Thousands march in Japan gay pride pa...

Thousands march in Japan gay pride parade

There are 6 comments on the Canada.com story from Apr 29, 2012, titled Thousands march in Japan gay pride parade. In it, Canada.com reports that:

Vancouver Sun Garden columnist Steve Whysall tours VanDusen Botanical Garden's Plant Sale.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Canada.com.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Apr 29, 2012
Courageous Brothers and Sister!

Congratulations!

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#2 Apr 29, 2012
From what I've always been led to understand, the Japanese don't have a problem with homosexual activity so as with the concept of same-sex orientation and living as a gay couple. Wonder if this view still holds.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#3 Apr 29, 2012
JohnInToronto wrote:
From what I've always been led to understand, the Japanese don't have a problem with homosexual activity so as with the concept of same-sex orientation and living as a gay couple. Wonder if this view still holds.
What still hold is conformity to the group, and almost universal dependence upon the corporate daimyo for livelihood.

Since: Jul 09

Indy/Philly/Toronto

#4 Apr 29, 2012
Japan doesn't have the 'taboo' about sex that some other countries have. Even though the general culture is to be a productive part of the whole, personal feelings and preferences are respected. The fact that 'sex workers' were included in the mix says something right there.
But as we all know, being gay is NOT just about sex and Japan's real challenge will be to integrate diversity into a generally homogenized society.
But if anyone can do it ... they can and they will.
Mormon Dead Jew Baptisms

Cheltenham, PA

#5 Apr 29, 2012
2,500 in a city of tens of millions, and NYC has had 100k plus marching each year for at least a decade.

Taiwan sounds farther along.

Yes, I'd say the activist's comment that awareness of glbt rights in Japan is quite low was on target.

Maybe glbt face less overt hatred and discrimination in Japan, as opposed to Alabama, and so have less of an incentive to organize.

FaFoxy

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#6 Apr 29, 2012
When are we pulling our troops out of Japan ??? Haven't they been there long enough ?!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tokyo, Japan Travel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Japan Michelin-star restaurant closed after foo... Jun '16 Ainu 2
News Japanese hail Hiroshima visit, say apology not ... May '16 Ainu 173
News Sucked into deflation again - Japan's US$2 cup ... May '16 Yakult 1
News 'Being black can be more fun than being gay' (Jan '16) Jan '16 WasteWater 2
why chinese women are better than shity japanes... (Aug '11) Jan '16 From A Japanese girl 11
News Abe's diplomatic coup (Jan '16) Jan '16 Ainu 1
News Chinese tourists flock to Japan amid weak yen (Aug '15) Aug '15 Ainu 1
More from around the web