In China, a recoil against xenophobia

In China, a recoil against xenophobia

There are 113 comments on the The Washington Post story from May 24, 2012, titled In China, a recoil against xenophobia. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

This time, however, the technique does not seem to be working as well as it used to.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

Xi Jinping

Redwood City, CA

#22 May 25, 2012
CCPwillcollapse wrote:
Spoken like someone who has never been to China, "Ray"!
Either that, or someone intentionally peddling propaganda lies for CCP nickels.
The "high degree of racial integration" in China must be the source of the crowds that gather to gawk at any non-Han, or the routine treating of ethnic minorities in China as second-class citizens! Hah!
What a FOOLISH CLOWN you look like when you spew these CCP fables!
RayH tries to be a fanatic CP member for the aluminum medal of year 2012
I can read

Falkirk, UK

#23 May 25, 2012
Natty Bumppo wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you misinterpreted what I said or you don't speak English. Calling the president a "timid black president" is hardly racist. He is black afterall isn't he? I could call a white president a "timid white president" but you wouldn't think that racist would you? What is it with this race thing and you stupid liberals? The world does not revolve around this issue as much as you would like it to.
You were meant to be explaining what relevance the presidents skin colour has on diplomatic relations between China and the USA and thus showing you had a valid reason to mention his skin colour rather than the mere fact that you are obsessed by him being black.
2 Cents

Taipei, Taiwan

#24 May 25, 2012
These discussions ruffle a lot of feathers because its a sensitive topic that touches upon all of us personally. Almost all of us have, at some points in our lives, experienced the ugliness of racism either as its victim or perpetrator or more likely both. The reality is that racism is alive and well in both the most and least racially diverse societies.

In homogenous societies, the form of racism is more subtle as the lack of minorities make the incidences of overt discrimination low. It is not uncommon to hear people say that there is no racism here because there are no other races. People are racist without even knowing it. In diverse societies, incidences of overt discrimination are higher but there is at least a better awareness of its existence.

Maybe it is our nature to fear or hate those who are different from us. Evolutionarily speaking, fearing those who are different from us probably offered some survival advantages. Ending racism is a battle that will require each of us to constantly use our evolved rationality to check our more primitive instincts.
New China

Wuhan, China

#25 May 25, 2012
who will hate outlanders without any reason?
RayH

Shenzhen, China

#27 May 25, 2012
New China wrote:
who will hate outlanders without any reason?
Racism is Taught.
Rambeaux

United States

#29 May 26, 2012
That's odd! They seemed to like foreigners just fine at their Olympic games in Beijing.
Ni Shuo Sha

Shenyang, China

#30 May 26, 2012
RayH wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't answer my question about being a second class citizen in Canada.
My cousin got a job in Vancouver because he can speak Chinese and English. I dont think other canadians can had of got that job. Are you one of those despondent low educated americans or Canadians who run away from home because no jobs in your country?
boondock saint

Nonthaburi, Thailand

#31 May 26, 2012
'xenophobia' He done went and through out one of them there $2 word's, I'll take and tell.
BARBARIANS MUST GO

Brooklyn, NY

#32 May 26, 2012
Chinese prefer to be among themselves.
THIRD WORLD AMERICA

Brooklyn, NY

#33 May 26, 2012
Natty Bumppo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny, we don't hear much about the KKK these days, but we do hear about the racist New Black Panthers, don't we. We hear about the Rev Wright, the racist black preacher that Obama hung out with for 20 years before he threw him under the bus. We hear that Obama is the most divisive president we've had in modern times. The man is impotent as a president and should be impeached for violating the constitution over and over. Take your "racism" and stick it up your big ass you New York freak.
America; Love it or leave it.
New China

Wuhan, China

#34 May 27, 2012
RayH wrote:
<quoted text>
Racism is Taught.
You'd be hard put to find any racism in China.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#35 May 27, 2012
BARBARIANS MUST GO wrote:
Chinese prefer to be among themselves.
Yeah, that's why some of them go to New York...you know, to be among themselves...
New China

Wuhan, China

#36 May 27, 2012
How do you explain some of westerners steal to Beijing, shanghai etc. cities for jobs , for living...

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#37 May 27, 2012
New China wrote:
How do you explain some of westerners steal to Beijing, shanghai etc. cities for jobs , for living...
Steal what?
BEHAVE YOURSELVES

Brooklyn, NY

#38 May 27, 2012
New China wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent point.

“Is better than Dogma”

Since: Mar 09

Peking Duck University

#39 May 27, 2012
BEHAVE YOURSELVES wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent point.
I guess only two of you understand each other

LOL

Look at the involvement of China in Tibet today.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#40 May 27, 2012
New China wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!!!!!!

Someone from the CCP posted this, it must be true!!!!!!!
FOREIGNERS MUST GO

Brooklyn, NY

#41 May 27, 2012
From this thread alone, one can see who are the Chinese and who are the barbarians.
ARUN NAAYA

Secaucus, NJ

#42 May 27, 2012
New China wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a very brazen statement to make especially in a forum which is infested with effing racists like fargo, many names, 61 percent etc.But the Chinamen as can be seen are very shameless and crude.So the brazenness...
ARUN NAAYA

Secaucus, NJ

#43 May 27, 2012
FOREIGNERS MUST GO wrote:
From this thread alone, one can see who are the Chinese and who are the barbarians.
Chinaman equals barbarian.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beijing, China Travel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Miss World Canada says visa to China delayed be... (Nov '15) Feb '16 NYPD 6
News US $1.83 billion arms sales for Taiwan draws Ch... Dec '15 John McCharlie 13
News Canada's claims of NRC hacking 'irresponsible,'... (Aug '14) Dec '15 Bake Flaire 2
News Kelantan's Beijing Mosque A Symbol Of Islam's U... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Thinking 13
News Plane birth latest in bizarre airplane incidents (Oct '15) Oct '15 DILF 3
News North Korea's Kim Jong-Un meets with Cuba's vic... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Le Jimbo 2
News Chinese media outlet uses racial slur at US envoy (Feb '14) Aug '15 Shucks 2
More from around the web