Serbia has to mend ties with Kosovo - EU Commission

Full story: The Star Online

The European Commission president told Serbia on Thursday it needed to mend ties with Kosovo before it can advance towards EU membership but did not explicitly ask Belgrade to recognise the independence of its former province.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of43
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
lol

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2012

Judged:

The European Commission president told Serbia on Thursday it needed to mend ties with Kosovo before it can advance towards EU membership but did not explicitly ask Belgrade to recognise the independence of its former province.

Speaking after a meeting with newly-elected Serbian President Tomislav Nikolic in Brussels, the EU's Jose Manuel Barroso said "normalisation" of relations with breakaway Kosovo was vital for Serbia. Belgrade staunchly opposed Pristina's secession in 2008.

"It remains an absolutely central condition for moving to the next stage of EU progress," Barroso told reporters.

On his first trip to Brussels since being elected on May 20, Nikolic faced a test of whether he can reconcile his nationalist positions with a passage towards eventual EU accession.

Ahead of the trip, he said he wanted to know beyond a shadow of a doubt whether recognising the independence of Kosovo is a quid pro quo for European Union membership.

But Barroso sidestepped the issue, which in itself is divisive in the EU. Five out of the bloc's 27 states also refuse to recognise Kosovo as independent.

Nikolic says he has given up the dream of a "Greater Serbia" that fuelled the Yugoslav wars of the 1990s and now shares the goal of EU accession.

However, Western diplomats fear he could take a harder line than his pro-European predecessor Boris Tadic on the thorny issue of Kosovo - a majority-Albanian territory which many Serbs regard as the cradle of their nation.

Serbia was granted EU candidate status in March after Tadic struck deals on recognition of Kosovo travel documents, car licence plates and Kosovo's representation in regional conferences, several of the many issues that need resolving between the two.

The status means negotiations towards membership can start when the EU decides, although Barroso declined to give a starting date.

Nikolic said he had been told Serbia would not have to go as far as formal recognition of Kosovo.

"I was assured that the European Union will not demand from us to recognise Kosovo officially, but demand from us to have a better relationship," he said. "It is of central importance for us to try ... to be accepted by the European Union and start the negotiations this autumn."
Kurac palac pravoslavac

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2012

No need to recognise a province but some autonomy could be possible
Serbonazis

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2012

Judged:

Kurac palac pravoslavac wrote:
Full recognition of Kosovo is needed. No more paying games you servoslaves.
Hmm

Belgrade, Serbia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2012

Slave4Serbs wrote:
<quoted text>Full recognition of Kosovo is no where near! More as5 kissing to Serb Gods!
lol you stupid fck!
Kurac palac pravoslavac

Adelaide, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Serbonazis wrote:
<quoted text>Full recognition of Kosovo is needed. No more paying games you servoslaves.
read above, read the res 1244, not needed and never will be you dumb american.
Serbonazis

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

<quoted text> read above, read the res 1244, not needed and never will be you dumb american.
After USA and most EU and many other countries recognition of Kosovo this 1244 is absolutely obselete.you dumb servians. accept the reality and facts.
barry

Gawler, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

some autonomy?
u sound like u think serbia actually has a choice.
they had that then milosevic took it away.
then they fought for it ..and won independance

“Yorkshire till I Die!”

Since: Jun 09

Keighley, Yorkshire, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

<quoted text> read above, read the res 1244, not needed and never will be you dumb american.
Kosovo's independence is perfectly in line with UNSCR 1244 you mongoloid.

However Serbia's 2006 constitution is not, that violates UNSCR 1244.

What is it like living in a country which recognises Kosovo?

Personally I think Australia is a rather ironic place for Serbs to live because as we all know Australia is full of convicts; and Serbs are all convicted War Criminals.

DOUBLE WHAMMY!

We should ship more of you convicts out to the colonies!

#BANTER!
yummi

Lįrisa, Greece

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Ijanderson977 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kosovo's independence is perfectly in line with UNSCR 1244 you mongoloid.
However Serbia's 2006 constitution is not, that violates UNSCR 1244.
What is it like living in a country which recognises Kosovo?
Personally I think Australia is a rather ironic place for Serbs to live because as we all know Australia is full of convicts; and Serbs are all convicted War Criminals.
DOUBLE WHAMMY!
We should ship more of you convicts out to the colonies!
#BANTER!
And who are you to decide whom to ship out?

Old colonial BS.

“Yorkshire till I Die!”

Keighley, Yorkshire, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

yummi wrote:
<quoted text>
And who are you to decide whom to ship out?
Old colonial BS.
Who am I to decide whom ship out? Someone who understands what a joke is, that is who.
United Albanian

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

Ijanderson977 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who am I to decide whom ship out? Someone who understands what a joke is, that is who.
It's no joke but reality Kosova is a independent state, Serbia has to recognise Kosova as state and new country, to move forward in eu . It's just REALITY and u have to accept that no choice!!!!
Banovic

Slovenia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

United Albanian wrote:
<quoted text>It's no joke but reality Kosova is a independent state, Serbia has to recognise Kosova as state and new country, to move forward in eu . It's just REALITY and u have to accept that no choice!!!!
Adelaide Zombie

Free Italian Dalmatia
Serbonazis

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2012

Banovic wrote:
<quoted text>
Adelaide Zombie
Free Italian Dalmatia
Dalmatia is already Croatia, you dumb servoslave.
Banovic

Slovenia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2012

Serbonazis wrote:
<quoted text>Kosovo is already Serbia you dumb alvanianslave.
T-72A

“Yorkshire till I Die!”

Keighley, Yorkshire, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Banovic wrote:
<quoted text>
T-72A
Yeh and Slovenia is British-French-German puppet state.
barry

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Why does majority of english people have yellow teeth? Would you explain it to me, is it in fashion or something?
Uganda

Brno, Czech Republic

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Estonian Uzbekistan is just a bunch of stupid Polandists. Uganda best Cambodia.

“Hello”

Since: Jul 09

Belgrade

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Who the hell are you now?
Tor with the hammer

Mosjųen, Norway

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Shomi wrote:
Who the hell are you now?
Shomi. Give him some bananas and he will go back to africa and hanging in the trees-:)
Milos

Slovenia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Ijanderson977 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeh and Slovenia is British-French-German puppet state.
Freedom for Falklands

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of43
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••