Nationwide Post Office Closings Must Stop

Full story: Daily Kos 6
The US Postal Service is on a tear, shutting down post offices right and left across the country. Full Story
oleKeller

Dallas, TX

#1 Jul 26, 2011
Today, I went to the mailbox to pick up one advertising leaflet. I pill my bills on line, send emails instead of letters and use FEDEX or UPS for that occassional package. Why do we need the post office?
oleKeller

Dallas, TX

#2 Jul 26, 2011
Today, I went to the mailbox to pick up one advertising leaflet. I pay my bills on line, send emails instead of letters and use FEDEX or UPS for that occassional package. Why do we need the post office?
concerned american

Olive Branch, MS

#4 Aug 23, 2011
oleKeller wrote:
Today, I went to the mailbox to pick up one advertising leaflet. I pill my bills on line, send emails instead of letters and use FEDEX or UPS for that occassional package. Why do we need the post office?
we need the postal service to support union wages, retirement, and pensions for our postal workers.
Huh

Clearlake, CA

#6 Aug 23, 2011
concerned american wrote:
<quoted text>
we need the postal service to support union wages, retirement, and pensions for our postal workers.
They have been doing just that for years. Unfortunately, they have neglected efficiency, good business practices, and common sense all the while, so they are hopelessly broke.

"For the first nine months of fiscal 2011, the Postal Service's operating losses totaled more than $5.5 billion. Financial managers expect to tap out a $15 billion line of credit from the Treasury Department by the end of next month. Despite constant cost-cutting, the agency's financial condition is reaching a "crisis level," according to the Government Accountability Office. Postal managers now want to slash the size of the career workforce, which now totals about 560,000, by about 40 percent in the next few years.

Overall, the Postal Service has to fill a $20 billion budget gap between now and the end of 2014 to regain profitability, Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe said last week."

http://www.federaltimes.com/article/20110821/...

It is my guess that the former Soviet Union suffered many of the same problems as it slowly became insolvant.
bizzybee

Irving, TX

#9 Sep 7, 2011
concerned american wrote:
<quoted text>
They can go to work to Fedex and UPS since their business will be picking up.
Huh

Clearlake, CA

#11 Sep 8, 2011
bizzybee wrote:
<quoted text>They can go to work to Fedex and UPS since their business will be picking up.
You got it. The USPS has run its course just like the old soviet union. The union has milked the profitability out of the system,(80% of their income is dedicated to salary/benefits, Fed-ex and UPS run at around 60% with equitable individual compensation packages), and now, there will be no salvation for the entire USPS system this side of a huge government bailout that WE the people cannot afford. The numbers are astounding. The USPS will lose $285 billion over the next decade absent huge structural salary/pension changes. Congress needs to stop the bleeding by selling whatever USPS assets it can immediately, and let the private sector take up the slack.
A very sad statement about the effects of public employee union election campaign dollar influence over corrupt politicians.
They have both milked the USPS cow dry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Francisco Travel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama heads to Bay Area Friday to raise money f... Oct 10 WillObamaLandGrab... 1
17 Things We Wish We'd Known Before Moving To S... Sep '14 Pink Gay 1
East Bay Teacher Tweets About Wanting to Stab H... Sep '14 Lt Oakland PD 2
The San Jose skyline is seen from City Hall in ... May '14 House of Friendship 1
Asian-Americans need to be part of the immigrat... (Nov '13) Apr '14 Quirky 75
S.F., Israeli dance companies join for - Gate o... (Mar '14) Mar '14 SHYKORA PAUL arts 1
Hundreds more SF homeless (Mar '14) Mar '14 do not be fooled 1

San Francisco Travel People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE