com/2013/02/08/twitter-users-d...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States of America Travel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Louisiana paper to Obama: Cut vacation short Aug '16 Le Jimbo 78
News Washington, D.C. - the District of Columbia (Jun '16) Jun '16 Medewiwin 1
News This Day in History: April 3 (Apr '16) Apr '16 Jane Lucy Marie 1
News Obama's missing executive order; Federal Regist... (Mar '16) Mar '16 wild child 1
News Exclusive - "Ted Cruz: Hillary - Embodies The C... (Apr '15) Apr '15 kuda 2
News Celebrations mark Battle of New Orleans bicente... (Jan '15) Jan '15 TRAIL OF TEARS 1
News New York City Courts Democratic National Committee (Aug '14) Aug '14 Le Jimbo 7
More from around the web