Chilling sexual harassment on tour

Oct 12, 2008 Full story: The Seattle Times 39

Just one kiss, he says, waving five Egyptian pounds at me. One kiss on the mouth, and he'll give me the equivalent of a dollar.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Oct 08

Egypt

#23 Oct 20, 2008
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely not. I have never commited a crime. Well except speeding. My sence of right and wrong is very strong.
It is fun to come here and present a view point.
I'm not a woman and can never feel what a woman feels. But sometimes I think they are just being silly and or stupid at the same time.
By that I mean why the fck didn't the poor victem go to the bathroom with her friend. WTF? She is in a foreign country nobody knows where she is, she is getting hit on all over the place so she should by then have enough brains to figure out it is a culural thing, she is in a strangers house after dark having drinks.
Yea I think if they were georgous Italian men she would have written the article with a completely different spin.
Yikes. You completely missed the point that this shouldn't have to be an issue. A girl can't even go to the toilet alone? That is a serious problem, but yet it's her fault?

Great....

“Walking Attitude”

Since: Aug 07

The Q continuum

#24 Oct 20, 2008
Yes, we know. It is disgusting to be wanted in a sexual way. Better to be a walk in freezer unit. No wonder the gov wants to give amnesty to illegals. it's the only way to keep our population from disappearing over night.
Khalid468

Norway

#25 Oct 20, 2008
I just don't understand u ppl the one who posted the article here i just need 2 ask here wat is the point?Do u think that posting it here will solve the prob?If u really feel bad abt it try 2 help talk 2 the girls around u 2 keep things within limit to stop stimulating these teenagers and u can talk 2 men in ur family 2 start talking 2 their freinds that will be better
Mike

Elizabeth, NJ

#26 Oct 20, 2008
Of course the blonde with no hair cover should have followed her friend to the bathroom.

She should have respected the local customs of covering her hair to all but her husband.

She chose to look like a whore to her host. She knew what she was doing.

When I travel I allways try to dress with local customs in mind. Not doing so can be seen allot of different ways by the people you come across

These women chose to go to a lonely mans house looking like whores. He made an advance. He didn't rape anyone.

This is not sexual haressment because the women seriously violated the dress code
leftwingsworstni ghtmare

United States

#27 Oct 20, 2008
Gotta love those muzzies and their modern day customs and behaviours!
xifsnaa

Alexandria, Egypt

#28 Oct 20, 2008
Every man must flirt with girls and make the best of the best of complments who from this preetty ladies dont love good attention not freakin one huh ?

Egypt

#29 Oct 20, 2008
leftwingsworstnightmare wrote:
Gotta love those muzzies and their modern day customs and behaviours!
That is rude, and as you come from Richardson, Texas a city with a high number of Muslims in its population I would have thought you would be a bit more open minded. It isn't a modern day custom or behavior of Muslims to act like this, Egypt has a very specific history that has caused this behavior.

BTW I know about Richardson because I'm from Dallas - I merely live and work in Egypt.
Good day.

Egypt

#30 Oct 20, 2008
Mike wrote:
Of course the blonde with no hair cover should have followed her friend to the bathroom.
She should have respected the local customs of covering her hair to all but her husband.
She chose to look like a whore to her host. She knew what she was doing.
When I travel I allways try to dress with local customs in mind. Not doing so can be seen allot of different ways by the people you come across
These women chose to go to a lonely mans house looking like whores. He made an advance. He didn't rape anyone.
This is not sexual haressment because the women seriously violated the dress code
Mike, I agree the one girl in the article might have used better judgment, but that won't change the bahavior. I find it interesting that the women are always looked at to change the men. As if men have no self control and so it's completely up to the woman.

This behavior won't stop until more people start speaking up and saying something but they do not. They walk around here like zombies and totally ignore these actions committed by Egyptian men either out of apathy or laziness.
That is sick.
That is sad.
That is wrong.
The Shadow

Canada

#31 Oct 20, 2008
I agree u should speak up about these men. Make sure u put their names all around Egypt. Also, do like I'm doing, go to the POLICE file a complaint. Maybe sooner or later they will get what's coming to them.
RamesesII

Eugene, OR

#32 Oct 20, 2008
No I understand your points Mike, and you are right. They didn't want the Egyptian dick, at least not Egyptian stranger dick. Their loss. Heheh now I sound like the rapist.
Women do have it worse off in many ways, but they still control men with their vaginas. Plus, they get to have multiple orgasms whereas we have a refractory period where we have to replenish our ball-juices. Ok, my important work is done here.
Allan

Toronto, Canada

#33 Oct 20, 2008
Alchemist girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I think women all over the world have it much worse than men. That's first. I will also say that I think women all over the world will find some good things and some bad things in any culture. Our American culture is not perfect, nor is this Egyptian culture. However, the Egyptian culture has many things within it that are FAR better than can be found in our own (and vice versa).
I personally believe all kids should be forced to visit developing (3rd world) countries before they graduate high school as manditory. It would really open their eyes and give them a little knowledge beyond their world that is so small and enclosed.
What about female genital mutilation in Egypt? Do you know anything about it?

Egypt

#34 Oct 20, 2008
Allan wrote:
<quoted text>
What about female genital mutilation in Egypt? Do you know anything about it?
I know it still exists although the practice has been outlawed. I believe it happens in more rural areas, although I'm not Egyptian so I can't say with 100% certainity. You might ask an Egyptian here for better info on this.
Mike

Astoria, NY

#35 Oct 21, 2008
Alchemist girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike, I agree the one girl in the article might have used better judgment, but that won't change the bahavior. I find it interesting that the women are always looked at to change the men. As if men have no self control and so it's completely up to the woman.
This behavior won't stop until more people start speaking up and saying something but they do not. They walk around here like zombies and totally ignore these actions committed by Egyptian men either out of apathy or laziness.
That is sick.
That is sad.
That is wrong.
Those are the judgements of an American woman in a foreign country. I thank God all cultures are different. Cellebrate the differences and travel as often as I can

I can tell by your posts your a passionate person. Cudos!

I don't have an answer to the percieved problem nor do I think it is easy.

I say percieved problem because maybe the men like the culture that they grew up with to such an extent they act out in a way to protect it. Combine that deep thought with hormones you will never undertand that drive all men to just want some sex with someone exotic to them.

I don't downplay your emotions, thoughts, or feelings. They are important to this world.

My personnal view is that a society that has a great openness to the arts has the best chance for understanding of all things.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
talented and fabulous.
Actually, who are you not to be?"

-Marianne Williamson

Have a nice day and don't start any wars over there, ok
Mike

Egypt

#36 Oct 21, 2008
lol Mike you made me laugh!
Thank you.

I must say it isn't all Egyptian men, there are a great many who are thoughtful, polite, kind and classy. But there are just too many instances where women are literally hating the thought of going outside alone because of what happens to them. However, this issue is becoming more and more of a talked about issue so my hope is that it will change soon (even if gradually).

Take care. No wars, no worries.
Toodles.
Mike

Washington, DC

#37 Oct 21, 2008
I know the feeling girls are allways undressing me with their eyes. As women embrace their sexuality they tend to become more and more bold. Just go to a Chipendale show. Women are twice as bad as men!!!lol.

You yearn for the future but I fear it!

I wish yall would learn to knaw on their palms like I do

With libertaion come responsibility!!!!!lol

Egypt

#38 Oct 21, 2008
Mike wrote:
I know the feeling girls are allways undressing me with their eyes. As women embrace their sexuality they tend to become more and more bold. Just go to a Chipendale show. Women are twice as bad as men!!!lol.
You yearn for the future but I fear it!
I wish yall would learn to knaw on their palms like I do
With libertaion come responsibility!!!!!lol
Gotta admit, Chippendales just isn't my thing, well, unless it's this:

Mike

United States

#39 Oct 21, 2008
Ha! You got me. I would have bet my cheddar popcorn you were gonna post that scene from Full Monty, I forgot about that one.

Does SNL air in Egypt? Is it dubbed? That would make it even funnier.

Egypt

#40 Oct 21, 2008
Oh no it wouldn't air here but I still keep up with things via satellite and online. Loved the Tina Fey /Palin parodies. Great stuff.
Mike

Vienna, VA

#41 Oct 21, 2008
Yea that was funny.

Do local women fear to go out or just foreign born?

Can women vote?

Where is the worst harrassement taking place? In the market, nightclub, workplace?

Do Egyptian women work? Or stay home?

Do you get asked when your husband is with you? Does he kick their butt or blame you for being so attractive?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Italy Travel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hermitage Museum Tops TripAdvisor Rankings Sep '14 dating older women 1
Which is the best way to explore Lake Como beauty? Sep '14 villalake 1
Andrew Medichini / AP Photo A Gay Wedding in Ro... (Oct '12) Jul '14 Nick 14
Pride Without Borders (Jun '14) Jun '14 Congressional Rep... 3
France's first M&M's store opens in Paris airport (Jun '14) Jun '14 personally 7
Kim, Kanye and Kardashian crowd converge on Paris (May '14) May '14 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
Bloodied shirt, unwashed fork: JPII relics abound (Apr '14) Apr '14 Sherlayne 1
More from around the web