Death in Venice: city stages its 'fun...

Death in Venice: city stages its 'funeral' as the population sinks

There are 1 comment on the Scotsman.com story from Nov 13, 2009, titled Death in Venice: city stages its 'funeral' as the population sinks. In it, Scotsman.com reports that:

VENICE is set to hold a symbolic funeral of itself today, as the population has fallen below the key figure of 60,000. The famous lagoon city's population has been dwindling over the past 50 years as locals are forced out by high rents and replaced by millions of tourists.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Scotsman.com.

k dunn

Atlanta, GA

#1 Nov 15, 2009
no,no,no so sad. yes, we were tourists in venice in september 2008. the city was so beautiful that as we stood in san marcos square..i cried. my husband and i talk often how we would love to return to your beautiful city! i pray that magnificent venice does NOT die.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Italy Travel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News At the Vatican, Sanders blasts - immoral' wealt... Apr 22 The Pop Culture Pope 48
News Bernie Sanders says he met with Pope Francis. Apr 16 Redeemed 3
News At the Vatican, Sanders blasts a immorala wealt... Apr 15 Jon 3
News Cover-up! Italy conceals nude statues to avoid ... Jan '16 Watch out David 9
News 50 meals everyone should eat in their lifetime Nov '15 vietnam my love 1
News Vatican Blocks Gay French Ambassador, France Re... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Newt G s Next Wife 2
News Pope Francis Defends Traditional Marriage Again... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Truth Sayer 5
More from around the web