The President has failed us

The President has failed us

There are 329232 comments on the Times News story from Jun 9, 2012, titled The President has failed us. In it, Times News reports that:

This week, I decided to list the reasons I would not vote for Barack Obama in the next election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times News.

Snake Eyes

Long Beach, CA

#101544 Feb 10, 2013
Mayor Bloomberg is on a campaign to make New York City a better place to live. Guess what he's done now? He's outlawing Styrofoam cups. He wants New York City to have the nation's toughest cup control laws.
Liberals Own It

Riverside, CA

#101548 Feb 10, 2013
Dorner morphing into an anti-hero?
posted at 2:01 pm on February 10, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

I have, at times, been accused of being somewhat naive when it comes to modern culture, both by family members and readers alike. Perhaps you’re all on to something there, because I certainly never saw this coming. As the search continues for alleged cop killer Christopher Dorner, there is an emerging theme – at least on the West Coast – that perhaps Dorner is some sort of Robin Hood, standing up for the little guy and taking it to the corrupt LA police force.

Read more: http://hotair.com/archives/2013/02/10/dorner-...
Liberals Own It

Riverside, CA

#101549 Feb 10, 2013
Obama’s Turn in Bush’s Bind

By PETER BAKER
Published: February 9, 2013

WASHINGTON — If President Obama tuned in to the past week’s bracing debate on Capitol Hill about terrorism, executive power, secrecy and due process, he might have recognized the arguments his critics were making: He once made some of them himself.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/world/obama...

“Life is what you make of it”

Since: Jan 13

The good ol' USA

#101550 Feb 10, 2013
Liberals Own It wrote:
I have, at times, been accused of being somewhat naive when it comes to modern culture, both by family members and readers alike. Perhaps you’re all on to something there, because I certainly never saw this coming. As the search continues for alleged cop killer Christopher Dorner, there is an emerging theme – at least on the West Coast – that perhaps Dorner is some sort of Robin Hood, standing up for the little guy and taking it to the corrupt LA police force.
You are 100% correct. You're naive.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Since: Dec 09

Gangland, North America

#101551 Feb 10, 2013
Liberals Own It wrote:
China Eclipses U.S. as Biggest Trading Nation Measured in Goods
By Bloomberg News - Feb 10, 2013 8:01 AM PT
China surpassed the U.S. to become the world’s biggest trading nation last year as measured by the sum of exports and imports of goods, official figures from both countries show.
U.S. exports and imports of goods last year totaled $3.82 trillion, the U.S. Commerce Department said last week. China’s customs administration reported last month that the country’s trade in goods in 2012 amounted to $3.87 trillion.
Read more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-09/chin...
Americans can no longer afford products made in the USA so now the USA must rely on cheap goods from China.

When China said that America was a the paper tiger... it was no joke.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Gangland, North America

#101552 Feb 10, 2013
Liberals Own It wrote:
Robin Hood indeed.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Gangland, North America

#101553 Feb 10, 2013
Fetch wrote:
<quoted text>
"focus on improvements to our nation's mental health system"
an obvious cry for help
So what's a sound solution?
Liberals Own It

Riverside, CA

#101554 Feb 10, 2013
Christopher Dorner Manhunt:$1 Million Reward Offered For Capture of Fugitive Ex-Cop

By CLAYTON SANDELL (@Clayton_Sandell) and ALYSSA NEWCOMB (@alyssanewcomb)
Feb. 10, 2013

A $1 million reward was offered today for information leading to the arrest of Christopher Dorner, as authorities in Big Bear, Calif., scaled back their search for the disgruntled ex-cop, who is suspected in three revenge killings.

"Hopefully the reward will motivate people that may be involved with assisting him or might be reluctant to talk to us to call us and to put an end to this," Los Angeles police Sgt. Rudy Lopez told The Associated Press.

Read more: http://abcnews.go.com/US/christopher-dorner-m...

“Life is what you make of it”

Since: Jan 13

The good ol' USA

#101557 Feb 10, 2013
Fetch wrote:
<quoted text>
did robin hood kill innocent women who by chance were someones daughter? you are an azzhole
Reminds me of the movie "Natural Born Killers"- it's all well and good until YOU are in the killer's sights.

“One Night”

Since: Aug 12

It Just Disappeared

#101559 Feb 10, 2013
Running Like The Wind ~ The Marshall Tucker Band
http://youtu.be/smFcaCD8U_4

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#101561 Feb 10, 2013
-Dont Panic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you angry about news networks not being legally obligated to tell the truth?
Y'all right wingers aren't too bright
I am disturbed that the news is able to twist, turn, and edit information to fit their agenda such as NBC did with Trayvon Martin 911 call and with the Sandy Hook father at the Congressional hearing.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Gangland, North America

#101562 Feb 10, 2013
Liberals Own It wrote:
Christopher Dorner Manhunt:$1 Million Reward Offered For Capture of Fugitive Ex-Cop
By CLAYTON SANDELL (@Clayton_Sandell) and ALYSSA NEWCOMB (@alyssanewcomb)
Feb. 10, 2013
A $1 million reward was offered today for information leading to the arrest of Christopher Dorner, as authorities in Big Bear, Calif., scaled back their search for the disgruntled ex-cop, who is suspected in three revenge killings.
"Hopefully the reward will motivate people that may be involved with assisting him or might be reluctant to talk to us to call us and to put an end to this," Los Angeles police Sgt. Rudy Lopez told The Associated Press.
Read more: http://abcnews.go.com/US/christopher-dorner-m...
Pretty stupid to throw out a reward when the State doesn't even allow private citizens to obtain a CCW permit or be in public with a loaded gun or rifle.

Also... the way California requires its people to transport a weapon seems like a death wish considering the fact that when one does find Dorner, they have to manage to get to their trunk since that's where you're supposed to have it while driving on the streets.... unlock the trunk....unlock the gun... unlock the ammo... load it and then if you're not littered with holes yet... you can shoot at Dorner with a 10 capacity clip while Dorner sprays you with an assault rife with a 30 round clip.

Rel fcking nice California.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Gangland, North America

#101563 Feb 10, 2013
Fetch wrote:
<quoted text>
that is a sound solution. get help
You can help me alright. Come on over and cut my grass or i'll report you to ICE.

Location hidden

#101564 Feb 10, 2013
-Dont Panic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you angry about news networks not being legally obligated to tell the truth?
Like I said before...Republican Judge makes a right leaning decision in favor of Fox News in 2000 and now republicans don't like the president that they have created.
How did you come up with a "Republican Judge"?

----------
In a six-page written decision, the Court of Appeals decided the FCC’s position against news distortion is only a “policy,” not a “law, rule, or regulation.”

http://www.philly2philly.com/politics_communi...

Location hidden

#101565 Feb 10, 2013
American Lady wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly!
I "second" THAT!
They have NO idea WHAT we think or HOW we interpret ANYTHING!
BEST for them to keep their mouths SHUT on anyone!
I am an ADULT, so are you! I speak for myself!
So do, I believe, "you" ...
No one else unless ASKED to do so ... ;0)
Even then that person asked, can say NO!
That's the way I was raised ;0)
Thanks AL!

I have no problem with someone disagreeing with me, but DO NOT put words in my mouth or assume you KNOW what I think or believe.

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Gangland, North America

#101566 Feb 10, 2013
Fetch wrote:
<quoted text>
did robin hood kill innocent women who by chance were someones daughter? you are an azzhole
It sounds wrong & cruel but the LAPD did this guy dirty.
Justice Dale

Wichita, KS

#101568 Feb 10, 2013
Rico from East Los II wrote:
<quoted text>
The LAPD is a corrupt police force. This is just another Rampart scandal in the making. Dorner was wronged or framed for being a whistleblower and the LAPD brass simply fcked with the wrong... and let me stress that... the wrong guy.
Dorner has proven he wasn't LAPD material.

Location hidden

#101569 Feb 10, 2013
Liberals Own It wrote:
Obama’s Turn in Bush’s Bind
By PETER BAKER
Published: February 9, 2013
WASHINGTON — If President Obama tuned in to the past week’s bracing debate on Capitol Hill about terrorism, executive power, secrecy and due process, he might have recognized the arguments his critics were making: He once made some of them himself.
Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/world/obama...
For four years, Mr. Obama has benefited at least in part from the reluctance of Mr. Bush’s most virulent critics to criticize a Democratic president. Some liberals acknowledged in recent days that they were willing to accept policies they once would have deplored as long as they were in Mr. Obama’s hands, not Mr. Bush’s.

“We trust the president,” former Gov. Jennifer Granholm of Michigan said on Current TV.“And if this was Bush, I think that we would all be more up in arms because we wouldn’t trust that he would strike in a very targeted way and try to minimize damage rather than contain collateral damage.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/world/obama...
----------

Unbelievable!!!!!!

“Rico's Are Everywhere”

Gangland, North America

#101570 Feb 10, 2013
Fetch wrote:
<quoted text>
america sold out to cheap labor no more no less. blame your government thats who let it happen
This is what free markets and free enterprise is all about. The USA has a federal minimum wage that is about 8 bucks an hr.

Raise that wage and American's will have more purchasing power. Maybe they won't need to buy the cheap Made in China product any more becuase they can afford the Made in the USA product.
Snake Eyes

Long Beach, CA

#101574 Feb 10, 2013
Made in USA makes comeback as a marketing tool

It's becoming downright American to make stuff in America.

Small manufacturers, craftsmen and retailers are marketing the Made-in-USA tag to score do-gooder points with consumers for employing stateside, says Margarita Mendoza, founder of the Made in America Movement, a lobbying organization for small manufacturers.

It's working: Over 80% of Americans are willing to pay more for Made-in-USA products, 93% of whom say it's because they want to keep jobs in the USA, according to a survey released in November by Boston Consulting Group. In ultra-partisan times, it's one of the few issues both Democrats and Republicans agree on.

When considering similar products made in the U.S. vs. China, the average American is willing to pay up to 60% more for U.S.-made wooden baby toys, 30% more for U.S.-made mobile phones and 19% more for U.S.-made gas ranges, the survey says.

Now Wal-Mart wants a piece of the action. The behemoth, embroiled over the past year with worker protests and foreign bribery investigations, pledged recently to source $50 billion of products in the U.S. over the next 10 years, says Wal-Mart spokesman Randy Hargrove. They're not alone. Mendoza says both Caterpillar and 3M have also made efforts to source more in the U.S.

"Regardless if this is a PR ploy or not, it doesn't matter. A lot more people will look for the Made-in-USA tag," she says, adding that, considering Wal-Mart's size,$5 billion a year is only "a drop in the bucket," for the retailer whose 2012 sales reached almost $444 billion.

Kyle Rancourt says his American-made shoe company, Rancourt & Co., hit it big as concern over U.S. jobs mounted when the recession hit in 2009. But he says he lies awake at night worrying if Made-in-USA is just a passing fad.

"It's inevitable that times will change," Rancourt says. "But I am still holding out hope that this has become a core value of our country."

Mendoza says that if buying American turns out to be a passing fad, the country is in trouble.

"If they don't understand the economic factor, we need to pull on their heartstrings," she says. "The thought of having a country like China taking over, that alone is bone-chilling."

But do folks care enough about U.S. manufacturing jobs to permanently change the way they shop? David Aaker, vice chairman of brand consulting firm Prophet, says the companies that get the most credit for being American, such as Apple and Cisco, don't even source products in the U.S.

"I don't think it matters unless it becomes visible," Aaker says. "The most common way for that is if something bad happens, like if Nike gets some press about conditions in factories overseas."

But Rancourt says his customers believe foreign-made shoes lack the soul of their American counterparts.

"There's hundreds if not thousands of workers working on those factories. They do one specific job, maybe put an eyelet into a specific place," he says. "They don't have an idea or concept of a finished product and how that should look."

Just watch out for phony Made-in-USA claims. It's illegal to claim a product is U.S.-made unless both the product and all it's components are sourced in the U.S. Even products that could imply a phony country of origin with a flag or country outline are verboten. Julia Solomon Ensor, enforcement lawyer at the Federal Trade Commission, says the FTC gets "several complaints each month about potentially deceptive 'Made-in-the-USA' claims."

It sets a bad example. Mendoza says the U.S. needs to let kids know it's OK to work in manufacturing. "Not all children are going to grow up to be dentists, and lawyers, and investment bankers."

Read more

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North America Travel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mayor's aides outspend Kenoi Mon Joe Balls 2
News Taxis on Las Vegas Strip go idle in protest of ... May 30 Emblba 2
News A Las Vegas subway under The Strip? May 30 spytheweb 1
News Winnipeg staying idle in battle against elimina... May 28 getoutta myline 3
News Innovation in Space: Canadian companies plannin... May 27 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News Stephen Hume: Steep ferry fares mean hardships ... May 26 Jonathan G 1
News Las Vegas feels magnitude-4.8 earthquake 100 mi... May 24 Local 2
More from around the web