Will This New Walgreens Concept Succeed in Big Cities?

Jun 2, 2013 Full story: Wall St. Cheat Sheet 8

What if you could stop by Walgreens in Chicago and get a manicure after snacking on sushi and filling a prescription? The company believes the concept is a winner and has unveiled a larger, more ambitious version of its drugstores in 10 urban locations across the U.S. Walgreens is betting the mall concept will work in big cities, given current ... (more)

Full Story

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#1 Jun 2, 2013
No.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#2 Jun 2, 2013
Some text from the article

"By 2016, Walgreens hopes to have 1,000 stores on this level, selling customers fresh produce and organic yogurt while helping them fill prescriptions and pick up other low-cost convenience items (and high-end beauty products) in the same trip....More staff will be on board, so customers get added face-time and feel comfortable eating and doing more shopping in other sections of the store."

Location hidden

#3 Jun 2, 2013
1,000 well-experience stores or 1,000 flagship stores?

I've noticed that Walgreens has a ton of goals in place for 2016.

I wonder if this will be like their tons of other ideas that end up getting canned.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#4 Jun 2, 2013
RacingFan20 wrote:
1,000 well-experience stores or 1,000 flagship stores?
I've noticed that Walgreens has a ton of goals in place for 2016.
I wonder if this will be like their tons of other ideas that end up getting canned.
It doesn't say. It just says, "Walgreens is planning to go much bigger in the coming years." I can't tell if it is in store size, selection, services or some combination of those things.
ovrwkdnundrpd

Austin, TX

#5 Jun 7, 2013
Does not much matter what their plans are - we the suckers will still be denied raises, have to put up with even more crap from pissed customer's who have spilled their latte's,(guess who get to clean that up?)Oh and did I mention get our hours cut?
Michael

New York, NY

#6 Jun 7, 2013
I think the flagship stores are great.. Just wish all stores could have the level of qualify

Location hidden

#7 Jun 7, 2013
Michael wrote:
I think the flagship stores are great.. Just wish all stores could have the level of qualify
I agree. I was in one last month, and a man in a suit was standing by the exit. Instead of the cashier telling me to be well, the greeter asked me if I needed any help out then told me to be well. It was really neat. The cashiers don't say all those lines. At the flagships, i think the door greeter does. It was at this one at least. It speeds up the checkout process.
WAG this

Marion, IN

#8 Jun 8, 2013
RacingFan20 wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. I was in one last month, and a man in a suit was standing by the exit. Instead of the cashier telling me to be well, the greeter asked me if I needed any help out then told me to be well. It was really neat. The cashiers don't say all those lines. At the flagships, i think the door greeter does. It was at this one at least. It speeds up the checkout process.
At the Wellness store I went to in Miami, there was no door greeter and the cashier never said a word as I came or went; none of the times that I went to the location. I was staying at the hotel across the street, so I went there frequently. They never asked for a BR card and were quite perturbed when I offered mine up and they had to wait for my zip code to be entered. The one cashier actually refused to scan my card and would only let me put my phone number in. When I do that, it brings up two profiles for me, but only one is attached to my employee discount. I tried to tell her this, but she chose the wrong one anyway. Then she conveniently didn't speak English. So I made her scan my card using Spanish. She wasn't happy. Happy & Healthy Flagship my ass!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Travel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Under UIC plan, part of Obama library complex w... Tue reality is a crutch 1
3 cities vie to make Obama best offer for library Dec 5 okimar 3
Laundry service app launches in Chicago Oct '14 John Simon 1
Flight of the monarchs in Texas in jeopardy Oct '14 amused 1
The Auxiliary of NorthShore University HealthSy... Oct '14 Amy S 1
Ebola Chicago: University of Chicago Medical Ce... Oct '14 Bama Yankee 1
Retrofit Chicago Awards: Windy City's Energy Ef... Oct '14 reality is a crutch 1