Aborigine rage after golliwog doll goes on sale in tourist shops in Australia

May 20, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Daily Mail

The black-faced dolls, imported from China by an Australian firm, have begun appearing in tourist and novelty shops in resorts north of Brisbane - and Aboriginal elders are furious.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of87
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Apr 11

Roma, QLD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Judged:

scooterman wrote:
<quoted text>Golliwogs are quite legal to sell in Australia.

As for the comments from the elder stating that the dolls were offensive, should be banned, doesn't bring unity within the community or 'bring back' equity etc I'd advise him to take up Olympic Games archery because he can draw a freakishly long bow.

For starters there is absolutely no connection between golliwogs and Aborigines at all and those who attempt to make a connection are merely feigning offence for the attention.

Since when did unity and equality in a community depend on the supposed qualities of a child's doll?

Secondly, golliwogs are intended for young children who fail to see any sort of political incorrectness or racist indoctrination in them and I doubt that many get sold to white supremacists at Christmas time.
^ This.

These dolls are as racist as Barbies, they are dolls for children.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Judged:

Bob's a bit of a loud mouth and doesn't speak for indigenous outside urban areas, he gets pretty hot under the collar makes things worse at times. He should be proud of his heritage and not wander down the racist track he supposedly hates

Golliwogs refer to Africans and always have, my sister had one as a kid and loved it. Other kids wanted a black doll as well, as they had white ones. Pretty funny when you thin of it, all the claims of it being racist and the kids just saw them as a bit like them. Maybe some whit supremacists should complain about the depictions of whites in dolls, Barby and Ken could be classed as pretty offensive because the demean the mentality of whites and make them look stupid for their obsession with fashion and bizarre looks.

Bob's a bit like Mansell, but is really indigenous whilst Mansell is a ring in.

Since: Jan 12

Where The Wild Things Grow

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Palawa wrote:
Bob's a bit of a loud mouth and doesn't speak for indigenous outside urban areas, he gets pretty hot under the collar makes things worse at times. He should be proud of his heritage and not wander down the racist track he supposedly hates
Golliwogs refer to Africans and always have, my sister had one as a kid and loved it. Other kids wanted a black doll as well, as they had white ones. Pretty funny when you thin of it, all the claims of it being racist and the kids just saw them as a bit like them. Maybe some whit supremacists should complain about the depictions of whites in dolls, Barby and Ken could be classed as pretty offensive because the demean the mentality of whites and make them look stupid for their obsession with fashion and bizarre looks.
Bob's a bit like Mansell, but is really indigenous whilst Mansell is a ring in.
Yes, I'm sure if we all tried hard enough we could find some toy which offends our sensibilities - I do think some people get carried away - actually my mother gave those Golliwog dolls, which she made, to all her grandchildren, including those whose mother is Indigenous, my sister-in-law certainly didn't take offence, but then, she's an intelligent woman.
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

scooterman wrote:
<quoted text>Secondly, golliwogs are intended for young children who fail to see any sort of political incorrectness or racist indoctrination in them and I doubt that many get sold to white supremacists at Christmas time.
sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the term was 'regional'- no, not very nice, a bit sad though, my mother used to make those Golliwogs, along with Raggedy Anne and Raggedy Andy dolls, teddy bears, clowns etc - I remember how popular they were as gifts. I never associated Golliwogs with anything to do with people - they were dolls.
I take both your points on board. However history says otherwise

After the publication of Florence Upton's world wide best selling 1895 book, "The Adventures of Two Dutch Dolls and a Golliwogg". the term "golliwog" was used both as a reference to the children's toy and as a generic slang term for black people. In the UK and the Commonwealth, "golliwog" perhaps became "wog," a racial slur applied to dark-skinned people worldwide.
http://www.ferris.edu/JIMCROW/golliwog/
Dr. David Pilgrim, Professor of Sociology
Ferris State University

Upton's Golliwogg character, like the rag doll which inspired it, was ugly. He was often drawn with paws instead of hands and feet. He had a coal black face, thick lips, wide eyes, and a mass of long unruly hair. He was a cross between a dwarf-sized black minstrel and an animal. The appearance was distorted and frightening**

**MacGregor, R. M.(1992). The Golliwog: Innocent doll to symbol of racism. In Danna, S. R.(Ed.), Advertising and popular culture: Studies in variety and versatility. Bowling Green, OH: Bowling Green State University Popular Press.

Apparently Macgregor's work is the only academic study of the historic importance of the golliwog.

People who say the doll is harmless should have their head's examined.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
After the publication of Florence Upton's world wide best selling 1895 book, "The Adventures of Two Dutch Dolls and a Golliwogg". the term "golliwog" was used both as a reference to the children's toy and as a generic slang term for black people. In the UK and the Commonwealth, "golliwog" perhaps became "wog," a racial slur applied to dark-skinned people worldwide.
Ferris State University
Upton's Golliwogg character, like the rag doll which inspired it, was ugly. He was often drawn with paws instead of hands and feet. He had a coal black face, thick lips, wide eyes, and a mass of long unruly hair. He was a cross between a dwarf-sized black minstrel and an animal. The appearance was distorted and frightening**
**MacGregor, R. M.(1992). The Golliwog: Innocent doll to symbol of racism. In Danna, S. R.(Ed.), Advertising and popular culture: Studies in variety and versatility. Bowling Green, OH: Bowling Green State University Popular Press.
Apparently Macgregor's work is the only academic study of the historic importance of the golliwog.
Well Elias, the doll is harmless, people's perceptions may not be however - and yes, it may have 'evolved' into something quite distasteful in terms of a symbol of racism. Thank you for that information, however, I repeat that in my childhood it was a harmless toy and as for it being of 'frightening' appearance - have you visited the toy section of any large retain store lately - there are far more frightening toys there than Golliwogs. I have seen many a young child cuddling monster toys, some with just one huge eye, or distorted arms and legs - so I don't believe the physical appearance of the Golliwog is an issue - maybe the manufacturers should make some white Golliwogs, then see who complains.
interesting 666

Keilor, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

chairman of the Centre for Indigenous Cultural Policy, said the dolls were ‘offensive".......
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Elias, the doll is harmless, people's perceptions may not be however - and yes, it may have 'evolved' into something quite distasteful in terms of a symbol of racism. Thank you for that information, however, I repeat that in my childhood it was a harmless toy and as for it being of 'frightening' appearance - have you visited the toy section of any large retain store lately - there are far more frightening toys there than Golliwogs. I have seen many a young child cuddling monster toys, some with just one huge eye, or distorted arms and legs - so I don't believe the physical appearance of the Golliwog is an issue - maybe the manufacturers should make some white Golliwogs, then see who complains.
I take your's and Scooterman's collective points into consideration. Yes the doll itself isn't the problem it's the perception. I'm afraid while it represents nostalgia for your generation's childhood it represents the sinister face of racism for people like myself.

I'm afraid seeing it in shop windows is like seeing a burning cross on my front lawn. It is harmful for our mental health.

interesting 666

Keilor, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

imagine if white fellas tried to sell these to aboriginals in aboriginal community lol...
AlwaysKeen

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Has anyone seen these for sale in a shops in Aus? I've only seen them online?
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Judged:

AlwaysKeen wrote:
Has anyone seen these for sale in a shops in Aus? I've only seen them online?
Yeah, seen them in a gift shop in Knox Shopping centre Melbourne. Ironically the lady who owns the shop is quite nice.

Since: Apr 11

Roma, QLD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Judged:

sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe the manufacturers should make some white Golliwogs, then see who complains.
That would be an interesting experiment, see how many of the do gooders get insulted for white people.
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Judged:

Australian Bigot wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be an interesting experiment, see how many of the do gooders get insulted for white people.
White golliwog?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WrHgKxy8DVg/TfAJR8l...

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
Many an older dark skinned person remembers the label at school with little fondness.
Like creating little "gook" dolls and selling it in Chinatown.
Golliwog is a character from Enid' blyton's Noddy series and he was depicted as a naughty golliwog.....so the Black negro's tood offence and said it was aimed at them and proceeded to have Noddy taken off or at least Golliwog removed...the series was also attacked because people claimed that big ears was gay...and so presumebly was Noddy.....I personally think it is the mind of the person inflicting their bias and hate onto everyone else...needless to say poor old Noddy wasn't the same without Mr. Golliwog...and then they even stopped making the dolls after more complaints of racism.....Dick and Dora Nip and fluff went pretty much the same way because of it's implication on the male being the dominant...go figure....we are brain washed everyday to buy something and yet something that gave so much pleasure for kids was targeted and removed.... Maybe the white people should have a go at those cabbage patch kids...their ugly as a MF but the kids love them.....
Ahomana funnyDique Fixers

Sylva, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Judged:

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Golliwog is a character from Enid' blyton's Noddy series and he was depicted as a naughty golliwog.....so the Black negro's tood offence and said it was aimed at them and proceeded to have Noddy taken off or at least Golliwog removed...the series was also attacked because people claimed that big ears was gay...and so presumebly was Noddy.....I personally think it is the mind of the person inflicting their bias and hate onto everyone else...needless to say poor old Noddy wasn't the same without Mr. Golliwog...and then they even stopped making the dolls after more complaints of racism.....Dick and Dora Nip and fluff went pretty much the same way because of it's implication on the male being the dominant...go figure....we are brain washed everyday to buy something and yet something that gave so much pleasure for kids was targeted and removed.... Maybe the white people should have a go at those cabbage patch kids...their ugly as a MF but the kids love them.....
Given up funnyDyke being a coward?

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Ahomana funnyDique Fixers wrote:
<quoted text>
Given up funnyDyke being a coward?
What, you can't come up with anything new so you just repeat yourself on every thread?....You are sooo sad...
Ahomana funnyDique Fixers

Sylva, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
What, you can't come up with anything new so you just repeat yourself on every thread?....You are sooo sad...
......toooo bad.

BABOON OR RAT?
AlwaysKeen

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

Judged:

Thanks for that! I can't believe these are being sold in stores - online maybe, but this is just pure ignorance and race hate.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

Judged:

Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
I take your's and Scooterman's collective points into consideration. Yes the doll itself isn't the problem it's the perception. I'm afraid while it represents nostalgia for your generation's childhood it represents the sinister face of racism for people like myself.
I'm afraid seeing it in shop windows is like seeing a burning cross on my front lawn. It is harmful for our mental health.
I understand, we will view the Golliwog differently according to our experience of what it represents - that's reasonable.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

Judged:

sairla wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I'm sure if we all tried hard enough we could find some toy which offends our sensibilities - I do think some people get carried away - actually my mother gave those Golliwog dolls, which she made, to all her grandchildren, including those whose mother is Indigenous, my sister-in-law certainly didn't take offence, but then, she's an intelligent woman.
I've never seen any inanimate object or representation of someone or things as anything but as they are, it's racists who see these negative things within them and i believe that boils down to their entrapment in and ideology of some kind.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

Judged:

Elias wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Ferris State University
Spoken like as true ideologist, mentally warped. You always see what you want to see ad in ideologists, that is always to find a negative to be able to divide people into categories that suit them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of87
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Queensland, Australia Travel Discussions

Search the Queensland, Australia Travel Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Pop singer's 'topless' pic leaves Indians miffed (Jul '12) Jan '14 goodguy 75
Chinese embracing more of Australia (Jul '13) Jul '13 truth is 24
Clash over sex worker rights in rural Australia (Jun '13) Jun '13 klink 2
Australia: Adjusting to Outback time (Apr '13) Apr '13 _0rion_ 1
Now, Cyclone Tim looms large (Mar '13) Mar '13 spacer 6
Travelling for treatment: breast cancer in regi... (Feb '13) Feb '13 cancercure 1
Newman meets 'powerful' Chinese Govt official i... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Anglo-Saxon Celt 2
•••
•••
•••
•••