Zelaya asks Hondurans to boycott upco...

Zelaya asks Hondurans to boycott upcoming election - Summary

There are 25 comments on the Earth Times story from Sep 16, 2009, titled Zelaya asks Hondurans to boycott upcoming election - Summary. In it, Earth Times reports that:

Managua/Tegucigalpa - Ousted Honduran President Manuel Zelaya on Tuesday called upon his compatriots to boycott the presidential election scheduled for November 29.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Earth Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
edgar

United States

#1 Sep 26, 2009
Ido not think tha boycotting thge elections is going to help mr. Zelaya,s any ways but thas is my cuestion
Pillsbury Spokesboy

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Sep 26, 2009
zelaya, you can f'n die right now you commie muthufukah
John Roberts

United States

#3 Sep 26, 2009
edgar wrote:
Ido not think tha boycotting thge elections is going to help mr. Zelaya,s any ways but thas is my cuestion
Boycotting an election is the basis of the problem in Iraq.

Unable to manipulate the outcome to suit their demands, the Sunnis faction boycotted the first elections in Iraq, only to find out that everyone moved on without them, and that they didn't have representation that suited them.

I think that it's a great idea for Zelaya's supporters to boycott the elections.

Afterwards, Honduras and the rest of the world will see how little support that Zelaya actually has.
Jorge L

Maracay, Venezuela

#4 Sep 26, 2009
Humm...
Jorge L

Maracay, Venezuela

#6 Sep 26, 2009
Amanecera y veremos..
JRobert

United States

#7 Sep 27, 2009
"School bands and cheerleaders were absent, as state school teachers unions are supporting Zelaya and as private schools chose to stay away for fear of clashes."

Are the teachers in Honduras generally sympathetic with leftist/Marxist goals, as they are in the U.S.?

Also, why is there so little discussion of the fact that Zelaya's own political party has disowned him and supports the action of the Honduran government?
Pat

Quito, Ecuador

#8 Oct 24, 2009
Zelaya says he supports 100% the Resistance and what they want - the Resistance demands calling the Constitutional Congress, something that Zelaya agreed not to call - this is typical of Zelaya and shows that he will do whatever he wants if put back in office, no matter the restrictions imposed under whatever agreement is signed. The majority of Hondurans have gone to vote every four years their whole life and are not going to be stopped because of Zelayas preaching from Brazilian territory. Nobody is afraid of going to the polls, it is more dangerous riding a local bus. Zelayas only backers now are the Resistance front. By law in Honduras, the control of the Military transfers from the Executive to the TSE (Election Councel), so we may see Zelaya back in office at a time when he no longer has control over the military forces (who are already organized to see that elections are carried out as in the past). Honduras elections have always received high marks from outside observers and the process is no different this year (the president does not control elections).

Since: Apr 08

Dallas, Texas

#9 Oct 25, 2009
Zelaya can call on them to boycott the elections all that he wants...they do not number enough to actually pull that off and some people are fired up and determined to vote even if it is third party. I do say that people in general are tired of the status quo of corruption and lies. What Zelaya forgets is that his election in 2005 was one of the lowest turnouts in history and he was the 2nd most unpopular president behind Daniel Ortega in Latin America.
Of course he plans on carrying otu the assembly if he were to be restored, but there is a fly in his soup right now...not only did Micheletti hold out but it seems that Hondurans have made it abundently clear that they want the option that Micheletti offered months ago of both resigning and a third party taking over till election day. The OAS is now supporting this option. John Biehl went to DC for consultations upon learning this information from a poll he had conducted and when Zelaya refused to negotiate his restoration to power and concider the third option. Biehl is urging him to sign this agreement since it is an agreement that Hondurans want and that he needs to set his ego aside for one moment and concider what the majority want and the peace that is needed for the population before elections and to do what is needed to validate the elections..he is essentially backed into a corner...and he very well could lose the support of the OAS and the UN if he continues to be bull headed.
Jack Corsaut

Redding, CA

#10 Oct 25, 2009
The total lack of any constructive action by the administration of the U.S. will continue to be an embarrassment. With a Nobel under his belt, Obama could have a great influence of a positive and popular outcome in Honduras. That he will not is puzzling and provokes the question "why?".

“LouC”

Since: Oct 09

Des Moines IA

#11 Oct 27, 2009
I have a couple of questions? If Zelaya where to be reinstated (not that I am for that)hypothetically what could Zelaya be able to do in such a short period of time? He does not have the support of Congress, His own political party, Supreme court and military Which he would need to get anything done.

My second questions is if he where reinstated how could calling a revolt in that short period of time gather any steam to keep him in power in the middle of an elections?

Dallas, Texas

#12 Oct 28, 2009
LouC, he could convene the Constitutional assembly as he has promised...that would eliminate elections for at least two years and would disolve Congress and the Supreme Court...it doesnīt take but one day to reek that kind of disaster...

It isnīt calling for a revolt...he has already done that and largely it has not happened.

He is now claiming that if less than 50% of the population votes that the elections cannot be concidered legitimate..but 60% of the population is under the age of 18 and cannot vote because of their age..so that is a set up...not to mention that just 12% of the population voted during the 2005 elections and he won with less than 50% of that vote. SO if 60% of your population is under 18 and 10% of that population that can vote never do anyway that leaves about 30% and of those maybe 27% have the appropriate national id to vote in the first place..so about 27% are able to vote in the elections and it has always been that way...of course no one can expect us to allow children to vote so that leaves us 40% and some of those wonīt vote even if you point a gun at them and that has been how they have been forever...In the US do 150,000,000 attend the elections? Not likely.

“LouC”

Des Moines IA

#13 Oct 28, 2009
Summermoondancer wrote:
LouC, he could convene the Constitutional assembly as he has promised...that would eliminate elections for at least two years and would disolve Congress and the Supreme Court...it doesnīt take but one day to reek that kind of disaster...
It isnīt calling for a revolt...he has already done that and largely it has not happened.
He is now claiming that if less than 50% of the population votes that the elections cannot be concidered legitimate..but 60% of the population is under the age of 18 and cannot vote because of their age..so that is a set up...not to mention that just 12% of the population voted during the 2005 elections and he won with less than 50% of that vote. SO if 60% of your population is under 18 and 10% of that population that can vote never do anyway that leaves about 30% and of those maybe 27% have the appropriate national id to vote in the first place..so about 27% are able to vote in the elections and it has always been that way...of course no one can expect us to allow children to vote so that leaves us 40% and some of those wonīt vote even if you point a gun at them and that has been how they have been forever...In the US do 150,000,000 attend the elections? Not likely.
Summer, What comprises the Constitutional assembly? Is that a decree or a group of people convening? Under what other conditions does the Constitutional Assembly allow the President to call for assembly. How can they give the President that much power?

Dallas, Texas

#14 Oct 28, 2009
No, it is basically when he throws out the constitution all together and convenes assembly via a decree eliminating constitutional order that disolves the Congress and Supreme Court. He thinks that he has that much power...which is why he found himself in Costa Rica...he doesnīt have that kind of power though... Congress is the only one that can call one and even then the present written in stone articles are untouchable. However, his idea was throw out the present democratic government all together...watch what happens with Ortega.

“LouC”

Des Moines IA

#15 Oct 29, 2009
Summermoondancer wrote:
No, it is basically when he throws out the constitution all together and convenes assembly via a decree eliminating constitutional order that disolves the Congress and Supreme Court. He thinks that he has that much power...which is why he found himself in Costa Rica...he doesnīt have that kind of power though... Congress is the only one that can call one and even then the present written in stone articles are untouchable. However, his idea was throw out the present democratic government all together...watch what happens with Ortega.
Ok got it. I am glad to see that Zelaya does not have that kind of power. With the US now in the negotiations I was just wondering a scenario with Zelaya being reinstated what he could or would try. the funny thing with Ortega in Nicarauga is that it is not getting much press. HHmmm kinda sounds familiar?

Dallas, Texas

#16 Oct 29, 2009
There are only three reasons for convening a Constitutional assembly in the context of the Honduran constitution...1) you want to change the form of government to something other than a constitutional republic 2) You want to continue in power 3) You want to give away Honduran territory to someone else.

As you can see there is absolutely no good reason to call an assembly...the rest of the constitution can be reformed via Congress without any assembly needed.
Zoom

Cagua, Venezuela

#17 Oct 29, 2009
....:0

“LouC”

Des Moines IA

#18 Oct 29, 2009
Summermoondancer wrote:
There are only three reasons for convening a Constitutional assembly in the context of the Honduran constitution...1) you want to change the form of government to something other than a constitutional republic 2) You want to continue in power 3) You want to give away Honduran territory to someone else.
As you can see there is absolutely no good reason to call an assembly...the rest of the constitution can be reformed via Congress without any assembly needed.
Summer, Zelaya made a bad call in coming to Honduras. He was doing better traveling to the UN in the US and other Latin countries where he had support. I think he made a bad move on that one! He also needs a change of clothes I am sick of the cheesy black wanna be Harley Davidson leather vest and the white Stetson and greasy hair. He gives the old west a bad name the reason being that the "Good guys wore white hats and the "Bad" guys always work black hats. Adios from DSM. Oh my family hails from Comayagua " Los Burros"

Dallas, Texas

#19 Oct 29, 2009
LouC, he signed last night...he did say that he didnīt feel like he has won though and seemed to have just gave up..I think he is accepting the court and Congress probably arenīt going to return him to the presidency.
It isnīt confirmed yet but I believe that he has also agreed to leave the embassy and the US has accepted Michelettiīs consulates and are now accredited as of midnight...and all visas have been restored and the elections will be recognized.
It isnīt over though.

“LouC”

Des Moines IA

#20 Oct 30, 2009
Summermoondancer wrote:
LouC, he signed last night...he did say that he didnīt feel like he has won though and seemed to have just gave up..I think he is accepting the court and Congress probably arenīt going to return him to the presidency.
It isnīt confirmed yet but I believe that he has also agreed to leave the embassy and the US has accepted Michelettiīs consulates and are now accredited as of midnight...and all visas have been restored and the elections will be recognized.
It isnīt over though.
My how quick things change there is a article on the Drudgereport Zelaya will be restored. I hope the elections come quickly. Well lets see how much Zelaya cares about his country now by not trying to interfere in the elections

Dallas, Texas

#21 Oct 30, 2009
Drudge must be psychic then...you might want to comment to him that Congress will not be convened to discuss this until November 5 and that they are waiting for a pronouncement from the Supreme Court before they decide anything. Saveedra has also said that it must be constitutional..which means that it is not likely that Zelaya will be restored. They are wasting time now until elections...they will debate for three weeks after they convene...if not longer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nicaragua Travel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doubts as to whether Nicaraguan blast was cause... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
News Miss Gay Nicaragua to Fight Homophobia (Jun '14) Jun '14 Belle Sexton 4
New Nicaragua - Costa Rica Travel Video (Jul '13) Jul '13 Break Central Ame... 1
News Building Goodness Foundation Expands Mission to... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Nurse 6
News Sweating in the dark: blackouts in Bilwi (Jun '12) Sep '12 miami fl 2
News Why Nicaragua is a great vacation option? (May '12) Jul '12 tonto 4
Dangerous Cult living on Ometepe Island (May '12) May '12 ometepino 1
More from around the web