Gulf Oil Spill Effect On Fort Walton/...

Gulf Oil Spill Effect On Fort Walton/Destin/Miramar, FL Beaches?

There are 134 comments on the Hutch Report story from May 3, 2010, titled Gulf Oil Spill Effect On Fort Walton/Destin/Miramar, FL Beaches?. In it, Hutch Report reports that:

"Gulf Oil Spill Effect On Fort Walton/Destin/Miramar, FL Beaches?" Some of the most beautiful coastline in the United States of America is located in Fort Walton, Destin and Miramar Florida and these areas could be on the path of a huge oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico that is floating from west to east.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hutch Report.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Bubba

Pineville, LA

#126 Jul 1, 2010
Just returned from a week at Sandestin. There were a few "tiny" tar chips in the Gulf, but otherwise the swimming and the beach were perfect. There was no bad air, or oiled birds. I don't understand why anyone would cancel a vacation because of a "tarball", but to each his own. The rain was a downer, but the storm did create some memorable waves. I would have stayed another week but gotta work to pay for next years trip.
Friend of 4

Little Rock, AR

#127 Jul 2, 2010
Party of 7 wrote:
We have had a similar experience(no refund, beaches are fine, other things to do in Destin, take it up with BP for a possible refund?) with Coastline Luxury Rentals(CLR). We are scheduled to go in late August and called well in advance of 60 days and were told that we could have canceled within 7 days of booking for a full refund. While our heart goes out for Florida, we wish Coastline Luxury Rentals could have (and still can) handle this a little differently. If things don't change, we will certainly not rent from CLR again and will recommend to others to watch out for CLR.
<quoted text>
Party of 7,
I have been in constant contact with Coastline Luxury Rentals since I rented in April.I wonder if the VRBO.com owners know how they are treating customers. We are hoping for the best.Last contact was about a week ago and they are still telling us that the beaches are fine, But I an hearing different now.I have a party of 12-15 going my family and we have spent $7000.00 for the house. All I can say is we have learned a valuable lesson and we will not ever rent another property managed by them.I have heard numerious stories where property owners have let people cancel due to the situation w/no penalty. Maybe a small processing fee. People\Business owners like this is who I want to give my business to on future trips to the gulf. My heart breaks and goes out to all the people in the Gulf area that are suffering from this terrible tragdey that has occured.
Glasnos

El Paso, TX

#128 Jul 2, 2010
Just saw a report from beach destinations from Mobile Ala to Miami Beach ... reservations are down 80% ... Great time to find a real deal ... especially in Miami where no oil has even been reported yet. Daytona beach will be oil free ...and you drive on it ... no need to lug your coolers and chairs ...
Just back from Destin

Rayne, LA

#129 Jul 3, 2010
I just got back from Destin, Miramar Beach to be more specific. If anyone is saying there is no oil there, they're just lying to you. There were tar balls, but not in huge numbers and there were times that oil would stain the bottom of your feet and/or sandals if you walked on the sand (in spots). The beach appears to be fine when you look at it, and minus what I mention, it is. But to say there is NO OIL or there hasn't been any, is a bit dishonest.
Destin Native

Niceville, FL

#130 Jul 4, 2010
I live in Destin, it is beautiful, when there have been a few tar balls they are quickly cleaned up, the water is tested several times daily.
MikeHenderson wrote:
<quoted text>
No tar balls in Destin.
Visit destinoilspill.com they have more information for Destin on how its currently looking
fwbkotowske

East Peoria, IL

#131 Jul 6, 2010
The news reports say NO oil, meaning slick, sheen, and mass puddles. The spill is far west of Destin area so we only get a few tar balls. This will be happening for years to come and is a fact of life we must live with. BP and our local government are keeping the tar balls cleaned up pretty well. We live here with our children and the air is good. The rumors of methane gas were dispelled this weekend when thousands of fireworks were lit over the gulf. No explosions! Book your vacations, we need you here.
Mil

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#132 Jul 9, 2010
Just returned from Destin, stayed at the Sand Destin resort July 5 th - July 9 th. We saw no oil. Tuesday rained most of the day, Wednesday and Thursday great waves. Thursday and Friday water was very clear. We did see a great deal of sea weed Monday-Wednesday. Very glad we kept our reservations, my family had a wonderful time.
Frank Newland

Mesa, AZ

#133 Jul 12, 2010
Tell all this to the environmentalists, who have stopped all efforts to drill for oil on government lands where oil companies KNOW there is oil.

Environmentalists should be restricted to taking care of their own private back yards, NOT public lands.
Jack Steeple

New Orleans, LA

#134 Jul 12, 2010
So everything is coming up roses in Destin ...!?

Who would have thought there had been the worst environmental catastrophe ever?
Mike

Gadsden, AL

#135 Jul 13, 2010
Breaking NEWS folks - no oil in Destin in the Miramar beach area. I update the situation DAILY over on my site at http://www.funews.org
You can check out an almost DAY BY DAY update all the way since May 22nd. Except for June 23rd, I have found enough tarchips to filla thimble. Even the President's wife was in Panama City yesterday standing on the beach saying everything was clean and clear. What's all this about cancelling trips? My wife and I go down almost every weekend!
Mike

Gadsden, AL

#136 Jul 13, 2010
oh - forgot to add... for all of the wackos who hope the world will end tomorrow and that everyone is dying in Destin and every other place on the gulf coast - I have even included all of the recent air and water sample test results from the EPA, the DEP, the Coast Guard and everyone else who samples and monitors the air and water daily. http://www.funews.org
Sad State

Miami, FL

#137 Jul 14, 2010
Florida is a treasure. I hate to see anything destroying our beautiful beaches and mangroves.
Mike

Gadsden, AL

#138 Jul 14, 2010
Sad State - I ask you: is there anything destroying anything where you are? You are on the EAST COAST. Why would you post a comment like that other than to discourage people from visiting your state?
KimG

Gulf Breeze, FL

#139 Mar 19, 2011
Well, here we are less than one year later and it is Spring Break. The weather is in the 70s and the beaches are packed. You would never know anything ever happened.
The water is clear and the beach sand is sugar white. It looks like real estate sales are on the rise again as seen on http://www.gibbons-realty.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United States of America Travel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 47 min Agents of Corruption 388,435
News Washington, D.C. - the District of Columbia Jun 9 Medewiwin 1
News This Day in History: April 3 Apr '16 Jane Lucy Marie 1
News Obama's missing executive order; Federal Regist... Mar '16 wild child 1
News Exclusive - "Ted Cruz: Hillary - Embodies The C... (Apr '15) Apr '15 kuda 2
News Celebrations mark Battle of New Orleans bicente... (Jan '15) Jan '15 TRAIL OF TEARS 1
News New York City Courts Democratic National Committee (Aug '14) Aug '14 Le Jimbo 7
More from around the web