Puerto Vallarta hosts Tianguis Turistico

May 7, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Travel Weekly

Scenes from the 37th annual Tianguis Turistico travel trade event in Puerto Vallarta on Mexico's Pacific coast, and attractions in Guadalajara, Mexico's second largest city, represent the country's colorful and diverse history and culture.

Comments
1 - 20 of 62 Comments Last updated Jun 12, 2012
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Tepic, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2012

It was

“Facts”

Tepic, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2012

It was a huge success

Since: May 11

Milan, Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Puerto Vallarta... Nice place...

“Facts”

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Petru wrote:
Puerto Vallarta... Nice place...
I have travels the world and lived in many countries.
I still have a home in Sonoma county California.

And I can not think of a better place in the world to raise young children....

I have two in school now...

Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Yes, not far from San Francisco. Looks nice, wine country.

“Facts”

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Petru wrote:
Yes, not far from San Francisco. Looks nice, wine country.
Yes we were less than a hour to be down town SF

And it is very nice there......

But when it came to schools for my children there is no comparison to what I knew was here...

We had vacationed here for years and we knew the owner of a school and so when we went looking for schools in Nor Cal we were very disappointed...

My 3rd grade child is lined up standing at attention in from of the class at 7.45 AM
At 2,30 pm they can go home or take elective class that are a hour each and they can and do take three of them so school is from 7.45 AM until 5.30 pm and every other Saturday for science workshops for 6 hours...
This is for 3rd grade......
But it is normal and they know no different so they do it........Then there is a hour or so of homework 4 days per week....

To leave 2nd grade and enter 3rd grade the students must be able to do there 100 multiplication tables in 4 minutes....
They will have read books like Islands of the Blue dolphins in Spanish and English....

This is 6 or 7th grade level in California.........

Did Im mention tropical beaches???.......LOL

We love it and will be here at least until they are in High school.....

Milan, Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes we were less than a hour to be down town SF
And it is very nice there......
But when it came to schools for my children there is no comparison to what I knew was here...
We had vacationed here for years and we knew the owner of a school and so when we went looking for schools in Nor Cal we were very disappointed...
My 3rd grade child is lined up standing at attention in from of the class at 7.45 AM
At 2,30 pm they can go home or take elective class that are a hour each and they can and do take three of them so school is from 7.45 AM until 5.30 pm and every other Saturday for science workshops for 6 hours...
This is for 3rd grade......
But it is normal and they know no different so they do it........Then there is a hour or so of homework 4 days per week....
To leave 2nd grade and enter 3rd grade the students must be able to do there 100 multiplication tables in 4 minutes....
They will have read books like Islands of the Blue dolphins in Spanish and English....
This is 6 or 7th grade level in California.........
Did Im mention tropical beaches???.......LOL
We love it and will be here at least until they are in High school.....
Well... there is no perfect place. Maybe it is a bit uneasy for the children, but I always believe that in order to have good quality of life, one needs to be happy in the surroundings where they live, beyond work or school. For sure, there can be worse issues than those with schools, too...:)
Overall, as you said, it sounds well and it is eventually also for the best of your kids if they have a bit more severe teachers and system.

I guess climate is rather fine, but it is not too dry? San Francisco should be not that dry as other parts of California, from the little I know of that area...

“Facts”

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Petru wrote:
<quoted text>
Well... there is no perfect place. Maybe it is a bit uneasy for the children, but I always believe that in order to have good quality of life, one needs to be happy in the surroundings where they live, beyond work or school. For sure, there can be worse issues than those with schools, too...:)
Overall, as you said, it sounds well and it is eventually also for the best of your kids if they have a bit more severe teachers and system.
I guess climate is rather fine, but it is not too dry? San Francisco should be not that dry as other parts of California, from the little I know of that area...
Correct.....

I really like Sardina but it just got to cold in the winter.....
And the dam gypsies and Romanians were taking over Italy, robbing houses and burning cars and the government gave them freebies and treated them like some protected species....

San Francisco is very nice but it also is cold all year around.....
Jack London said the coldest winter he ever saw was a summer in San Francisco and he lived in Alaska.....

Th schools are horrible in California.
Ronald Reagan came up with a idea of no child left behind as his idea was that all children should get a good education but what happened was that they took the slowed child in a class and brought the entire class down to that level...

Puerto Vallarta has its bad things also....
But over all we really like it...

There are over 500k people in the whole bay and we just had the first American or Canadian murdered a few weeks ago at Starbucks.
A Canadian drug dealer was shot
The previous murders was almost three years ago and if you google Canadians murdered in Puerto Vallarta you will see they were druggies also...

I don't think there is one city in the USA that has a murder rate this low...

So for now we will live here and enjoy the tropics....

Milan, Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct.....
I really like Sardina but it just got to cold in the winter.....
And the dam gypsies and Romanians were taking over Italy, robbing houses and burning cars and the government gave them freebies and treated them like some protected species....
Burning cars, stealing...? Where did you get this from? I guess there are 1.000.000 Romanians in Italy and maybe 8.000 did some misdeeds. That is less than 10%, like 8%. How can you generalise it so easily?
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>San Francisco is very nice but it also is cold all year around.....
Jack London said the coldest winter he ever saw was a summer in San Francisco and he lived in Alaska.....
Oh, I guess that must have been Mark Twain and not Jack London. And he lived in Missouri and Florida, if I am not mistaken...:) Then I understand his remark on San Francisco.:)
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>Th schools are horrible in California.
Ronald Reagan came up with a idea of no child left behind as his idea was that all children should get a good education but what happened was that they took the slowed child in a class and brought the entire class down to that level...
Somewhere must have been a pedagogical error...
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>Puerto Vallarta has its bad things also....
But over all we really like it...
There are over 500k people in the whole bay and we just had the first American or Canadian murdered a few weeks ago at Starbucks.
A Canadian drug dealer was shot
The previous murders was almost three years ago and if you google Canadians murdered in Puerto Vallarta you will see they were druggies also...
I don't think there is one city in the USA that has a murder rate this low...
So for now we will live here and enjoy the tropics....
Very good...

“Facts”

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Petru wrote:
<quoted text>
Burning cars, stealing...? Where did you get this from? I guess there are 1.000.000 Romanians in Italy and maybe 8.000 did some misdeeds. That is less than 10%, like 8%. How can you generalise it so easily?
<quoted text>
Oh, I guess that must have been Mark Twain and not Jack London. And he lived in Missouri and Florida, if I am not mistaken...:) Then I understand his remark on San Francisco.:)
<quoted text>
Somewhere must have been a pedagogical error...
<quoted text>
Very good...
When I was there a few years ago there was a huge problem with the Romanians and I have friends still there and they say that the Romanians get first crack at jobs, the government is paying for their housing and he said the problem is worse

Milan, Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was there a few years ago there was a huge problem with the Romanians
In 2007, a minority person from Romania, the minority called Gypsies and originating in India had killed someone. This was politically instrumented by the government at that time, to try and drag the attention of the public of the faults that respective government was doing in other areas.
The result was that media caught this up and made really a bad case, with stupid generalisations and reductions. This was wrong and we see it today.
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>and I have friends still there and they say that the Romanians get first crack at jobs, the government is paying for their housing and he said the problem is worse
Well, I would really like to talk to this friend of yours. I am a Romanian, I was invited to work in Italy on quite a high-end job and I can guarantee you I have to pay for my housing and there is no real problem with Romanians here. Everybody works normal and if from time to time, there is some crazy one doing something, it is treated as normal. Any nation has its crazy ones, isn't it? I am curious why your friend is so judgemental.

“Facts”

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Petru wrote:
<quoted text>
In 2007, a minority person from Romania, the minority called Gypsies and originating in India had killed someone. This was politically instrumented by the government at that time, to try and drag the attention of the public of the faults that respective government was doing in other areas.
The result was that media caught this up and made really a bad case, with stupid generalisations and reductions. This was wrong and we see it today.
<quoted text>
Well, I would really like to talk to this friend of yours. I am a Romanian, I was invited to work in Italy on quite a high-end job and I can guarantee you I have to pay for my housing and there is no real problem with Romanians here. Everybody works normal and if from time to time, there is some crazy one doing something, it is treated as normal. Any nation has its crazy ones, isn't it? I am curious why your friend is so judgemental.
I agree with you.

I am not saying that all Romanians are bad I have a very good friend here from Romania
I can't pronounce his name so I call him Joe
His name is Iosif Stiucaru and that is a mouth full..........LOL

It is the Gypsies that are causing the problem and I should have used the right name....

Please take no offense as I under stand that many call me a gringo just because I am from the USA

Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you.
I am not saying that all Romanians are bad I have a very good friend here from Romania
I can't pronounce his name so I call him Joe
His name is Iosif Stiucaru and that is a mouth full..........LOL
It is the Gypsies that are causing the problem and I should have used the right name....
Please take no offense as I under stand that many call me a gringo just because I am from the USA
It is ok. Media is playing around too much with these things, in Europe.

But yes, these are a minority, whom in 600 years did not manage to really integrate. Not that us, as a majority really ever cared much. They were mostly kept as slaves, as the African Americans in the US and then liberated around 1862... Still in 1862 you could see such announcements in the Romanians principates: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sclavi_Tiga...
Then time passed, the communism came and around 1970, Ceausescu forbid abortion. In twenty years their number tripled. Well... we as a majority, never cared again... so we see today the results. I hope future would bring better, but... it is not easy.
We cannot undergrade their rights as EU citizens today, but we should make a real integration effort. Unfortunately, now there is the economical crisis and we have yet again a reason to do nothing.

How about safety in Puero Vallarta? Mexico is not known as a safe country...

“Facts”

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2012

Petru wrote:
<quoted text>
It is ok. Media is playing around too much with these things, in Europe.
But yes, these are a minority, whom in 600 years did not manage to really integrate. Not that us, as a majority really ever cared much. They were mostly kept as slaves, as the African Americans in the US and then liberated around 1862... Still in 1862 you could see such announcements in the Romanians principates: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sclavi_Tiga...
Then time passed, the communism came and around 1970, Ceausescu forbid abortion. In twenty years their number tripled. Well... we as a majority, never cared again... so we see today the results. I hope future would bring better, but... it is not easy.
We cannot undergrade their rights as EU citizens today, but we should make a real integration effort. Unfortunately, now there is the economical crisis and we have yet again a reason to do nothing.
How about safety in Puero Vallarta? Mexico is not known as a safe country...
Mexico has some very dangerous places but so does the USA

Washington DC has a higher murder rate than even Mexico City.....

Just east of Disneyland in LA has a higher crime rate than Guadalajara.....

The border areas are very dangerous.....

Puerto Vallarta has about 500K people living in the bay and we have had one American or Canadian killed this year....

Spring break we had a million people come and not one case of a violent crime....

I have a 8 year old and 5 year old and they can wonder block away from our house even into the town of Punta De Mita and that is dirt street with 99 percent Mexicans...
My kids have friends there that their house is smaller than my bedroom but they can go and hang out...

When we go to Vallarta proper like in the Marina they are free to wonder around after dinner and many of the stores and restaurants will let them get a ice cream or juice and me pay later...

I would never give them this type of freedom in Pier 39 a tourist are of San Francisco....

I have a fiend that still lives in Ukiah Ca.......Google it.......They have had about 5 murders this year with about 15k people

We travel to Mexico City and there are very dangerous places there but many that are safe.....
But I don't let my kids out of my site there....

So all in all Puerto Vallarta is very safe......
And did I mention palm tree lined beaches??

Milan, Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

In general while having little children, you should not leave them out of your sight, but ok, it sounds great for an area where you and your family live then.
How warm does it get there daytime usually and how actually... still warm... does it remain during nighttime?
Szatmari

Brunswick, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

Judged:

So in other words Petrovski The Romanian state is responsible for the way Romanian citizens act. You mistreated your poor gypsies for so long, now you have a reputation as being gypsies. Romania has made its own bed!

“Facts”

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

Petru wrote:
In general while having little children, you should not leave them out of your sight, but ok, it sounds great for an area where you and your family live then.
How warm does it get there daytime usually and how actually... still warm... does it remain during nighttime?
They have grown up here......
They play soccer on the street....

The family values here would also be like rural Italy where every adult looks out for every child....

My children routinely are given a time out by another childs parent and we do the same.....

Yesterday we had a low of 17 and a high of 29

Rainy season is coming and the lightning storms are great

Milan, Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
They have grown up here......
They play soccer on the street....
Yeah... good old times. Today, I saw it also in Romania and all over Eastern Europe. Children do not play much football outside anymore. Mostly everything in this direction is in special clubs or maybe interest for football decreased than since I was young.
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>The family values here would also be like rural Italy where every adult looks out for every child....
Well, when the children are little, like less than six, we do that also quite often in Eastern Europe.
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>My children routinely are given a time out by another childs parent and we do the same.....
Ok...
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>Yesterday we had a low of 17 and a high of 29
Rainy season is coming and the lightning storms are great
Summer!...:) How long is that rainy season there?

“Facts”

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

Petru wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah... good old times. Today, I saw it also in Romania and all over Eastern Europe. Children do not play much football outside anymore. Mostly everything in this direction is in special clubs or maybe interest for football decreased than since I was young.
<quoted text>
Well, when the children are little, like less than six, we do that also quite often in Eastern Europe.
<quoted text>
Ok...
<quoted text>
Summer!...:) How long is that rainy season there?
The attitude is like suburban USA in the 50s.....
It takes a whole village to raise a child....
A very frequent scenario we have is my kids eating lunch or just a bowl of chopped fruit with a bunch of other children and I have to ask them to introduce me to who they are....
This Mary and she lives next door to Juans grandmothers brothers uncle.....You know Juan with the red bicycle.....
I just say ok....hello and welcome to my house...

That attitude never goes away here and yes I understand how the communities are similar....
Here like old Europe we do not have retirement homes.....Grand pa and grand ma live in the same house or maybe next door....

Rainy season can start anytime in May and go until as late as October......

Normal is July thru September.....And we get two to three meters of rain during that period....

Milan, Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2012

Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
The attitude is like suburban USA in the 50s.....
It takes a whole village to raise a child....
A very frequent scenario we have is my kids eating lunch or just a bowl of chopped fruit with a bunch of other children and I have to ask them to introduce me to who they are....
This Mary and she lives next door to Juans grandmothers brothers uncle.....You know Juan with the red bicycle.....
I just say ok....hello and welcome to my house...
This is unfortunately a bit gone in Europe, maybe still really in deep countryside somewhere, we still have it...
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>That attitude never goes away here and yes I understand how the communities are similar....
Here like old Europe we do not have retirement homes.....Grand pa and grand ma live in the same house or maybe next door....
Yeah, depending on the family, in Europe, this is also not something I would say necessarily very uncommon. I would say it is more common in Southern and Eastern Europe, than in Northern Europe. Western Europe... it depends, I really do not know how the Brits are, in this respect.
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>Rainy season can start anytime in May and go until as late as October......
Normal is July thru September.....And we get two to three meters of rain during that period....
Wow, exactly when most of people working in the USA have vacation, or?...:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Brasov, Romania Travel Discussions

Search the Brasov, Romania Travel Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Teenager to spend month at orphanage (Jun '11) Jun '11 SteveInRO 3
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••